HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen's going nowhere. WHIIICKKET!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
  #51
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Smartest way to go.
i have a feeling if we dont sign him now, someone will make him a better offer.
Alot of people are seriously under-evaluating Moens value.

In terms of bottom 6 players around the league, he's part of the "elite" (He is not by any chance an elite player overall thats not what i'm saying)
He brings things to the table that EVERY team wants from their 3rd and 4th liners and he's pretty much a bottom 6 complete package.

Can pot some goals, can fight, will stick up for team mates, will kick it up a notch come playoffs, good leader, good locker room guy, easy to coach, gives his all every game, big, decent speed for his size, very defensively sound, good on the PK

Moen is the type of player we complain we dont have enough off, we cant risk losing him.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
  #52
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,477
vCash: 500
If Moen was healthy and still playing then it would've made more sense just to trade him and get a decent return, however I doubt team's are offering up anything significant at this point. Best case scenario we would've likely got a 2nd for him but if he indeed has a concussion which is holding him out I doubt team's would give up anything close to that. I'd rather re-sign him instead of trading him for something like a late third rounder..

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
  #53
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Not liking this if this is true. He's a third liner. I love the guy but if they can a pick for him, do it.
Gauthier is a tool.

Now that I got that out of the way, Moen is more valuable than a 2nd round pick that will take years to develop and get into the NHL. Moen has 9 goals and fought Thornton to a draw. Moen is needed on this team now playing along side White and hopefully another gritty tough player on the 4th line.

I remember reading here the posts that people said they would love to have a tough guy as long as he could play sound hockey, score goals and still fight. We have him. His name is Travis Moen and people are ready to trade him for a pick that may lead to nothing.

Sign Moen now to a 2 or 3 year contract.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
  #54
EXPOS123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
For God's sake, what is this love fest with Moen? So many people on this board make him sound like he is the second coming of Messier. He is a third liner people! He is standing out this year simply because every else (except for Cole, Pax, Desharnais) is playing like garbage. If there is significant interest in Moen, and Gauthier decides to make him unavailable, he should be tarred and feathered on the spot. We are of one the worst teams in the league - and you'd rather keep a third liner than improve yourself? Gauthier must be dumber than I thought.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
  #55
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Gauthier is a tool.

Now that I got that out of the way, Moen is more valuable than a 2nd round pick that will take years to develop and get into the NHL. Moen has 9 goals and fought Thornton to a draw. Moen is needed on this team now playing along side White and hopefully another gritty tough player on the 4th line.

I remember reading here the posts that people said they would love to have a tough guy as long as he could play sound hockey, score goals and still fight. We have him. His name is Travis Moen and people are ready to trade him for a pick that may lead to nothing.

Sign Moen now to a 2 or 3 year contract.
Exactly, plus the guy is doing an underrated defensive job I mean he is like the second or third best defensive forward on the team playing massive minutes on the PK with Plekanec along with all the qualities you're also giving the guy. He would be better if he isn't as much use in a first or second line role which is clearly not his game and he doesn't look as good when the coach put him in that situation. Also he would be more effective on the physical part of the game if he would always play with guys like White, another forward of that type (Gaustad, Prust, Thornton, Asham, Kostopoulos) and if Habs add a big physical beast on the defensive position (Allen, Murray) that would make the team grittier and Moen wouldn't be alone doing the dirty job.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  #56
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
If the return isn't worth what Moen brings to the team, I agree that I'd rather see him re-signed. I'd like to know what's being offered though. I'm thinking that his injury has scared a lot of teams and the offers are just too low and it's worth the gamble to re-sign him instead.

As for them saying that to raise the offers, I don't buy it. You don't tell other GM's not to bother calling if you want to raise his value, at the risk of them not calling... if anything, you want to create a bidding war.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:46 PM
  #57
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I don't know, remember Betts ? like Moen he was only on IR and his waiving was refused.(in fact he was supposed to be healthy, but Habs medical team found that he was hurt enough to be put on IR)
I believe its because of hiding of the injury or extent of the injury which is what caused it to be voided.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
  #58
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
For God's sake, what is this love fest with Moen? So many people on this board make him sound like he is the second coming of Messier. He is a third liner people! He is standing out this year simply because every else (except for Cole, Pax, Desharnais) is playing like garbage. If there is significant interest in Moen, and Gauthier decides to make him unavailable, he should be tarred and feathered on the spot. We are of one the worst teams in the league - and you'd rather keep a third liner than improve yourself? Gauthier must be dumber than I thought.
In the world of NHL '12 (or whatever version people play), it is awesome to have a team of Top 6 players on all four lines. Roll the lines and score those goals better than the next guy.

But here in the real world of salary cap NHL, you try to get the best Top 6 that you can and then find the suitable role players to fill out your bottom 6.

The reason that we are struggling this year (in addition to the pathetically weak defense PG assembled) is that we are a team of "Top 6" players (half are Top 6 AHL quality) spread across all 4 lines. When you have Palushaj, Engqvist, Leblanc etc playing on our 4th line, you know that your team is in trouble.

Cups are won because of a very effective Top 6 and also because of the support of the bottom 6 in their defined roles.

Moen is an excellent bottom 6 player for what he brings to the team.

And yes, our Top 6 needs improvement.....regardless of Moen. Trading Moen now will do ZERO to help our Top 6. Trading Gionta will help. So will getting rid of Gomez.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
  #59
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
For God's sake, what is this love fest with Moen? So many people on this board make him sound like he is the second coming of Messier. He is a third liner people! He is standing out this year simply because every else (except for Cole, Pax, Desharnais) is playing like garbage. If there is significant interest in Moen, and Gauthier decides to make him unavailable, he should be tarred and feathered on the spot. We are of one the worst teams in the league - and you'd rather keep a third liner than improve yourself? Gauthier must be dumber than I thought.
Whose making him out to be the second coming of Messier. Most want him either signed for the third line or put on the market. I dont see posters calling him untouchable but more valuable for the bottom lines.

Majority people dont understand Gauthier here and are grasping at straws saying its because of injury. Carter deal was pending a medical, likely so would Moens if that were the case.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
  #60
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I don't know, remember Betts ? like Moen he was only on IR and his waiving was refused.(in fact he was supposed to be healthy, but Habs medical team found that he was hurt enough to be put on IR)
That's not how it went down.
Betts was claimed by us, and he failed the physical.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  #61
eklund the clown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
If Moen isn't signed before the deadline you trade him.How much longer do we have to put up with this BS?How many more players do we have to lose for nothing?How many times have we seen this?Talk is cheap and word of mouth neans nothing.Sign the new contract before the deadline or see ya.

eklund the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  #62
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Whose making him out to be the second coming of Messier. Most want him either signed for the third line or put on the market. I dont see posters calling him untouchable but more valuable for the bottom lines.

Majority people dont understand Gauthier here and are grasping at straws saying its because of injury. Carter deal was pending a medical, likely so would Moens if that were the case.
I'm not worried about what the fans say (there are plenty that stop just short of using the word 'untouchable', btw); it's what management says. And if management suggests that they're not even entertaining offers for Moen, in a year where he's getting all kinds of bounces (maybe some would argue that his current 20% shooting percentage is sustainable and to be expected from him? lol), I'm gonna start tossing around accusations of senility. Suppose it depends on how much it costs to keep him around, and what the offers are that interested teams are reportedly ready to put forward, but if we end up paying a guy like him anywhere close to $3 million/year to keep beyond this season... it'll be pretty embarrassing.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:34 PM
  #63
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm not worried about what the fans say (there are plenty that stop just short of using the word 'untouchable', btw); it's what management says. And if management suggests that they're not even entertaining offers for Moen, in a year where he's getting all kinds of bounces (maybe some would argue that his current 20% shooting percentage is sustainable and to be expected from him? lol), I'm gonna start tossing around accusations of senility. Suppose it depends on how much it costs to keep him around, and what the offers are that interested teams are reportedly ready to put forward, but if we end up paying a guy like him anywhere close to $3 million/year to keep beyond this season... it'll be pretty embarrassing.
Oh i agree 100%, in a season which has so much fail written all over it, i dont believe anyone should be safe.

I personally dont have faith in the management team in place to make the needed changes. I have a strong feeling as in Montreal recent history (the last 15 years), they will stay the course. Keep making minor moves, not change the culture or style of the team.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
  #64
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
It sends the message that the Habs want to be competitive as soon as possible and don't want to go for a full rebuild. I have no problem with that but of course, they have to re-sign him or it would make no sense at all.
Moen is a 3rd liner at best and could be replaced- or trading him doesnt mean habs would be in a full rebuild!! LOL

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
  #65
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm not worried about what the fans say (there are plenty that stop just short of using the word 'untouchable', btw); it's what management says. And if management suggests that they're not even entertaining offers for Moen, in a year where he's getting all kinds of bounces (maybe some would argue that his current 20% shooting percentage is sustainable and to be expected from him? lol), I'm gonna start tossing around accusations of senility. Suppose it depends on how much it costs to keep him around, and what the offers are that interested teams are reportedly ready to put forward, but if we end up paying a guy like him anywhere close to $3 million/year to keep beyond this season... it'll be pretty embarrassing.
of course-- 3 million? that would be dunb and also par for the course
Moen before this season ehh wasnt doing much of anything

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
  #66
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Moen is a 3rd liner at best and could be replaced- or trading him doesnt mean habs would be in a full rebuild!! LOL
I agree. In the end it might come down to choosing Moen or Darche to complete the 4th line (conceivable that MaxPac, Bourque, and possibly Gomez might be ahead of him in LW depth), and if I have to choose between $1 million for one more year of Darche (even at 35) and $2.5+ million (heck, I might balk at $2 mil, depending on term) for Moen, I go with Darche, trade Moen for picks (or whatever), and re-evaluate available FAs in July, or look internally if nothing can be found by camp next year.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
  #67
Riverside Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Riverside Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,078
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
What a farce.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
  #68
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
He's a 3rd liner on one of the worst teams in the league. Is he really vital to any success? His value is pretty high, take advantage of it.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
  #69
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Just when I think PG may finally be putting things together (I think the Gill trade netted us a pretty good return) he follows it up with a horrific move like this. I'm sorry - if Moen was signed for next year I'd be fine with this. But he's not signed. He's for all intents and purposes a rental and this season we do not need a rental. So either trade him for something we do need (picks, prospects, a better doctor for Andrei) or sign him. Just don't say he won't be traded and give him all the leverage.

Come on PG. Did you go to the Neville Chamberlin school of negotiations or something?

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
  #70
Young Gun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
How in the **** do we get better if we don't part ways with some of the dead wood we have ???
Ak don't want to leave
Darche wants to stay
Gorges wants moen to stay

We the fans want 5 or 6 players shipped out to make room for bigger, better players.

Who do we cheer for tonight !!! lol whats it all coming tooooooo

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
  #71
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Gauthier is a tool.

Now that I got that out of the way, Moen is more valuable than a 2nd round pick that will take years to develop and get into the NHL. Moen has 9 goals and fought Thornton to a draw. Moen is needed on this team now playing along side White and hopefully another gritty tough player on the 4th line.

I remember reading here the posts that people said they would love to have a tough guy as long as he could play sound hockey, score goals and still fight. We have him. His name is Travis Moen and people are ready to trade him for a pick that may lead to nothing.

Sign Moen now to a 2 or 3 year contract.
could have added, team player - great defensively - great on the PK also - was solid with AK/Eller on the 3rd...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
  #72
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's a 3rd liner on one of the worst teams in the league. Is he really vital to any success? His value is pretty high, take advantage of it.
So yeah, last 2 years in the playoffs, getting to the conference finals, next year 1 goal away to beat the stanley cup champs, and this year we are scrubs?

Really?

Moen is playing on the 3rd line on every team in the NHL. No one will overlook Moen if he's on the market

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
  #73
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
How in the **** do we get better if we don't part ways with some of the dead wood we have ???
Ak don't want to leave
Darche wants to stay
Gorges wants moen to stay

We the fans want 5 or 6 players shipped out to make room for bigger, better players.

Who do we cheer for tonight !!! lol whats it all coming tooooooo
better, I get it... but bigger ? well if you're looking for size then all three stay...

(pretty much the same weight as Cole and Bourque, you know)

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
  #74
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
So yeah, last 2 years in the playoffs, getting to the conference finals, next year 1 goal away to beat the stanley cup champs, and this year we are scrubs?

Really?

Moen is playing on the 3rd line on every team in the NHL. No one will overlook Moen if he's on the market
True, he was good enough for 3rd line duties on a Cup winning team already (Ducks).

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:17 PM
  #75
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's a 3rd liner on one of the worst teams in the league. Is he really vital to any success? His value is pretty high, take advantage of it.
Yes he is. PG and Georges came out publicly to pretty much say just that.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.