HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trent Whitfield called up

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2006, 05:25 AM
KenHiczkakenbalz

vCash: 500
Trent Whitfield called up

I saw this tidbit (on the Caps board) and thought, since there's nothing here about it (that I can easily find), it'd be worth putting up. I don't know if you all have had a chance to see him, but "great work ethic" isn't just the company line... the dude rocks, and even if he only put up nine goals in four seasons with the Caps (he plays a more defensive game), he was still a bit of a fan favorite (or maybe I'm just extrapolating because he was a personal favorite -- I'm not sure). It was kind of sad seeing him go. Best of luck:

Veteran center Trent Whitfield was promoted to the Blues from Peoria late Monday and could make his Blues debut tonight in Dallas.

Whitfield, 28, has nine goals and 20 points in 146 NHL games with the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers.

"He's got a great work ethic," Kitchen said. "He's tenacious on the puck, he doesn't give up, so we thought it would be a good fit."

Signed as a free-agent last summer, he had 12 goals and 37 points in 31 games with Peoria.

(no source given, but I seriously doubt it's fake)

Old
01-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Irish Blues

Whitfield has already had his Blues debut - he played in 2 games in October.

The bigger question I have: I thought we got rid of Aaron Downey because we were going to give more playing time to the kids. If that's the case, then why Whitfield?

01-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Kegger

The source is the Belleville News Democrat

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellev...s/13706242.htm

Old
01-25-2006, 07:29 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Whitfield has already had his Blues debut - he played in 2 games in October.

The bigger question I have: I thought we got rid of Aaron Downey because we were going to give more playing time to the kids. If that's the case, then why Whitfield?

Whitfield's only 28. It's not like we're talking about a Steve Martins or Pascal Rheaume here.

At the begining of the year I thought Whitfield might share time with RJ as the 4th line center. IF we're intent on dealing Weight and Sillinger Whtfield would be an obvious choice to step in on the 4th line if RJ moves up the ladder. I'd have thought McClement was the heir aparent to Sillinger on the 3rd line, but nobody can argue that RJ's earned his keep this season.

Old
01-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Good to hear he gets a chance. Hopefully it's a real one this time around, not only another 2 games.

Old
01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
blueshead

This is the guy we are going to play so we can scratch Gamache. We had to have someone to take that spot.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:32 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead
This is the guy we are going to play so we can scratch Gamache. We had to have someone to take that spot.
Exactly!!!!

Let bench Kitchen, he hasn't been performing that well of late.

Old
01-25-2006, 05:13 PM
purple_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16
Exactly!!!!

Let bench Kitchen, he hasn't been performing that well of late.

Ya, like since around mid-September. He is lucky the management (ownership issues) has been in such a turmoil, or he would have been fired months ago....

Old
01-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Irish Blues

If Gamache could skate better, he'd be a sure-fire top-6 player. Period. That's the only thing holding him back; he's got the smarts, he's got the skills - he just doesn't have the wheels. It's not too late for him to at least get better in that area, but as it stands right now that's the difference between him being 40-40-80 (which IMO he could easily be if he was at least a decent skater) and a 15-15-30 player (which is his upside at the moment). The question is whether he's going to put forth the committment necessary to get better.

Also - apparently he also got into it with Kitchen over playing time, and got banished to the press box ... so that explains why he's been little-used or misused.

Old
01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
CuSa_1

Well Whitfield scratched for tonight's contest.

Closed Thread