HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards, was he worth it all?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Again, so why is he still outscoring Stepan after spending around half the season with 4th liners?
Thats an exaggeration, maybe a game or 2? He's spent most of his time with Callahan and Dubinsky/Hagelin.

Not to mention he's been a disaster on the power play. Gaborik and Del Zotto have been making fantastic passes all year on the PP, not Richards.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Thats an exaggeration, maybe a game or 2? He's spent most of his time with Callahan and Dubinsky/Hagelin.

Not to mention he's been a disaster on the power play. Gaborik and Del Zotto have been making fantastic passes all year on the PP, not Richards.
A game or two? He was paired with Feds + whomever else quite often.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Callahan's a plug?
Feds, Prust, etc. are plugs. And Richards has played with them a number of games.

And, to be honest, Callahan is a 3rd liner on a great team. He's playing above his head. He's doing it well, but I'd much rather him be on the 3rd line.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Yet Stepan plays with the best forward on the team. And can't even put up the points that Richards has put up with half his season spent with plugs. Perhaps, then, Richards needs to play with better players. I think it's painfully, painfully obvious that he needs a scorer. Anyone with a clue can tell that. He should have been playing with Gaborik a long time ago, but he's taken a lot of focus off that top line where he is.
Well obviously, every player will be better with better players (expect maybe Anisimov lol), everyone knows that. Torts should try him with Gaborik more, but I am pretty confident it will not change much. It's not as much of a personnel issue as Richards playing below his own level.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
A game or two? He was paired with Feds + whomever else quite often.
Fedotenko spent 5-10 games playing on the wing with Richards and Callahan. That doesn't equate to half a season with 4th liners. We were both off.

But regardless, Callahan has more goals then Louis Eriksson, and it has nothing to do with Richards. He's very capable of sniping.

That game against Philly is what Richards can actually bring. And that game was conveniently the one after he has just scored the GWG in OT. He's not playing confident, he's in a bad bad funk.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Well obviously, every player will be better with better players (expect maybe Anisimov lol), everyone knows that. Torts should try him with Gaborik more, but I am pretty confident it will not change much. It's not as much of a personnel issue as Richards playing below his own level.
It is absolutely a personnel issue. I guarantee this changes once Richards gets a bonafide scorer on his wing. That's why I wanted Carter so bad. I think he'd be a better fit for Richards than Nash would be.

Old
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
Simple question, do you think Richards is worth what he's being paid and all of the hype he was receiving going into free agency?
Very few players are ever worth the money they're paid or the hype they receive. Now to Mr. Richards; he is a very good player who has been very productive thruout his career playing alongside very good finishers. However, he has also struggled with his defensive coverage while on the ice.

When he signed here, some people posted "pencil him in for 90+ points" and I replied, "Who the **** is he passing to that's gonna finish?"

Bottom line with Richards is his productiveness will be compromised greatly UNLESS/UNTIL he is playing alongside a winger or wingers who can finish.

It's the first year of his contract and so hopefully this need will be addressed and Richards will be put into a better situation next year.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

The fact that he doesn't have Gaborik on his wing is no reason why he should be totally ineffective on the PP.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The fact that he doesn't have Gaborik on his wing is no reason why he should be totally ineffective on the PP.
Eh, our powerplay has been horrible since Sullivan began running it.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
NYR1967

Quote:
The problem with the PP is systemic. It has nothing to do with any particular player. On that note, Rangers were actually moving their feet tonight and it paid off with 2 PP goals - about time they started doing that.

Old
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Eh, our powerplay has been horrible since Sullivan began running it.
Yeah I'll give you that. He's got to go.

Old
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
It is absolutely a personnel issue. I guarantee this changes once Richards gets a bonafide scorer on his wing. That's why I wanted Carter so bad. I think he'd be a better fit for Richards than Nash would be.
Idk about better then Nash, but I'm more then willing to try Richards out with Nash if we get him. I honestly think with the way he's playing it won't make a huge difference though. He was doing some great things before his broke up with his GF also, maybe that's bothering him.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:35 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Yeah I'll give you that. He's got to go.
How do you keep your job when that power play is your brainchild? Seriously.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Idk about better then Nash, but I'm more then willing to try Richards out with Nash if we get him. I honestly think with the way he's playing it won't make a huge difference though. He was doing some great things before his broke up with his GF also, maybe that's bothering him.
Carter's game just meshes so well with Richards. Has such a great shot off the rush.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlfNilsson View Post
Of course he's overpaid, but so are all UFAs. So far he's been a little disappointing, but he has scored more clutch goals than "Captain Clutch" who is now making pizzas and was way overpaid, as well.
I'll second that.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Carter's game just meshes so well with Richards. Has such a great shot off the rush.
So does Kreider.

I've compared the two of them for 2 years now and nobody seems to agree. I see eerily similar players. Maybe not point projections, but in terms of style...

Kreider should never play in the slot again. I bet that's why people don't see the connection, slot automatically equals = less skilled to some.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
So does Kreider.

I've compared the two of them for 2 years now and nobody seems to agree. I see eerily similar players. Maybe not point projections, but in terms of style...

Kreider should never play in the slot again. I bet that's why people don't see the connection, slot automatically equals = less skilled to some.
Kreider in the slot is so ****ing retarded.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Probably so. He could be saving himself for the playoffs too.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Probably so. He could be saving himself for the playoffs too.
I sure hope so.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Kreider in the slot is so ****ing retarded.
There's a reason I try very hard to not watch him play anymore. Misused.

But we're going off topic. **** Richards.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:01 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
You don't judge the performance of a player vs his salary and expectations 60 games into his first season on a 9 year contract.

As far as judging him just for this game though, Richards once again was making great centering passes that no one capitalized on. Everyone forgets this though because nothing went in the net. Therefore he "sucks" and "**** Richards". You'll all be bowing down to him when Nash gets here. Yes, he blew it in the shoot out. But if he had more than grinders to work with this game would have ended in regulation for a W.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 02-24-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old
02-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
There's a reason I try very hard to not watch him play anymore. Misused.

But we're going off topic. **** Richards.
**** Jerry York

Old
02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Ask me in 5-10 years. Dumb thread.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Dorado*

GWG 's aside Richards is not a fit for the way the NYR play . He's weak on the boards and one on one battles . Our PP players are not creative . Having Brad play the NYR system is like using a race horse to pull a carriage .
Bad fit . NYR need a at least 2 wings and a 3rd line center .
All the talk of Nash a bad contract , BRADS is looming large with a NMC to boot .
This little swoon is what the NYR were Predicted to be . They racked up points but have all the looks of a team that's going to limp to the Finish line

Old
02-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Dubinsky has almost as many assists as Richards does, and who the hell has he played with this season?

No excuses for Richards. You get paid to be a No. 1 center, start acting like a No. 1 center.

It's not like Richards has been setting up his "grinders" with gimme chances that they're blowing. He's not setting anything up. Hagelin's set up for his goal against the Jackets was nicer than anything Richards has done in weeks.
I guess the snipe that (gasp!) Richards shot had nothing to do with the goal. lol.

Closed Thread