HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Brodeur talks Luongo, playoffs, and pressure

Old
02-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Brodeur talks Luongo, playoffs, and pressure

Thought this warranted it's own thread so moving this from the GDT.

A good read for the Luongo critics. Brodeur on Luongo:

Quote:
I asked Brodeur this morning if he felt bad for Luongo and, in answering, the future Hall of Famer revealed a little about himself and how he handles criticism, as well.

“It’s never easy,” Brodeur said. “When you set the table to get yourself in position to be the guy, if something goes wrong, you’ll get blamed. That’s part of what we do. If you choose to be a backup, everybody is going to think you’re the best all the time. Or you try to be the best. It’s easy to be the best for two, three weeks, but to be the best for years and years, people are looking to take you down. It comes with the territory. Any good athlete will tell you that.

“You feel bad because I go through all of that every day. Regardless, people expect you to shut down everybody all the time. That’s kind of good. You should take that as a compliment and don’t get offended by it too much.”
Quote:
Brodeur understands that Luongo is under more scrutiny playing for a team in Canada.

“If he played in Phoenix or maybe even New Jersey, you have the ability to go around it a little bit,” he said. “But over there, it’s tough. People demand your performance day in and day out. And it goes with the glory too. When you win, you take it. But when you lose, it’s the other way, and that’s a tough thing to handle. He signed there for another 10 years, so he has to deal with it. I decided to stay here for a reason.”
Quote:
“I’m a big fan of his,” Brodeur said. “To me, I judge you by the kind of person you are. I know him. He grew up two streets away from me and I got to know him real well, his family and everything, and I’m happy he bounced back from earlier in the season. That kind of (carried over) from what happened in the playoffs and now it seems like he was able to shake everything off.”
Quote:
“I went through the Team Canada thing of being the backup of Patrick (Roy) and being behind Cujo (Curtis Joseph) and I finally got the (opportunity in the 2002 Olympics) and was able to do some good stuff,” Brodeur said. “(Luongo) sat behind me a few times and went to the World Championships and did really well and he got the opportunity and he was able to pull off a win – a big win against the Americans – to get the gold (in the 2010 Olympics) and now the expectations are like, he’s won a gold, now he’s playing for a team that won the President’s Trophy during the regular season and had a couple of hiccups bounced back and got to the Finals and lost in Game 7.

“I’ll take that any day for that one opportunity to win a Stanley Cup. I’ve lost one to Colorado (in 2001) and I lost a Game 7 in double overtime against the Rangers (in the 1994 conference finals) and you know what? There’s a lot of good things you do. You need to learn how to lose sometimes in a way to be able to win. This guy has everything for him. He has a good team. He’s got a good coach, a good system in front of him. It’s just a matter of being patient and not worrying too much.”
Very interesting stuff.

EDIT: Full text link: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...o_be_the_best/

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:47 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Full of praise it seems:

Quote:
Goaltender Martin Brodeur admits that identical twins, Henrik and Daniel Sedin, of the Vancouver Canucks seem to always give the Devils a difficult time.

Perhaps it’s because Brodeur can’t tell them apart when they’re on the ice.

“I don’t even know their names,” Brodeur said. “I don’t even know which won the Art Ross (Henrik won it in 2009-10 and Daniel won it last season) or whatever. For me, they’re equal talents. I don’t see a difference at all when they skate and when they play. I know 22 and 33, is that their numbers? That’s about it.”

And the numbers don’t really help Brodeur when they’re skating in on him with the puck

“When they come down, they have to start skating backwards,” Brodeur said. “Now with the number on the (top/front) helmet, maybe I’ll be able to find out.”
Quote:
“They know where each other are on the ice all the time,” DeBoer said. “They almost invite contact. They almost (say), ‘Come on out there and try and hit us’ and they expose areas behind you better than anyone in the league to me. They’re fantastic at that. So, while you want to take away their time and space, you have to be very aware. They’re very dangerous in those situations if you get a little bit reckless running around.”

Although the Devils are 9-1-1 since the all-star break, they know they are in for a tough game tonight against a Canucks team that has the league’s best road record at 21-10-2 and is 8-1-1 in its last games.

“They play a really well-rounded game,” defenseman Kurtis Foster said. “The Sedins are the Sedins. They’re top players in the league that really find each other well and Burrows has really complemented them well. Whether it’s Kesler or (Mason) Raymond or (Chris) Higgins or (Jannik) Hansen, they’re guys that work hard every night, play solid both ways and if you’re going to take two points from them, they make sure it’s a difficult game. That’s guy we’ve got to be ready tonight for one of the harder games of the year.”

DeBoer watched the Canucks end the Red Wings’ 23-game home winning streak Thursday night and came away very impressed.

“It was a great hockey game,” DeBoer said. “Those two teams have another gear when you see them on the ice together, so it’s a big test for us to see how we match up to that.”
Quote:
DeBoer said he is “very happy” to see left wing David Booth find his game after being traded from Florida to Vancouver earlier this season. DeBoer coached Booth for three seasons with the Panthers and saw him struggle a bit to get comfortable again last season after recovering from the concussion that he suffered from the Mike Richards hit in 2009-10.

“David’s a great kid,” DeBoer said. “He was heading towards a great career and then had that hit and it really set him back. He missed a ton of hockey. He came back last year with us in Florida and, looking back at it, I probably asked and expected too much out of him coming off the injury he was coming off and he didn’t have the year he wanted to. But when you look at the guys coming off those type of concussions around the league very few of them don’t take at least a year to recover. So, I think when I watch him now I see the David Booth of pre-injury, starting to see more of that and that’s good to see.”
Quote:
“He’s one of the young, great goalies that we have in the league,” said Brodeur, who will start for the Devils tonight. “I think he’s going to be in demand pretty soon. A lot of teams will look at this guy to be the next coming if you can’t get somebody off of the draft and I think Vancouver knows they have a great asset in him and they keep playing him in good games also to try to keep him sharp. Last year, I think he helped them a little bit in the playoffs when he was able to jump in and out.

“But eventually it’s going to be tough to keep him. I think the team that is going to be able to grab him they’ll find a No. 1 goalie.”
Link

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Very True. Marty's the man.

Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:01 PM
vancityluongo

Interesting reads. I didn't know that Brodeur is a mentor of sorts for Luongo.

Kinda curious he doesn't know the twins though. Even with the Art Ross and Lindsay, they're still unknown around the league.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Not surprising. Brodeur is arguably the greatest of all time and has seen it all.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
"You need to learn how to lose sometimes in a way to be able to win. This guy has everything for him. He has a good team. He’s got a good coach, a good system in front of him. It’s just a matter of being patient and not worrying too much.”~brodeur
Some good stuff!

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
StopCrying

Brodeur is definitely a classy guy. Respect++

StopCrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Some good stuff!
very good quote. it will make luongo and the rest of the team hungeirer to get back to the finals.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
rune74

This is why I like marty more then Tiny Tim.

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
VanEric

I thought Marty's comments about pressure and the different markets was very insightful. It would have been easy for him to dismiss it.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Always been a big fan of Brodeur, all class. When all is said and done, he will go down as one of the greatest goalies in NHL history, maybe even the best.

Flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Diamonddog01

Great quotes from an outstanding organization.

And I fully agree with those comparing Martin to Timmay, Brodeur is just in a different class - both as a player and as a human being.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Wow, very classy from Brodeur. Best goalie of all-time in my eyes(not just because of this interview, I've been saying that for a while).

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

While I may somewhat despise him/find him overrated however this was very insightful and pretty classy comments. He obviously knows what it takes to win, and has been garnering accomplishments most of his life. In regards to luongo, like he said you have to patient, and keep doing what you do best. The results will come. Top 5 goalie of all time, indeed.

Last edited by Sayonara77: 02-24-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:12 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
I'll always have more respect for Brodeur than for Thomas. So much more class it's not even funny.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:37 AM
vanboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I'll always have more respect for Brodeur than for Thomas. So much more class it's not even funny.
one should not even mention the dbag Thomas with Brodeur...EVER.

vanboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
NuxFan09

Nice comments from Brodeur. Like others have said, not just nice, but insightful. His comments aren't full of cliches and courteous compliments for a fellow peer. He's talking directly about Luongo and his circumstances and giving some commentary on how to deal with that.

Good stuff! For all the hate the Canucks get, it seems at the end of the day they garner praise from the best of the best (Babcock, Hitchcock, Brodeur and I think even Lidstrom etc.).

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Even a Canuck fan that watched him steal the series for Boston, I can't help but have a lot of respect for Tim Thomas.

He says some dumb stuff and definitely believes in things I don't, but I have a lot of respect for him sticking to what he believes in. Nothing wrong with a strong moral compass- the only reason people dislike it is because his compass isn't tuned the same way as theirs.

People would have loved for a random player to tell George Bush to **** off. Hell, I would have.
----

As for Brodeur, that was an interesting read. Can't help but think Schneider would be in good hands transitioning to a full time #1 with a guy like Marty guiding him.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:21 AM
kcunac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Kinda curious he doesn't know the twins though. Even with the Art Ross and Lindsay, they're still unknown around the league.
I sort of thought he was joking. The concept of identical twins playing together is kind of funny. Even in the East, I would find it hard to believe that Marty doesn't know one is a passer and one is a shooter. As for telling them apart, one wears a "C" on his jersey

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post

As for Brodeur, that was an interesting read. Can't help but think Schneider would be in good hands transitioning to a full time #1 with a guy like Marty guiding him.
Doesn't the Devils have Jeff Franzee though?
Or is he one of those players that seems to be dominant in the juniors but never amount to anything in the big league?

What about Scott Wedgewood?
How's he developing in the O?

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:45 AM
GreenLantern

Total class act.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Proto

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a strong moral compass- the only reason people dislike it is because his compass isn't tuned the same way as theirs.
I'm not going to get into politics or specifics, as this is not the place for it, but suffice it to say I think as a general principle this is lacking. I'm more interested in what someone's convictions are than lauding them for the strength of having them, and I think there are notable people throughout history with a "strong moral compass" that is abhorrent and not worthy of respect. Just my 2 cents.

As for Brodeur, I've always thought he was a tad overrated as a goaltender, but he's a class act and a definite first-ballot HOFer. Hopefully Luongo is, too, if he can get that silly silver mug.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Yammer

Thanks for the links, very classy remarks. That is how you "pump tires." Even Elias is quoted in the Canadian Press wire story on the game saying that Schneider is a Number One goalie (in waiting).

It is a small courtesy, these compliments, but it makes the game seem more like fun and not like this terrible dour, heavy, woe-causing debacle that hockey can be for those of us who get perhaps too into it.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Class, Brodeur has it.

02-25-2012, 05:00 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Even a Canuck fan that watched him steal the series for Boston, I can't help but have a lot of respect for Tim Thomas.

He says some dumb stuff and definitely believes in things I don't, but I have a lot of respect for him sticking to what he believes in. Nothing wrong with a strong moral compass- the only reason people dislike it is because his compass isn't tuned the same way as theirs.

People would have loved for a random player to tell George Bush to **** off. Hell, I would have.
It's not so much the stuff he says or believes in that irks me - it's his belief that he can do anything he wants in the crease to defend himself or his personal space. I get that he's had to fight his whole career to get to where he is now, but it's his me-first-and-I-don't-care-what-I-have-to-do-to-enforce-that attitude that really rubs you the wrong way. Doesn't help that he speared Manny in the groin during that January game for sliding into him accidentally. How classless can you get?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote