HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

01/25/06 Coyotes Strange Stat

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2006, 03:42 PM

vCash: 500
01/25/06 Coyotes Strange Stat

This week I took a look at how the Coyotes do when they have a lead in a game versus how they do if they are trailing in a game.

First, let me define my subject. If a team takes the first goal and leads 1-0 then I count that as a lead in the game, if the opposition counters to tie it up 1-1 but then the original team retakes the lead 2-1 I count that as just one lead in the game, not two, because the lead never changed.

The Coyotes have only had two games all season where they had a lead, trailed at one point and came back to win the game. Those two games were the 5-4 OT win against St. Louis and a 3-2 win in Dallas.

The Coyotes at no point this season trailed, took the lead, and trailed again. In other words, the Coyotes have no won if they trailed at two different times during the game.

The Coyotes have 23 wins and 9 losses if they have a lead in the game. They have 12 wins and 26 losses if they trail at any point in the game including one shootout win. Of course there is some overlap here because there were occassions when they gave up the lead and fought back to win the game. Obviously there are no guarantees they will win if they get a lead, but there are no guarantees they'll lose if they are trailing either.

By comparison, take the division leading Dallas Stars. The Stars have 29 wins and 9 losses if they have a lead in the game. The Stars have 13 wins and 17 losses if they trail at any point in the game including two shootout wins. On two different occassion a 5-4 OT loss against San Jose and a 3-2 loss against Phoenix, the Stars had the trailed, took the lead, and trailed to lose the game. On only one occassion did the Stars take the lead, trail, and regain the lead and that was a 4-2 against Anaheim.

The major difference between the Coyotes & Stars is that if the Stars are losing at any point in the game, they can still find a way to get the offense to win the game. Their records are very similar with a lead in the game, but Dallas isn't out of it when they trail in the game like Phoenix is.

In their past 10 games, Phoenix is 3-1 when they had a lead, and 3-6 when they trailed.

In their past 10 games, Dallas is 6-1 when they had a lead, and 6-3 when they trailed.

In their past 20 games, Phoenix is 7-3 when they had a lead, and 6-12 when they trailed.

In their past 20 games, Dallas is 11-4 when they had a lead, and 7-8 when they trailed.

Closed Thread