HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Ellis reassigned to Milwaukee

Old
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Many of us (including me) feel that Ellis should be playing.......in Nashville........over Bouillon for example. No matter what the reasoning, Trotz and company don't feel the same way so it's a moot point. What I do think, though, is at this time with the decisions being made that sending him down to get playing time is a good move. Won't say it's the right or wrong move, but when all is said and done it's a good move right now. He's way more productive playing for the Cracked-Out Cap'n Crunches in Milwaukee (oh, no one else sees that in their logo?) than sitting in our press box on game night.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
He is no more of a liability than Klein or Frankie on any given night.
Please tell me you aren't serious... Klein goes up against Nash, Datsyuk, Lucic, and the Sedin's on a given night while Ellis has to look forward to Scott Nichol, Scott Thornton, Maxim Lapierre, Jared Boll, and Darren Helm. Yes, that's totally the same...

(removed)

I want Ellis in the lineup as much as the next guy. And I HATE Boullion and Klein as a pairing as I don't think either one can move the puck well at all, but I'll be da*ned fool to ignore the fact that Ryan has some (very) key missing elements to his defensive game that he needs to improve upon in order to play some heavier minutes of the NHL. If we have to give up a lil production from Ellis now in order to get A LOT of production from him in the future, I'm 100000% ok with it.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 02-24-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: unnecessary
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Please tell me you aren't serious... Klein goes up against Nash, Datsyuk, Lucic, and the Sedin's on a given night while Ellis has to look forward to Scott Nichol, Scott Thornton, Maxim Lapierre, Jared Boll, and Darren Helm. Yes, that's totally the same...

(removed)

I want Ellis in the lineup as much as the next guy. And I HATE Boullion and Klein as a pairing as I don't think either one can move the puck well at all, but I'll be da*ned fool to ignore the fact that Ryan has some (very) key missing elements to his defensive game that he needs to improve upon in order to play some heavier minutes of the NHL. If we have to give up a lil production from Ellis now in order to get A LOT of production from him in the future, I'm 100000% ok with it.
Klein does not go up against "Nash, Datsyuk, Lucic, and the Sedin's on a given night"
Unless he is caught on the ice after a change. If he did we would have lost more games than we have this year.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 02-24-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: edited quote
VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Ellis is offensively gifted, but, is beyond sheltered. 62.9% of his ES shifts start in the offensive zone, barely 50% of his shifts end there. This is against the weakest competition of any d-man on the roster. For all of Cube's drawbacks, he is capable of going up against mid-tier competition. Josi is outperforming Cube .... Josi/Klein was a workable pairing.

Ellis has parts of his game that are ready for primetime, but his work as a defender still needs honing. Better that he gets the playing time in Milwaukee than riding the pressbox in Nashville.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Klein does not go up against "Nash, Datsyuk, Lucic, and the Sedin's on a given night"
Unless he is caught on the ice after a change. If he did we would have lost more games than we have this year.
No, you're right. Klein routinely plays against the 2nd line at ES. Last week he shut down Marian Hossa and after a tough 1st period last night (along with the whole team), Klein was the Preds best defenseman the rest of the night.

Klein is an excellent No. 4 and a very good No. 3 defenseman. He is a key piece of the Preds D corps and isn't going anywhere...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:31 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
your blind hate for Klein has been very apparent on these boards. So everytime Klein is (realistically) talked about, you don't have to make a post talking about how he sucks. We all get it.

It still doesn't ignore the fact that he is is 3rd on the team in ES Ice Time by over 1 minute, 2 minutes over our #5 dman (Josi), and 6 minutes over our #6 dman (Gill/Ellis). Also, Klein's QoC is 3rd on the team at 0.475 (compared to Ellis' -0.763, btw)

Old
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
This is inaccurate. Klein plays against top six talent. His Quality of Competition is third highest among defensemen (not including Gill since he has only been here briefly) who have played 20 or more games. He is followed by Bouillon, Josi, Blum, Ellis, and Hillen, in that order. His quality of teammates is 7th... behind Weber, Suter, Ellis, Bouillon, and Josi (again, excluding Gill).

Stats aren't everything, but using those stats AND watching the team play should be enough to make folks realize Klein is not out there against inferior competition. Also, he is not out there with the best of the best in terms of talent on the team.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
predwings

Could this be to free up roster space for an incoming player?

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

He will be back once the coaches realize how bad Cube is

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
He will be back once the coaches realize how bad Cube is
--signed, Jared Smithson

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post

(removed)

Excuse me, no I have not played at a high college level, but I have watched enough hockey to know when a team benches an important piece of the puzzle. Ellis brings a skill set that no one besides weber possess, and even then he is sometimes a hybrid between Weber and Suter in the offensive zone.

Without Ellis, please tell me who is going to play with Josi on the power play? Klein? Gill? Hillen? All of those are fantastic options let me tell you.

Or how about who is going to move the puck up the ice? Gill? Klein? Frankie? Great options as well.

If we moved him to MIL to save a year or RFA, then fine I understand an asset management move. To say that we are better off with him in MIL is foolish. He is doing just fine in the NHL. He brings a skill set the team needs, and its not like our record is awful with him in the lineup. I see very little difference between Frankia and Ellis in the D zone considering both of them get pushed around by bigger forwards more often than not, but Ellis is far superior in the offensive zone.

Nothing you say is going to change my mind and nothing I say is going to change yours. I believe having ellis in the lineup gives us the best chance to win.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:04 PM
utmfisher19

Quote:
Nothing you say is going to change my mind and nothing I say is going to change yours. I believe having ellis in the lineup gives us the best chance to win.
LoL. What's funny, is I completely agree with the bolded part. But you over-react to things so much on this board, you can't begin to comprehend that.

Important piece to the puzzle? So you want to keep Ellis around to make sure out 2nd PP unit is more successful is that important? For what? Their 30 seconds of ice time per PP? Is that all you want him around for? I mean, I'd MUCH rather have Suter and Weber play the entire 2 minutes and let Gill, Boullion, and Klein play the PK.

Btw, there is more to playing defense than being able to move the puck out of the defensive zone. It is about closing down angles, cutting off passing and shooting lanes, being able to separate body from puck, clearing the crease, winning board battles, and most important knowing when to step up at the blueline to give out a hit. To me, Ellis is good at 3 out of those 7 things.

You CAN'T tell me Ellis hits just as hard as Boullion. Ellis has always been a skill-first player and not a body-to-body guy. Boullion has always been a physical guy even at his smaller stature (think Tootoo). While I agree that I would 100% rather have Ellis over Boullion (mainly because of Ellis' potential but also because we badly need his puck-moving skills), at this point, both are about even on the playing field -- if not even, Boullion with a slight advantage. Ellis has a much higher ceiling and is MUCH better off getting 22 minutes of ice time a night in the AHL than he is sitting on the bench here. You don't want to hurt Ellis' upside just for (possible) current/present SLIGHT advantages.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 02-24-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: stupid grammar
Old
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Without Ellis, please tell me who is going to play with Josi on the power play? Klein? Gill? Hillen? All of those are fantastic options let me tell you.
We can throw SK on the point during the PP. A lot of teams put strong puck moving forwards on the point for the PP, and SK would fit in perfectly.

You do raise a concern that I think a lot of us have in that we are running low on PMD. Suter and Josi are the only two who are strong at moving the puck up the ice. Weber can, too, but we aren't going to break up the Weber/Suter pairing just to capitalize on what puck moving ability Shea does have.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:37 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Ellis brings a skill set that no one besides weber possess.
they both shoot the puck hard? or did ellis frow a foot and gain 50 pounds of mean?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We can throw SK on the point during the PP. A lot of teams put strong puck moving forwards on the point for the PP, and SK would fit in perfectly.

You do raise a concern that I think a lot of us have in that we are running low on PMD. Suter and Josi are the only two who are strong at moving the puck up the ice. Weber can, too, but we aren't going to break up the Weber/Suter pairing just to capitalize on what puck moving ability Shea does have.
Not only "can" we throw SK out there on the point on the PP, we did exactly that last night, and the unit looked great as they generated some good pressure and a couple of looks.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Not only "can" we throw SK out there on the point on the PP, we did exactly that last night, and the unit looked great as they generated some good pressure and a couple of looks.
Actually has been the case in all, but one of the games Ellis has been scratched. SK plays the point for Belarus in Olympic competition, he played the point in juniors, and he's played the point in Montreal. I think he's fairly comfortable there and a better option than the experiment with Legwand out there earlier this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
they both shoot the puck hard? or did ellis frow a foot and gain 50 pounds of mean?
No, they can both grow a mean beard. Eventually Ellis will posses the Weber beard.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Utmfisher,

That maybe true, and I attribute it to my passion. I am not really offerded the luxury of expressing myself and this is kind of my place to do that.

For what its worth, I wasn't this way last year, don't really know what happened with that. Again, I just think Ellis is worth more the then big club now than him playing a couple extra games in the A.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:15 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Utmfisher,

That maybe true, and I attribute it to my passion. I am not really offerded the luxury of expressing myself and this is kind of my place to do that.

For what its worth, I wasn't this way last year, don't really know what happened with that. Again, I just think Ellis is worth more the then big club now than him playing a couple extra games in the A.
how about we wait and see how long he's down before we have a conniption.

if he's called back up after the deadline, you are going to look kinda silly.

if he doesn't see nashville until next season, you probably have a point

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote