HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Time for Stefan

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Time for Stefan

Let me now bring up the possibility of gettng Stefan out of Atlanta - and not for Comrie as Atlanta needs wingers more than centers - but maybe for Rita/Horcoff/pick.

If we did this then my forward lines would be:

Line 1A Smyth York Dvorak (our best 2-way veteran forwards)
Line 1B Torres Stefan Hemsky (young but this is our future top line)
Line 3 Moreau Reasoner Isbister (big very effective checking line)
Line 4 Chimera Stoll Pisani (good energy line)

If you could get Stefan for those players then you can trade Comrie/Laraque for a good dman/goalie package. I really dont think we need BG's ineffective size in the lineup anymore with Izzy, Torres and Stefan added.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:05 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
agree with you, and I think that that just might be enough to get Stefan out of Atlanta too.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:10 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'd be for it.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:19 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I'd be for it.
I'm not... as much as I have dogged Rita this year for his play, he is still a better player right now than Stefan is... nevermind adding an NHLer and a pick to the mix...

Old
11-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I'm not... as much as I have dogged Rita this year for his play, he is still a better player right now than Stefan is... nevermind adding an NHLer and a pick to the mix...
I should have been clearer - I think some mix of Rita/Horcoff/pick could get Stefan - not all of them because that's an overpay. As for Rita being better that a big assumption given that JR has played 3 NHL games and Stefan is in his 4th season (I do like Rita though).

Old
11-12-2003, 08:27 AM
copperaddict

I like the look of this,except I want to see them give Rita a fair shoot before giving up on him. He has way to much upside to give up on.The big centers seem to take a few years to get comfortable in the NHL.I've noticed Lowe has a habit of waiting to long hoping that things will turnaround on their own.Stefan is worth a shot, but I'm not sure about letting go of Rita just yet. If the Thrashers asked for Moreau would you still do it?

Old
11-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
I like the look of this,except I want to see them give Rita a fair shoot before giving up on him. He has way to much upside to give up on.The big centers seem to take a few years to get comfortable in the NHL.I've noticed Lowe has a habit of waiting to long hoping that things will turnaround on their own.Stefan is worth a shot, but I'm not sure about letting go of Rita just yet. If the Thrashers asked for Moreau would you still do it?
Maybe Chimera/Horcoff/pick? I don't know but I like Rita as well and hope we can keep him. I just think that he might be what it takes to get Stefan. The board has gone over and over the big center issue and there are very very few guys who fit the Oilers style/budget and are obtainable. Stefan is one of them so I am keen to aquire him.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:52 AM
FacelessButcher

I'd like to see if we could land our hands on one of Phoenix's big centers instead (Kolanos or Taffe). I feel were getting a little too soft(Stefan is soft but talented) need more hitters and grit, I thought Torres would be that kinda guy somewhat remeniscent of Grier but hes turned in to more of a goal scorer(not that there is anything wrong with that) and stole Isbister's job. We also need to consider moving Isbister if we can't fit him in our top 6 its a waste and he can not take a checking role and is to expensive for an energy guy, besides RPM should not be broken up they have been fantastic.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Walsher

I'm not a huge Stefan fan especially not in a Comrie deal where he is the key figure. For Horcoff + I would change my tune somewhat. A key to this deal is that Atlanta really wanted Horcoff at last years draft. Lowe wouldn't part with him and deals didn't get done. Now I know that Horcoff wasn't the main player of the proposed deals but he was the eventual stumbling block. I think this deal proposed here could help kill a couple birds with one stone. Get that talented centerman for the top unit and still have Comrie to deal for defensemen or goaltending if it comes to that.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
A key to this deal is that Atlanta really wanted Horcoff at last years draft. Lowe wouldn't part with him and deals didn't get done.
Never heard that - but in that case - Chimera and Horcoff for Stefan.

Works salary wise and we do quantity for quality for a change. Atlanta could use a big fast winger like Chimmer with Heatley down - and Horcoff can take Stefans slot. Both guys are VERY affordable as well. Maybe picks thrown in if necessary.

I'd like to keep Rita - but I would sacrifice him if that's what it took to get a bigger 2 way center with upside.

Old
11-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Never heard that - but in that case - Chimera and Horcoff for Stefan.

Works salary wise and we do quantity for quality for a change. Atlanta could use a big fast winger like Chimmer with Heatley down - and Horcoff can take Stefans slot. Both guys are VERY affordable as well. Maybe picks thrown in if necessary.

I'd like to keep Rita - but I would sacrifice him if that's what it took to get a bigger 2 way center with upside.
Stefan is hardly quality. He may have once been a first round pick, but giving up two players that will both either produce just as much or more than him this year is a waste.

Old
11-12-2003, 11:59 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Stefan is hardly quality. He may have once been a first round pick, but giving up two players that will both either produce just as much or more than him this year is a waste.
Did you mean that Horcoff & Chimera together will produce as much as Stefan will, or that EACH would produce as much? So far I wouldn't put money on Chimera, although Horcoff could.

Maybe it's the dreaded "change of scenery" thing to consider here, but that's why I wouldn't want to risk Comrie in a deal for Stefan, as it's a reasonably high risk thing that Stefan would work out.

Bart

Old
11-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Did you mean that Horcoff & Chimera together will produce as much as Stefan will, or that EACH would produce as much? So far I wouldn't put money on Chimera, although Horcoff could.

Maybe it's the dreaded "change of scenery" thing to consider here, but that's why I wouldn't want to risk Comrie in a deal for Stefan, as it's a reasonably high risk thing that Stefan would work out.

Bart
I meant each. Stefan will be a bust. Mark my words.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Another possibility would be to obtain Perrault from the Habs as a "rental". Aside from being a little pricy, he'd be a good fit.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Let me now bring up the possibility of gettng Stefan out of Atlanta - and not for Comrie as Atlanta needs wingers more than centers
Where do you get that Atlanta need wingers more than centers? That's an incorrect premise. The team has Aubin playing center because we're down to just three on the roster, Stefan, Robitaille and Santala. If that isn't thin, I don't know what is. No way he gets dealt unless another center comes back. And I don't mean to Edmonton, because I don't think you're going to see a deal get done there. I mean any team.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:59 PM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Why not:

Horcoff + 2nd Round Pick

for

Stefan

___

Then we can sign Ronning for about $1 Million

___

Should solve a lot of problems we currently have.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:00 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Let me now bring up the possibility of gettng Stefan out of Atlanta - and not for Comrie as Atlanta needs wingers more than centers - but maybe for Rita/Horcoff/pick.

If we did this then my forward lines would be:

Line 1A Smyth York Dvorak (our best 2-way veteran forwards)
Line 1B Torres Stefan Hemsky (young but this is our future top line)
Line 3 Moreau Reasoner Isbister (big very effective checking line)
Line 4 Chimera Stoll Pisani (good energy line)

If you could get Stefan for those players then you can trade Comrie/Laraque for a good dman/goalie package. I really dont think we need BG's ineffective size in the lineup anymore with Izzy, Torres and Stefan added.
I think you could do better than Patrick Stefan though. Go after a Viktor Kozlov, a Mark Parrish, a Tim Connolly (YES, ANOTHER PLUG), a Mike Fisher, Marco Sturm, etc.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Another possibility would be to obtain Perrault from the Habs as a "rental". Aside from being a little pricy, he'd be a good fit.
if the habs eat some salary this could be a good fit. best faceoff man in the league, accurate shot (paired with hemsky), and not completely irresponsible defensively.

maybe a bit slow? but hey, being the slow trailer after hemsky gains the zone just means he'd be in good scoring position.

i like this idea.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:12 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'd be for getting him, but I think that the Habs would def. have to eat a healthy chunk of his salary. He would be a good fit for our top six though i do agree.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:18 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I'd be for getting him, but I think that the Habs would def. have to eat a healthy chunk of his salary. He would be a good fit for our top six though i do agree.
actually, i just did some research. the habs wouldn't need to eat anything as perreault only makes 2.8 million.

the problem is that he is a 10+ year vet. unless the oilers could get him to agree to an extension prior to the trade they could be looking at losing him in the offseason.

i wonder how much he will be looking for in an extension? or how long his current contract is slated to last? or if he'd agree to the trade?

Old
11-12-2003, 03:41 PM
GorillazXL

Chimera/Horcoff + 3rd round pick sounds fair for Stefan. I think Atlanta might be looking for a centre who has some offense (horcoff) but can also play a good defensive role once Savard gets back in the lineup. Chimera (other then his play of late) might raise some interest, because of his speed, grit and potential to put the puck in the net. But either player we would have to include a pick...I wouldn't do anything more then a second rounder though, third seems very reasonable.

GXL

Closed Thread