HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL North Stars Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2011, 12:49 PM
  #76
a79krgm
Registered User
 
a79krgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: White Bear Lake
Country: United States
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Yesterday at one of the NHL draft events I got a chance to see and hear some former North Stars talk about the good old days.

Tim Young & Brad Maxwell described the first time Jack Carlson walked into the Met Center locker room to meet the guys soon after Nanne traded for him ... long hair wearing platform shoes and a checkered suit with tail. Maxwell said, "we knew we were in trouble" [after seeing Jack walk looking like that] - very funny.


a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:16 AM
  #77
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
00xtremeninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Source Comic & Games
Country: Germany
Posts: 900
vCash: 250
the book he wrote "Slap Shot in real life" is a hilarious read. go pick it up at your local store today!

00xtremeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
  #78
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Saw this in the Strib today - What if...the North Stars had never moved?

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  #79
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Saw this on Twitter:

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:24 PM
  #80
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
That might be the best example of athlete-reading-ad-cue-cards-poorly I've ever seen. And man did I see a lot of Denard Span's Subway ads at the Metrodome.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM
  #81
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
This thread hadn't seen any love in a little while so since I was just loading a few pics I figured I'd give it a bump.

Me & my girl keeping the N'Stars love alive at the Wild/Ducks game this past sunday...

Go North Stars errrrrr, WILD!





I know Russo mentioned this too but there were a good amount of Wild fans there that night, more than usual. I even saw one or two other North Stars t-shirts or sweatshirts. And as always when we wear our North Stars stuff, we got a lot of compliments from random fans about it!


Last edited by se7en: 07-18-2012 at 05:24 AM.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 05:25 PM
  #82
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I know Russo mentioned this too but there were a good amount of Wild fans there that night, more than usual. I even saw one or two other North Stars t-shirts or sweatshirts. And as always when we wear our North Stars stuff, we got a lot of compliments from random fans about it!
I think the Wild sold travel packages to go see the Wild play the Ducks and the Kings, so that would be why.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:29 AM
  #83
Hypno Toad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern Minnesota
Country: Norway
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Hypothetical question: The Dallas Stars got a new owner. Let's say they moved and somehow they lost their rights to the name North Stars. Would you support the Wild going back to the North Stars?

Hypno Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:54 AM
  #84
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
00xtremeninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Source Comic & Games
Country: Germany
Posts: 900
vCash: 250
lol, you are opening a can of worms with that one Toad. Been discuassed so much in the past.

I for one feel like that ship has sailed. The logo, the name, records etc all moved south to Texas and will maybe end up somewhere else. Rights to the logo or not, the Wild have made their own history and it doesn't make sense for them to adopt a logo that isn't thiers.

00xtremeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
  #85
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
lol, you are opening a can of worms with that one Toad. Been discuassed so much in the past.

I for one feel like that ship has sailed. The logo, the name, records etc all moved south to Texas and will maybe end up somewhere else. Rights to the logo or not, the Wild have made their own history and it doesn't make sense for them to adopt a logo that isn't thiers.
Sadly, I think you're right. I'd love to see it happen, though. I think Winnipeg has shown that it doesn't have to be all that awkward to adopt an old name for a different franchise.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:22 PM
  #86
Dee Oh Cee
Registered User
 
Dee Oh Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
No I would hate it. The new generation of fans including myself had nothing to do with the North Stars and the idea of changing the name for the sake of people who can't move on ...just doesn't make sense.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:13 PM
  #87
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
For me, it's not even about being able to move on. I just happen to like that name better. I think that the North Stars had one of the best jerseys in NHL history and it's a shame that it's going unused. Plus it would be a nice way to shed the "expansion team" label, but that's really pretty secondary.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:26 PM
  #88
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
It's a silly question anyway. There's absolutely no chance that the Stars will be relocated in the next 5 or so years.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  #89
Dee Oh Cee
Registered User
 
Dee Oh Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
We're a different team. I like having a separate identity.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:06 PM
  #90
Jacques The Mayor
Registered User
 
Jacques The Mayor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: wastings mn
Country: United States
Posts: 555
vCash: 50
If they did ever relocate I would be fine with a north stars themed jersey as a 3rd but we've been the wild for a decade so a name change this late in the game would be absurd.

Jacques The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:40 AM
  #91
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,016
vCash: 500
Sens fan here who found this thread from a Google search, and I just wanted to say

I think they are the same team (and would like to see the North Stars name return (maybe Dallas will rename themselves in hopes of boosting their league worst attendance)). Just because 20 or so players play in together in two cities, and some rich dude buys a piece of paper that says he "owns" the history that was a collective experience between players (including those who were around long before the move) and fans, doesn't mean it is a different franchise.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
  #92
Takola
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Hey Sask

I tend not to post here as I'm recovering North Star addict. I kinda knew what was coming when they came out with the Star logo in 92' witch was the year I finished H.S. Out of respect for my kid's generation who grew up with the Wild and there adverb name and all Its a a totally different team and I've become a rather big fan, though it helped when Modano retired the first time. Still some (my father in law) quit watching hockey altogether.
Though we still sit and tell old north star story's like "When Dino got arrested for getting his paper in the nude" or the epic Maxwell brothers used to get into it against the Hawks. It usually makes my kids roll there eyes.
If we could get the old N* logo and hell the Fighting Saints wile were on my wish list back for like Retro flash back Fridays or something it would Rule. Barring that like my youth its gone except in the memory's of those that were there for the good times. Just Watch the new Wild and you shall to be converted into the Church of Yeo.

Takola
(the Church of Yeo did not officially endorse this message)


Last edited by Takola: 12-12-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: grammer
Takola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:48 AM
  #93
sioux210
Registered User
 
sioux210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Country: United States
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G letsundresse View Post
If they did ever relocate I would be fine with a north stars themed jersey as a 3rd but we've been the wild for a decade so a name change this late in the game would be absurd.
i dnt get why we dont just use it as a third anyways, with the possibility of a winter classic i think the wild will consider it

sioux210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
  #94
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
i dnt get why we dont just use it as a third anyways, with the possibility of a winter classic i think the wild will consider it
I actually asked the Wild once (via email)..

There's numerous reasons that it'll probably never happen...

For starters, Even tho the Wild organization knows how much alot of fans still love & miss the old North Stars (as well as their logo & name) the fact is that no matter how you slice it, the Wild are a totally different franchise.. The ONLY connection is that they play(ed) in the same state.. I know this is a poor example but it's almost like saying "I think the Islanders should wear an old Rangers jersey sometime to honor the hockey played in New York before the Islanders were around..."

The Wild are trying to establish their own identity & as much as us nostalgic fans would like to see a connection made, there really isnt one to make... Especially with the "Stars" franchise still a fixture in the league.. If the Stars ever folded there could be a chance but it's still not likely..

We're more likely to see the Stars bring it back as a winter classic jersey or use the old logo as a shoulder patch for like the teams 75th anniversary.. But even that is a stretch. Those jerks in Dallas basically erased the North Stars heritage.. There's nothing that infuriates me more than see all their "Stars, established in 1993" crap.. In my opinion if youre going to basically use our old name & secondary logo at least honor all your heritage. In my book it's all or nothing. Not this pick & choose crap they do..

I heard a rumor that a few years ago the Stars old owner (Hicks I think) offered Minnesota the option to buy back the logo & name rights so that the Wild could use it for throwback purposes but the Wild declined.. I have never had that verified but there was a good chance it did happen when the Stars started all their financial woes...

Trust me, it sucks.. I hate the Wild, well everything.. The ONLY reason I'm a fan is because they represent Minnesota. But I would do away with that name, jersey, logo, colors, everything in a heartbeat if I could.. Its grown on me a little & the logo is clever but I still think it's so cheesy & lame to be called "Wild" & wear xmas colors...

So ya, if there's anyone that wants that logo & name back, even if it's just for a single game, its this guy but it's very unlikely to ever happen... Modano throwing the old star capped N on & doing laps in our arena was probably the closest will ever get to seeing it take our ice again...




sorry for the loooooong explanation.

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
  #95
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
We've had this discussion several times, and I can pull out the USPTO listings again if you'd like, but Dallas does not own the North Stars trademark. The NHL does. If there was a Winter Classic, odds are decent that the NHL would actually be pushing the Wild to use that logo on their throwback uniforms, for marketability reasons.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:35 PM
  #96
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
We've had this discussion several times, and I can pull out the USPTO listings again if you'd like, but Dallas does not own the North Stars trademark. The NHL does. If there was a Winter Classic, odds are decent that the NHL would actually be pushing the Wild to use that logo on their throwback uniforms, for marketability reasons.
I.. was... unaware of this.. Don't go thru any unnecessary effort because I totally believe it.. I ws just curious how long has the NHL owned the rights? That just seems strange because you'd think that the Stars wouldnt acquire it in the sale..

Also, hypothetically, if the Stars ever played the Wild in a Winter Classic, why would the NHL want the Wild to wear it!? You'd think they'd want the Original Stars franchise to wear it and they'd want the Wild to create a throwback jersey of their own...

Kind of like a New Minnesota vs Old Minnesota. Give the Wild a chance to conquer the old team. If the Wild wore North Stars stuff it would be like the Stars playing the Stars (which would be kind of cool) but I just don't see it happening like that, Also. I dont see the Wild going for it. They wouldnt want their first ever winter classic to be remember as them playing as a totally different franchise..

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
  #97
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I.. was... unaware of this.. Don't go thru any unnecessary effort because I totally believe it.. I ws just curious how long has the NHL owned the rights? That just seems strange because you'd think that the Stars wouldnt acquire it in the sale..

Also, hypothetically, if the Stars ever played the Wild in a Winter Classic, why would the NHL want the Wild to wear it!? You'd think they'd want the Original Stars franchise to wear it and they'd want the Wild to create a throwback jersey of their own...

Kind of like a New Minnesota vs Old Minnesota. Give the Wild a chance to conquer the old team. If the Wild wore North Stars stuff it would be like the Stars playing the Stars (which would be kind of cool) but I just don't see it happening like that, Also. I dont see the Wild going for it. They wouldnt want their first ever winter classic to be remember as them playing as a totally different franchise..
Not sure how long it's been this way, but I'm pretty sure the NHL owns all trademarks of defunct teams. The new Jets definitely had to get the trademark from the league; Bettman specifically said during the relocation announcement festivities that he would make the name available if Chipman and co. wanted it. I think the only exception is the Whalers, because of a special clause that gave the trademarks to the City of Hartford.

As far as using it...Look at the Flames' Heritage Classic sweaters; they're based on a defunct Calgary team. Look at the Senators' current "heritage jerseys"; again, based on a long-gone Ottawa team. It's not about pretending to be those teams or conflating the histories; it's just about honoring the city's past.

And I don't think the Stars are going to be playing in a WC any time soon, so I don't think that's really a concern. The NHL's MO lately has been to give Classics to teams that have been WC visitors in the recent past, and I don't think they're exactly grooming Dallas for an outdoor game.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
  #98
tyratoku
Registered User
 
tyratoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,111
vCash: 500
Would it be in bad taste to wear my North Stars jersey to the Wild/Dallas game on march 13?

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
  #99
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Would it be in bad taste to wear my North Stars jersey to the Wild/Dallas game on march 13?
Not at all. Just make sure you cheer for the good guys.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:03 PM
  #100
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Not sure how long it's been this way, but I'm pretty sure the NHL owns all trademarks of defunct teams. The new Jets definitely had to get the trademark from the league; Bettman specifically said during the relocation announcement festivities that he would make the name available if Chipman and co. wanted it. I think the only exception is the Whalers, because of a special clause that gave the trademarks to the City of Hartford.

As far as using it...Look at the Flames' Heritage Classic sweaters; they're based on a defunct Calgary team. Look at the Senators' current "heritage jerseys"; again, based on a long-gone Ottawa team. It's not about pretending to be those teams or conflating the histories; it's just about honoring the city's past.

And I don't think the Stars are going to be playing in a WC any time soon, so I don't think that's really a concern. The NHL's MO lately has been to give Classics to teams that have been WC visitors in the recent past, and I don't think they're exactly grooming Dallas for an outdoor game.
Good points & I hope you're right!

I just kind of figured that if Minnesota ever got a Winter classic they'd have us play Dallas.. But I guess the Blackhawks, Blues or Jets would all make sense too..

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.