HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter to LA for Jack Johnson + LA 1st.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
I know Howson said this is just the start, but this makes our forward starting line up a question mark now. If they move anyone else the top 6 would have a lot of inexperience and the bottom 6 would have either no experience or expecting to pick someone up at some point for next year

Umberger - Brassard - Nash
Prospal - Johansen - 1st round pick
Gilles - Letestu ?? - Dorsett
Calvert - Mackenzie (if resigned) - Atkinson

+ Boll (if resigned), if not Kubalik and Ryan Russell

Wiz - JJ
Tyutin - Nik
Savard - Moore

+Methot and Clitsome

If they trade Brassard, they basically just got rid of all our centers in a week because Pahlsson is UFA at the end of the season

I highly, highly doubt Brassard is going anywhere at this point. I think his play post-Arniel made it unlikely, and now the trade of Carter made it even more unlikely. But, I'm wondering if Nash will be traded to the Rangers and we'd get something like Dubs and/or Anisimov + back, which would add two more centers.

I think it's way too early to put lines up there, but I think Tyutin is probably gone, and without Tyutin, I'm hesitant to keep Nikitin, as it seemed with the Blues that a language boundary was hindering him. Even if we did keep Tyutin, I'd wonder about Nikitin, seeing as how it limits our ability to put pairs together, because he could be less effective without Tyutin.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:37 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

still o-fer on well wishes to Carts from CBJ players....

Now that he's gone, I want to here the real story over why he had to go....wonder if Porty will go there a la the Foote expose...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Stretch Factor

When I run through defensive pairings in my head, I have a hard time finding a place for Tyutin and Nikitin.

Johnson and Wiz are both puck movers and both risk takers. In my mind they should be on separate lines, paired with a shutdown type.

Tyutin is not exactly a shutdown D-man so it's tough to pair him with Wiz or Johnson. Nikitin does better paired with Tyutin. So does that mean they are the bottom pair. Are we seriously going to spend the money for Tyutin to play on our bottom pair?

Building the defense is where Howson made the biggest mistakes the first time. Now that we are in re-build mode, this is where I'd like to see him fix some major mistakes.

Johnson/New Guy
Wiz/New Guy
Moore/ Methot, Savard (or one of our other prospects)

I'd like to see Howson go all in to find 2 good young shutdown D-men. Luke Schenn is exactly who I'm thinking about because I think he would thrive on and off the ice in Columbus. Plus he has a mean streak which we could use. Tim Erixon is another one who would look good paired next to Wiz or Johnson.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
BluejacketNut

If JJ can turn into the dman and leader we need, and finds a good pairing to create a top shutdown line, I think its stupid to trade Nash as we'll still be needing his type of player if we want to do anything in this league. If we get Nail and can add another top C and goalie, we shouldnt need to do a full nuclear option

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
If JJ can turn into the dman and leader we need, and finds a good pairing to create a top shutdown line, I think its stupid to trade Nash as we'll still be needing his type of player if we want to do anything in this league. If we get Nail and can add another top C and goalie, we shouldnt need to do a full nuclear option
I'm not sure the nuclear option refers to blowing up the roster, I think it refers to blowing up the culture in the dressing room. My guess is they've decided Nash is part of the culture problem. As long as he is here, it's his team. As long as it's his team, there is a culture problem.

$7.8m per year can be better spent than on a winger with leadership issues.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

What? No Jeff Carter Appreciation Thread?????

I'm going to look into that t-shirt idea today, or perhaps we could piggyback it with the lime ones already being sold.

My team traded for

Jeff Carter

and all we got were two lousy hat tricks

Or perhaps

Jeff Carter Appreciation Night - 3/8/2012

aka Hey Jeff, we appreciate that you're gone

Those would be fun to sport for the game on March 8th.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 02-24-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
the best i can think of right now are:

JJ - Methot
Tyutin - Nikitin
Wiz - Moore

find a goalie who loves and excels in shootouts?!
What's unusal about that group is that only one is Canadian, I can't recall a defense with three Americans..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
When I run through defensive pairings in my head, I have a hard time finding a place for Tyutin and Nikitin.

Johnson and Wiz are both puck movers and both risk takers. In my mind they should be on separate lines, paired with a shutdown type.

Tyutin is not exactly a shutdown D-man so it's tough to pair him with Wiz or Johnson. Nikitin does better paired with Tyutin. So does that mean they are the bottom pair. Are we seriously going to spend the money for Tyutin to play on our bottom pair?

Building the defense is where Howson made the biggest mistakes the first time. Now that we are in re-build mode, this is where I'd like to see him fix some major mistakes.

Johnson/New Guy
Wiz/New Guy

I'd like to see Howson go all in to find 2 good young shutdown D-men. Luke Schenn is exactly who I'm thinking about because I think he would thrive on and off the ice in Columbus. Plus he has a mean streak which we could use. Tim Erixon is another one who would look good paired next to Wiz or Johnson.
Howson definitely needs to get a shut-down D-man. I have been preaching since last summer that we need two. I suppose we could get by with one. Trading for JJ should put one, if not two of our current D-men in the mix for a trade for just such a player.

Tyutin, and Nikitin, both or either one, would make the most sense. We gotta get that big time shut-down guy. Not having one or two true shut-down guys has cost us dearly late in games.

And about that number 1 center that we need once again?

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:18 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
That does us no good. From the sounds of it, if LA makes the playoffs, we get the 2012 1st round pick or the option of the 2013 1st round pick(think we have up to 2 slots before LA drafts in the 2012 to decide if we want the 2012 or the 2013).
If LA misses the playoffs, we have no choice and get the 2013 pick.
But what if Columbus doesn't take the pick this year and LA falls on their face next year?

Maybe it becomes a top 10 pick.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
How are we going to add another Top C, or anything substantial, with team payroll still where it is?

I still think this team needs a guy like Umberger. His play and his stats, this year aside, have proven he isn't afraid to lead and contribute.

Brassard should be dealt, in my opinion, for the reasons I listed earlier. If we counting on him to center a line with Nash next season, get ready for several threads about how we need to either: Trade Brass, Get a center for Nash or Trade Nash. If Brass survives a purge here, he shouldn't be handed anything after the roller coaster we've witnessed with him, earn it in camp. I think you need to somehow acquire somebody that will be steady enough to at least "hold the fort" in that top line center spot.

If you want to go after a big time center again this offseason, you have to trade Nash... We got Jeff Carter at a premium, Howson doesn't enough bullets to manufacture another trade for a number one center at a significant discount and lets face it, if he tried it again, he'd be lampooned. Not to mention that a trade for Nash will give you a complete clean slate, at least in the lockerroom, virtually overnight.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post

Now that he's gone, I want to here the real story over why he had to go....wonder if Porty will go there a la the Foote expose...
He may not get one but why the Foote comparsion?

Old
02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Howson definitely needs to get a shut-down D-man. I have been preaching since last summer that we need two. I suppose we could get by with one. Trading for JJ should put one, if not two of our current D-men in the mix for a trade for just such a player.

Tyutin, and Nikitin, both or either one, would make the most sense. We gotta get that big time shut-down guy. Not having one or two true shut-down guys has cost us dearly late in games.
I agree. We need a guy or two on the blueline who can put the fear of God into those who enter our zone. Right now, our defensive zone is a happy place for opponents; for them, it's like a visit to Graffiti Burger, Graeters, and Pure Platinum all wrapped into one. That's gotta change.

Among other concerns I have, the two other big ones are 1) Starting goalie, and 2) Shutdown Center. You know, things other teams pretty much take for granted. I'd mention First Line Center, but those don't grow on trees. I think we're going to have to wait for Johansen to become one.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Quote:

And about that number 1 center that we need once again?
Honestly, I'm not that worried about the #1 center issue any more. I think this past year is pretty good evidence that the focus should be on re-building the goalie and defense situation first. You look at teams like Nashville that have had success with this approach. Teams that are more heavily weighted on the front end (Edmonton, NYI, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, us) have struggled.

I have no issue with going into next year with Brassard, Johansen, Letestu and DMac if our goaltending and defense is revamped.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:26 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
This is my thinking as well... Carter had 10 more years here, was he really going to tell management he'd implode the lockerroom if he wasn't dealt?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:31 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
How are we going to add another Top C, or anything substantial, with team payroll still where it is?
UFA's Juice (4.75), Sammy(2.65), Martinek(2.2), Lebda (.70), Johnson (.55). That is almost 11 million in cap space just counting UFAs at the end of the season. Throw in the buyout of Duvie and the trade of carter and in the off season that leaves us according to Capgeek with 18+ million in cap space. Enough room to make some acquisitions. (Not saying anything about how smart those acquisitions would be, personally I think we need to get some shutdown guys on the back end instead of going after a big name.)

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post

I just had this exact conversation with a buddy.

Quote:

Johnson/New Guy
Wiz/New Guy

I don't mind Moore with JJ next year. That has the feel of a top pairing, if young.

Methot is a guy I've defended for a long time but I'm not liking his play - he certainly isn't earning his considerable keep. You can't play Savard with Wiz...

Old
02-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

JJ and Wiz on the PP? Works for me. Maybe it would be best to have them on separate units (Moore and Wiz; JJ and Savard)?

Old
02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Puck Daddy's take.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-26000

The entire article is a good read.
Yeah it was

I think this deal definitely shows that Columbus is in definite "rebuild" mode. (Though it can be argued that there may not really be a "re-"...) If Nash gets traded, it will be years before this team is good, but I guess that is not a bad thing since anything good before was more of an illusion Perhaps it really is better to just start all over. But obviously, trading the best two scorers on the team is not exactly a recipe for success for next season; still, if this cleans out the atmosphere and provides a good environment for Columbus to grow young talent, then it will work in the long run. I'm just worried (as I'm sure you all are too) about how they handle that talent, since that hasn't been the franchise's strongsuit historically.

Last edited by Feicht: 02-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
EspenK

Quote:

I think they are waiting however many days Carter holed up on the Jersey shore before commenting

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Grigs also has the typical Russian personality. Plays when he wants too.

Yakupov is the better pick.
What is the typical Canadian personality? Or typical American? What nationality is Tyutin cause on many occasions he was the only one who cared and played during the games...

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

I still think this team needs a guy like Umberger. His play and his stats, this year aside, have proven he isn't afraid to lead and contribute.

Brassard should be dealt, in my opinion, for the reasons I listed earlier. If we counting on him to center a line with Nash next season, get ready for several threads about how we need to either: Trade Brass, Get a center for Nash or Trade Nash. If Brass survives a purge here, he shouldn't be handed anything after the roller coaster we've witnessed with him, earn it in camp. I think you need to somehow acquire somebody that will be steady enough to at least "hold the fort" in that top line center spot.

If you want to go after a big time center again this offseason, you have to trade Nash... We got Jeff Carter at a premium, Howson doesn't enough bullets to manufacture another trade for a number one center at a significant discount and lets face it, if he tried it again, he'd be lampooned. Not to mention that a trade for Nash will give you a complete clean slate, at least in the lockerroom, virtually overnight.
We just free'd up close to $5m with Vermette and Carter traded. Youre not going to make a Stanley Cup run without stars, you get rid of Nash and then what? You want to count on Nail? Take a look at the Oilers, theyve got Nugent Hopkins, Hall, and Eberley, all young budding stars, and theyre 29th in the league. Every team that is making the run for the cup has $7m guys to go along with their prospects, you have to have them...no team is making a run with prospects alone. Sure, trade Nash if you want to take the 4+ year route to try and make it back to the playoffs, but we're not going to getting many star FA's to come here as our history has shown, so I see no reason to get rid of one we already have when we could make some smarter decisions with the roster and be able to turn it around in much less time, unless its an earth shattering offer.

The "culture" (already the most overused word in 2012) is losing....you stop losing and the culture will change. Bring in more people with winning attitudes (im liking what i hear about JJ so far) and it will change when the wins come. Getting rid of Nash to continue losing isnt going to change anything.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

With Nikitin coming back, I think it's important to see if he can play with anyone besides Tyutin. This makes the difference in whether to resign him in the summer.

I'd roll out these when all D are healthy:

Johnson (you know which one)/Tyutin
Wiz/Big Vodka
Moore/Methot
Clitsome

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
wasnt a comparison other than the type of 'tell all' story that may come out.

when asked about hearing the 'whole story;, porty's reply was this:

Quote:
You have. Not a bad guy, didn't break laws. Just not a difference maker. His body language offended higher-ups in the organization.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:45 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
JJ and Wiz on the PP? Works for me. Maybe it would be best to have them on separate units (Moore and Wiz; JJ and Savard)?
Do you leave Nikitin out of PP cause he's Russian too? I mean Niki is on the pace for 50 points in 82 games but you keep him off the PP and put there Moore and Savard. Excellent.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
wasnt a comparison other than the type of 'tell all' story that may come out.

when asked about hearing the 'whole story;, porty's reply was this:
There's probably nothing to tell, he didn't want to play in Columbus, he's not the first and may not be the last. I remember when Torres was traded to Buffalo, he didn't want to be sent there either but it happens..