HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

can toskala be THE guy

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 09:23 AM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
can toskala be THE guy

i'm an outsider as a bruins fan, but have always liked this kid. not the biggest guy in the world, but man is he good. i think he can be a #1 in this league, but are the sharks going to let him? trading nabokov for a guy like tanguay would seem to be great idea, being that the top 4 Dmen seem to be pretty strong. am i way off here?

Old
11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
MarleuFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i'm an outsider as a bruins fan, but have always liked this kid. not the biggest guy in the world, but man is he good. i think he can be a #1 in this league, but are the sharks going to let him? trading nabokov for a guy like tanguay would seem to be great idea, being that the top 4 Dmen seem to be pretty strong. am i way off here?

What if Toskala does a Kipprosoff and implodes when given the starter job? Then the Sharks are pretty screwed. It is too early to think about trading Nabokov - I think anyway.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:29 PM
ModestoFan

Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
Toskala can definately be a #1 in the NHL, but he needs a bit more seasoning before that happens. With Nabby contract for another 2 years, we'll definately see this play out.

I could see Nabby getting moved, but not at this time, unless it was to capitalize on a great deal. Solid goaltending is such an asset, and now that Nabby has 3 good games under his belt, we'll see.

also, he should start againsty Washington, so take a peek=)

Old
11-07-2003, 01:54 PM
MarleuFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoFan
Toskala can definately be a #1 in the NHL, but he needs a bit more seasoning before that happens. With Nabby contract for another 2 years, we'll definately see this play out.

I could see Nabby getting moved, but not at this time, unless it was to capitalize on a great deal. Solid goaltending is such an asset, and now that Nabby has 3 good games under his belt, we'll see.

also, he should start againsty Washington, so take a peek=)

I have come to a conclusion that Nabby and the D should really be left as it is and given time to consistently play together. That alone will make them all better as the season continues.

And I do have a question about Toskala. If he is only 5-9, won't other teams learn that and just try to aim top-shelf? I know Osgood was 5-9. What made him so successful?

Old
11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleuFan
I have come to a conclusion that Nabby and the D should really be left as it is and given time to consistently play together. That alone will make them all better as the season continues.

And I do have a question about Toskala. If he is only 5-9, won't other teams learn that and just try to aim top-shelf? I know Osgood was 5-9. What made him so successful?
Well, it's my understanding that going top-shelf is a way to increase your chance of scoring on Butterfly goalies in general, regardless of size--While the goalie's going down you're shooting up*. IN GENERAL, larger goalies are slower and can't switch directions or go down as fast but naturally cover more of net due to there size. So I guess it just depends on your team and your defensive scheme which size goalie would be better. But with how we've been playing lately, I think were better off with a quik goalie rather than a large goalie--Please keep in mind that these are generalizations.

*This is where IMO nabby used to excel. He HAD tremendous patience and wouldn't go to the butterfly until necessary, He'd stay on his skates and compensate with lateral movement ability. Now he tends to go to the butterfly quicker and not only has it opened up his 5 hole, but it has limited his lateral movement as well. Nabby is trying to due too much out there, and I think he needs some time with strelow--unfortunatly that cant happen until strelow recovers, but with how vesa's been playing, giving nabby that time shouldn't hurt the team when strelow's ready. Vesa is a solid and capable goalie, but when nabby is on his game, he is spectacular (but in a way that he makes it look routine).

Old
11-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Kevin Wey

Toskala definitely isn't in the stand-up butterfly mold as most of the Sharks other goalies. He isn't a flopper, but he just gets real low. If the Sharks can't clear the crease, if you can roof it in close on Toskala, I'd say you have a good chance.

I'd really like to see Kiprusoff start against Washington. I don't know if he'd do too well, because he can't be too sharp right now, but I'd really like to see Miikka get some action.

I'm not sold that Toskala can be a top number one goalie in the NHL, but he's equaling Nabby so far.

Everybody knows what I was favoring before the season: Going with Toskala and Kiprusoff and trading Nabokov for some help elsewhere.

Hopefully Miikka is given some opportunities soon to show what he can do. I think Washington would be as good of a team as any to test him. (Eastern Conference foe, not as much to lose, and Washington ain't doing so well.)

Old
11-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Masters

vCash:
I think Toskala should get more time to develop his potential. If he becomes starter right now, it may become too overwelming, like it was for Kiprusoff last season.

Closed Thread