HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Glad this Carter thing is finally over. I think Columbus made the smarter decision to take a quality package over a quantity package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Does anyone believe we have any kind if realistic shot at landing Rick Nash?? Will Poile go all out?? Will Nash waive to come here??
No. Maybe. No.

Old
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

For the Jackets to get a 1st this season, the Kings must make the playoffs ... so a 15-30 pick. This trade really doesn't address their issues and weakens their forward corps.

Old
02-23-2012, 09:48 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Glad this Carter thing is finally over. I think Columbus made the smarter decision to take a quality package over a quantity package.

No. Maybe. No.
They didn't really get what they needed from this trade at all. It seems to me that they settled for much less than they could have gotten for Carter. I also feel it's like the Preds after the fire sale...you can't expect big players to just join your club..you gotta start rebuilding at this point.

Old
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
this is one of those head scratchers, where you really would like to know what was in the heads of both Howson and Poile?

does Howson think Johnson is a much better player than any of the pieces we could have offered?

did Poile not want to be saddled with Carters contract?

did Howson just not want to deal with us??

just seems like a pretty underwhelming return for a proven 30 goal scorer

Old
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is one of those head scratchers, where you really would like to know what was in the heads of both Howson and Poile?

does Howson think Johnson is a much better player than any of the pieces we could have offered?

my thoughts exactly.. its okay we'll give a first for hemsky ..

Old
02-23-2012, 09:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

another case of poile coveting his assets too much? who knows? maybe howson didn't like our offer

Old
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Why take on that if you want Suter at 7+ Weber at 7.5+ Rinne at 7 and Rads at 5+?

Too much length and uncertainty with Carter=too much risk= DP running away.

A conspiracy theorist would say Bernier wasn't in the Carter deal because Lindback will be in the Nash deal.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

If CBJ took Johnson ... we'd have to have given up Ellis at least.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Brewhousesouth15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
another case of poile coveting his assets too much? who knows? maybe howson didn't like our offer
Or maybe hes already got another deal hes waiting to finalize on. (fingers crossed)

Old
02-23-2012, 10:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhousesouth15 View Post
Or maybe hes already got another deal hes waiting to finalize on. (fingers crossed)
possibly..

and I agree 101 ellis / josi for certain

Old
02-23-2012, 10:19 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

even if it would have taken Ellis we would have had a 30 goal scorer locked up, forever, at what in a year or two will be a bargain cap hit...

like i said, I just wish we knew what the GM's actually thought...

but on reflection, Howson may have not wanted a prospect, even one that looks like he can't miss... think about it, he's under serious pressure and if he trades carter and ellis has a sophomore slump, he'd be hard pressed to defend the move, whereas JJ is a more proven commodity.

if Howson was only going to settle for a player who could be considered a top pair dman, right now, then we truly couldn't match that

Old
02-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

If Columbus was trying to get the best available defenseman, we couldn't have topped with without giving up Weber or Suter. At this moment, Johnson is better than any of Josi, Ellis, or Blum. Our first is lower than theirs. Cbus wanted quality, and we couldn't give them a better Dman or a higher pick. I think a Ellis+Lindy+1st deal or something is better for them, but Howson obviously wanted the best D available.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Rumor has it they weren't interested in Bernier, so it sounds like they have a different plan for goal. Don't think Lindback fits that plan either. They probably want someone more proven. Just a guess

Old
02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Rumor has it they weren't interested in Bernier, so it sounds like they have a different plan for goal. Don't think Lindback fits that plan either. They probably want someone more proven. Just a guess
I don't think it's just that. Goalies are a volatile commodity, in terms of worth and performance. We saw Colorado give up a 1st and a 2nd for Varlamov, who has been very disappointing to this point. Bryzgalov was signed to a monster contract, and has been extremely inconsistent for the Flyers. By the same token, a journeyman like Sanford has been serviceable for the Blue Jackets at times, the oft-traded Brian Elliott has been outstanding in St. Louis and reclamation project Jose Theodore has been good enough in Florida to have the Cats fighting for the division.

I think trading for goalies is way too much of a crap shoot, outside of the handful of elite netminders that wouldn't be available anyway. Couple that with just enough serviceable guys being available during free agency, and I figure that Howson decided to go with a return in which he knew exactly what he was getting, and what kind of performance he could expect from it. Could you imagine if he traded Carter for Bernier and a 1st, and then had Bernier pull a Mason next season? Oye...

Old
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I don't think it's just that. Goalies are a volatile commodity, in terms of worth and performance. We saw Colorado give up a 1st and a 2nd for Varlamov, who has been very disappointing to this point. Bryzgalov was signed to a monster contract, and has been extremely inconsistent for the Flyers. By the same token, a journeyman like Sanford has been serviceable for the Blue Jackets at times, the oft-traded Brian Elliott has been outstanding in St. Louis and reclamation project Jose Theodore has been good enough in Florida to have the Cats fighting for the division.

I think trading for goalies is way too much of a crap shoot, outside of the handful of elite netminders that wouldn't be available anyway. Couple that with just enough serviceable guys being available during free agency, and I figure that Howson decided to go with a return in which he knew exactly what he was getting, and what kind of performance he could expect from it. Could you imagine if he traded Carter for Bernier and a 1st, and then had Bernier pull a Mason next season? Oye...
The more I think about the more I believe that in his precarious position Howson is looking for players who are sure things and least likely to blow up in his face plus ready to make cbj a better team next season not two or three years from now.

It looks like Howson is gonna get to stay and you have to think he needs to put together a team that will at least be somewhat competitve right out of the gate next season

Old
02-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

“I am excited by this, to go to a team that wants me and to play in a great sports city,” Johnson said. “I’m a mid-western boy at heart.”

Really glad to hear this. A good attitude can go a long way.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:26 AM
maplepred

Can we put together a better offer (based on what they want) for Nash then the rangers can???

I keep hearing dubinsky's name coming up and it does seem the jackets want experience. Could we offer a player equal to Dubinsky plus better fill the jackets need? Ie. Lindback and Blum/Ellis/josi. Not to mention our first round pick will be a lot higher than rangers

Old
02-24-2012, 02:52 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Can we put together a better offer (based on what they want) for Nash then the rangers can???

I keep hearing dubinsky's name coming up and it does seem the jackets want experience. Could we offer a player equal to Dubinsky plus better fill the jackets need? Ie. Lindback and Blum/Ellis/josi. Not to mention our first round pick will be a lot higher than rangers
Not if we win the cup

Old
02-24-2012, 05:50 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

So a rumor on the trade board, via twitter, has us offering Colin Wilson, Jon Blum, & a 1st for Dustin Brown. Now please tell me I'm not crazy and that is a big overpayment by us to downgrade. I think Brown would be fantastic, but not at the cost of Wilson. This seems like a lateral move, at best, more likely a downgrade plus overpayment. OTF has a poll and it seems like everyone wants Dustin Brown. Apparently he could be available via Bob McKenzie. What would it realistically take?

Old
02-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
So a rumor on the trade board, via twitter, has us offering Colin Wilson, Jon Blum, & a 1st for Dustin Brown. Now please tell me I'm not crazy and that is a big overpayment by us to downgrade. I think Brown would be fantastic, but not at the cost of Wilson. This seems like a lateral move, at best, more likely a downgrade plus overpayment. OTF has a poll and it seems like everyone wants Dustin Brown. Apparently he could be available via Bob McKenzie. What would it realistically take?
I would offer Hals/hornqvist + Blum for Brown. NOT Wilson or Smith

Old
02-24-2012, 06:32 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What's the source of this rumor?

Old
02-24-2012, 06:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
What's the source of this rumor?
Never mind, I saw the thread. It says it's not a rumor, it's a proposal via someone on twitter.

Old
02-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Ah well that ends that. Still, Brown seems like a trotz and poile guy. He brings grit and goal scoring come playoff time. Maybe he has just now come available and Poile can jump on it.

Still think we end up with AK though. I do not think we stand pat.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:08 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
If Columbus was trying to get the best available defenseman, we couldn't have topped with without giving up Weber or Suter. At this moment, Johnson is better than any of Josi, Ellis, or Blum. Our first is lower than theirs. Cbus wanted quality, and we couldn't give them a better Dman or a higher pick. I think a Ellis+Lindy+1st deal or something is better for them, but Howson obviously wanted the best D available.
Bingo. If they wanted a 1 for 1 swap for a quality D-man, we can't match that.

Other thoughts on that trade-

-He's been on the block for at least a couple weeks now. I'm sure all 29 GM's at least called just to see what the price is. In the end, I'm guessing there were 3 or 4 teams trying to make it work (IMO, I'm thinking Poile was one of them). In the end, not one team outbid the Kings. I'm also thinking the 1st sent them over the top as the winner.

-There's also that same division factor. It was reported (Dreger?) that they would not deal in the division. We lose out right there.

In other news, it looks like nobody would pay the rumored crazy price tag on Hemsky and he's close to re-signing to an overpaid contract. Good.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:11 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I might do that.

Blum's expendable, and so is that 1st.

Wilson would be a steep price, but Brown is better than Wilson, more proven, and he's locked up to a rediculously cheap contract for several years - 3.1 mil until the summer of '14.

Would anyone be shocked to see Wilson make more than that next year as an RFA? He could bank 3 probably.

Closed Thread