HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers talking contract with Marty Biron

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Sky Valley

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
If you're going to judge him off if 5 games, then he's also Vezina calibre on the basis of the early part of the season. Same team in front of him.

I seriously doubt his ability has suddenly cratered within the past 2 months.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

That's all i have to say.

You guys can say whatever you want. But a goalie who has a save percentage of .857 through the last 2 months of play, facing very few shots, playing in front of a team that has a goalie with the best save percentage in the NHL is either playing awful, terrible, garbage, whatever you want to say, OR Henrik Lundqvist is making this team look WAY better than it actually is and he should win every single applicable award there is to offer.

however you want to frame it, is your call.
You can't just take away a shutout. If we took out all of the shutouts Lundqvist had he would not be a Vezina trophy contender. You can't just take it away.

He has been all you can ask for. The reason they let up less shots is because they play a slightly more defensive style with him in.

Also, he was hung out to dry versus CHI.

What else can you ask for?

Old
02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
You can't just take away a shutout. If we took out all of the shutouts Lundqvist had he would not be a Vezina trophy contender. You can't just take it away.

He has been all you can ask for. The reason they let up less shots is because they play a slightly more defensive style with him in.

Also, he was hung out to dry versus CHI.

What else can you ask for?
did you watch the shutout? he had maybe 1 hard save the entire game. Toronto mustered 20 shots, none of which were particularly challenging for a good goalie.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
did you watch the shutout? he had maybe 1 hard save the entire game. Toronto mustered 20 shots, none of which were particularly challenging for a good goalie.
So we can take away every easy save a goalie has had? Or every shutout that was less than 25 Saves.

Oh please.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
So we can take away every easy save a goalie has had? Or every shutout that was less than 25 Saves.

Oh please.
no, not at all, all im saying is, he hasnt played well over the last 2 months. add in the 20 saves, his save percentage is still terrible. .879

Old
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think he will be back and these will be the terms.......nice to see them looking to sign up Prust and Biron ,both are obvious resign options so may as well take care of it now
i think so and hope so....both are great locker room guys as well.prust is a must sign.i like Biron but can live without him. He likes NY he will take whats fair and stay.

Sather seems, over the last few years to have gotten his **** straight...at one point i didnt know wht the hell he was upto.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:25 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Inferno is right! Biron been shake for a while now..Last fe starts i havent had that confidence in him to get us a win... i dont know if he is getting rusty just not playing,if thats the case then he shouldnt be an NHL back up,maybe hes just a little cold,I d k to be honmest. in general i do like the guy as a back up.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he's an ok backup that's been exposed recently for a lack of mobility side to side, and a GIGANTIC 5-hole when he tries to spread out to cover up for his lack of mobility side to side.

i dunno who else is available out there, but i wouldnt be so quick to lock this guy up for anything more than 1 year.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Convenient that you leave out the part where the defense essentially gave up 3 goals by themselves while taking away one of his shutouts.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
he's an ok backup that's been exposed recently for a lack of mobility side to side, and a GIGANTIC 5-hole when he tries to spread out to cover up for his lack of mobility side to side.

i dunno who else is available out there, but i wouldnt be so quick to lock this guy up for anything more than 1 year.
I don't know if I want him for even that 1 year deal . He has been awful...do we have nobody in the organization that can be like Bunny Larocque was for the Habs when he backed up Dryden ? I'm sure there must be somebody that we can have in the spot for 800,000 or less .Heck we could dress Red Light Messina who used to be a goalie back in the day to stop pucks with our defense in front of him .

Old
02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:

That's all i have to say.

You guys can say whatever you want. But a goalie who has a save percentage of .857 through the last 2 months of play, facing very few shots, playing in front of a team that has a goalie with the best save percentage in the NHL is either playing awful, terrible, garbage, whatever you want to say, OR Henrik Lundqvist is making this team look WAY better than it actually is and he should win every single applicable award there is to offer.

however you want to frame it, is your call.
Inferno math at it again...I'm pretty sure number of shots faced is already factored into save percentage. Your argument once again is just a lot of noise. Love ya kid, but calm it down big fella.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Convenient that you leave out the part where the defense essentially gave up 3 goals by themselves while taking away one of his shutouts.
i didnt. i mentioned it specifically actually.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:

This has been exposed big time since Kovalchuk fired one through it in the shoot out. His 5 hole is tremendous.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

problem the rangers have is...Clearly Henrik plays better when hes a lil more rested...you need to have a competent goalie in there who can give you about 20 good starts. Biron was most definitely that guy until Christmas, since then he's been a big time liability between the pipes, so much so that i'm pretty much chalking any start he has the rest of the way as a game we'll probably lose.

If biron could regain his form, be square to the shooters, get back to stepping out of the crease a bit to cut down angles, and close his 5-hole a bit, he'll be fine.

His problem is he's trying to play a little too much like Henrik. Deep in his net. Henrik can do that because he is lightning quick side to side and has phenomenal reaction times. Biron needs to play a little more like Ryan Miller. Challenge the shooter, force them to beat you with a perfect shot or going around you. If they go around you, that's on the D for not picking them up. If your 5-hole is the size of the grand canyon, that's on you.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He has a career SV% of .911. Is he having a bad stretch? Sure. Does every goalie? Of course. He's an ideal backup with a solid track record. We have nothing better in the system, and assuming he asks for reasonable terms, we're not going to find anything better on the UFA market.

This is a no-brainer.

It's just pain.
Old
02-23-2012, 07:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Going to be hard to keep him around for much less. With the kind of numbers he's putting up this season, he will be a hot commodity come July 1st, I'm sure his agent knows it. If we have the cap space I'm not concerning about overpaying a bit to secure him as our back-up, since it will surely be a 1-2 year deal max.
If he's looking for that kind of money, then he can look somewhere else, because Slats isn't going to give it to him. Vokoun only got 1.5 this year and he's a starter. I doubt anyone is looking to make Biron a #1 goalie.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He has a career SV% of .911. Is he having a bad stretch? Sure. Does every goalie? Of course. He's an ideal backup with a solid track record. We have nothing better in the system, and assuming he asks for reasonable terms, we're not going to find anything better on the UFA market.

This is a no-brainer.
This is HF Boards though

Reasonable expectations are out of the question

Old
02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

This is a no-brainer.
see...is 2 months a bad stretch? to me that's a lot longer than just a bad stretch. he's looked uncomfortable for a while now. wondering if hes having some sort of leg issues too...his lateral movement has seemingly disappeared, leading to the 5-hole becoming a whole lot bigger than usual.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
This is HF Boards though

Reasonable expectations are out of the question
asking him to stop about 91% of the shots he sees is not unreasonable.

he was outstanding to start the season, you'll get nobody to argue that...well maybe wolfgaze, he may pull out the thesaurus and tell me why that particular word doesn't apply, and how "superb" would be a better term to use, but everyone else would be on the same boat there.

he was playing WAY over his head to start the season, and is playing WAY under his normal level right now. I'd much rather have a goalie who's ~.910sv% night in and night out than a goalie who goes .950 for 2 months then .870 for 2 months...ya know?

Old
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Is Glen Healey available?

Old
02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Eh, it's two months, but like 4 of 5 starts. Hard to break out of a slump when you only see sporadic action.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
asking him to stop about 91% of the shots he sees is not unreasonable.

he was outstanding to start the season, you'll get nobody to argue that...well maybe wolfgaze, he may pull out the thesaurus and tell me why that particular word doesn't apply, and how "superb" would be a better term to use, but everyone else would be on the same boat there.

he was playing WAY over his head to start the season, and is playing WAY under his normal level right now. I'd much rather have a goalie who's ~.910sv% night in and night out than a goalie who goes .950 for 2 months then .870 for 2 months...ya know?
Yeah, but 2 months for him is like 2 weeks of action for a starter. And starters have that kind of variation in their stats all the time. Having a stretch of 3 bad games is like a month for biron.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Emptyvoid

Inferno, how many backups are there in the league that do a better or equal job to Biron?

Old
02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Inferno, how many backups are there in the league that do a better or equal job to Biron?
you mean goalies that play say 10-25 games so far this season who have a better sv%?
Rask
Schneider
Greiss
Harding
Enroth

Just some food for thought. His Sv% is only .01 better than Jason Labarbera.

Im too lazy to do the numbers, but it would be very interesting to see what the biggest gap is between starting goalie and backup goalies sv% this season, minimum 10 games played for the backup.

anyone care to do the math?

Old
02-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Rangerfans

Because Schneider and Rask aren't going to be asking for a lot more and/or starting positions?

Harding is the only one who I would consider. Biron is a great locker room presence, he likes it here, I still feel competent in him.

I would resign Biron with no hesitation.

Quote:
you mean goalies that play say 10-25 games so far this season who have a better sv%?
Rask
Schneider
Greiss
Harding
Enroth

Just some food for thought. His Sv% is only .01 better than Jason Labarbera.

Im too lazy to do the numbers, but it would be very interesting to see what the biggest gap is between starting goalie and backup goalies sv% this season, minimum 10 games played for the backup.

anyone care to do the math?

Closed Thread