HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 07:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Ah well that ends that. Still, Brown seems like a trotz and poile guy. He brings grit and goal scoring come playoff time. Maybe he has just now come available and Poile can jump on it.

Still think we end up with AK though. I do not think we stand pat.
For me, I'm a huge fan of Brown. A young bruiser currently in his prime, with leadership skills, who puts out 25 G/ 55 Pt seasons. Wilson+Blum+1st? It would hurt, but I'd consider.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:18 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

get dustin brown get dustin brown get dustin brown get dustin brown

Old
02-24-2012, 07:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Absolutely not to wilson for Brown. We don't add much at all with that swap. Plus Wilson is going to be highly motivated in the playoffs after being a scratch last year.

I can't see us being good trade parteners with LA right now

Old
02-24-2012, 07:37 AM
VFL615*

A lot of teams are going to be after Brown if he is on the market. I would do Blum, whatever pick it would take, and a prospect. No way you get rid of Smith, Wilson, or Ellis.
Damn throw Klein in there to. Im tired of seeing his number on the ice after 85% of the goals against us.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:38 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Absolutely not to wilson for Brown. We don't add much at all with that swap. Plus Wilson is going to be highly motivated in the playoffs after being a scratch last year.

I can't see us being good trade parteners with LA right now
I disagree.

(To use an overused way of HF posting, if you don't mind) Today: Brown >>>Wilson. Brown makes our team better this season and into the playoffs. Into the future, he's only signed for $3.1 for another two seasons.

The only issue is, I'm guessing LA is looking to fill the void on D left by JJ's absence. I don't think we can do that.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:07 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
A lot of teams are going to be after Brown if he is on the market. I would do Blum, whatever pick it would take, and a prospect. No way you get rid of Smith, Wilson, or Ellis.
Damn throw Klein in there to. Im tired of seeing his number on the ice after 85% of the goals against us.
So after we finally plug the last remaining hole on the blueline we jettison our #3 defenseman in a package for Dustin Brown, but there is no way they get Smith or Ellis? I don't get that. I know Smith and Ellis have huge potential, but what good does it do us to save potential over proven players with 21 games left and what is likely to be a tough series against the Blues in April? Smith will be tossed around between all four lines, but likely only sees ~10 minutes of ice per night in the play offs. Ellis is likely back in Milwaukee by then. Klein is going to play on the second pairing, much to your chagrin, and will do so solidly even if he is on the ice for a goal against per night. No thanks...

If we are going to be trading for Dustin Brown it needs to be prospects and picks. The only roster player that I would be ok with moving is Smithson, and I really don't see LA wanting Smithson back. They need offense (which they got with Carter, and completely destroys your hope of seeing Klein moved). We do not need to part with offense. LA and Nashville make bad partners unless they are needing to dump his salary without taking any back.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So after we finally plug the last remaining hole on the blueline we jettison our #3 defenseman in a package for Dustin Brown, but there is no way they get Smith or Ellis? I don't get that. I know Smith and Ellis have huge potential, but what good does it do us to save potential over proven players with 21 games left and what is likely to be a tough series against the Blues in April? Smith will be tossed around between all four lines, but likely only sees ~10 minutes of ice per night in the play offs. Ellis is likely back in Milwaukee by then. Klein is going to play on the second pairing, much to your chagrin, and will do so solidly even if he is on the ice for a goal against per night. No thanks...

If we are going to be trading for Dustin Brown it needs to be prospects and picks. The only roster player that I would be ok with moving is Smithson, and I really don't see LA wanting Smithson back. They need offense (which they got with Carter, and completely destroys your hope of seeing Klein moved). We do not need to part with offense. LA and Nashville make bad partners unless they are needing to dump his salary without taking any back.
I disagree here completely. I think if Nashville offers LA Blum + Hillen/Frankie + Hals/Hornqvist they would accept that for Brown. You talk about Predators style of players, Brown is EXACTLY that. He would be a perfect fit here and for his salary, I would be willing to part with a good amount. His addition puts us over the top in my opinion. He can do Hornqvists job but better at even strength.

And if Ellis is in MIL, I will personally call trotz and demand and explanation. There is absolutely no reason to put him in MIL, it sends the wrong message to the team and the player. What more do you want from him? He's almost singlehandedly with Josi fixed that second PP unit. Sending him would be a very grave mistake.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 02-24-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old
02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
I disagree here completely. I think if Nashville offers LA Blum + Hillen/Frankie + Hals/Hornqvist they would accept that for Brown. You talk about Predators style of players, Brown is EXACTLY that. He would be a perfect fit here and for his salary, I would be willing to part with a good amount.

And if Ellis is in MIL, I will personally call trotz and demand and explanation. There is absolutely no reason to put him in MIL, it sends the wrong message to the team and the player.
There is NO way I trade Hornqvist for Brown straight up let alone as a package. Brown would be a nice piece and cheaper than most people think but also very overrated. Hes only scored over 30 goals once in his career.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:24 AM
handtrick

A big reason for our repeated slow starts is that we have no vocal leader.
All of our leadership core leads by example and on the ice.
Granted, the playoffs being the playoffs should theorectically correct that problem by emotion alone, but is this our true missing piece.....a respected veteran that can be vocal before the game actually begins?

Old
02-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
There is NO way I trade Hornqvist for Brown straight up let alone as a package. Brown would be a nice piece and cheaper than most people think but also very overrated. Hes only scored over 30 goals once in his career.
So has Hornqvist....

LA is going to be looking for a puck moving defenseman to replace JJ, how about Blum?

Old
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Brown is too consistent to be overrated. The last 4 seasons:

60pts, 53pts, 56pts, 57pts while scoring 24-33 goals per.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
token grinder

Blum plus Hornquist whould be plenty to acquire Brown.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:23 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I disagree here completely. I think if Nashville offers LA Blum + Hillen/Frankie + Hals/Hornqvist they would accept that for Brown. You talk about Predators style of players, Brown is EXACTLY that. He would be a perfect fit here and for his salary, I would be willing to part with a good amount. His addition puts us over the top in my opinion. He can do Hornqvists job but better at even strength.

And if Ellis is in MIL, I will personally call trotz and demand and explanation. There is absolutely no reason to put him in MIL, it sends the wrong message to the team and the player. What more do you want from him? He's almost singlehandedly with Josi fixed that second PP unit. Sending him would be a very grave mistake.
Fair point. I still do not want to see Poile creating a hole somewhere to get Dustin Brown. I agree with you that he is a good fit for the team and its style (not to mention he would add some grit to a team that is softer than it has been in a couple of seasons). I honestly forgot about Hornqvist. Patric and Smithson are the only two roster players I would be ok with moving. Bouillon may not be a good defenseman, but he is on the third pair. I would rather have his experience for the rest of the season + play offs than have to have Ellis playing protected minutes while he continues to go through growing pains (let's not kid ourselves here, he WILL continue to go through growing pains. Smith seems to be going through them. Blum is still going through them. Wilson went through them, and they will likely reappear from time to time. Even Suter went through them). Hillen would be ok to add, but his value is pretty low and he isn't on the roster.

I think Blum + a first + a forward prospect could get it done. I still don't see it happening unless LA is just desperate to clear a few million in cap space (which would mean trading Hornqvist does no good for them). Carter alone is not going to fix that offense.

Ellis has been sent down, btw. Might want to start blowing up Barry's phone

Old
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Fair point. I still do not want to see Poile creating a hole somewhere to get Dustin Brown. I agree with you that he is a good fit for the team and its style (not to mention he would add some grit to a team that is softer than it has been in a couple of seasons). I honestly forgot about Hornqvist. Patric and Smithson are the only two roster players I would be ok with moving. Bouillon may not be a good defenseman, but he is on the third pair. I would rather have his experience for the rest of the season + play offs than have to have Ellis playing protected minutes while he continues to go through growing pains (let's not kid ourselves here, he WILL continue to go through growing pains. Smith seems to be going through them. Blum is still going through them. Wilson went through them, and they will likely reappear from time to time. Even Suter went through them). Hillen would be ok to add, but his value is pretty low and he isn't on the roster.

I think Blum + a first + a forward prospect could get it done. I still don't see it happening unless LA is just desperate to clear a few million in cap space (which would mean trading Hornqvist does no good for them). Carter alone is not going to fix that offense.

Ellis has been sent down, btw. Might want to start blowing up Barry's phone
There really isn't a hole if you add brown into the lineup. He can probably be had for Hals + Blum + 1st.

I will call trotz later and see what he says.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
There really isn't a hole if you add brown into the lineup. He can probably be had for Hals + Blum + 1st.

I will call trotz later and see what he says.
The Halischuk + Blum + 1st offer is much better than tossing in Hornqvist, Bouillon, Klein, etc. I would hate to lose Halischuk, but in terms of likelihood I could see it working. Again, I really don't see there to be a real need to get rid of Brown unless it's financial, at which point sending money back makes no sense. This proposal sends very little money back, but fills in a spot in their bottom six with a player who has offensive skill and never quits, gives them a PMD prospect who still has good upside (and might be more motivated if he is sent back home to Cali), and a 1st is always enticing.

I'd do it, but I would hate to lose Halischuk.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Brown would be an upgrade over Hals or Hornqvist. He is a far better even strength player than PH, and he has much better hands than either. He doesn't score the dirty goals as well as hornqvist, but the rest of his game is far better. Still, I think if LA does trade Brown, it is for cheaper pieces and picks because they do not have much salary room to maneuvar.

02-24-2012, 09:41 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Dreger, who of course says the Leafs are interested in Brown (he's got bills to pay!) says that the Kings want a young D and secondary scoring. Ummm.....Can't think of a better GM to call than Poile for that list.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Dreger, who of course says the Leafs are interested in Brown (he's got bills to pay!) says that the Kings want a young D and secondary scoring. Ummm.....Can't think of a better GM to call than Poile for that list.
Yeah I think we can offer a better package than anything the Laughs have to offer.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Hals + Blum is a good offer and fits that request perfectly IMO. Other compensation could be added, or Hals could be swapped for Hornqvist. Either way, I make the trade. Honestly, I might want to hang on to Hals more than PH just do to the salary difference and Hals ES ability. If we are all in this playoff year, Hals would be more useful in a 4th line role than Hornqvist.

The Yip claim was an astute one by David Poile. Props.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This year is such a unique situation for star players being available. I would go all in for Rick Nash. If you acquire him, you have a legitimate shot at resigning Ryan Suter and Weber (or at least one of them). If Suter walks, you are still arguably in a fantastic, if not better, position as a franchise. He is the goal-scoring forward we have always always needed. 7.8 million is steep, but we can make it work.

Two firsts, Smith, Blum, Lindback. (?) This may be a little light in remuneration, but I think the point is made. Poile makes that trade and we still have a top 15 prospect pool with a roster that is cup contending and has 4 superstars...

Old
02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Brown is too consistent to be overrated. The last 4 seasons:

60pts, 53pts, 56pts, 57pts while scoring 24-33 goals per.
Don't forget that he's a human wrecking ball.

Sorry, just had to add this one cuz the song is awesome.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This year is such a unique situation for star players being available. I would go all in for Rick Nash. If you acquire him, you have a legitimate shot at resigning Ryan Suter and Weber (or at least one of them). If Suter walks, you are still arguably in a fantastic, if not better, position as a franchise. He is the goal-scoring forward we have always always needed. 7.8 million is steep, but we can make it work.

Two firsts, Smith, Blum, Lindback. (?) This may be a little light in remuneration, but I think the point is made. Poile makes that trade and we still have a top 15 prospect pool with a roster that is cup contending and has 4 superstars...
I would be ok with that as well. Would probably prefer Brown, but if we can get Nash I really think we should.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:10 AM
VFL615*

Quote:

You take Klein so personal. I know Klein is one of are only options on D at this time. Yes he is are number 3 d-man and it sucks that is the best we got. This is where IMO Trotz needs to be critized for having waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long of a leash for a guy just because he is a veteran on the team. I know why he is "protected" by the coaching staff. I guess he is protected by some fans because they only see what they want to through Trotz and the coaching staffs decisions.
Klein makes a ton of mistakes and should at best be on the 3rd line playing 10 minutes or less at best. If you truly think Klein is a real #3 D man than i hope you are not surprised when we lose another tough series in the first round because of bone headed mistakes.
To each their own!

Old
02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
get dustin brown get dustin brown get dustin brown get dustin brown
this

Old
02-24-2012, 10:24 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We will not get Rick Nash unless we overpay by an astronomical amount. Columbus is not going to trade him within the division.

Closed Thread