HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impressed by one of your prospects...

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Matrix

vCash: 500
Impressed by one of your prospects...

Hi Guys,

Frenchie Habfan here that was interested in yesterday's game between the London Knights and the Guelph Storm on Sportsnet. We had 2 interesting prospects in that game that played well Serget Kostitsyn and Matt D'Agostini but from my perspective one of the best player on the ice (King Schremp included though he had a very good game) was Ryan Callahan. That kid sure knows how to play hockey, impressive puck skills, very fast, quick decision maker, nose for the net, I wouldn't be surprise despite his size that he'll make it sooner than later.

Truly impressed, you guys turned it around as far as prospects are concerned. Good for you!

Old
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Hi Guys,

Frenchie Habfan here that was interested in yesterday's game between the London Knights and the Guelph Storm on Sportsnet. We had 2 interesting prospects in that game that played well Serget Kostitsyn and Matt D'Agostini but from my perspective one of the best player on the ice (King Schremp included though he had a very good game) was Ryan Callahan. That kid sure knows how to play hockey, impressive puck skills, very fast, quick decision maker, nose for the net, I wouldn't be surprise despite his size that he'll make it sooner than later.

Truly impressed, you guys turned it around as far as prospects are concerned. Good for you!
Thanks for the Callahan info. much appreciated.

what i am amazed at is how quick it is coming together. We still lack 1 or 2 true top-end talents at Forward, but we've got great prospects, and with depth, and every other position.

in the NHL this year, we already have 3 of the best rookies in hockey, and this is only year 1 of the rebuild.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:13 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
We still lack 1 or 2 true top-end talents at Forward, but we've got great prospects, and with depth, and every other position.
That's the key. If the majority of the prospects turn out well, the team will have a nice load of second tier players. What you hope is that one develops well beyond expectations or that enough of them show themselves true NHLers that the team has sufficient depth and value to acquire a significant player in trade.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
That's the key. If the majority of the prospects turn out well, the team will have a nice load of second tier players. What you hope is that one develops well beyond expectations or that enough of them show themselves true NHLers that the team has sufficient depth and value to acquire a significant player in trade.

....and that is what I think is the coolest part, namely the surprise factor. Everybody thought this was just a work in year for Hank and Petr and look at how much they have exceeded expectations. I think we have several really good surprises down the road if we are patient.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:03 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
....and that is what I think is the coolest part, namely the surprise factor. Everybody thought this was just a work in year for Hank and Petr and look at how much they have exceeded expectations. I think we have several really good surprises down the road if we are patient.
yea imagine if Sather did this in 2000, good thing he did this now. He gotta sign Callahan this summer. I bet he can make the team and yes I mean Rangers. He is just as good as Dawes in terms of making it because he is more grittier and bigger. Imagine a Dawes Dubinsky Callahan line in the future.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:19 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
yea imagine if Sather did this in 2000, good thing he did this now. He gotta sign Callahan this summer. I bet he can make the team and yes I mean Rangers. He is just as good as Dawes in terms of making it because he is more grittier and bigger. Imagine a Dawes Dubinsky Callahan line in the future.

What evidence do you have that he is just as good as Dawes? Callahan is just now (as an old 20 year old) matching what Dawes was putting up at 18 (not to mention Dawes' WJC expiriance.) I'm excited about Callahan too, but we've got to be careful with these overagers. A year of development is a big deal in juniors, especially when you consider that Ryan was never a big time scorer until this year (he put up decent numbers, but nothing close to what he's doing now.)

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but these numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. That doesn't meen he won't or can't be an NHL player, but his cieling is probably not as high as this year's production would indicate.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
What evidence do you have that he is just as good as Dawes? Callahan is just now (as an old 20 year old) matching what Dawes was putting up at 18 (not to mention Dawes' WJC expiriance.) I'm excited about Callahan too, but we've got to be careful with these overagers. A year of development is a big deal in juniors, especially when you consider that Ryan was never a big time scorer until this year (he put up decent numbers, but nothing close to what he's doing now.)

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but these numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. That doesn't meen he won't or can't be an NHL player, but his cieling is probably not as high as this year's production would indicate.

As an 18 year old he put up 68 points in 68 games, thats pretty respectable, but he not projected to be a 2nd liner, I see an upside and a energy guy that CAN put the puck in the net, a more skilled Ortmeyer...both play with a ton of heart, both are leaders. Im looking forward in seeing what Callahan will do in the AHL.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:36 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
As an 18 year old he put up 68 points in 68 games, thats pretty respectable, but he not projected to be a 2nd liner, I see an upside and a energy guy that CAN put the puck in the net, a more skilled Ortmeyer...both play with a ton of heart, both are leaders. Im looking forward in seeing what Callahan will do in the AHL.

That's what i see as well (although 'see' is a misnomer, since, like most of us, I'm flying blind on the kid.) Looking at his stats/scouting reports, a good energy playery with decent hands sounds perfectly reasonable. What I was objecting to was the idea that Callahan's pontential is similiar to Dawes'. The vast majority of NHL top 6 fowards put up big numbers in Major Junior (although this isn't always true for NCAA guys and Europeons.) Those that don't tend to be big guys who need to grow into they're bodies and work on they're skating. Callahan doesn't fit into this catagory.

I'm not pretending to be an expert on the guy, and numbers/scouting reports can lie, but there are definately trends that one can look at. Very little in Callahan's resume points to top 6 potential

Old
01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
That's what i see as well (although 'see' is a misnomer, since, like most of us, I'm flying blind on the kid.) Looking at his stats/scouting reports, a good energy playery with decent hands sounds perfectly reasonable. What I was objecting to was the idea that Callahan's pontential is similiar to Dawes'. The vast majority of NHL top 6 fowards put up big numbers in Major Junior (although this isn't always true for NCAA guys and Europeons.) Those that don't tend to be big guys who need to grow into they're bodies and work on they're skating. Callahan doesn't fit into this catagory.

I'm not pretending to be an expert on the guy, and numbers/scouting reports can lie, but there are definately trends that one can look at. Very little in Callahan's resume points to top 6 potential
As I was trying to point out above that is the beauty of a nice surprise. Like you I am flying totaly blind on this guy; but as Prucha and Lunqvist have shown us, you just never know. That being said you are both probably right. 3rd or maybe 4th line guy with good potential and upside. If that is the case the competition in Hartford for a spot on next years version of the Wolf Pack is going to be fierce. If the camp is open to the public, it will be a lot of fun to watch.

Old
01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Isn't what you are saying the result of good

Quote:
scouting work by Sather, Renney and Staff?

Old
01-23-2006, 07:18 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Sure it is. Your point?

Old
01-23-2006, 08:23 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
I wouldn't be surprise despite his size that he'll make it sooner than later.
size doesn't seem to matter as much as it did in the clutch and grab era. plenty of smaller players in the league now making it(just look at 172 pound prucha, moore, hollweg), and i think all rangers fans fully expect to see dawes next season at some point. it's really speed and toughness highlighted now.

however, size is nice.

Old
01-23-2006, 08:25 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER

Glen...that you?

Old
01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Hold the phone, did I sense a hint of (gasp) optimism?

Old
01-23-2006, 10:10 PM
MMMcasserole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I doubt you've even watched Callahan play...

Old
01-24-2006, 07:31 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger
Hold the phone, did I sense a hint of (gasp) optimism?
Nope, simple objectivity. The Rangers really should be in good shape "if the majority of the prospects turn out well."

We'll all keep our fingers crossed about these kids, but the Blueshirts won't be out of the woods on their rebuilding unless a number these good-looking prospects show that they're more than just good-looking prospects.

Old
01-24-2006, 10:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The Rangers really should be in good shape "if the majority of the prospects turn out well."
Then again, pretty much any team can say the same thing.

01-24-2006, 11:36 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Then again, pretty much any team can say the same thing.
Exactly. And that's why - to return to a very old argument - the GM of this team shouldn't receive any plaudits for these kids yet.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
As I was trying to point out above that is the beauty of a nice surprise. Like you I am flying totaly blind on this guy; but as Prucha and Lunqvist have shown us, you just never know. That being said you are both probably right. 3rd or maybe 4th line guy with good potential and upside. If that is the case the competition in Hartford for a spot on next years version of the Wolf Pack is going to be fierce. If the camp is open to the public, it will be a lot of fun to watch.
There is a difference in the kinds of scouting reports we got for Prucha and Lundqvist as compared to Callahan.

Prucha, we knew, was either going to be a top 6 forward or a bust. The talent was very obviously there, but his size was a question mark among other things.

Lundqvist, we knew, would either adjust to the NHL/North American game and be a starting goaltender, or he would be a career minor pro guy. Again, skill was very obviously there.

It's a different tier of prospect. I still have doubts about Callahan's skill level, despite his performance thus far. He's skilled, but is he NHL skilled? Time will tell.

Closed Thread