HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Pete DeBoer "This guy gets it and has great ties"

Old
02-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Mustangs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
PD was the coach i wanted in NJ. If he had more to work with in florida he would have made it work. He just needs to keep them play good and develping there play for the playoffs.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

We were supposed to be a bubble team. Yet we're 2nd in the East in points.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:37 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Lol your pessimistic ass BT said that we won't make the playoffs

EliasR8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseR8 View Post
Lol your pessimistic ass BT said that we won't make the playoffs
Which is why we're where we are.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:58 PM
CerebralGenesis

Still some things Pete does I'm not sure about but he's gotten this team to really buy in and play well so I won't complain about that.

The players we have signed to be on our defense has me worried. But it's the same song and dance for 5 years now.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Last year's team had me excited out of the gate but worried about the coach. This year's team had me worried abut the team more than the coach, but with each passing game after 10 or 15 or so, I became more convinced the chemistry was right, and the coach was solid, but I still expected only a moderate shot at the playoffs and a big learning curve with so many rookies in key positions getting so much ice time that the next legit cup run would likely not see Marty or Elias on the roster... But lo and behold, last 15-20 games have convinced me there's more than just a little magic present and a deep playoff run may not be so far fetched.

With that glimmer of hope, and the added voice of support for their coach and each other, this team has me believing despite the pre-season pessimism. I want Lou and Pete to show us it's real, and push the chips all in rather than fold the pocket jacks. Sure it's still a long shot given the opposition, but it's also completely possible nobody's sitting on a higher pocket pair, and despite the bigger chip stack in the standings, we can make the hands needed with a little luck and send some of our most beloved players into the sunset remembering how they hoisted the cup much more recently than I would have thought possible a little more than a year removed from our darkest point in a long time.

I welcome the fact that I can even muster excitement at this point to see how this plays out.

Go for it guys. My body is ready.
Amen good sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
The team I see this season is vastly different than the team I'v seen in seasons past. That's all the reason enough for me to be optimistic. Old formula wasn't working.

I don't want to hear "Goalie and no-name D is the same." It's just...different Just....something about this team has changed, and I like it.
I'm only 26 years old, but I remember '95 vividly. This team was SMOKED on paper to the Wings. Chemistry and hard work pays off.
I think one of the reasons I love hockey so much is because it's just such an emotional sport. Statistics, player rosters, etc....that stuff is important too, but hockey is just one of the those games where I think you have to look past some of that stuff and really try to have a feel for what is taking place. Everybody's opinion should have value regardless, however, I feel if you're truly in tune with this team and the vibes they're giving off, imho it's insane to not be excited about their chances. Teams that are capable kind of have a way of letting you know.

Coming into the season I fully expected this team to make the playoffs. After watching the first 20 or so games I felt this team definitely had promise for more despite the frequent brain farts. At this point, I think they have the attitude, work ethic and skill to really have a fair shot at dropping a few jaws. That's not to say they can't use some tweaking. Lou, in my mind at least, still has the opportunity to give NJ a better chance should the opportunity present itself come next Monday. But as it stands, NJ is much better then most people give (or want to give) them credit for.

This team started this mission in January 2011 and I just don't see them stopping until it's complete. Sometimes it's ok to believe. I know I do.

Last edited by Sir Fenwick Corsi: 02-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Sir Fenwick Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
35-20-4

4th in the Conference and trending upward.

I want more worts.
Green Flash Palate Wrecker has mashed and sparged hopped wort.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i was a little iffy on deboer being our coach cause i live and florida and caught almost every panther game and but i had feeling if he had a better team he could do something special

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:45 AM
kiwidevil

I wish posters here were willing to put their name on the line when things go the opposite, in a good way for the team against what they predicted.

Rather than posters who say one thing(ie:supposed team flaw) then cry out "I knew this would happen" and point to that one certain view as the definitive downfall of the team, when we don't win.

So many people on here we so certain this team wouldn't even sniff the playoff's.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Green Flash Palate Wrecker has mashed and sparged hopped wort.
Dude....YES. Green Flash!

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:58 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I wish posters here were willing to put their name on the line when things go the opposite, in a good way for the team against what they predicted.

Rather than posters who say one thing(ie:supposed team flaw) then cry out "I knew this would happen" and point to that one certain view as the definitive downfall of the team, when we don't win.

So many people on here we so certain this team wouldn't even sniff the playoff's.
I think I was the only person in the Room to predict a 100+ point during the off season...I think I was told I was being a little over optimistic....LOL.

I was very nervous about the defense with the loss of White...I called it the worst in Devils history...Still pretty damn close to that right now but a few good things happened that I didn't think would happen...

1. Mark Fayne actually got better this season. Most people here thought he was just playing over his head and wasn't real...Even when was doing it last season people wanted to talk about how Urbom and Taormina were "above" him..With the benefit of hindsight that is quite ridiculous today. I never believed that totally but in the back of my mind I had my doubts whether or not that he could play well for a full season....He has exceeded expectations beyond believe. Fayne has played legit top 4minutes all season and has done an excellent job. He maybe the single biggest reason that this defense isn't complete dog crap.

2. Bryce Salvador has actually been so much better than I expected that I'm almost shocked by it. His last year before he was injured he was terrible. His positioning was erratic for a Stay at Home guy and he often seemed to be at the center of every mistake. Not so much this year and he has been more than an adequate White replacement this season.

3. Adam Larsson's Rookie Mistakes. Now, when I knew we were going with Fayne, Salvador and Larsson to start the season I think I soiled my pants a little bit. Questions marks surrounding Salvador and Fayne were real, throw in a rookie who is guaranteed to make costly mistakes coupled with two regulars who very well may not have performed at the NHL level and you have a very scary scenario for the Defense.

Larsson’s rookie mistakes were about what I expected but they aren’t as frequent as I expected and they aren’t any physical weaknesses like I expected....By that I mean I fully expected him to have a difficult time along the boards with some forwards and I've seen none of that, it actually has probably been a strength of his and quite surprising for a rookie...He still seems to not be fully aware of the time and space in the NHL and how quickly things happen but his season so far has been a lot better than I expected.

Last edited by JimEIV: 02-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.
JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:10 AM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

1. Mark Fayne actually got better this season. Most people here thought he was just playing over his head and wasn't real...Even when was doing it last season people wanted to talk about how Urbom and Taormina were "above" him..With the benefit of hindsight that is quite ridiculous today. I never believed that totally but in the back of my mind I had my doubts whether or not that he could play well for a full season....He has exceeded expectations beyond believe. Fayne has played legit top 4minutes all season and has done an excellent job. He maybe the single biggest reason that this defense isn't complete dog crap.

2. Bryce Salvador has actually been so much better than I expected that I'm almost shocked by it. His last year before he was injured he was terrible. His positioning was erratic for a Stay at Home guy and he often seemed to be at the center of every mistake. Not so much this year and he has been more than an adequate White replacement this season.

3. Adam Larsson's Rookie Mistakes. Now, when I knew we were going with Fayne, Salvador and Larsson to start the season I think I soiled my pants a little bit. Questions marks surrounding Salvador and Fayne were real, throw in a rookie who is guaranteed to make costly mistakes coupled with two regulars who very well may not have performed at the NHL level and you have a very scary scenario for the Defense.

Larssonís rookie mistakes were about what I expected but they arenít as frequent as I expected and they arenít any physical weaknesses like I expected....By that I mean I fully expected him to have a difficult time along the boards with some forwards and I've seen none of that, it actually has probably been a strength of his and quite surprising for a rookie...He still seems to not be fully aware of the time and space in the NHL and how quickly things happen but his season so far has been a lot better than I expected.
I do remember you mentioning the defense before the season started. Fayne has been a tremendous find by Lou and company. It's great to have a reliable right-handed defenseman on the team. It's been awhile. He definitely looks to be a legit 2nd paring d-man as it stands.

Salvador has been a rock and will likely be re-signed to a 1 or 2 year deal.

Can't wait to see how Larsson progresses. The guy just screams number 1 defenseman to me. Some of the things he does just gives you the sense. That slap pass to Elias in the Winnipeg game was amazing.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post

love this post. love it. but Iíve come to understand such is the life of an internet message board. its almost fun to read the thread created when zach signed a one year deal. holy hell. same with whitey leaving. everyone knows everything, except those that actually make the decisions. just remind yourself itís a message board, and steer clear from the IRLÖ

really, solid post.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Last year's team had me excited out of the gate but worried about the coach. This year's team had me worried abut the team more than the coach, but with each passing game after 10 or 15 or so, I became more convinced the chemistry was right, and the coach was solid, but I still expected only a moderate shot at the playoffs and a big learning curve with so many rookies in key positions getting so much ice time that the next legit cup run would likely not see Marty or Elias on the roster... But lo and behold, last 15-20 games have convinced me there's more than just a little magic present and a deep playoff run may not be so far fetched.

With that glimmer of hope, and the added voice of support for their coach and each other, this team has me believing despite the pre-season pessimism. I want Lou and Pete to show us it's real, and push the chips all in rather than fold the pocket jacks. Sure it's still a long shot given the opposition, but it's also completely possible nobody's sitting on a higher pocket pair, and despite the bigger chip stack in the standings, we can make the hands needed with a little luck and send some of our most beloved players into the sunset remembering how they hoisted the cup much more recently than I would have thought possible a little more than a year removed from our darkest point in a long time.

I welcome the fact that I can even muster excitement at this point to see how this plays out.

Go for it guys. My body is ready.
Did you take this from a movie? It sounds like something I would hear in a movie.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
love this post. love it. but Iíve come to understand such is the life of an internet message board. its almost fun to read the thread created when zach signed a one year deal. holy hell. same with whitey leaving. everyone knows everything, except those that actually make the decisions. just remind yourself itís a message board, and steer clear from the IRLÖ

really, solid post.
Nahh, there were some posters who said that we wouldn't even sniff and some who were sure that we make it and the majority said we're going to be a bubble team. And you know what? We actually were a bubble team the whole season until the ASG (or until the Bernier and Poni moves) and started a big streak which makes us look very good right now and we are in a position where it's nearly impossible to not make the playoffs. But nobody saw those moves coming in the offseason and the majority was right, the team we iced for the first half of the season was a bubble team. That's it. How things went during that 4-game-losing streak wasn't cool but you can understand it when a franchise who made the playoffs so many consecutive years has an awful year and starts the next season very mediocre. That's why we're fans. I agree that we shouldn't exaggerate now and we shouldn't have exaggerated this much during that losing stretch, but man, that's why we care, we love that team and follow it every day and of course we react to things. But to say that many posters thought we wouldn't even sniff is not true.

Bondys Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dutch View Post
Nahh, there were some posters who said that we wouldn't even sniff and some who were sure that we make it and the majority said we're going to be a bubble team. And you know what? We actually were a bubble team the whole season until the ASG (or until the Bernier and Poni moves) and started a big streak which makes us look very good right now and we are in a position where it's nearly impossible to not make the playoffs. But nobody saw those moves coming in the offseason and the majority was right, the team we iced for the first half of the season was a bubble team. That's it. How things went during that 4-game-losing streak wasn't cool but you can understand it when a franchise who made the playoffs so many consecutive years has an awful year and starts the next season very mediocre. That's why we're fans. I agree that we shouldn't exaggerate now and we shouldn't have exaggerated this much during that losing stretch, but man, that's why we care, we love that team and follow it every day and of course we react to things. But to say that many posters thought we wouldn't even sniff is not true.
I didnít say the sniff thing. I always sniff, then I declare that neil peart is the best drummer alive.

no, I was talking about how people should chill the **** out when something happens, because all of us combined know jack **** when compared to lou lams, kovalchuk, or anyone else that actually works in the business. you talk about being a fan, but to me, being a fan is placing hope and faith in your teamÖthat theyíll do the right thing and win it all every year. kind of like religion, but without the genocide. thatís all.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Richer's Ghost
Mr. Ferguson to you

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Did you take this from a movie? It sounds like something I would hear in a movie.
Heaven 4?

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Sieves between the pipes and too many playoff noobs in key positions for my taste (the latter might ultimately do in NJD, as well).

BTW, your last post was spot on, IMO.
Thank you, although I disagree about playoff experience, you have to learn sometime.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
CerebralGenesis

I don't think I want Salvador back, especially with the fact that we might have cash problems. If the $ is resolved then I could be ok with his return at a much lower cost.

I predicted 7th in the conference before the year, I said the Rags at 8 so what do I know, but anything in the playoffs is dandy for me.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Salvador should not be brought back. Absolutely unnecessary with Volchenkov in the fold in addition to the one dimensional Tallinder.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
devilsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
I wonder where he shops?! Some Classy ties right there.
My guess is Jersey Shore Premium Outlets.
I love that place

devilsrock is offline   Reply With Quote