HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 10.0: "What Can Brown Do For You?"

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Cliffy1814

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Botta

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL...21315547525120

I like that. Make an easy move Sather, draft picks for Pahlsson, Kostitsyn. Don't sell the farm/kill the chemistry. Re-evaluate in off-season

Sather only speaks to the media if he needs / wants something. This is his way of telling Howson the offer for Nash isn't going to get any better.
It actually is true, but you have to think Sather wants Nash bad. Adding in the summer is still going to cost assets (assuming Parise signs elsehwere), and he'll have missed a potential opportunity to win the Cup. (I don't think they win as currently constituted). No guarantees with Nash of course, but he fits what they lack IMO.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie Reply Retweet Favorite Open
IF LAK are no longer considering trading Dustin Brown, as @FriedgeHNIC tweeted, I can most certainly assure you they were. #TradeCentre #tsn

02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Pierre LeBrun ‏ @Real_ESPNLeBrun Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Further to @FriedgeHNIC tweet, there does seem to have been some pullback on Dustin Brown from Kings since last night. Why I'm not sure...

Old
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Sather only speaks to the media if he needs / wants something. This is his way of telling Howson the offer for Nash isn't going to get any better.
It actually is true, but you have to think Sather wants Nash bad. Adding in the summer is still going to cost assets (assuming Parise signs elsehwere), and he'll have missed a potential opportunity to win the Cup. (I don't think they win as currently constituted). No guarantees with Nash of course, but he fits what they lack IMO.
Doesn't matter at this point, he doesn't need to send a message through the media. Both the NYR and Toronto have made their respective offers. I doubt either one increases any further from here, I mean this proposal is most likely the extent each thinks Nash's worth will be to their team.

Burke, like Lombardi, is an over-payer. Those two will smash their franchise's into the ground to get the players they want in the line-up. Sather isn't. I see, like many recent trade deadlines, Sather taking a pass at grabbing the big trade. Hopefully he'll add something of value beyond healthy scratch depth, but at this point I don't see Nash to NY. And if the recent reports are true, Brown is off the table as well.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Hemsky isn't an enigma???? He's the epitome of enigma.

A player that will never live up to expectations. Will never be healthy.

5 goals this year. FIVE.

NO to Hemsky.
But in the six years prior he's been close to a PPG player. He isn't Zherdev or Wolski, not even close. He's got a good head on his shoulders but is having an off-year. He was pivotal in the Oilers SC run in 2006.

Old
02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Agree. Hemsky = Wolski

For the record. I don't want Brown. He is going to cost more in assets than he is worth because of that low cap hit. This from an LA Kings Blog :

Dustin Brown is average, at best, defensively. He can hit. He is not mean. He is not edgy. He is smash mouth in his hitting only. He cannot fight. He is good for 15-25 goals per season and is wildly inconsistent from week to week. His hockey IQ is questionable.
Doesnt that kind of describe Callahan too? I mean Cally isnt mean, he isnt edgy, he doesnt fight. He is smash mouth in his hitting only. Are those supposed to be bad things? Not everyone is a fighter. Thats not what he gets paid to do. Also the he is good for 15-25 goals a season part is a bit of an understatement, the guy has averaged 27 goals the last 4 seasons.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Doesnt that kind of describe Callahan too? I mean Cally isnt mean, he isnt edgy, he doesnt fight. He is smash mouth in his hitting only. Are those supposed to be bad things? Not everyone is a fighter. Thats not what he gets paid to do. Also the he is good for 15-25 goals a season part is a bit of an understatement, the guy has averaged 27 goals the last 4 seasons.
No. Callahan is incredibly hockey smart, he's brilliant defensively, he DOES play with an edge, and I certainly would not define him as "wildly inconsistent".

Old
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
But in the six years prior he's been close to a PPG player. He isn't Zherdev or Wolski, not even close. He's got a good head on his shoulders but is having an off-year. He was pivotal in the Oilers SC run in 2006.
He may have a good head on his shoulders but the guy hurts his shoulders carrying his bag to the rink. I dont want that guy on this team. First of all its been said that Edmonton is asking too much. Second of all the guy is having a terrible year. Thirdly he can stay healthy for ****. He's been in the league 9 years and has missed 10 or more games in 7 of them including 75 in the last 2 seasons with injuries to both shoulders.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
No. Callahan is incredibly hockey smart, he's brilliant defensively, he DOES play with an edge, and I certainly would not define him as "wildly inconsistent".
Apparently you didnt notice the part I bolded. Thats the part I was talking about. Not the other stuff.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I think you guys are misreading that tweet.

Just because Glen Sather is sitting back relaxed doesn't mean he has given up on Nash, he's still going hard after Nash--as judged by the final offer tweet, but he understands he's done all he could.
Could mean he knows he's been in the drivers seat the entire time as well.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
He may have a good head on his shoulders but the guy hurts his shoulders carrying his bag to the rink. I dont want that guy on this team. First of all its been said that Edmonton is asking too much. Second of all the guy is having a terrible year. Thirdly he can stay healthy for ****. He's been in the league 9 years and has missed 10 or more games in 7 of them including 75 in the last 2 seasons with injuries to both shoulders.
1) We most likely would not be resigning him.
2) Change of scenery around a first place team could potentially do wonders.
3) Durability is a concern, but if we aren't giving up too much, the reward could very well be worth the risk.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
This isn't the six years prior. This is now. And now he's a frail, underachieving player.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
He averages over 20g per year, and is incredibly durable, staying healthy for full seasons over and again unlike Cally's been able to do so far. They both hit everything that moves, and they both play down low in the offensive zone. Brown has played on a team that struggling to score is the norm, rather than the exception.

If you're saying Cally plays with an edge, which I think he does if you don't think of an edge as being borderline play, then Brown has every bit the edge that Cally has. Look him up, he's had wars with Staal, Phaneuf, Suter and Nash. The guy plays a violent game.

I've also never heard anyone question Brown's hockey IQ. He's a good passer, and logs a normal shift on the PK and PP.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Apparently you didnt notice the part I bolded. Thats the part I was talking about. Not the other stuff.
The other stuff is pretty important... regardless, I disagree that Callahan does not play with an edge.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This isn't the six years prior. This is now. And now he's a frail, underachieving player.
Sounds a lot like the "what have you done for me lately" attitude that had everyone ready to trade Del Zotto for a bag of pucks last year.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
He averages over 20g per year, and is incredibly durable, staying healthy for full seasons over and again unlike Cally's been able to do so far. They both hit everything that moves, and they both play down low in the offensive zone. Brown has played on a team that struggling to score is the norm, rather than the exception.

If you're saying Cally plays with an edge, which I think he does if you don't think of an edge as being borderline play, then Brown has every bit the edge that Cally has. Look him up, he's had wars with Staal, Phaneuf, Suter and Nash. The guy plays a violent game.

I've also never heard anyone question Brown's hockey IQ. He's a good passer, and logs a normal shift on the PK and PP.
I wasn't questioning Brown's skill. I was simply questioning someone who was questioning Callahan's skill.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Krams
what a time

Dennis Wideman?

Quote:
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Rangers might have interest in Dennis Wideman but not available at moment. Caps will deal Hamrlik, who has $3.5M on over-35 next year.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
I wasn't questioning Brown's skill. I was simply questioning someone who was questioning Callahan's skill.
Pretty sure I wasnt questioning Callahan's skill. I was pointing out the stuff in bold could pretty much describe Callahan also and while they were trying to make it seem like a bad thing, its part of the reason that makes Callahan such a great player on this team. Not sure why you thought I was questioning Callahans skill but thats cool.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Dennis Wideman?
Honestly that would be a fantastic pickup. Right handed shot, great on the PP (more than half his career goals and points came on the PP), UFA after the season. If it doesnt cost much, hell yeah

Old
02-24-2012, 02:34 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Honestly that would be a fantastic pickup. Right handed shot, great on the PP (more than half his career goals and points came on the PP), UFA after the season. If it doesnt cost much, hell yeah
See my post in the other thread. He's almost as bad as Eminger in his own zone. Much rather have Sarich...physical/nasty player...doesn't turn the puck over every time someone goes to hit him(like Wideman does).

Old
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Wideman and Brown..get it done!

Old
02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
See my post in the other thread. He's almost as bad as Eminger in his own zone. Much rather have Sarich...physical/nasty player...doesn't turn the puck over every time someone goes to hit him(like Wideman does).
Sarich does nothing to help the PP. I dont mind Wideman's defensive lapses so much because they can be covered by Staal like Emingers are. I have no problem putting Wideman out there in Emingers spot. Defense is fine on this team they need help on the PP and Wideman potentially does that

Old
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Sarich does nothing to help the PP. I dont mind Wideman's defensive lapses so much because they can be covered by Staal like Emingers are. I have no problem putting Wideman out there in Emingers spot. Defense is fine on this team they need help on the PP and Wideman potentially does that
I think we should pick a thread to argue this in because putting it in both is making me restate my points.

The powerplay isn't broken because of players...it it broken because of the system/coaching. Wideman will have zero effect on the PP. Hell, Girardi can get shots on net if need be. The problem is the predictability of it, the lack of movement, and the fact that the other team is not forced to move or react to anything. They just stand there waiting for shots and clear th puck when they can. No player can fix this. And as I said, Wideman is so bad defensively that he isn't worth whatever offense he brings.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
I think we should pick a thread to argue this in because putting it in both is making me restate my points.

The powerplay isn't broken because of players...it it broken because of the system/coaching. Wideman will have zero effect on the PP. Hell, Girardi can get shots on net if need be. The problem is the predictability of it, the lack of movement, and the fact that the other team is not forced to move or react to anything. They just stand there waiting for shots and clear th puck when they can. No player can fix this. And as I said, Wideman is so bad defensively that he isn't worth whatever offense he brings.
lol I agree

Old
02-24-2012, 03:31 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Wideman and Nash..get it done!
Fixed for ya

Closed Thread