HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards, was he worth it all?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
GWG 's aside Richards is not a fit for the way the NYR play . He's weak on the boards and one on one battles . Our PP players are not creative . Having Brad play the NYR system is like using a race horse to pull a carriage .
Bad fit . NYR need a at least 2 wings and a 3rd line center .
All the talk of Nash a bad contract , BRADS is looming large with a NMC to boot .
This little swoon is what the NYR were Predicted to be . They racked up points but have all the looks of a team that's going to limp to the Finish line
Please, by all means, jump off the bandwagon.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Stepanformayor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
He's not producing like expected, BUT, he makes plays that no one else on the team can make, AND he forces teams to play us differently because they have to respect his ability.
Wow!! With all do respect to your opinion, i just have not seen Mr. Richards "make plays no one else on this team can make" At least as a Ranger anyways.. Anyone that thinks Richards is worth even a fraction of what he's being paid needs to get more involved in Linsanity and start folowing the Knickerbockers.. BR best days are well behind him..

Old
02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Pizza

It's probably too soon. Never the less, people want to see results from premier players that are paid handsomely. If Nash comes here both of these guys better be 70 point players. Just saying my piece.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I think Richards has played...anywhere from "good" or better in about 95% of the games this season. He does a LOT right out there, im with Jonathan...he really should be playing with a sniper....Id reunite him and gabby, except the AA, Stepan, and Gabby line have been playing better.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

This question again.

Last summer if someone told you the Rangers would be #1 in the East, 3rd overall at this point, would you have been happy with that?

Yes some players are doing less than expect, some are doing more.... but the team is in great shape. To dissect every player individual part way through the season is pointless.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Please, by all means, jump off the bandwagon.
So none of what I said is true ?
Brad wins lots of 50/50 pucks ?
Is defensively responsible ?
The NYR have looked real sharp the last 3 weeks ?
BR's game ia best optimized with endless cycling and behind the net play ?
Our PP is creative and the players on it really move around and zip the puck around ?

Old
02-24-2012, 11:47 PM
fists2cuffsny
Rookie User

too early to tell.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Stepanformayor*

BR has been a complete bust!! I have been saying it for 3 months anyone that believes that he is worth the money is nuts. He is done as a player!!

Old
02-25-2012, 01:36 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

7 GWG. 3rd on team in points. You guys think this team would be better off without Richards?

Everyone take a deep breath: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-main

Old
02-25-2012, 01:37 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
7 GWG. 3rd on team in points. You guys think this team would be better off without Richards?

Everyone take a deep breath: http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-main
How dare you use common sense and not overreact on HF?

Old
02-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

He should practice penalty shots..

When he goes for it it's easy to see that he doesn't want to be there..

Old
02-25-2012, 02:23 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Odd to read about richards' board work and defense. He was brought here to make plays up ice and to get pucks onto the sticks of goal scorers in positions where they can finish. He's definitely struggled and we've yet to see the slick passig and elite vision and awareness that he certainly possesses, but lets keep in mind that he is playing on a team that hs a borderline obsession with defensive play and has yet to have a bona fide sniper on his wing.

Should he be turning smart two way fwds into snipers? I think thats asking a bit much. I mean that was never his m.o. to begin with. I still truly believe we will reap the rewards of having him in this roster the day we do get a scoring pwf or offensive zone puck control scorer. Gabby is a sniper, but his entire career he's been a guy that scores more on the rush, more-so than a guy that plays a possession game and beats a defender from the boards to the slot.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:56 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
only ranger fans

Old
02-25-2012, 03:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What does this even mean?

He hasn't even been half as good as Gomez or Drury in their 1st Ranger seasons.

How long do we cut him slack? The guy is ****ing awful.
People like you constantly heap praise upon Callahan and then don't realize he doesnt produce when Richards doesn't set him up with golden opportunities. Richards is a huge reason he's on pace for 60 points, but because our team has a ****ing horrendous offense past Richie, Cally, Gabby, Step and Arty, who besides Gaborik suck compared to Loui and Neal, Richie looks worse because for the first time in his career he's playing with guys who aren't very offensively skiled.

And before Feds is brought up, That's a few games not indicative of his career.

Our team has a subpar offense but because of guys like Richie and Gabby it's decent enough to win.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 02-25-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old
02-25-2012, 03:14 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also Dorado posts how the Rangers are trash everytime we go on a frw game losing streak and then rally of 5 wins in a row. No idea why anybody bothers with opinions like that, they're dead wrong.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Vidic15

Dorado is borderline ignore material. No way he has a girlfriend or married. Nobody can put up with that negativity. LGR, no matter what!!!

Old
02-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Chimp

I'm worried about the horrendeus length of his contract. As a player, I think he'll find his groove. Give him a season.

He has been underwhelming, but he hasn't exactly glued with any winger on the team either. We're a low scoring team.

Old
02-25-2012, 04:57 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
He's obviously not meeting expectation so far, but it's way too soon to make any final judgements here...
exactly. at this point, i'm totally cool with him. he was starting to show some chippy-ness yesterday too. this thread can be closed

Old
02-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I remember these comments on Gaborik last season.... That's all I'm saying

Old
02-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Dorado is borderline ignore material. No way he has a girlfriend or married. Nobody can put up with that negativity. LGR, no matter what!!!
Married with 2 kids you HERB , keep my family status out if of Internet tough guy .
As for negativity I have more time on garden toilet seats than I bet 90% of this message board . I have not been blinded by this seasons record .
Richards was brought into a team that does not play the game at which he is best , therefore commenting on his board work and defensive efforts is relative

Old
02-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Dorado*

Sorry typo 3 kids you herb

Old
02-25-2012, 06:38 AM
rangersbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Feds, Prust, etc. are plugs. And Richards has played with them a number of games.

And, to be honest, Callahan is a 3rd liner on a great team. He's playing above his head. He's doing it well, but I'd much rather him be on the 3rd line.
You have absolutely no clue dude. Provide some facts to your input.
Leftwinglock.com shows all line combos up to date.

Richards dubi cally have played together by almost double than any other line combo Richards has been on.
Followed by Richards cally hagelin then
Richards cally Feds then
Richards stepan gabby
Then Richards call anisimov
Followed by with a 0.93 percent
Richards prust Feds

He also has 1 more point then stepan who is 21 year old kid making 880,000 this year not 8 million dollars. He also plays 1:30 more per game than stepan.
Oh ya he is -2 on a 1st place team stepan +23. So please dont compare the 2 of them especially if your point is that he is outscoring him. 1 pt dude.
I really hope your right and tears it up in playoffs but up to now the dude is a huge bust for the price.
I'll take what dubi brings for 4.5 over what Richards does for 6.8 all day long.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:40 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Married with 2 kids you HERB , keep my family status out if of Internet tough guy .
As for negativity I have more time on garden toilet seats than I bet 90% of this message board . I have not been blinded by this seasons record .
Richards was brought into a team that does not play the game at which he is best , therefore commenting on his board work and defensive efforts is relative
Maybe you should spend more time watching the games instead.............. (yes it was a joke)

Also, what kind of insult is 'herb'?

Old
02-25-2012, 06:46 AM
alkurtz

To repeat something I said in a similar thread weeks ago:

I was 100% in favor of signing BR. It was something we needed to do, had to do, and did. I have no regrets, But........

He has been a major disappointment.Yes, I know about, and value,his game winning goals and appreciate the off ice impact he has had, but his overall play has been, simple put, mediocre.

Never a quick skater, he is slower than usual. I have seen very few instances of his elite vision and deft playmaking skills. His reactions times are slower than they were.

At almost the 60 game mark, this cannot be dismissed as a slump. I don't believe that sometimes players "just" have bad years. There is always an explanation, on ice or off, injury or not, that explains it. I have too much respect for all he has done to blame it on his need to adapt to new circumstances, he is to much of an old pro for that. I don't think it is conditioning (he has always had a reputation as a gym rat) and I know it is not a lack of effort. It is not the pressure of playing for a big contract: he has done that before.

Simply put: BR is not the player he has been in the past and shows no signs that he ever will be. He was never a good defensive player and is not good now (the breakaway goal in the Pens game has been blamed on defensemen pinching, but it was his terrible decision making that was the cause of the goal).

Why isn't he the same player? He has not been the same since his concussion and coupled with the fact that he is on the wrong side of 30 and is perhaps showing age-related degradation of skills has resulted in what we see from him.

Every athlete ages differently. Some can retain the skills well into their 30s, others can't no matter how much they try or care. It is this that concerns me the most.

I've always felt that our "window" for seriously competing for the Cup would open next year. A productive BR plus continued improvement (plus the addition, hopefully of Kreider) by our young core would make us an elite team. This year has been an unexpected bonus and I have been against making the Nash trade because I don't want to give up any young assets.

But BR has forced me to reassess the situation and consider whether we need to go for it now. If BR is aging and will never be the same player, he is on a downward slope. We could be looking at the Drury situation all over again. If BR follows the Drury model, we are in big trouble, both on the ice and with our cap. Perhaps we need to go for it now. Gabby also concerns me. Even when healthy he seems incapable of sustaining his high level of play for an entire season. How would be be in a long playoff run? How is he going to be beyond age 30?

I hope I am dead wrong. I hope BR suddenly finds himself. But the signs are not good. I am very concerned about him. I look at him and all I see is mediocre play by an athlete who may be aging. I don't see elite vision or play making skill. Being a #1 center means being productive all the time, not just taking advantage of situations to score game winning goals. We need BR to perform. IMO he has not and I am beginning to think we never will.

Last edited by alkurtz: 02-25-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old
02-25-2012, 06:56 AM
rangersbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersbaby View Post
You have absolutely no clue dude. Provide some facts to your input.
Leftwinglock.com shows all line combos up to date.

Richards dubi cally have played together by almost double than any other line combo Richards has been on.
Followed by Richards cally hagelin then
Richards cally Feds then
Richards stepan gabby
Then Richards call anisimov
Followed by with a 0.93 percent
Richards prust Feds

He also has 1 more point then stepan who is 21 year old kid making 880,000 this year not 8 million dollars. He also plays 1:30 more per game than stepan.
Oh ya he is -2 on a 1st place team stepan +23. So please dont compare the 2 of them especially if your point is that he is outscoring him. 1 pt dude.
I really hope your right and tears it up in playoffs but up to now the dude is a huge bust for the price.
I'll take what dubi brings for 4.5 over what Richards does for 6.8 all day long.
I forgot the best stat of all.
Richards 4:03 pp ice time per game
Stepan 3:04. That's a full minute less per game
Cally 3:35
Gabby 3:25

Over 58 games that's 58 more minutes of pp time than stepan. That's playing a whole game on the pp and he has 1 more point than the 21 year old kid. Awesome comparison man. Way to think it thru.

Closed Thread