HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards, was he worth it all?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
  #26
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
i think he will get better at least im hopeful he will this season and playoffs...but at the currrent moment he is Drury 2.0

Maineice11 is online now  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
  #27
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
This is a bad excuse for his performance thus far. Gaborik and Callahan both have more goals then Eriksson, neither of them are doing it because of Richards.

I guess Hagelin trusts his linemates, his twice as effective every single shift then Richards.
Hagelin is "twice as effective" because he does other things other than offense. If Richards isn't providing offense, he has no real purpose. Hence he needs an actual winger who can score. Not garbage goal guys like Callahan and Hagelin.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
  #28
UlfNilsson
Registered User
 
UlfNilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He's not "setting anything up" because why bother? Even if he did, his wingers couldn't finish. Brad is trying to do everything he can to score. That includes not passing the puck and trying to do it himself. It's painfully obvious for anyone who's ever played hockey. If you can't trust your linemates, you try to do far too much yourself.
Excuses.... Great players make players around them better. They tried him with a bonafide goal scorer - Gaborik. No dice. He's a good player, but a bit over-rated and definitely not worth the cap space he eats up.

UlfNilsson is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
  #29
Lundqvist 30 NY
Registered User
 
Lundqvist 30 NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
A revolving door at LW which has included a rookie(who has played well, but not fully there yet), a struggling Dubinsky. Then being on a line with Rupp and Mitchell. And a line with Prust and Fedetenko. A struggling powerplay which doesn't move. They should take some notes from the Isles PP. They move around and create chances. Give him someone who knows how to get to the scoring area. And wait until the end of the playoffs at least.

Lundqvist 30 NY is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:08 PM
  #30
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He's not "setting anything up" because why bother? Even if he did, his wingers couldn't finish. Brad is trying to do everything he can to score. That includes not passing the puck and trying to do it himself. It's painfully obvious for anyone who's ever played hockey. If you can't trust your linemates, you try to do far too much yourself.
The Rangers, for all their scoring woes, are on pace to score the exact same number of goals as Dallas did last season.

He's not simply shooting more, he's incapable of doing anything productive most shifts.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
  #31
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlfNilsson View Post
Excuses.... Great players make players around them better. They tried him with a bonafide goal scorer - Gaborik. No dice. He's a good player, but a bit over-rated and definitely not worth the cap space he eats up.
...except Richards has never been a guy that will suddenly make people insane around him. Anyone should have known that. He was a guy you bring in when you have a scorer you need setting up. He's not a Crosby or a Malkin. Did you honestly think he was? If then, I've got some volcano insurance to sell you.

He's being misused with the players he's paired with. He needs a sniper next to him. End of story.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
  #32
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
The Rangers, for all their scoring woes, are on pace to score the exact same number of goals as Dallas did last season.

He's not simply shooting more, he's incapable of doing anything productive most shifts.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
  #33
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hagelin is "twice as effective" because he does other things other than offense. If Richards isn't providing offense, he has no real purpose. Hence he needs an actual winger who can score. Not garbage goal guys like Callahan and Hagelin.
I should have specified, Hagelin is twice as effective offensively. The defensive game he brings is just gravy.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
  #34
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He's not "setting anything up" because why bother? Even if he did, his wingers couldn't finish. Brad is trying to do everything he can to score. That includes not passing the puck and trying to do it himself. It's painfully obvious for anyone who's ever played hockey. If you can't trust your linemates, you try to do far too much yourself.
He saw the Rangers roster when he signed the dotted line. It was Gaborik and a bunch of nobodies or youngsters. Gaborik is low maintenance...he can score with anybody. Richards has been given every winger on the team and no dice.

And I don't buy into the theory that the linemates make the playmaker. It's usually the other way around. We saw a 58-year-old Gretzky almost make Sundstrom a 30-goal scorer, Thornton make Cheechoo a 50-goal scorer and Mario made Rob Brown hit 100 points.

I agree with you 100 percent on line chemistry, but I think since he's in a leadership role and a senior guy on the team , he needs to do more to help the team win, and that includes setting up and creating plays.

Come on, Jon....10 Even Strength assists in almost 60 games is friggin pathetic for a guy with his resume.

GWOW is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:12 PM
  #35
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Well you've got me sold.

I'm not making claims on the entire Richards signing, but thus far he's been horrible.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:12 PM
  #36
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's going to be hilarious once Brad gets going to see the same people in here killing him to be all over the guy and praising him left and right. Dear Lord.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
  #37
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Well you've got me sold.

I'm not making claims on the entire Richards signing, but thus far he's been horrible.
Oh, ********. He's been mediocre. Dubinsky is someone who's been horrible this year. He's outscoring boy wonder Stepan. Only has 4 less assists playing with plugs instead of Gaborik.

So spare me.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
  #38
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Ask me after the playoffs are over.

I'm still holding my word that he is going to lead this team in points in the playoffs.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:14 PM
  #39
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Well you've got me sold.

I'm not making claims on the entire Richards signing, but thus far he's been horrible.
You have to acknowledge the big goals he's scored and how he's drawn attention away from Gaborik's line.

Still, it is truly amazing that the Rangers are comfortably the best team in east with 23 games left and a career-worst season from a guy we thought would light it up.

Something tells me Kreider joins this team for the playoffs.

GWOW is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:14 PM
  #40
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
He saw the Rangers roster when he signed the dotted line. It was Gaborik and a bunch of nobodies or youngsters. Gaborik is low maintenance...he can score with anybody. Richards has been given every winger on the team and no dice.

And I don't buy into the theory that the linemates make the playmaker. It's usually the other way around. We saw a 58-year-old Gretzky almost make Sundstrom a 30-goal scorer, Thornton make Cheechoo a 50-goal scorer and Mario made Rob Brown hit 100 points.

I agree with you 100 percent on line chemistry, but I think since he's in a leadership role and a senior guy on the team , he needs to do more to help the team win, and that includes setting up and creating plays.

Come on, Jon....10 Even Strength assists in almost 60 games is friggin pathetic for a guy with his resume.
It's pathetic for anyone calling them self a top 9 hockey player. A number of players have come to the Rangers recently with way ****tier lineups and have not had as much of a problem passing.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
  #41
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
It's pathetic for anyone calling them self a top 9 hockey player. A number of players have come to the Rangers recently with way ****tier lineups and have not had as much of a problem passing.
...yet he's still outproducing our 1st line center. And this is with a ton of games with 4th liners as his wingers. Give me a break, CH10.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
  #42
UlfNilsson
Registered User
 
UlfNilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
He has regressed since joining the Rangers, getting more disappointing each day. The tape to tape passes are far and few between as of late. Everyone is rooting for him and would be thrilled if he performed up to par, but the plain truth is that he isn't. But us fans have another 100 years to hope he turns things around while his contract plods along...

UlfNilsson is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:19 PM
  #43
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's going to be hilarious once Brad gets going to see the same people in here killing him to be all over the guy and praising him left and right. Dear Lord.
I have without hesitation given Richards his due when he plays well. He had a 3 game run where I finally thought he was going to pick it up, and he went right back to being awful.

I haven't called him an awful hockey player, I have said he's been awful thus far. I saw him in Dallas plenty and he looked far better then this. I don't need to apologize or "eat crow" when he finally decides to get his head out of his ass. There are a slew of players I can fire off compliments on how they've been this season, I'm allowed to speak my mind when I feel Richards has been a no-show.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:19 PM
  #44
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,070
vCash: 500
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yesssssssssss.

Affinity is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:20 PM
  #45
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,478
vCash: 500
To be fair to Richards:


He's been very productive against most of the top teams in the east:

Philly -- 5GP 2-4-6
Pens -- 4GP 2-2-4
Sens -- 3GP 2-1-3
Bruins -- 2GP 0-1-1
Wash -- 3GP 1-2-3
Florida-- 4GP 2-2-4


21 GP 9G-12A-21P

Those games are why we are tops in the east


Just saying.

GWOW is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:20 PM
  #46
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I have without hesitation given Richards his due when he plays well. He had a 3 game run where I finally thought he was going to pick it up, and he went right back to being awful.

I haven't called him an awful hockey player, I have said he's been awful thus far. I saw him in Dallas plenty and he looked far better then this. I don't need to apologize or "eat crow" when he finally decides to get his head out of his ass. There are a slew of players I can fire off compliments on how they've been this season, I'm allowed to speak my mind when I feel Richards has been a no-show.
Again, so why is he still outscoring Stepan after spending around half the season with 4th liners?

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:22 PM
  #47
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
...yet he's still outproducing our 1st line center. And this is with a ton of games with 4th liners as his wingers. Give me a break, CH10.
Stepan, although he's made some nice passes this season, has not set the world on fire either. Not by a long shot. But Stepan is also 22 years old and on an ELC, and has plenty of room to grow and develop as a player.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:23 PM
  #48
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
It's way too early to make any judgements about Richard's worth to the Rangers. Not to mention the fact that he was on a line with Gaborik, the teams only finisher, for about a minute. IMHO, Torts should have given those two a little more time to find some chemistry.

NYR1967 is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:23 PM
  #49
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Stepan, although he's made some nice passes this season, has not set the world on fire either. Not by a long shot. But Stepan is also 22 years old and on an ELC, and has plenty of room to grow and develop as a player.
Yet Stepan plays with the best forward on the team. And can't even put up the points that Richards has put up with half his season spent with plugs. Perhaps, then, Richards needs to play with better players. I think it's painfully, painfully obvious that he needs a scorer. Anyone with a clue can tell that. He should have been playing with Gaborik a long time ago, but he's taken a lot of focus off that top line where he is.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
  #50
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yet Stepan plays with the best forward on the team. And can't even put up the points that Richards has put up with half his season spent with plugs. Perhaps, then, Richards needs to play with better players. I think it's painfully, painfully obvious that he needs a scorer. Anyone with a clue can tell that. He should have been playing with Gaborik a long time ago, but he's taken a lot of focus off that top line where he is.
Callahan's a plug?

Machinehead is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.