HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
rockjngo

vCash: 500
Mikhail Grigorenko

Ht/Wt: 6' 3"/200 lbs
Position: C/RW
Team: Quebec (QMJHL)

I head comparisons to Evgeni Malkin, Vincent Lecavalier, Jean Beliveau and Alexander Yakushev.

Old
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
TheBuriedHab

Uhhh ok.

Old
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
ClasslessGuy

What does malkin beliveau and yakushev have in common?

Old
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'll tell you what, he'll never be le Gros Bill or even remotely close. Greatest Hab ever.

Old
02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Grigorenko is like a slower Evgeni Malkin in several ways. He is primarily a playmaker who can make some VERY pretty passes, but has shown excellent goal-scoring ability. His skating is fine, but he's not explosive like Malkin. If he can improve his skating, then he could be a player that dominates on some nights. His size is nice to have. One thing of note: he has been hampered recently by the injury he got from the WJC.

And if he ever becomes as good as Beliveau, then

Old
02-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Et le But

The Beliveau comparisons are blasphemous. Nobody should even think of going there until he proves something in the NHL.

The lack of speed thing is significant. And he's not particularly physical. It means less Malkin, more Thornton and Yashin. Which is not a bad thing by any means.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Habitants

interesting notes on a few players here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388658

Quote:
Fallers

Mikhail Grigorenko: There had been whispers over the past month that all may not be wonderful when it comes to the scouting world's perception of Grigorenko's competitiveness, but the whispers have grown into full-blown skepticism in some circles. "He could fall right off the map," said one scout who asserted that his club won't be considering him in the first round.

"He doesn't want to compete. If he's there at 25 and we are picking, we go by him."

His concerns were echoed by another eastern conference scout who insisted his team will not select the talented Russian no matter where they end up in the standings. "He's a dog. Take a look at what games Grigorenko gets his points. He gets a handful the other night against PEI. none at Moncton, and one assist (in the nationally televised game) in Saint John. A couple of weeks ago in Rimouski he's minus 6. He scares the (crap) out of me." While there's no denying his skill level, and his 73 points in 39 games as a QMJHL rookie are a testament to his offensive abilities, there will be a lot of teams watching him closely in the playoffs to see whether he has the competitive streak scouts like to see in their top five prospects. As of right now a number of teams have several players ranked ahead of him, and that trend will continue if he does not learn to compete at a higher level.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post

Wow that is damning and if that opinion is widespread he could fall out of the top 5 easily. I hope Galchenyuk is still there for us.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Yashin 2.0

Old
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

Interesting! I really like what I've seen of Collberg. If we end up in the later part of the top 10, he'd be a nice option.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

We don't know who said what.

For all we know, it could be the guy that likened Brassard to Sakic. I very much doubt Grigs drops out of the top 5, no way he gets to 25.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fallers

Mikhail Grigorenko: There had been whispers over the past month that all may not be wonderful when it comes to the scouting world's perception of Grigorenko's competitiveness, but the whispers have grown into full-blown skepticism in some circles. "He could fall right off the map," said one scout who asserted that his club won't be considering him in the first round.

"He doesn't want to compete. If he's there at 25 and we are picking, we go by him."
LOL I stopped reading right there.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Maybe he's bored of playing in the juniors with scrubby 17 year olds when he knows he's gonna be in the pros next season?

Old
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
NotProkofievian

I don't buy it. If Grigs falls to us and we don't bite I'll be pissed.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I don't buy it. If Grigs falls to us and we don't bite I'll be pissed.
I think a lot of that is hyperbole by scouts who want their quotes to appear in the news. No way would anyone pass up on him at 25.

But the concerns are there, and I can see why someone would want Galchenyuk or even Forsberg before him, or for the teams that need D.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think a lot of that is hyperbole by scouts who want their quotes to appear in the news. No way would anyone pass up on him at 25.

But the concerns are there, and I can see why someone would want Galchenyuk or even Forsberg before him, or for the teams that need D.
If we got Galchenyuk instead, I think I might survive. But Grigorenko is a special talent. And I think you're right. I think it's a bunch of no name scouts being dramatic.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
If we got Galchenyuk instead, I think I might survive. But Grigorenko is a special talent. And I think you're right. I think it's a bunch of no name scouts being dramatic.
Grigorenko has more talent than anyone in the draft besides Yakupov, but a talented enigma who plays when he wants, expected to be the saviour in Montreal is a recipe for disaster. Both Galchenyuk and Forsberg have huge ceilings themselves and I can see why scouts would find their risks to be worth it over a player who they feel is lazy.

But no way do I see Grigorenko drop out of the top 8 or so. If the Habs pick top 5, one of him, Galchenyuk or Forsberg I'd be more than happy with. But I think a lot of people on this board have tried to turn Grigorenko into something he's not. Expecting him to be Malkin, let alone Beliveau, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

If the idea is to go with BPA/Needs and it means going for a centerman, my bet would be that while it's obviously not determined, OBVIOUSLY, I don't see Galchenyuk being moved to the wings while it's a real possibility for Grigorenko. So if they come up with the fact that they have similar talent yet, want to do like 2006 or 2007 and their D shopping, and go shopping for a Centerman....go for Galchenyuk. And frankly, again, I have Galchenyuk ahead anyway.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Grigorenko has more talent than anyone in the draft besides Yakupov, but a talented enigma who plays when he wants, expected to be the saviour in Montreal is a recipe for disaster. Both Galchenyuk and Forsberg have huge ceilings themselves and I can see why scouts would find their risks to be worth it over a player who they feel is lazy.

But no way do I see Grigorenko drop out of the top 8 or so. If the Habs pick top 5, one of him, Galchenyuk or Forsberg I'd be more than happy with. But I think a lot of people on this board have tried to turn Grigorenko into something he's not. Expecting him to be Malkin, let alone Beliveau, is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Maybe I'm wrong about this: but this "plays when he wants" thing was never an issue before he got injured. I never heard it mentioned. Unless someone can show me something from earlier in the year...

I mean, what is this all based upon?

Old
02-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Protest the Hero

Really wish we had another first rounder to get Collberg. I bet he ends up in Washington.

Edit: I remember last year people were clamoring for Frk, it's a shame he got a concussion, but it's no excuse to get out of shape.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Really wish we had another first rounder to get Collberg. I bet he ends up in Washington.

Edit: I remember last year people were clamoring for Frk, it's a shame he got a concussion, but it's no excuse to get out of shape.
A late first rounder that would give us a shot at either Collberg or Hertl would be perfect.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
dcal64

Quote:

Not really unbelievable, some teams don't want to draft Russians in the 1st round. So it is possible that a team picking 25th would pass over Grigs, I just don't see him dropping to 25th.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
A late first rounder that would give us a shot at either Collberg or Hertl would be perfect.
I think Collberg is hovering around the top 10 right now, especially if teams are looking for a top offensive talent.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Want Hertl

Old
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Carolina is in OT with Anaheim, so we currently hold the 3rd pick!

Not too sure it's that awesome of a spot to be in this draft though. Grigorenko scares me more and more, while it seems early for Galchenyuk.

Closed Thread