HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Ft. Wayne?

Old
02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
adsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Well I do love the Packers but the Brewers suck and I couldn't careless about the NBA.
The Brewers won 96 games last year; 81 more than the Packers.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
The Brewers won 96 games last year; 81 more than the Packers.
Only play 2 months longer and 146 more games.....

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
That was the Franke's goal. Midwestern bus league, wrong economic times for that. Sametime the economy crumbled. The UHL was nice but they lost all the eastern teams and tried to compensate by tapping into questionable places like Chicago.

Why do you figure Chicago was a questionable place? They didn't play at the United Center or even near Chicago proper (shout out to hutch on that one!!)

I am not sure what they were trying with IHL 2.0 but I think that the IHL 1.0 up to the year 2000 was awesome but they tried to expand too fast into a nationwide league into expensive markets or markets where the interest in hockey was not en0ough to support a team (SF, Phoenix, etc.) and certain aspects of travel costs would be high (hotel in SF area for example).

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Only play 2 months longer and 146 more games.....
Unfortunately, the Packers 15-1 record didn't count for squat!

Old
02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Why do you figure Chicago was a questionable place? They didn't play at the United Center or even near Chicago proper (shout out to hutch on that one!!)

I am not sure what they were trying with IHL 2.0 but I think that the IHL 1.0 up to the year 2000 was awesome but they tried to expand too fast into a nationwide league into expensive markets or markets where the interest in hockey was not en0ough to support a team (SF, Phoenix, etc.) and certain aspects of travel costs would be high (hotel in SF area for example).
The rate of expansion was not the problem. Some of the places expanded to, like SF, were a mistake. That team lasted one season. I heard that the owner spent $20K on his office furniture. He would have been better off to spend that money on a better player or as a travel expense. The league just wanted his expansion fee.

Phoenix played 8 of their 13 IHL seasons in that city. Compared to the other two other cities (Indy and Denver) for a total of 5 years, that was a success.

I think that Las Vegas was a mistake. They lasted 6 seasons based on gambling visitors and booster clubs. The Admirals lost most of their games there because their players would stay up and gamble instead of resting at the Imperial Palace.

I would agree that skipping the West Coast would have been better for the IHL. However, Houston and Utah (now LEM) made it to the end of the IHL. Without the West Coast teams, I don't think those two teams would have played in the AHL.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

If you ever saw the UHL you would know. Going into Chicago with the A and N in tact made little sense an d the team folded after a year. This Express thing isn't fairing too much better

Old
02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
If you ever saw the UHL you would know. Going into Chicago with the A and N in tact made little sense an d the team folded after a year. This Express thing isn't fairing too much better
Right, not "too much better" -- other than the Hounds (the UHL team) averaging 2,000 per game in their single season, and the Express averaging 2,500 per game now with 13 more home games to go... but you're right, a 25% increase in attendance in a worse economy, that's not too much better. *headdesk*

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:06 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Right, not "too much better" -- other than the Hounds (the UHL team) averaging 2,000 per game in their single season, and the Express averaging 2,500 per game now with 13 more home games to go... but you're right, a 25% increase in attendance in a worse economy, that's not too much better. *headdesk*
Thats barely above the mendzoa line. I expected more given the coach and league

Old
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Considering the fiascoes at the arena, like the ice not being ready for the home opener, doomed the hounds from the beginning. They barely advertised as well.

Quote:
You go Hans!!!

Quote:
Thats barely above the mendzoa line. I expected more given the coach and league
Martinson's teams play goon hockey and while that may work in the hillbilly towns he coached, it doesn't work in the Chicago area. Also, they are trying much more this year but again, arena management totally sucks such as concessions stand not open, not accepting credit cards, etc. The experience is not so hot most of the time. And how are you figuring the "mendoza" line? is 2500 the average for the ECHL?

Old
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Considering the fiascoes at the arena, like the ice not being ready for the home opener, doomed the hounds from the beginning. They barely advertised as well.

You go Hans!!!

Martinson's teams play goon hockey and while that may work in the hillbilly towns he coached, it doesn't work in the Chicago area. Also, they are trying much more this year but again, arena management totally sucks such as concessions stand not open, not accepting credit cards, etc. The experience is not so hot most of the time. And how are you figuring the "mendoza" line? is 2500 the average for the ECHL?
2,000 in general in the minors just seems to be the rule of thumb.

Old
02-23-2012, 09:07 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Martinson's teams play goon hockey and while that may work in the hillbilly towns he coached, it doesn't work in the Chicago area.
Um, seriously? You do know he won 5 titles in 8 years with that "goon hockey"... in the "hillbilly town" of SAN DIEGO, right?

Old
02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Announced attendance versus reality is never the same... even if it the announced attendance average was 2000 I think that could be generous.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Um, seriously? You do know he won 5 titles in 8 years with that "goon hockey"... in the "hillbilly town" of SAN DIEGO, right?

San Diego is a hillbilly town. Just like rockford and elmira.

And with those 5 titles in 8 years, why is he still at that level? Even John Anderson went to the IHL after he won a title in the lower league......And his hockey was boring......

Old
02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
San Diego is a hillbilly town. Just like rockford and elmira.
*shakes head* I'll just let this statement stand on its own.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
*shakes head* I'll just let this statement stand on its own.
You ever been to san diego?

And what about him never coaching higher than UHL level hockey? Goon hockey in goon leagues in hillbilly towns.

Last edited by Tommy Hawk: 02-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
You ever been to san diego?

And what about him never coaching higher than UHL level hockey? Goon hockey in goon leagues in hillbilly towns.
LOL. Under his name it says he lives in San Diego. Sorry, I just found that question hilarious.

Rockford may be a hillbilly town, i've never been.

But Elmira is GHETTO, not hillbilly. As it has 2 state prisons.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
adsfan

Quote:
LOL. Under his name it says he lives in San Diego. Sorry, I just found that question hilarious.

San Diego seemed nice in the 10 days I spent there. I did go the the last SD Gulls game in the IHL in 1995. The Admirals happened to be playing there in the playoffs while I was on vacation. The sparse crowd of 2000 and the arena staff were nice.

While I live 90 minutes from Rockford, I have never been there. When their fans come to Milwaukee they seem pretty nice.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:02 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
San Diego seemed nice in the 10 days I spent there. I did go the the last SD Gulls game in the IHL in 1995. The Admirals happened to be playing there in the playoffs while I was on vacation. The sparse crowd of 2000 and the arena staff were nice.

While I live 90 minutes from Rockford, I have never been there. When their fans come to Milwaukee they seem pretty nice.
So I take it your boys won?

SD is a bit pricey to live in.

I've heard back in the UHL Days the Rockford fans weren't what one would call typical but the AHL may have brought a different crowd to the table.

I think axe said his experience in Rockford was terrible, lol

Old
02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
adsfan

Quote:
So I take it your boys won?

SD is a bit pricey to live in.

I've heard back in the UHL Days the Rockford fans weren't what one would call typical but the AHL may have brought a different crowd to the table.

I think axe said his experience in Rockford was terrible, lol
Yes, the Admirals won 3-2 to tie the series at two games apiece. I checked the playoff records, which are wrong. Games 3 and 4 are reversed. Game 3 had 2 OTs. That was the night before the game I went to. I listened in on the radio periodically. It went on and on.

In the UHL days, Rockford was affiliated with Milwaukee. So some of their fans became Admirals fans to keep watching their old players. They were enthusiastic and boosted attendance.

SD is like any other big city in the US for prices.

Last edited by adsfan: 02-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old
02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:

Sorry,I forgot the , my bad. Hillbilly is an attitude and San Diego is hillbilly. Been there many, many, many times.

Call it ghetto, hillbilly, etc., it still does not change martinson's goon hockey in low minors without getting an IHL 1.0 or AHL job.

I think Ft. Wayne would be a nice addition to the AHL but I am not sure those owners will fit in with Dave Andrews. It may take some of the heat off the Wolves though!

Old
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Sorry,I forgot the , my bad. Hillbilly is an attitude and San Diego is hillbilly. Been there many, many, many times.

Call it ghetto, hillbilly, etc., it still does not change martinson's goon hockey in low minors without getting an IHL 1.0 or AHL job.

I think Ft. Wayne would be a nice addition to the AHL but I am not sure those owners will fit in with Dave Andrews. It may take some of the heat off the Wolves though!
Whats wrong with the Franke's? All they care about is making money.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Whats wrong with the Franke's? All they care about is making money.
They like to do things their way, not exactly what Andrews likes - rebels.....

Old
02-28-2012, 06:59 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Not sure if the AHL has any franchises they can meddle with to help that team get through a season.