HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pete DeBoer "This guy gets it and has great ties"

Old
02-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
35-20-4

4th in the Conference and trending upward.

I want more worts.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Tied for 4th in the league last season with a far worse defense and a team that missed the playoffs.

This devils team is essentially giving up an extra 20 goals to score an extra 20 goals...the result is the blown 3rd period leads, added pressure to a weak defense because the forwards are always catching up on the play. We'll see how it plays out bit I don't like the direction.
Lemaire can take an AHL team and coach them to a top ten defensive standing, that doesn't mean it's a top ten unit. And as much as I love JL, it's not like his one-way system was winning in the playoffs the last fifteen years either.

You have to play to your strength talent-wise. This team's strength is offense. They need to be able to extend leads (which they haven't done enough of, in part because of the sketchy PP), because holding them will be a problem with this defense no matter what system you have.

Quote:
Andy Greene-Mark Fayne
Bryce Salvador-Anton Volchenkov
Matt Taormina-Kurtis Foster
Well we had practically the same defense last year. Salvador = Whitey, Volchenkov-Greene-Fayne-Tallinder were all around, but Greene and Tallinder have missed significant time this year where they really didn't last year. Larson does >> Salmela but Foster is a > to nobody.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
35-20-4

4th in the Conference and trending upward.

I want more worts.
meh, we've been in this position before (or higher) over the course of the last 9 calender years, less a lockout caused by the cancerous NYR & PHI organizations and their high payrolls and of course, last season's NJD disaster.

What's different this year, with essentially the same team, a revolving door of head coaches, only one tough forward who is a real threat, a small handful of promising, but not game breaking rookies, a no-name defense succeptable to folding like a cheap camera and a soon to be 40 year old/aging goaltender who people are hoping can finish the stretch run in one piece?

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
meh, we've been in this position before (or higher) over the course of the last 9 calender years, less a lockout caused by the cancerous NYR & PHI organizations and their high payrolls and of course, last season's NJD disaster.

What's different this year, with essentially the same team, a revolving door of head coaches, only one tough forward who is a real threat, a small handful of promising but not game breaking rookies, a no-name defense succeptable to folding like a cheap camera and soon to be 40 year old/aging goaltender who people are hoping can finish the stretch run in one piece?
To suggest this team is imperfect is valid.

To suggest that winning hides worts misses the forest for the trees. For winning is everything. The football Giants were 9-7 imperfect this regular season. Big ****ing deal.

And imperfect compared to whom? Bruins? Rangers? Pens (terribly underrated by some around here)? I get it. Anyone else? Hardly. So yes, there is reason to celebrate a coach who's team is having a solid successful 2/3s of his first season. Unless one prefers not to.

If one wants to suggest NJD is not made for the playoffs, go for it. Only time will tell. My position on that is clear. Perhaps, as you suggest, past is prologue and because NJD has failed the last nine or so postseasons, they are destined automatically to fail again. Not my perspective.

As for the difference between this squad and past, if you really don't see the many differences Muttley, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

They are plentiful and quite clear to me. But we all watch a different game.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:37 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:

To suggest that winning hides worts misses the forest for the trees. For winning is everything. The football Giants were 9-7 imperfect this regular season. Big ****ing deal.

And imperfect compared to whom? Bruins? Rangers? Pens? I get it. Anyone else? Hardly. So yes, there is reason to celebrate a coach who's team is having a solid successful 2/3s of his first season. Unless one prefers not to.

If one wants to suggest NJD is not made for the playoffs, go for it. Only time will tell. My position on that is clear.

As for the difference between this squad and past, if you really don't see the many differences Muttley, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

You realize you're responding to a rangers fan, right?

Only an incompetent fool would suggest this team is similar to past teams. Such as the one that was bounced in 5 vs Philly.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:

And imperfect compared to whom? Bruins? Rangers? Pens? I get it. Anyone else? Hardly. So yes, there is reason to celebrate a coach who's team is having a solid successful 2/3s of his first season. Unless one prefers not to.

If one wants to suggest NJD is not made for the playoffs, go for it. Only time will tell. My position on that is clear.

Mine too Trots.

I appreciate your optimism, but we differ here. I like the way you have defended the NJD against the NYR Huns and their fellow ilk, but I feel you're too optimistic, year in-year out. We seem to go through this every late winter/early spring.

I really hope I'm wrong. I want to see deep playoff run, as opposed to saying, "see, I told you so".

You know what I'm talking about.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:48 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

There is no such thing as a perfect team.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:49 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
You realize you're responding to a rangers fan, right?

Only an incompetent fool would suggest this team is similar to past teams. Such as the one that was bounced in 5 vs Philly.
Well the roster certainly isn't the same...amazingly, they have only eight players left from the Philly fiasco less than two years later and one of them (Zajac) has been patently useless so far. That said, we were saying the same about the Sutter team - that it was different, and indeed it was until March. This team still has some proving to do in April.

That said, it's kinda foolish at this point to criticize a coach whose team is 15 games above .500, has his players respecting him and has the team improving in all aspects as the season's gone along. You don't have to be a finished product from Day One in the NHL.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Mine too Trots.

I appreciate your optimism, but we differ here.

I really hope I'm wrong. I want to see deep playoff run, as opposed to saying, "see, I told you so".

You know what I'm talking about.
No worries.

Just opinions. Or hunches, really. And mine carry little, if any, currency.

Just enjoying each day, each game. Still quite a ways until the real games begin anyway.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

What's different this year, with essentially the same team, a revolving door of head coaches, only one tough forward who is a real threat, a small handful of promising, but not game breaking rookies, a no-name defense succeptable to folding like a cheap camera and a soon to be 40 year old/aging goaltender who people are hoping can finish the stretch run in one piece?
The Devils' forward corps is very good. Not sure there's a better trio right now than Kovalchuk, Parise, and Elias. Throw in complimentary players like Clarkson, Henrique (I'm not what more you want from a rookie), Zubrus, Sykora, and Ponikarovsky, and you have a top five forward unit.

The reason we don't score more goals is the lack of offense from the blueline.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
No worries.

Just opinions. Or hunches, really. And mine carry little, if any, currency.

Just enjoying each day, each game. Still quite a ways until the real games begin anyway.
My hunch is that the "other team" will go far.

But the silver lining is that their window for winning will be cut short and after the looming work stoppage, we will pillage one or two of their players that I like or covet. (which makes me a "NYR fan" )

You know, the polar opposite of the Holik & Gomez disasters.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The Devils' forward corps is very good. Not sure there's a better trio right now than Kovalchuk, Parise, and Elias. Throw in complimentary players like Clarkson, Henrique (I'm not what more you want from a rookie), Zubrus, Sykora, and Ponikarovsky, and you have a top five forward unit.

The reason we don't score more goals is the lack of offense from the blueline.
Every name you have mentioned is a forward. No defenseman? Goalies?

Therein lies the concern.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
My hunch is that the "other team" will go far.

But the silver lining is that their window for winning will be cut short and after the looming work stoppage, we will pillage one or two of their players that I like or covet. (which makes me a "NYR fan" )

You know, the polar opposite of the Holik & Gomez disasters.
In August, I had them coming out of the East if #87 wasn't playing come April. Still see it that way. Pens, if healthy, then NYR (though I'd love a crack at them in Round One). Boston is not repeating. And finally NJD is the wildcard/darkhorse in the conference. Every other team is window dressing, IMO.

I'm going to be traveling out on a day trip to Palm Springs tomorrow on business. Mere miles away from NYR's GM's digs in La Quinta. Maybe I'll run into him and see what he has cooking for Trade Day.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Missionhockey

I know that people shouldn't be criticized for their opinions, but I think that the criticisms against DeBoer have really been splitting hairs. Did anybody expect NJ to be sitting 4th in the conference at this point in the season? I sure didn't. Its become blatantly clear that the team has gotten stronger as the season goes on. Would that have to do with the team learning the system better? Perhaps, the players just know whats expected from them. Even the power play which has been pretty damn atrocious has worked its way to competency.

Seeing the way this team is performing makes me pretty excited for next year too, when our rookies are a year wiser, know the system better, and are better prepared for the rigors of the NHL season after an offseason of training. I think you will probably see one of the better defense squads in the league. At the same time, there is still this season and I do think that the bar has certainly been raised for the Devils. Simply making the playoffs won't do it, and lets be honest, that was the goal at the beginning of the season.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
In August, I had them coming out of the East if #87 was playing come April. Still see it that way. Pens, if healthy, then NYR. Boston is not repeating. And finally NJD is the wildcard/darkhorse in the conference. Every other team is window dressing, IMO.

I'm going to be traveling out on a day trip to Palm Springs tomorrow on business. Mere miles away from NYR's GM's digs in La Quinta. Maybe I'll run into him and see what he has cooking for Trade Day.
Good lord I hope so. I miss watching NJD games as the weather gets warmer & the days get longer. That used to be a rite of spring around these here parts.

I remember I was in Palm Springs during the 1981 Thanksgiving Holiday. My father (the NYR fan, god bless him) was doing engineering consulting work on the aerial sky tram and I went with him. I was watching Miracle On 34th Street and later that night, we found out Natalie Wood drowned. I still remember it vividly. We also stayed in a bed & breakfast in Julian, owned at the time by a distant relative.

The piece de resistance was the San Diego Wild Animal Park. I love animals. Especially dogs.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
In August, I had them coming out of the East if #87 wasn't playing come April. Still see it that way. Pens, if healthy, then NYR (though I'd love a crack at them in Round One). Boston is not repeating. And finally NJD is the wildcard/darkhorse in the conference. Every other team is window dressing, IMO.

Philly? They might be dirty punks, but they are built for the playoffs IMO.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
Philly? They might be dirty punks, but they are built for the playoffs IMO.
Sieves between the pipes and too many playoff noobs in key positions for my taste (the latter might ultimately do in NJD, as well).

BTW, your last post was spot on, IMO.

Quote:
Good lord I hope so. I miss watching NJD games as the weather gets warmer & the days get longer. That used to be a rite of spring around these here parts.
Is there any greater feeling as a sports fan than to be having your hockey team in the midst of a long playoff run as the weather turns warm outside?

Quote:
I love animals. Especially dogs.
Me and my three greyhounds approve.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old
02-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 341
Last year's team had me excited out of the gate but worried about the coach. This year's team had me worried abut the team more than the coach, but with each passing game after 10 or 15 or so, I became more convinced the chemistry was right, and the coach was solid, but I still expected only a moderate shot at the playoffs and a big learning curve with so many rookies in key positions getting so much ice time that the next legit cup run would likely not see Marty or Elias on the roster... But lo and behold, last 15-20 games have convinced me there's more than just a little magic present and a deep playoff run may not be so far fetched.

With that glimmer of hope, and the added voice of support for their coach and each other, this team has me believing despite the pre-season pessimism. I want Lou and Pete to show us it's real, and push the chips all in rather than fold the pocket jacks. Sure it's still a long shot given the opposition, but it's also completely possible nobody's sitting on a higher pocket pair, and despite the bigger chip stack in the standings, we can make the hands needed with a little luck and send some of our most beloved players into the sunset remembering how they hoisted the cup much more recently than I would have thought possible a little more than a year removed from our darkest point in a long time.

I welcome the fact that I can even muster excitement at this point to see how this plays out.

Go for it guys. My body is ready.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Mere miles away from NYR's GM's digs in La Quinta. Maybe I'll run into him and see what he has cooking for Trade Day.
Oh wait a minute. That most abhorrent, Dolan sycophant is bicoastal?

I was always under the impression that he was golfing all season long in Bermuda, whilst the NYR were like in year 3 out missing the playoffs for 7 straight seasons in a row.

What a jerk.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

The team I see this season is vastly different than the team I'v seen in seasons past. That's all the reason enough for me to be optimistic. Old formula wasn't working.

I don't want to hear "Goalie and no-name D is the same." It's just...different. Just....something about this team has changed, and I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Sure it's still a long shot given the opposition, but it's also completely possible nobody's sitting on a higher pocket pair, and despite the bigger chip stack in the standings, we can make the hands needed with a little luck and send some of our most beloved players into the sunset remembering how they hoisted the cup much more recently than I would have thought possible a little more than a year removed from our darkest point in a long time.
I'm only 26 years old, but I remember '95 vividly. This team was SMOKED on paper to the Wings. Chemistry and hard work pays off.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:18 AM
CerebralGenesis

My goodness, I barely recall what playoff hockey is for the Devils. Seems like a short trip every year.

IF they acquire a premier defensemen I'll have my hopes for them being a darkhorse out east, with the proper matchups as well. That means Pittsburgh in round one for the very same reasons Trots mentioned. Catch them early and end their dreams before they get rolling at all.

Of course, with this defense we get blown away when Crosby steps off and Malkin's line steps on. Then Staal's line steps on and feasts, and I mean absolutely feasts, on Foster or Tao or whoever is on our 3rd pairing. We give up odd man rushes like tickets to the fall festival because the D cannot sustain pressure in the offensive zone without coughing the puck up and don't have the foot speed to recover.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
The team I see this season is vastly different than the team I'v seen in seasons past. That's all the reason enough for me to be optimistic. Old formula wasn't working.

I don't want to hear "Goalie and no-name D is the same." It's just...different. Just....something about this team has changed, and I like it.
The only difference I see is that our PK is our best strength, Elias is headed for a career year, Kovalchuk might set the franchise single season points record and we can come back from being down 2 or 3 goals.

Other than that, we have many other, deeper flaws.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Other than that, we have many other, deeper flaws.
And everyone said the Bruins would do Jack with a bum power-play. Match-ups and hard-work are everything.

Players can come out of nowhere and write a story. Thomas did it last season. Our guys can do it. I'm confident that they can, and awaiting to see if they will.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Oh wait a minute. That most abhorrent, Dolan sycophant is bicoastal?...

What a jerk.
Believe he has a place up in Branff, Alberta and I know he has one out in the desert here.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Believe he has a place up in Branff, Alberta and I know he has one out in the desert here.
Geez, doesn't that guy have a team to run? He's been on the post there for like 12+years? What a schmuck.

I know, I know, he "found" Lundqvist. (which clearly explains why immediately thereafter, he stockpiled goalies, selecting #10 Dan Blackburn & #6 Al Montoya)

I think Lou only lives in a hotel here during the season and goes back home to Rhode Island for the summer.

Meanwhile the Caucasian Isiah Thomas jet-sets around the world.