HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Omni Owl
Ray of Black Sun

vCash: 500
Well, we still have Hickey...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagame7474 View Post
Sucks for you guys if you make the playoffs. You know? The time of the year when Jeff Carter completely vanishes?? And trust me. He will. He always does. I'm from Philly. I've seen it every time.
That's what I tried to say. Very few listened. Guess we'll see what happens.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I don't doubt Carters talent, in fact I liked him in Philly more than Richards, but he's not a winger. Period. So unless the Kings aren't done and are looking for quality on the wing, they haven't addressed the holes at that position with this trade. Trading DB23 only creates a bigger hole there. This amounts to a shakeup move that will cost the team in the long run if Carter can't stay healthy unless they back it up with more moves.
Injuries can happen at any time, but Carter being "injury prone" is somewhat overblown. He's already played 500 games and it's not even 7 full seasons. He's played 80 games 4 times, 74 the year we went to the Finals, so tack on 12 more playoff games to that year.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 67
Good trade for you guys.

What's your lineup look like?

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Sounds like Carts is not gonna play against the Hawks
Where are you hearing that?

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
We overpaid for Carter.

Johnson for Carter straight up would have been fine.

Carter better produce.
Johnson for Carter straight up would have been a fleecing. We did not overpay. He scores 30-40 goals every year like clockwork. You don't get 40 goals for Jack Johnson alone.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagame7474 View Post
Sucks for you guys if you make the playoffs. You know? The time of the year when Jeff Carter completely vanishes?? And trust me. He will. He always does. I'm from Philly. I've seen it every time.
Right on bro!

Hey, be sure to kick my beagle on the way out.

Boba Fettuccine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

I remember during the 2008 season wishing we had Carter and Richards with Kopitar.....and now look at us!....we're still not gonna score :/

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Does Carter play LW or RW when he plays wing?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
bobafettish*

if only DL wasn't inept at coaching choices and free agency. he wouldn't have to stab players in the back.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

From Rick Tocchet's twitter:
Quote:
Carter might be dangerous now ...people question his heart , his attitude , leadership and playoff performances ....he might just turn his career around ...plus Richards will play even harder now ...
http://twitter.com/#!/RealRocket22

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
If Brown and Bernier go for Hemsky plus, I will go down to Lombardi's office and kick him square in the nuts.
I'd shake his hand and offer him protection if he made that move That said I couldn't hold back an angry mob all by myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
There's no chance of that. His balls are safe.
If there's one thing I've learned it is never say never. That said I'd love to have Brown in an Oilers jersey but doubt that Hemsky would be the chip that gets the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Right on bro!

Hey, be sure to kick my beagle on the way out.
Isn't that what Beagle's are for?

02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
xXxCrosby87Xx*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJcaXDaBZI

xXxCrosby87Xx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:33 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
if only DL wasn't inept at coaching choices and free agency. he wouldn't have to stab players in the back.
Holy hyperbole. What are your thoughts on Paul Holmgren?

Don't get married to players. Loyalty runs as deep as success.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
William H Bonney

Not sure how I feel on the trade. Like most trades, only time will really tell. For starters, I'm a huge JJ fan that feels he was unfairly evaluated by quite a few Kings fans on here. But, trying not to factor that into the deal, I understand the move. The Kings had to trade from an area of strength and JJ was the logical choice. They weren't going to trade Doughty and Voynov/Martinez wouldn't be a centerpiece to any deal for a piece we need so JJ was the odd man out. The other option was Bernier but he wouldn't be the main cog to a deal either for what we needed. I'm still not sold on Voynov though. Other than his hot start when he first came up, he progressively got worse to the point where he was consistently below average. He still (understandably) has a lot of work to do.

On the other hand, while the team needs Carter's offensive talents, he's pretty damn inconsistent and he better bring his 08/09 season game year-in-year-out or the Kings are still missing the actual talent this team lacks. Again, the team needed something so it's hard to fault the move but it's clear this team has needed this for years so it's something that should have already been addressed by Lombardi. Carter will help but he's not the proven player some are acting like he is that's going to fix what ails this offense. I've watched more Flyers games than I care to admit (brother is huge Flyers nut) and I hope Carter can find the consistency here that he hasn't found elsewhere (other than being a consistently good offensive player because the team needs more than that). We also just shoved off a player that elevates his game for the playoffs for a player that disappears.

I don't like the precedent this sets for the young team though. I understand that the players understand it's a business but don't kid yourselves if these young players don't continue to see players commit to this team the way Lombardi always preaches and then he turns around and ships them out. Whatever you think of Johnson's or Carter's play, we just traded a guy that wanted to be here long term and was one of the handful, at most, players on this team that brought a full effort every game for a player that whined, cried, and loafed his way out of his latest team.

I hope this works out, though, because first and foremost I'm a Kings fan. I'll still be a huge JJ fan rooting for him and following his game in Columbus. If Lombardi is our GM going forward though, I hope all NHL Players take note: If you actually want to play in LA long term, sign a long term contract with the Flyers. He'll eventually trade for you.

02-23-2012, 08:36 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

This.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Jackets fan here in peace.

I liked Carter and was hoping that Howson would build around him and Nash. So much for that.

Philly fans watched him a lot longer than me, but from what I saw he is a very smooth skater, and has a tremendous wrist shot, which he can let loose with authority while in stride. He also knows what to do with the puck in front of the net. And yes, he will go to the front of the net and score the dirty goals.

The only thing that I thought he was weak at was his D-zone coverage. In our game with Chicago, Toews made Carter look like a tree stump when he skated around him and scored. If he is happy to be in L.A. that will be a big plus. He obviously wasn't happy here.

Hopefully the trade works out for both teams.

Dr. Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
AVfan4LIFE

Congrats Kings fans. I was waiting and waiting for you guys to make a deal and im happy to see you guys got what you needed. Being a Colorado fan I feel our playoff chances just went down a little more Good thing we played you last night Either way congratulations.

AVfan4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Kingurentai

I'm not all about Carter as he's yet another natural center. But we needed something big and we got it. Sorry to see JJ go, but you have to give to get. Here are the definite positives:

1. Get on that plane, Slava. I don't care if JJ becomes the next coming of Coffey for all I care. If there is any position in which we could take that risk, it's D.

2. Unless Bernier goes in a separate trade, we'll have an easier time keeping Quick (although I'm still ok with trading Bernier for something worthwhile in return).

Now what I am hoping for are:

1. Carter and Richards re-uniting and looking to give a giant F-U to all of Philly and the NHL. I'm pretty sure Richards had some say in this matter and I'm ok with that.

2. Stoll and one of Penner/Lewis/Richardson gone for something decent in return.

Better see some friggin fire out there Saturday night

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:

holmgren is an A-hole as well.

my opinion on JJ isnt even that high.

DL has always spewed "character" and right "type of people" as to building a winner. JJ signs his contract with no agent, and what does he get as a reward, a ticket to nhl's black hole.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Johnson for Carter straight up would have been a fleecing. We did not overpay. He scores 30-40 goals every year like clockwork. You don't get 40 goals for Jack Johnson alone.
He is not scoring 40 goals next season. Not even 35. Or 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Jackets fan here in peace.

I liked Carter and was hoping that Howson would build around him and Nash. So much for that.
Don't worry, the deal is good for you.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

Awful trade. Awful value.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Surprised we haven't heard a peep from Richards' twitter, probably talking up a storm with Carter

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cruel11
Maximoff

Kings are playing against the Jackets on the 8th. That's too soon!

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:

You know Tony. I actually agree with you. This is a business and everyone that gets into it knows that. This is not an awful trade, I don't like it but atleast the Kings are getting a legit first line player back as opposed to Greene and Stoll...and I can live with this deal something had to be done.

But if you are going to make moves like this and the Visnovsky trades don't preach BS about building a culture and tattoos on *****. Just say you want to try and ice the most talented team. Don't say your looking for guys with Kings tattoos then trade them to Edmonton and Columbus. Don't say you value character players then trade for Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

In the mind of this franchise loyalty is a one way street, and that's not right. We better never hear the word tattoo or culture come out of Disease's mouth.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote