HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

lakehead thunderwolves OUA

Old
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
From afar it seems that Lakehead has been getting predominantly junior "A" as opposed to major junior grads since hosting nationals. (That seems odd.)

I know full well that junior "A" can provide a lot of under-rated players who can make a difference. But if they had recruited even two more major grads per year over the last three years they would have a very strong team right now.
This simple post generated a whole side-track story!

Frankly, I don't know where any team in the CW or most in Ontario would get the money for large-scale under-the-table payments. I do know that Manitoba's trip to Europe enticed many players. But Concordia did likewise.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
mikeandI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
This simple post generated a whole side-track story!

Frankly, I don't know where any team in the CW or most in Ontario would get the money for large-scale under-the-table payments. I do know that Manitoba's trip to Europe enticed many players. But Concordia did likewise.
using the proper venacular Holley they were induced by the Euro tour.
My mom was induced to help her labour. it was an amazing thing so i am told
Geez fred and bruin boy nobody was accusing... i just said that LU has recruited using a form of inducement for far to many guys that just didn't pan out over the long term. and they are pointing the finger at another new coach who is not using the inducement plan to recruit and only has Junior A guys??
will the wudrick fella and the u of a kids work out over time? lets hope so....i could care less if they were induced? i am not in the least bit accusitory here
who is going to police it anyways that stauffer guy?
I just think people are finally realizing the inducements are not necessarily the key to success. i am not sure I have that answer, but all i am saying is throwing inducements is a panic move that has hurt some teams ability maintain or get better. i think that is what i am saying it is happening in all CIS sport except maybe cross country it is getting crazy out here

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
you know i keep hearing all you experts talk about junior A versus major junior guys and how important it is that to be at the elite level we need Major Junior Guys.....
stauffer talks about it all the time as does the red army dude
do you know how much these guys are expecting to be paid
it is unsustainable!!
wudrick how is he doing? bad investment! could have got three guys who battle for that price
daily reddick ferguson at u of a? stupid cash!
cap what cap
dittmer and macauley how are they doing!!!
check their price tag compared to the above four
benias walker heck even hellyer, the crowley's, schappart? we probabley got em all for the price of the one of those guys above!
our junior A guys are good as well

these guys came here for the minimum... those above guys went for unbelievable amounts, our guys wanted to come home!! good on them
listen, talk to the coaches rather than sitting here on the blogs
the major junior guys want an arm and a leg to go to the CIS programs....for the most part they become 3 4 th line guys mostly 5th and 6 th d men cuz they wont compete unless the wind is going in the right direction... the junior A guys come in and compete, they dont complain are not high maintainence. they work hard and go to school for a reason
UBC decided not to go after WHL guys( at least I think that is what they did...?) and geez they get big milage out of their guys....okay robert i know they are in 5th place but how many under achieving WHL guys does a team have to have to be in the good recruiters hand book. geez lakehead has been a bust because they have over paid for far toooo many underachieving non student major junior guys for waaaay to long!! had to be said! and you guys are busting the coach because he was/is tired of these flops? they cant handle the expectations that come with the high $ price tag so they bail and blame the program the ****** league or coach. times up on these primadonnas
haha this is amazing! First off Geordie Wudrick seems like a good player to me a 43 goal scorer on your third line or so for depth can hurt anyone, and the guys on the team think hes great. When he gets the Ice Time hell be a goal scorer as well. If Geordie Wudrick is swimming in the Money like you say, why is he living in a small dorm room on Campus, and set up with a roomate to share it with he doesn't know and has nothing to do with the hockey program, why not take all his $$$ and get a nice condo for the last 3 months of the season. If teams are offering $$$$ amounts to players, ex players would spill the beans. Out of all the guys over the years I have got to Know from both STU and UNB in person non of them have ever mentioned anything like that. So give us something to go on, what are players being paid, when and who cause I have no idea but id like to know, are you talking $ 20 bucks a game, $ 100 a game, $ 500 a game, buying all their groceries, buying them a new car, be more specific, non of this anonimus crap

Does this mean Matt Caria was an overpriced underacheiver?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
haha this is amazing! First off Geordie Wudrick seems like a good player to me a 43 goal scorer on your third line or so for depth can hurt anyone, and the guys on the team think hes great. When he gets the Ice Time hell be a goal scorer as well. If Geordie Wudrick is swimming in the Money like you say, why is he living in a small dorm room on Campus, and set up with a roomate to share it with he doesn't know and has nothing to do with the hockey program, why not take all his $$$ and get a nice condo for the last 3 months of the season. If teams are offering $$$$ amounts to players, ex players would spill the beans. Out of all the guys over the years I have got to Know from both STU and UNB in person non of them have ever mentioned anything like that. So give us something to go on, what are players being paid, when and who cause I have no idea but id like to know, are you talking $ 20 bucks a game, $ 100 a game, $ 500 a game, buying all their groceries, buying them a new car, be more specific, non of this anonimus crap

Does this mean Matt Caria was an overpriced underacheiver?
thook seems to think so

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:44 PM
blackmarketmob

As a fan who has watched Lakehead play, I found they were more difficult opponents when they had Dobben, Dias, Speer, McDonald, Hogg, Caria etc as opposed to some of the local Thunder Bay players like Gamache, and Magill.

I do not have any knowledge of players in the CIS and money, but I do admit I am somewhat surprised by the idea of large sums of money being paid to players. In the OUA most teams run alumni programs, such as Laurier's adopt-a-hawk program where alumni can give donations in order to cover basic necessities such as sticks, gloves, uniforms etc. Some of the items like hockey pants are ripped and you can see have been passed down for a number of years. I do not know much about out East, but I believe I read something on here within the past year or so involving Dalhousie and their recycling of jerseys for several years due to costs, perhaps someone could confirm. With several schools actually dropping certain teams or changing them to club status to avoid costs, I would be surprised to see that money going to "pay" high end hockey players, almost all of whom are receiving free tuition and books from the CHL to start.

If indeed the "pay" is good, one would wonder why anyone would try minor pro at all, given the salary caps in leagues such as the ECHL/CHL can effectively limit rookie players to a few hundred bucks a week. If you could get your free education while getting paid more than you would to play pro, seems like a win-win to me, especially after playing 4-5 years at $100 bucks a week in the CHL.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
thook seems to think so
When playing well Caria is half of the Lakehead team. Over the course of this year, every player was under PPG (other than shortened season Beljo) and Caria was above point and a half per game. He is chippy and mouthy, does not play a whole lot of defence, but makes plays few can make in the OUA.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
WilcoxHound

When I played CIAU (70's era) I never heard a team mate ever mention payola. A couple frat houses used to keep us in beer and babes after games and those that wanted had no problem getting connected to well paying summer jobs. That was before the "Age of Entitlement".

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
thook

Quote:
thook seems to think so
Caria is the best player in the country. No doubt in my mind. Problem is there is No doubt in his mind either. He's a premadona at times. But when he comes to the rink ready to play he is my first pick.
And usually puts 3 or 4 points up.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:26 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Caria is the best player in the country. No doubt in my mind. Problem is there is No doubt in his mind either. He's a premadona at times. But when he comes to the rink ready to play he is my first pick.
And usually puts 3 or 4 points up.
Did he show up last night?
You want to hope so, tonight!
It would be a bit of a surprise if Windsor beats Lakehead twice on home ice, with big crowds.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:37 AM
thook

What a crazy messed up disappointing year for Lu hockey. LU was clearly considered a favourite year in and year out. But lately, since Don McKee was let go for no good reason there has be no stability with in the team. This team is run by a board... Like the leafs... Clearly that does not work! Hahaha. LU has no coach in place right now... At least not a coach that has been announced and no news of recruiting... I know it's early but with all this uncertainty would any top guys want to come here anyway? I mean the board and Tom warden (athletic director) fired the coach mid season and then kicked their best player off the team. So next year when Frazee shows up at western or Waterloo Lu is going to get buried. I'm not sure what the solution is with Lu but they need to save face here soon or they may have some terrible years ahead. I know I'm going to need to see something happen before I put my 300 bucks down for tickets next year! I think a good start would be going after nationals again and doing it right this time.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
AUS Fan

That's a problem you face with a "privately" funded team. There is too much interference from the "owners" It is an investment by them and I think they should have some input, but as an outsider, it appears that they have a lot of input.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
thook

Well here it is... Lakeheads we coach.... http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/27...nald-new-coach