HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread II

Old
02-19-2012, 07:18 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
That is interesting.. because I have heard the exact opposite. I have heard that he is a cancer in the dressing room , and generally disfavored by teammates. Not to mention the guy has not won a single damn thing in his life (check out his teams record in junior hockey).. He was not given a tryout to team canada after putting up alot of points for a reason after all.

The short of it is quite simple. Weal is not good enough, will never be good enough, and fell in the draft for a reason. Come find me when the guy plays in one meaningful game instead of loading up points against the weakling teams of the Western Hockey League.
You guys have a messy break up?

Wow bitter sounds bitter. I can actually give you tape of his team mates and coaches saying some pretty impressive and praiseful things about the kid. You want to hate him, that's fine but can you show me anything other than your opinion to support your claims about him? He was a 3rd pick and is turning out pretty well sp far. Time will tell how he ends up but he is far from being deemed "not good enough, will never be good enough".

Give the kid another couple of years before you damn him to obscurity.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:23 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
You know normally I would agree with this.. But when your team in consistently bad throughout your entire junior career, and a bulk of it was played with a player like Jordan Eberle (You know him?) then maybe its something else.. And that is hes just not a winner, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Ive seen my share of Western Hockey League games BTW (probably close to 200). Hes not a player we should bank on. He cherry picks his points on the weaker teams, and disappears against teams that are stronger. Hows that going to translate to the next level when everybody is a top level player? Let me clue you in, it wont. BTW, he has no foot speed, no compete level, and is choppy with the puck. Is that a guy you wanna bank on? We have MUCH better options already in the system. Toffoli, Kozun, Vey. Those guys will be NHL players. Weal will not.
Again, who said ANYTHING about "banking" on the kid. He has greatly improved this year over last year and has shown steady improvement throughout his entire playing career. I only just this season started seeing his game turn a corner and he has some solid skills. Now I am not "banking" on the kid and neither is anyone else that I have heard of around here or anywhere else but that doesn't mean that the kid doesn't have enough talent to potentially make it to the NHL which is what I have said.

Your over emotional ranting about him is silly, the kid has skills and only time will tell if he can make it as a pro player whether at the AHL or NHL level and to say otherwise is simply impossible.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
You guys have a messy break up?

Wow bitter sounds bitter. I can actually give you tape of his team mates and coaches saying some pretty impressive and praiseful things about the kid. You want to hate him, that's fine but can you show me anything other than your opinion to support your claims about him? He was a 3rd pick and is turning out pretty well sp far. Time will tell how he ends up but he is far from being deemed "not good enough, will never be good enough".

Give the kid another couple of years before you damn him to obscurity.

Those tapes I would love to hear.. because I have heard no such thing. Weal comes across as smug in interviews and arrogant.. Not exactly the qualities you would find in a great "team leader." I will also take the opinions of scouts from Hockey Canada, who I would assume watched him intently and decided he was indeed not good enough for a try-out, over the opinions of Scouts who are part of "scouting services" who pray on capitalizing on over-eager parents who get excited about the possibility of their 13-14 year old one day "nhl" player sons being mentioned in an online publication.

HOWEVER, that is not to say I discount your opinion completely. In fact, most of your posts are indeed very informative and spot on evaluations of certain players. So you do indeed recognize talent, but not in this case. Weal is going nowhere in pro hockey. In 3 years I will be happy to say I told you so. Agree to disagree.

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:57 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Those tapes I would love to hear.. because I have heard no such thing. Weal comes across as smug in interviews and arrogant.. Not exactly the qualities you would find in a great "team leader." I will also take the opinions of scouts from Hockey Canada, who I would assume watched him intently and decided he was indeed not good enough for a try-out, over the opinions of Scouts who are part of "scouting services" who pray on capitalizing on over-eager parents who get excited about the possibility of their 13-14 year old one day "nhl" player sons being mentioned in an online publication.

HOWEVER, that is not to say I discount your opinion completely. In fact, most of your posts are indeed very informative and spot on evaluations of certain players. So you do indeed recognize talent, but not in this case. Weal is going nowhere in pro hockey. In 3 years I will be happy to say I told you so. Agree to disagree.
Well said. I don't completely understand some of where you are coming from but fair enough. I will say though that I am not sold on Weal becoming an NHL stalwart or even making it to the bigs. I simply said that I was impressed with what I saw *this* time around (I spend a part of my season watching the WHL) and since I did I went around and asked a bunch of questions.

I was surprised to hear how well respected he was by a few of his team mates both coaches I spoke with and the scouts that I work with/speak to on a regular basis. I went and talked with Weal (for the first time in a casual setting) and found him to be a really nice kid and more than willing to spend whatever time I needed while asking him questions. Allot of up and coming players will give me some time to talk hockey but Weal did this before he knew that I had anything to do with anything.

He sure seems like a good kid but that doesn't mean that I think that he has any lock on making the NHL. I think he was impressive and has matured from this last year to this year and that his game has improved too. That was all that I said and I stick by that.

So in 3 years if he doesn't make it I won't be surprised. It is a really hard step to make the NHL heck, it is a really hard step going from Jrs to the Pro's at all.

On the no invite you and I both know that allot of very good players didn't get invited either and some of the kids that did shouldn't have so that doesn't mean much to me.

Time will tell though and if he flat out fails or has a bad rep at the next level then you will have me. If he makes it to the next level.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Fat Elvis

Thanks for the information you two, it's good to get first hand info on the guys in the jr's and college ranks. Weal will be an interesting prospect to follow the next few years and despite his numbers, I haven't seen too much excitement about him coming in and tearing up the NHL. I think most of us it's a "wait and see" with these kids.

TG, have you had a chance to watch Dowd play this season? He is a prospect that interests me some as a tweener bottom/top sixer. Maybe just some Manchester fodder, but curious none the less.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have seen Dowd and the quick report is that he is gradually improving and is a solid player. I haven't focused too much attention on him yet but I will be soon. He is ready to move up to the next level and I think he has a shot at breaking into the AHL as early as next season. The tools/skills are there but he is a sort of mix bag. If he is on his game he is a really good push forward with pretty nice hands and good enough feet.

Last season he floated at times more than I liked. He has improved allot since last season and I want to see what he can do in Manchester against a higher level of competition.

Sort of an enigmatic player to me.

Old
02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I was looking at Weal's game log, not sure why, but I noticed that Regina is 0-8-1 when Weal doesn't get on the scoresheet.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:37 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Weal had 1+1 tonight. Matching last seasons point total of 96 in 12 fewer games.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:36 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Right now on NBC Sports, UND is playing DU so you can watch Forbert on right now, first period.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Weal has 2+2 tonight.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Right now on NBC Sports, UND is playing DU so you can watch Forbert on right now, first period.
Just tuned in, first shift was pretty good. Pretty good outlet pass and a great use of his reach to break up a 2 on 1 after his partner screwed up.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:33 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Also, you forgot about the other Kings prospect in that game....

Someone made a sick breakout pass that lead to Kristo drawing a PS, but they never show enough of the replay to see who it was....so frustrating.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:53 AM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

Small thing, but it's nice to see that Alex Roach made the top 10 WHL Defensemen list. The only undrafted guy in the list, may be a good pickup.

goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Small thing, but it's nice to see that Alex Roach made the top 10 WHL Defensemen list. The only undrafted guy in the list, may be a good pickup.
Seems like a big defensive dman. A Teubert replacement in the prospect pool maybe. Haven't heard too much about him.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Also, you forgot about the other Kings prospect in that game....

I watched the last half of the game. Is it just me, or have we drafted the lesser of the two Shore brothers?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:00 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I watched the last half of the game. Is it just me, or have we drafted the lesser of the two Shore brothers?
We all knew that going in.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Well the other Shore is a Junior playing with Zucker....the Kings is a freshmen so yea. Extrapolate what you want from that.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I'm watching Forbort and Shore (NDU vs DU) on Root Sports right now. A benefit of living in Colorado, I guess. Both players look solid. Shore has great speed. Forbort is strong on his skates, makes some hard strong passes, head up the whole time. Looks very good.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:34 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I'm watching Forbort and Shore (NDU vs DU) on Root Sports right now. A benefit of living in Colorado, I guess. Both players look solid. Shore has great speed. Forbort is strong on his skates, makes some hard strong passes, head up the whole time. Looks very good.
Is it safe to say at this point, that after a pretty disasterous start to the season, and WJC showing that Forbort has settled into playing his game and simplifying things?

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:51 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Is it safe to say at this point, that after a pretty disasterous start to the season, and WJC showing that Forbort has settled into playing his game and simplifying things?
Forbort is certainly a defensive defenseman. He reminds me a lot of a former UND defensemen... Matt Greene. Didn't step up into the offense at all, hung around a lot near his own goal. As a result I didn't see much speed from him. However, he looked solid in that role.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Well the other Shore is a Junior playing with Zucker....the Kings is a freshmen so yea. Extrapolate what you want from that.
Drew Shore is a Florida Panthers draft pick, correct?

Old
02-25-2012, 10:55 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Drew Shore is a Florida Panthers draft pick, correct?
Correct.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
saska sault

Not sure what Manchesters wings are like but what are the chances Michael Schumacher moves to the AHL next year? Drafted outside the CHL so he can move up at anytime.. had a hot start, but has not done much in 10-15 games. Has the size, and has great hands.... would love to see him back in the OHL, but I kind of doubt it.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
johnjm22

What's up with Christopher Gibson? I haven't heard much about him since he was drafted.

It looks like he's having a less than stellar year statistically speaking.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
What's up with Christopher Gibson? I haven't heard much about him since he was drafted.

It looks like he's having a less than stellar year statistically speaking.
A couple of things with him; he's a young goalie that basically had his confidence shattered at development camp, and again at the WJC, and also he's on an okay team in the QMJHL... For perspective sake; he's currently 7th in GAA, 8th in Save %, 7th in Wins, and 8th in Sutouts. The Q has always been a high offense league and it somewhat skews goalie stats because of that. He's pretty much having a solid season on a decent team in a high scoring league.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote