HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen's going nowhere. WHIIICKKET!!!

Old
02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Harry Kakalovich

vCash: 500
I'd like the Canadiens to trade Travis Moen, personally, but not because I think he is a horrible player, just want the Habs to bring in a whole whack of new players next year. But if they don't trade him, they better sign him.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
So yeah, last 2 years in the playoffs, getting to the conference finals, next year 1 goal away to beat the stanley cup champs, and this year we are scrubs?

Really?

Moen is playing on the 3rd line on every team in the NHL. No one will overlook Moen if he's on the market
Man am I sick of reading that line.

Jamie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:35 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
Man am I sick of reading that line.
i'm much more sick of reading all the constant pessimism and refutal of the good things habs have accomplished over the years because we didn't win it all

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
meh.. don't get why this is such great news but.. woohoo anyways?

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Jamie Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i'm much more sick of reading all the constant pessimism and refutal of the good things habs have accomplished over the years because we didn't win it all
Losing in the first round is an accomplishment? I guess we have a different meaning for the word.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:42 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
in fantasy land maybe, but trade then re-sign with the team that traded him almost never happen.
last one i remember
Joe Corvo

2010/07/07 Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Carolina Hurricanes.
2010/03/03 Carolina Hurricanes traded Joe Corvo to the Washington Capitals for Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala and a 2nd round selection in 2011.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Idiotic.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This is the situation we didn't want. Gauthier taking decisions away from his successor. If the new guy wants Moen then he knows where to find him July 1, meanwhile time to get anything you can on the draft pick front.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
LePoche69

I don't see the point in bringing back the same players next year.

Let's say I believe that yeah, the Habs had injuries to some key players, blablabla, Habs ain't that bad, blablabla...

The fact remains that if the injured players come back in shape next year, and that others have a better season, the Habs would be at best, again, fighthing for a playoffs spot. I hope people don,t believe Bourque is so good, that gionta would make a big difference, blablabla...

I like players like Moen, Plekanec, etc, I really do. But the Habs are going nowhere with those guys and those players will be declining before the Habs Nucleus will be mature enough to fight for the Stanley Cup. So what's the point in keeping them? Better trading guys 1 year too soon than one year too late.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Haaabs

It could just be Pierre Gauthier attempting to drive the price for Moen up. I hope. Otherwise its just another player we're going to lose without getting any return.

I don't see the point in keeping him if we don't re-sign him before the season's over. We don't need him for the playoffs because we aren't going to be in them.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

if Moen isnt signed or traded by monday 3 pm this management is really stupid and should be fired at 3:01

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Losing in the first round is an accomplishment? I guess we have a different meaning for the word.
i think our applications of the word difer. i understand the need to win it all and all, but your logic seems to dicate that if you did not win it all (or SCF lets say) means there are no accomplishments, which suggests that there is no development if there is no 'win'.
Either that or you'r so pissed that you purposly negate all the positives in last few years due to inability to control you'r anger towards not being the 'best of the bestest', which seems to be the case quite often around here and in general.

Negating the positives like Moen has brought in the past just to gamble on future unknowns (picks) might not be the best. I agree with Gill, because those are holes that can or would of been filled up, and i would like to see what kind of value darche has around the league (if he can fetch low 2nd, would be nice) and even possibly AK (though i don't think it's good idea unless the return is great, which i doubt, or package deal to improve overall). Moen's value right now is for teams that are looking for bottom 6, possibly 9 if need be, for the PO's, who probably don't have long term plan for Moen. His his value is limited to that. While for the habs, we need player(s) like Moen in our Bottom 6 if we want to be competitive. Looking for replacment might be cost more then return right now Moen would fetch.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's a 3rd liner on one of the worst teams in the league. Is he really vital to any success? His value is pretty high, take advantage of it.
i dont understand this argument

he's not meant to play a top 6 game.
He would be a 3rd/4th liner on any team

He was a 3rd/4th liner on anaheim and yes he was really vital to their success

maltby, draper, pahlson, carbo, gainey, keane, laperriere, claude lemieux all 3rd/4th liners all were vital to their teams and none would play in the top 6

just cause someone plays on the 3rd/4th does no mean they are useless, its their role.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This is the situation we didn't want. Gauthier taking decisions away from his successor. If the new guy wants Moen then he knows where to find him July 1, meanwhile time to get anything you can on the draft pick front.
Unless Moen states that he wants to remain in the city, most likley outcome is that we lose Moen in UFA, which results in us either not finding suitable replacment for Moen and his role on the team, or overpaying in trade for similar player (most likley negative value of returns Moen got us by trading him most likley). Or we go crazy and offer him overpayment on july 1st to outbid alot of teams that will line up at his agents office. Hoping for given players to be your's come July 1st, is probably a sign GM is not GM material.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
i think our applications of the word difer. i understand the need to win it all and all, but your logic seems to dicate that if you did not win it all (or SCF lets say) means there are no accomplishments, which suggests that there is no development if there is no 'win'.
Either that or you'r so pissed that you purposly negate all the positives in last few years due to inability to control you'r anger towards not being the 'best of the bestest', which seems to be the case quite often around here and in general.

Negating the positives like Moen has brought in the past just to gamble on future unknowns (picks) might not be the best. I agree with Gill, because those are holes that can or would of been filled up, and i would like to see what kind of value darche has around the league (if he can fetch low 2nd, would be nice) and even possibly AK (though i don't think it's good idea unless the return is great, which i doubt, or package deal to improve overall). Moen's value right now is for teams that are looking for bottom 6, possibly 9 if need be, for the PO's, who probably don't have long term plan for Moen. His his value is limited to that. While for the habs, we need player(s) like Moen in our Bottom 6 if we want to be competitive. Looking for replacment might be cost more then return right now Moen would fetch.
You're speaking with way too much logic! Most on this board think Habs fans are entitled to the Stanley Cup championship every year even though there are 29 other teams who all work under the same CBA, the same salary cap, try to acquire from the same player pool etc. These same entitled posters are also in denial regarding all the disadvantages (taxes, language, idiot fans and media etc) that Habs management has to face. If only life was so easy...

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Mue

Good (if he has indicated he is willing to sign an extension).

If the Habs trade Moen they will just have to fill that spot in the off-season with no guarantee of finding an adequate replacement.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Failing Hands

Quote:
30 teams + cap = you're not going to see that Cup that much.

Get used to it.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
According to the canadian press, PG has told other GM's that ravis moen is Unavailable. This is great news, and I am so glad that PG has the sense to keep the kind of player he's going to need to acquire more of to win in this league. Thank christ!
what

Moen , bro we are 15th in the conference for Christ Sake

wtf is a 30 year old who scores 10 goals a year going to do for us ?

Cole on pace for 30 and we still are 15th in the conference

Moen is the type to go to Boston as depth 10-12 th forward to play on a 4th line for a little grit to help win another cup

on us he is fken uselss moving forward ...get another second and move on

tying up 1.5-2 mil for Moen is another retarded move by our gm

in 3 years maybe we get somewhere he is done by then

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Jamie Thomas

Quote:

I'm not one to say that unless you win it all you have failed. The fact that they made it to the Conference final was certainly an accomplishment, and even if I think they have been lucky in eliminating very superior teams, I realize that you have to be somewhat lucky to get that far.

I just don't understand how people can say ''We lost by one goal to the SC Champs" and be proud of it. Losing by 1 goal or by 5, they still lost in the first round and this is nothing to brag about.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Jamie Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failing Hands View Post
30 teams + cap = you're not going to see that Cup that much.

Get used to it.
Has the expectations gotten so low that getting in the playoffs is an accomplishment? Losing in the first round is a positive?

I never said the Habs should win it all every year, that's just stupid.

edit

Anyway the thread is about Moen. I am a big fan of his, I have no problem if the Habs sign him to a new contract, but if a team is willing to overpay to get him, I sure hope that someone in the management is smart enough to entertain the offers.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
I'm not one to say that unless you win it all you have failed. The fact that they made it to the Conference final was certainly an accomplishment, and even if I think they have been lucky in eliminating very superior teams, I realize that you have to be somewhat lucky to get that far.

I just don't understand how people can say ''We lost by one goal to the SC Champs" and be proud of it. Losing by 1 goal or by 5, they still lost in the first round and this is nothing to brag about.
i agree, losing in first round is nothing to brag about, but the series in itself, going to 7 games, to OT, was good experience and an accomplishment in itself. Being that close can only mean that we where not that far (from winning the series), but at the end yea, we lost in the first round.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Gauthier is a tool.

Now that I got that out of the way, Moen is more valuable than a 2nd round pick that will take years to develop and get into the NHL. Moen has 9 goals and fought Thornton to a draw. Moen is needed on this team now playing along side White and hopefully another gritty tough player on the 4th line.

I remember reading here the posts that people said they would love to have a tough guy as long as he could play sound hockey, score goals and still fight. We have him. His name is Travis Moen and people are ready to trade him for a pick that may lead to nothing.

Sign Moen now to a 2 or 3 year contract.
mark this down in your calendat SH, im agreeing with you!

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
According to the canadian press, PG has told other GM's that ravis moen is Unavailable. This is great news, and I am so glad that PG has the sense to keep the kind of player he's going to need to acquire more of to win in this league. Thank christ!
I just don't get you people...seriously!

I like Travis Moen, I think we DO need his type of skill set in the bottom 6, but for the love of god, just think this through!

1. IF you can get any kind of overpayment for him why would you NOT take it AND resign him again in the summer! Seriously if he wants to stay just have a conversation with his agent and let them know your intentions. You get value PLUS you get him back.

2. He is going to entertain offers in the off-season anyway, its not like we are signing him to a contract before trade deadline.

It's the lack of COMMUNICATION that drives me nuts with the orginization. Send him to an team that has a chance to win the cup and he'll be GRATEFUL for the opportunity, especially when he has the understanding that you would like to see him come back. He gains playoff experience and the team gets more assets...it's called a WIN-WIN.

But to tell teams that he's not even available without listening to offers is just plain STUPID!

Of course look at our GM and our senior advisor.... what would one expect!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Unless Moen states that he wants to remain in the city, most likley outcome is that we lose Moen in UFA, which results in us either not finding suitable replacment for Moen and his role on the team, or overpaying in trade for similar player (most likley negative value of returns Moen got us by trading him most likley). Or we go crazy and offer him overpayment on july 1st to outbid alot of teams that will line up at his agents office. Hoping for given players to be your's come July 1st, is probably a sign GM is not GM material.
Moens a battered and bruised player whose skills are in decline.

In every fcking deal that Gauthier has made he's had a 3rd liner put in the deal, what was his plan? Stock up Hamilton? Seriously where is Schultz? Bournival? Geoffrion? One of these should be in the plan for next year.

Let the new GM sort it out, but Moen is definitely not an essential player or at the least not an irreplaceable player. Gauthier is a lame duck who shouldn't be allowed to make decisions that impact beyond this year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
i agree, losing in first round is nothing to brag about, but the series in itself, going to 7 games, to OT, was good experience and an accomplishment in itself. Being that close can only mean that we where not that far (from winning the series), but at the end yea, we lost in the first round.
Not to mention, we only lost one game in regulation time in that entire series but won three in regulation. Bruins also had luck on their side. Who could forget the Cammalleri overtime shot that hit Chara's snow-shoe sized skate with Chara's back to the play. You need a few breaks to win and the Bruins got several in their championship run....the Cammy shot off Chara's foot (when he wasn't even looking) was a biggie.

Edit: Having said all that, if Habs don't already have an agreement with Moen, they should trade him. Teams like Detroit and Vancouver could really use him.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote