HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash Rumors Part VI: Carter to LA; Nash next to move?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Talking about Nash...
Quote:
The Rangers aren't in it as of now...but enough people out there feel they will try and make an offer at some point...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...t-Nash/1/42528

It is from Eklund, so take it with a grain of salt...we shall see what happens. Personally I think he would be a great player, but his contract left and cost per year is just too much for where the rangers are right now, they either need someone similar that costs less or a rental player because it could hurt the rangers in the long term

Old
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
But he hasn't. That's the point. Dubinsky doesn't need a "fire lit under his ass." His effort has been impeccable. His issue is in his head right now. I've seen it happen with athletes in every sport. They go on a slump, and the longer that slump goes on , the tougher it is to break. It often lasts until the end of that season, as the player starts avoiding the things that highlight the problem (ie- why Dubi is throwing himself into defense, PKing and playmaking, and avoiding taking shots) out of a desire to keep his personal slump from hurting the team. Only on rare occasions (most obvious example I can think of is former Yankee Chuck Knoblauch) does the problem go beyond the one season.

If it isn't the point, then why did you make multiple posts where that was the sole argument? You only say it isn't the point now, because your point wasn't valid. The above quote ALSO "isn't the point" for that matter. Everything you said about Dubinsky can be applied equally to Callahan, Anisimov and Staal. Suggest trading them (well, Cally and Staal) for Nash, and you're liable to get your face ripped off.

It isn't about whether Nash is better than Dubinsky (anyone who has seen both play that doesn't agree that Nash is the better player is a fool). It isn't about Dubinsky being in a slump (Nash and half the other players this board drools over are ALSO slumping hard this year). To me, it's about three things-- Which player gives you more for his contract (I'd take Dubi at 4 million over Nash at 8, taking into account the cap situation, our RFAs and defense), which player fits the team's identity better (pretty obvious), and (the key point, to me) whether or not you think this team will be a contender for the next few years.

People clamoring for this trade seem to think it's an all or nothing year. I came into this season expecting the team to be good (3rd to 5th place in the East) but not as good as they've been. I figured that the team would be at its best in 12/13 and 13/14, when the top prospects were on the roster (Erixon, Kreider, McI, Miller) and the current young players were "young veterans" (MDZ, McD, Hagelin, Step). Add those two groups to the core (Cally, Staal, Dubi, Girardi, AA and Hank--all of whom would be in their primes) and a couple of strategic pickups (Gabby, Richards and maybe one more, cap permitting, in the summer of 2012) and you've got a team that would threaten for the cup for a few years running. I want the team to stick with what they've got, see where it takes them, and add from there, and the LAST thing I want the team to do is trade away parts of the core that have a history of stepping up their games in the playoffs.

I don't care about numbers. I care about what I see when I watch him play (and I've seen about 50 CBJ games over the last 3 and a half seasons). I also very much disagree with this notion that's suddenly become all the rage that Nash has had no help. Vyborny, Zherdev, Umberger, Carter, Vermette--ALL of those guys are solid, top 6 players. Some (Vyborny and Carter) are/were better than most of the guys we've got on this roster. Columbus loses because their defense and goaltending is atrocious--Not because they have AHL forwards in the top 6.

Extra scoring would be nice, but it's not worth what Nash will cost in assets and cap. THIS team, as currently constructed, has only lost 4 out of any 7 games twice (I think--I'm working on memory) all season (and one of those times was that awful first month). It's a need. It should be addressed if it can be done cheaply (ie- 1st round pick and middling prospect). If not, this group of players has earned the right to see if they can do what they've done all season on their way to a Stanley Cup. If they can't. then it's not the end of the world. They can add to what they have for free over the summer, AND add pieces like Kreider and Erixon (both of whom will help scoring).

I just think this group has earned the right to do that. Sorry for the novel, I just realized how long this post was, haha.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Great post man.

Old
02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Plan B is called "time." None of us thought the Rangers would be competing for a Cup this season. The fact that they are winning as much as they are is a good thing, but it shouldn't upset the overall plan. As soon as next season, this team can add Kreider, Erixon and maybe a FA pickup to THIS team. Being patient can (and usually does) pay off more than being rash.
I'll have to say it again, even though I said it before....

You're saying this team is going to get better with two UNPROVEN, (one of which has NEVER even stepped on NHL ice) player's. You're saying two ROOKIES are the key to the winning a cup, not this year, but next. Or maybe you're talking 3 - 4 years down the road ? Are we to expect Hank, Gabby, Richards are all going to be healthy and still performing as they currently are 3 - 4 years from now ?

I think it's a stretch, A REAL STRETCH to think C.K. even makes the roster to start next season, yet there are those who think he's Crosby v2.0 and will lead us to a Cup. I love the optimistic thinking, but it's pretty unrealistic, good heavens.

I (let me stress "I") think it's obvious this team is built to win NOW (obviously) and remain competetive as it's currently constructed.. MINUS ANOTHER LEGIT WINGER, and to gamble that based soley on the opitimistic grandure of a couple of rookies, or a rookie, a kid, is insane!! just crazy talk when I hear/see it... "I" have NO IDEA what C.K. will bring to the table of this organization next year, or future years and if you think you do, I'd like some Lotto number's while you're at it...

Old
02-24-2012, 06:59 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post

You're saying this team is going to get better with two UNPROVEN, (one of which has NEVER even stepped on NHL ice) player's. You're saying two ROOKIES are the key to the winning a cup, not this year, but next. Or maybe you're talking 3 - 4 years down the road ? Are we to expect Hank, Gabby, Richards are all going to be healthy and still performing as they currently are 3 - 4 years from now ?

I think it's a stretch, A REAL STRETCH to think C.K. even makes the roster to start next season, yet there are those who think he's Crosby v2.0 and will lead us to a Cup. I love the optimistic thinking, but it's pretty unrealistic, good heavens.

I (let me stress "I") think it's obvious this team is built to win NOW (obviously) and remain competetive as it's currently constructed.. MINUS ANOTHER LEGIT WINGER, and to gamble that based soley on the opitimistic grandure of a couple of rookies, or a rookie, a kid, is insane!! just crazy talk when I hear/see it... "I" have NO IDEA what C.K. will bring to the table of this organization next year, or future years and if you think you do, I'd like some Lotto number's while you're at it...
Well said.

Old
02-24-2012, 06:59 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

We go from saying this team is a projected 6th seed in the offseason to now claiming we are in win now mode and must mortage cap space for an overpaid player?

Makes no sense.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
This team is not built to win NOW. Not to say they can't win now, but this team is built with young talent that should be given the opportunity to keep improving.

Shouting that the team needs to sacrifice assets (and cap space) NOW is the kind of thinking that USED to permeate this franchise. It's refreshing that our GM is no longer thinking that way.

Let's not go backward.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
smoneil

Quote:

You clearly spent more time working on your hyperbole than you did reading my post. I'm not shocked. The pro-Nash folks are big on taking reasoned arguments and responding with "So YOU SAY that" (insert nonsense that the guy never even tried to say).

Who is talking about three to four years from now!? I'm talking about next year and the year after.

Also, please point me to anything I've said that even implies that I think Kreider and Erixon are keys to winning the Cup. I said they would help with scoring. I said they, in addition to a FA addition and added experience for McD, MDZ, Hagelin etc etc would make the 12/13 and 13/14 teams better.

This team is built to win now? I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'd love to see the team win this season, but every one of your arguments could be applied to your own statement. Outside of Staal and Girardi, our defense has a total of FIVE playoff games between them. Trade Dubinsky for Nash, and our top 6 isn't overly tested in the post-season either (really, Richards and Gaborik would be the only ones with significant games).

Let this team take it however far they can take it this year. When they've done that, THEN you can ADD top prospects, FA and such to a more experienced, post-season battle-tested roster. So no, I do not think that those two rookies are the key to a Cup. I don't think there is any such thing as a "key" to a Stanley Cup (something the pro-Nash folks seem to foolishly believe). I think they would be two small pieces of a mix of players--a mix of players I believe will be better-suited for a playoff run in the next two seasons than they will be this year (though again, I'd be thrilled if they did it this year as well).

Old
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
Talking about Nash...

It is from Eklund, so take it with a grain of salt...we shall see what happens. Personally I think he would be a great player, but his contract left and cost per year is just too much for where the rangers are right now, they either need someone similar that costs less or a rental player because it could hurt the rangers in the long term
Take it with a few trucks of salt because it goes against every single thing said by every single other person with far, far, far, far, far, far more connections than him.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This team is not built to win NOW. Not to say they can't win now, but this team is built with young talent that should be given the opportunity to keep improving.

Shouting that the team needs to sacrifice assets (and cap space) NOW is the kind of thinking that USED to permeate this franchise. It's refreshing that our GM is no longer thinking that way.

Let's not go backward.

Are you serious? Have you been watching? Players are in their prime in the their late twenties, our key players are in their prime !!!!!! Lundqvist, Gaborik, Richards... Lundqvist is on top of his game, do you think he's going to keep having season's like the one he's currently having? Come on, these guy's are in their prime, why do you think we're sitting atop the eastern conference? Not built to win now?? I'm not talking about shipping C.K. off, or Miller, or Stepan for Nash...But to say the Rangers are going to get BETTER than they currently are is nothing more then speculation...

Sure player's like Stepan and Hagelin might (will) improve, but at the same time what's not to say Lundqvist game starts to decline, Gabby's game, Callahan's game, Cally is balls out 60min a game, it takes it's toll over time...same can be said for Lundqvist.... What about injuries (knock on wood) To think this isn't our time is ridiculous, when was the last time the Rangers had a regular season like the one they're currently having 1947?

I get the idea, build from within, hold onto the youth, on and on and on... But if including an Erixon type player in a trade get's me a legit 1st line skilled forward, I do it...I think Sather has alot of you folks psychologically traumatized...

Old
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Gabotrick

Quote:

Seguin and Marchand were both rookies when Boston won the cup, and both of them were very important during the run, by scoring goals and making plays, so I beg to differ that rookies could be a huge difference maker in our run then say having a player like prust in the position kreider could be in.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Leetch66

Just add one guy...will cost us AA and maybe a 1st or 2nd round pick and that guy is Semin . Think about it...I know he is hated ...but he needs a strong playoff to garner a huge contract next season. He can rifle the puck...we have the guys that can play with him and if we did luck out and win a Cup this year then the chance of winning back to back are very slim these days . Keep in mind that we have no interest in resigning him after the playoffs ...strictly a rental !

We would then use next season2012-13 to get over the hangover and then resign all our RFA'a for 2013-14 and have worked Kreider-Miller-Erixon and McIlrath into our lineup without ANY cap problems .

Of course by adding those guys to our already great roster we have made our team younger and faster and hungrier as we start on a 3 year cup run seriously hard because we will be stacked with a great crew of kids and vets . Along the way we add Jordan Staal if we have the cap money !

Crazy ?...Yes and no . Somebody could ride Semin a long way in the playoffs if he gets hot and he ABSOLUTELY needs a big playoff performance !!! Maybe the Penguins get him...or the Bruins...I'm sure both are looking hard .

Maybe Semin is Plan B ?

Old
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's trade Dubinsky, Kreider and a 1st for this Parenteau guy, he has way more points than Steve Nash

Old
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabotrick View Post
Seguin and Marchand were both rookies when Boston won the cup, and both of them were very important during the run, by scoring goals and making plays, so I beg to differ that rookies could be a huge difference maker in our run then say having a player like prust in the position kreider could be in.
Yeah, that actually happened, thus your point is taken. How does that apply to what I said? My whole rant was based on SPECULATION, not historical fact...

So I guess what you're saying is it's going to happen with C.K. and (insert name here) because Seguin and Marchand did it in Boston? I think that just reiterates the whole point I was making...

Old
02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Are you serious? Have you been watching? Players are in their prime in the their late twenties, our key players are in their prime !!!!!! Lundqvist, Gaborik, Richards... Lundqvist is on top of his game, do you think he's going to keep having season's like the one he's currently having? Come on, these guy's are in their prime, why do you think we're sitting atop the eastern conference? Not built to win now?? I'm not talking about shipping C.K. off, or Miller, or Stepan for Nash...But to say the Rangers are going to get BETTER than they currently are is nothing more then speculation...

Sure player's like Stepan and Hagelin might (will) improve, but at the same time what's not to say Lundqvist game starts to decline, Gabby's game, Callahan's game, Cally is balls out 60min a game, it takes it's toll over time...same can be said for Lundqvist.... What about injuries (knock on wood) To think this isn't our time is ridiculous, when was the last time the Rangers had a regular season like the one they're currently having 1947?

I get the idea, build from within, hold onto the youth, on and on and on... But if including an Erixon type player in a trade get's me a legit 1st line skilled forward, I do it...I think Sather has alot of you folks psychologically traumatized...
I'm just going to say I completely disagree with just about everything you said, particularly the implication that the team needs to win now because Callahan will be worse next year because he plays hard every night. That's just weird.

And I am not specifally saying Erixon cannot be included in any trade, that's a straw man argument you're setting up.

Something tells me you are a LOT younger than me...and I'm not even old lol. I just get that feeling...

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 02-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old
02-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Gabotrick

Quote:
Yeah, that actually happened, thus your point is taken. How does that apply to what I said? My whole rant was based on SPECULATION, not historical fact...

So I guess what you're saying is it's going to happen with C.K. and (insert name here) because Seguin and Marchand did it in Boston? I think that just reiterates the whole point I was making...
I'm saying it could be a very good possibility because both seguin and kreider are very talent players and maybe some one like Thomas or Miller could be a very good compliment in our lines, its a possibility that you shouldn't dispel immediately.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
Talking about Nash...

Why post it then? He hasn't been right with a single thing in years.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Why post it then? He hasn't been right with a single thing in years.
Aside from breaking the Carter/Richards trades this summer, you're right.

Eklund also kinda has a thing against the Rangers I think, he's always spreading bogus info in regards to NY probably because he is a Flyers homer.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Jumbo*

So did we get Nash, Brown and Getzlav yet? What is the holdup on these 3 players!?

Old
02-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'm just going to say I completely disagree with just about everything you said, particularly the implication that the team needs to win now because Callahan plays hard every night. That's just weird.

And I am not specifally saying Erixon cannot be included in any trade, that's a straw man argument you're setting up.

Something tells me you are a LOT younger than me...and I'm not even old lol. I just get that feeling...
Thus, the purpose of a forum, a venue in which one get's a chance to express their feelings pertaining to a particular topic. Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone's opinion, just may not agree with it.....I just don't agree with predictions based on what amount's to wishful thinking, I'm all for being open minded optimistic (whatever), but I refuse to pencil guy's into a lineup when they've yet to compete for a roster spot...

Old
02-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
Let's trade Dubinsky, Kreider and a 1st for this Parenteau guy, he has way more points than Steve Nash
HAHAH and they just called him Steve on the intermission report... they must read HF

Old
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Jumbo*

Why does MSG keep calling RICK Nash, "Steve" Nash?

Embarrassing.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:56 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
You need to offer up more than that. Parenteau plays for a crap team. He's all alone over there. He'd score 100+ points EASY if he ever played for a team like the Rangers.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Thus, the purpose of a forum, a venue in which one get's a chance to express their feelings pertaining to a particular topic. Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone's opinion, just may not agree with it.....I just don't agree with predictions based on what amount's to wishful thinking, I'm all for being open minded optimistic (whatever), but I refuse to pencil guy's into a lineup when they've yet to compete for a roster spot...
Yet you are perfectly willing to accept that a team is ready to roll to a Cup this year, even though 80% of the defense and 60% of the top 6 have no idea what it's like to really play in the post-season? Even if you wanted to state with certainty that ALL of Erixon, Kreider, Miller, Thomas, McI etc were going to bust--even if you could look into the future and guarantee that--this team would still be in a better position to make runs at the Cup next year and the year after than they are right now (due to the simple fact that VERY few teams win the Cup with a roster that doesn't have some sense of what it takes to get there). These kids need to know what's required to do that, and a deep run this season (win or lose) will only prepare them better for next year.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:04 PM
pld459666

it's amazing that most legit news sources have the Rangers involved in the Nash talks, yet every time I read something from Ek-tool, he mentions nothing or what he stated today, the Rangers aren';t in it.

Biased media types like this tool-bag have no credibility

Old
02-24-2012, 08:07 PM
pjcnyr22

Ive been reading this forum for years and almost never post. but i have to say that this team, this year, is playing great. but honestly, they ARE built for the future. this team left alone will be better next year and the year after. its hard to believe that some people dont see that. and if we get lucky and sign Parise in the offseason we are even better. and if we dont thats fine. Im 47 and i havent seen this team ever have a farm system like they do now. they have to stay the course that got them here. i know people will say you have to give up something to get something in return, thats fine. do it next year.

Closed Thread