HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery situation

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1600
I highly doubt the Rangers are going to recall him, especially when Sather knows there are teams interested in trading for him.

02-24-2012, 05:30 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What we actually owe him is irrelevant to our ownership. Jim Dolan has no reservations with paying buyout cash or money for guys to rot in Hartford. He counts nothing against the cap now, whereas he'd count about a million against the cap if he's claimed on reentry.

If this is done, it's as a favor to Avery. It doesn't make sense any other way.
Only mentioned the money part because the user I quoted seemed to think that bringing him up would trigger his salary to be earned.

He doesn't count about a million against the cap, his cap hit of 1.5 million would be pro-rated..

Old
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I highly doubt the Rangers are going to recall him, especially when Sather knows there are teams interested in trading for him.
He needs to clear re-entry waivers for a team to put him on their NHL roster.

If you're trading for Avery, you are going to make the Rangers call him up first and not risk losing assets and not even get the player.

Hence, there's really no reason to trade for him since you can just claim him on re-entry..

Old
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
The 300k is completely irrelevant. You have over 7 million in space and any trade for someone near that cap hit (i.e. Nash) will have salary (i.e. Dubinsky) going the other way anyways. The Rangers will finish the season with unused cap space no matter what happens these next few days.

At this point, Avery in the AHL or Avery on another team is the same exact thing for the Rangers.

If they can gain good favor with another GM/team for free, why not?
Oh please!!! Avery was an ******* in CT. The team tanked when he joined them and started winning when he became a healthy scratch.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

rumored the Kings want him?

Not sure they have the cap space left to add Avery. It sure would make that an interesting team.

02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Kane One

Quote:

If you're trading for Avery, you are going to make the Rangers call him up first and not risk losing assets and not even get the player.

Hence, there's really no reason to trade for him since you can just claim him on re-entry..
I don't think you understand. Can you give one logical reason why the Rangers should risk putting him on re-entry waivers?

Old
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Sather has a soft spot for Avery. Not saying he'd give him away, but he would likely let him go off waivers if it got Sean another shot in the NHL...clears a bit of cap.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Only mentioned the money part because the user I quoted seemed to think that bringing him up would trigger his salary to be earned.

He doesn't count about a million against the cap, his cap hit of 1.5 million would be pro-rated..
His cap hit of 2M, of which we would be on the hook for half, would be pro-rated. Thus, he would cost us 280k the rest of the way assuming he was claimed with 23 games remaining. In the scheme of things it's irrelevant. Guess they are letting him have a shot somewhere else.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:35 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
I don't think you understand. Can you give one logical reason why the Rangers should risk putting him on re-entry waivers?
Scenario 1: Rangers put him on re-entry
1) He's claimed, Rangers take on his cap hit
2) Rangers finish season with leftover cap hit regardless of other moves
3) Did favor for GM X, improving team relations and got rid of a headache in Hartford

Scenario 2: Rangers don't put him on re-entry
1) Rangers finish season with leftover cap hit regardless of other moves

So end of the day, Rangers finish season with leftover cap hit regardless of other moves.

So.. why not? There is some small benefit as to helping out another team, especially one in the WC ala Calgary or San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Oh please!!! Avery was an ******* in CT. The team tanked when he joined them and started winning when he became a healthy scratch.
Huh? I don't get this response, maybe you intended to quote someone else? I didn't really say anything about Avery's play or Hartford's success with or without him..

Old
JoeRangers

Quote:

If he's claimed on reentry are the Rangers only on the hook for Half of that salary now? I know Dallas pays half because the Rangers claimed him on reentry and im just curious if its the same way now. If thats the case his cap hit for the remainder of the season if probably next to nothing. Just some quick math if this is the case his cap hit for the rest of the season is 225k

Old
Kane One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Sather has a soft spot for Avery. Not saying he'd give him away, but he would likely let him go off waivers if it got Sean another shot in the NHL...clears a bit of cap.
How would it clear a bit of cap? He's not costing us anything towards the cap right now..

Old
02-24-2012, 05:37 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
If he's claimed on reentry are the Rangers only on the hook for Half of that salary now? I know Dallas pays half because the Rangers claimed him on reentry and im just curious if its the same way now. If thats the case his cap hit for the remainder of the season if probably next to nothing. Just some quick math if this is the case his cap hit for the rest of the season is 225k
There was some talk about this last time around and no-one is really sure what happens because the CBA is unclear. Is Dallas off the hook? Are the Rangers off the hook? Does Dallas pay 1/2, the Rangers 1/4 and Team X 1/4?

I think the latest I heard on it was that the Rangers and the new team would pay the 1/2 each.. which if correct would be yea, 225k. If its the 1/4, its even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
His cap hit of 2M, of which we would be on the hook for half, would be pro-rated. Thus, we would cost 280k the rest of the way assuming he was claimed with 23 games remaining. In the scheme of things it's irrelevant. Guess they are letting him have a shot somewhere else.
Yep, that's what I've been saying.

Its irrelevant to the Rangers. This helps Avery and another team who may return the favor one day.

EDIT: Oh, right, his full cap hit is 3.8 million. Rangers on the hook for 1.9.

I'm not sure what happens if he's claimed on re-entry again, as I explained above. So the wasted cap hit would be 225k to 500k. Non-issue regardless.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Assets? The Rangers aren't interested in assets for Avery. Send your bad contracts(AHL players on NHL contracts) to the Rangers. Calgary has players with NHL contracts in the AHL. The Flames have $2.3M in cap space. Let them take the risk.

Quote:
Sources have told The Post general manager Glen Sather rejected that request, instead offering to trade Avery in a minor-league deal under which the Rangers would take back additional dollars but the responsibility for placing Avery on re-entry would then pass to the acquiring club that would then bear the burden of carrying dead salary-cap space upon a claim.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1nLEPaM5j

Old
02-24-2012, 05:40 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Assets? The Rangers aren't interested in assets for Avery. Send your bad contracts(AHL players on NHL contracts) to the Rangers. Calgary has players with NHL contracts in the AHL. The Flames have $2.3M in cap space. Let them take the risk.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1nLEPaM5j
There's no risk..

His contract is up end of the season.

If it wasn't, then there's no way the Rangers risk it.

EDIT: That article is from slightly earlier in the season where Avery's cap hit would waste more of the Ranger's cap and preclude them from making deals perhaps. Now, its a non-issue with Avery's share of the cap and any player's share of the cap has drastically gone down.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Huh? I don't get this response, maybe you intended to quote someone else? I didn't really say anything about Avery's play or Hartford's success with or without him..
What don't you get? What is your exact purpose here?

Avery has been a problem. Why reward him?

Old
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Avery has been a problem. Why reward him?
There's no negative effect of "rewarding" Avery. Its not going to make the Rangers any less of an attraction to UFAs, give them any less pull in trades or make their team worse.

As I've said, there is a slight benefit to helping out a team in the Western Conference (i.e. one that you will not have to face in the playoffs and if you do, you're in the SCF so who cares) going forward.

If he's been a problem, why not get rid of him? He doesn't need to be put in timeout..

Old
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

it probably wouldnt be the worst thing to "help out" henrik lundvist and brad richards buddy if it doesnt really hurt the rangers all that much.

keep the big guys happy.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
There's no negative effect of "rewarding" Avery. Its not going to make the Rangers any less of an attraction to UFAs, give them any less pull in trades or make their team worse.

As I've said, there is a slight benefit to helping out a team in the Western Conference (i.e. one that you will not have to face in the playoffs and if you do, you're in the SCF so who cares) going forward.

If he's been a problem, why not get rid of him? He doesn't need to be put in timeout..
I guess the only thing I would say is to wait until the trade deadline has passed so we know exactly how much cap room remains before we call him up. Besides that, if he's not playing here let him go somewhere else.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
How would it clear a bit of cap? He's not costing us anything towards the cap right now..
He's on the cap right now... here or there he's still on the cap.

If they recall him and a team grabs him we will be on the hook for some of his cap still.... pretty late in the season though.... not sure how much would still stick.

A Trade would always be better for the numbers, but I suspect Sather might cave in the 11th hour if it gave Sean another shot somewhere else... Sather is a good guy at heart , super loyal to his friends and obviously a fan of Sean Avery.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
I guess the only thing I would say is to wait until the trade deadline has passed so we know exactly how much cap room remains before we call him up. Besides that, if he's not playing here let him go somewhere else.
Teams cannot acquire players after the deadline through any means and play them in the playoffs..

So you can't wait until after the deadline.

Its really unlikely you're going to use the full space you have.

Capgeek has it at $7 million. Let's say you get Nash and send out Dubinsky. That's only a $3.5 million increase in cap hit so you'd have another $3.5 million to spend.

250k ain't gonna matter.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Teams cannot acquire players after the deadline through any means and play them in the playoffs..

So you can't wait until after the deadline.

Its really unlikely you're going to use the full space you have.

Capgeek has it at $7 million. Let's say you get Nash and send out Dubinsky. That's only a $3.5 million increase in cap hit so you'd have another $3.5 million to spend.

250k ain't gonna matter.
oh, my bad. i thought someone said earlier in the thread that the deadline is March 1...somehow I misread Monday at 3pm for March 1. lol time to call it a week.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
He's on the cap right now... here or there he's still on the cap.

If they recall him and a team grabs him we will be on the hook for some of his cap still.... pretty late in the season though.... not sure how much would still stick.

A Trade would always be better for the numbers, but I suspect Sather might cave in the 11th hour if it gave Sean another shot somewhere else...
Avery does not count towards the Rangers cap. Only players who signed 35+ contracts would count even if they are playing in the AHL.

Quote:
oh, my bad. i thought someone said earlier in the thread that the deadline is March 1.
They have it like that so you can't evade the trade deadline. Since otherwise, you can effectively trade players using the waiver system (though there's risk there).

The deadline to put him on re-entry is tomorrow because players put on over the weekend takes two days to clear. So he'd have to be claimed by noon Monday (deadline at 3).

Old
02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
They have it like that so you can't evade the trade deadline. Since otherwise, you can effectively trade players using the waiver system (though there's risk there).

The deadline to put him on re-entry is tomorrow because players put on over the weekend takes two days to clear. So he'd have to be claimed by noon Monday (deadline at 3).
Gotcha. Let him go then. Won't it be hilarious when one of our divisional rivals claims him and we get to play against him down the stretch and in the playoffs. The Garden fans will be cheering him every time he touches the puck.

Old
02-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Gotcha. Let him go then. Won't it be hilarious when one of our divisional rivals claims him and we get to play against him down the stretch and in the playoffs. The Garden fans will be cheering him every time he touches the puck.
I wouldn't.

Old
02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
eco's bones

I think it's Sather more than anything else. Glen likes Sean and Glen is loyal to people he likes. By the way I don't have a problem with this.

Closed Thread