HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Richards, was he worth it all?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 06:57 AM
  #101
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Brad Gomez , Bad Richards , Wade Richards . He is on the down . Put away the homer goggles . He's Brutal

Dorado* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 07:02 AM
  #102
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,925
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Also, what kind of insult is 'herb'?
Probably some gay, Christmas sweater wearing herb like camomile




Hellion is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
  #103
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Richards is having a good season considering the situation he is in right now.

Richards has the role of 2nd line center on this team. He has 40 points. Not a bad season at all so far with the role he has right now. I am not sure if there is another 2nd line center in the NHL who has more points than Richards?

His points would be much improved if Torts puts Richards on the first line with Gaborik.
However, Torts doesn't want to mess with the team chemistry right now

msv957 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 07:35 AM
  #104
NewYorkStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
All? I'm not sure. Some? Possibly. Part of? Maybe, but not definitive. Who can say if anyone is worth it all, all is quite a bit. There is alot of everything when you think about it, so worth all of it? Definitely a portion.

NewYorkStranger is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 07:57 AM
  #105
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Yes he's worth it.

This team needed that presence. On and off the ice.

His assist numbers are down. He doesn't have anyone to pass to. Callahan isn't exactly Eriksson.

Rangers will address the issue.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:01 AM
  #106
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
He's 10 assists off pace.

He's on pace for 60 points. He's typically a 70 point player. Typically 20-50 guy.

He's scoring more goals than usual. And setting up less than usual.

Again, he doesn't have that winger he can set up.

Rangers will address the issue.

Kreider, Nash, Parise, they'll get him someone to play with.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:09 AM
  #107
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Richards is having a good season considering the situation he is in right now.

Richards has the role of 2nd line center on this team. He has 40 points. Not a bad season at all so far with the role he has right now. I am not sure if there is another 2nd line center in the NHL who has more points than Richards?

His points would be much improved if Torts puts Richards on the first line with Gaborik.
However, Torts doesn't want to mess with the team chemistry right now
Glad we signed him to all those years and dollars just to be a 2nd line center. Was that what you were saying last summer that we should sign him to be our 2nd line center?

bubba5 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
  #108
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?
 
RangerBlue62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Glad we signed him to all those years and dollars just to be a 2nd line center. Was that what you were saying last summer that we should sign him to be our 2nd line center?
Yes, he was brought in here specifically to be the 2nd line center. I heard Sather is also going after Suter this summer to fill out the bottom pairing with Sauer.

Just because he is not on the top offensive unit does not mean he's a 2nd line center. I suppose Sather should have waited until the next PPG Conn Smythe winning center fell on the open market.

You guys seriously need to chill out. This is the best Rangers season in 15+ years. The guy is gonna be here for the better part of the next decade. Never would have expected so many pessimistic posters for a team 7 points clear in first place. Yet you act like we're in 12th place and Richards killed your dog.

SERENITY NOW!!!

RangerBlue62 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:43 AM
  #109
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Glad we signed him to all those years and dollars just to be a 2nd line center. Was that what you were saying last summer that we should sign him to be our 2nd line center?
Not at all. I wanted him to be the first line center passing pucks to Gaborik. His point totals would increase and there would no complaints about Richards. Heck, he has more points than Stepan and Stepan is playing first line center. I am not sure that Richards can do a lot more considering the role he is right now.

As much as everyone on HF loves Stepan, perhaps he should be criticized more for not having more points as the first line center. Torts has this team believing in the system so it seems he does not want to mess with team chemistry which is understandable.

msv957 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
  #110
WeWillWinTonight
Registered User
 
WeWillWinTonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
This season can best be classified as disappointing for brad. Thing is we are still in 1st place and he has a chance to turn his game around. I get down on him but I just think he's to good of a player to not work his game out.

WeWillWinTonight is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
  #111
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust
 
MacTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Glad we signed him to all those years and dollars just to be a 2nd line center. Was that what you were saying last summer that we should sign him to be our 2nd line center?
If this team brings in Nash or Parise we will have two top lines that are essentially dead even

Arty-Step-Gabby
(ZPar/Nash/Kreider)-BR-Cally

I'm almost positive that if Richards gets a scoring winger on his line, he will once again become the 70/80 point player.

Also, he takes time to adapt to a new team. His rookie season with Tampa it took him the whole first half to find his bearings. When he first moved to Dallas, he had a season much like this one, he started out slow but then picked up his game.

MacTruck is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:45 AM
  #112
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Glad we signed him to all those years and dollars just to be a 2nd line center. Was that what you were saying last summer that we should sign him to be our 2nd line center?
Personally, I think it's great that we have enough depth that Brad Richards can be our second line center. That's a huge reason why we're where we are in the standings. I have no problem with Richards' even strength production. It's the PP where he should be collecting more points. I certainly don't blame solely him for the PP problems (they were there long before he arrived), he just hasn't been as instrumental in correcting the PP's deficiency as I expected. Then again, I never expected a single acquisition to fix the travesty that is our PP.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 08:55 AM
  #113
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
The GWG s were all very nice plays . In between however he has made A TON OF WEAK PLAYS , is one if the teams only minus players and has not elevated the play of his line mates all that much .
People on here complain that adding a player of Nash caliber is cap suicide well that is the case because of Richards Albatross contract complete with NMC . He looks slow and soft on LOTS of plays .
He has a good shot and has a flare for the big spots but I think for his contract and what he brings on both sides of the puck he is not worth his contract thus far

Dorado* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  #114
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?
 
RangerBlue62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
The GWG s were all very nice plays . In between however he has made A TON OF WEAK PLAYS , is one if the teams only minus players and has not elevated the play of his line mates all that much .
People on here complain that adding a player of Nash caliber is cap suicide well that is the case because of Richards Albatross contract complete with NMC . He looks slow and soft on LOTS of plays .
He has a good shot and has a flare for the big spots but I think for his contract and what he brings on both sides of the puck he is not worth his contract thus far
He's always been soft and not so great defensively. I actually think this benefits the Rangers as it will result in less wear and tear on his small frame and allow him to be productive throughout most of his contract.

Regarding Nash, I could be wrong but if he waves his nmc to come to NY, isn't the clause void for the remainder of the contract?

RangerBlue62 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:14 AM
  #115
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
How can any of you compare Richards to Stepan. I think Stepan is a all around better player than Richards and it shows in his ability to kill penalties, play on the pp, play a bigger role in ot, and he is so much better in his own end and he is still a young 21 year old kid.

If any of you think that they signed him thinking he would be are second line center, have a negative impact on the pp,and have 1 more point than Stepan at this point is crazy. I have said this a least 3 times on this board. The reasons Richards is not playing with Gabby are easy to me. He is awful in his own end and he can not skate with Gabby.

I think it's a blessing that Stepan has matured into the player that he is or we would be in a lot of trouble down the middle. The fact that Stepan has 40 points and is now 6th overall in the entire NHL at a plus 23 is nothing short of remarkable for a kid that most of us (including me) did not think that he would even be in the NHL.

As far as i am concerned Brad Richards was brought in here to boost our offense and make our PP better, and he has done neither. I would bet if you asked the Ranger brass they would tell you the same. This has BUST written all over it!!

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
  #116
wr50l
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Scotland
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
3rd on the team in goals, points, 4th in assists, 1st in GWG. If this was the case and we were in 8th, problem. But when your team is in 1st and you have these numbers it is not a problem. Let's be serious: the system is defensive and the players are defensive, team scoring is going to reflect that.

I'm not completely enamored with him, but it's hardly the case that Richards' troubles are as significant as they are made out to be, and it is hardly the case that he is as solely responsible for it as he is made out to be.

It would also be helpful if the team had a right handed goal scorer either on left wing or on the point of the powerplay.

wr50l is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:19 AM
  #117
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
Simple question, do you think Richards is worth what he's being paid and all of the hype he was receiving going into free agency?
In a vacuum? No he's not worth the money. As an integral part of a team in which he's 3rd in goals, 4th in assists and 3rd in overall scoring, while allowing said team to roll 2 effective lines that opponents have to try and contain and currently sits on top of their conference? I'd say yes.

I had Richards pegged for 60-65pts unless he spent a full season with Gabby. Overall I would have liked him to do a little more, but I've also lost count of the times he's put a great pass onto a teammates stick only to see that shot go wide, get fanned on or be shot straight at the goalie. Should that be an excuse? No, but it is a mitigating factor IMO. Has it happened to other players? Yes, but I'd wager not to the extent of Richards. Add just a fraction of those chances being converted by a teammate (in particular a LW with an average shot or above) and he'd conservatively have another 5 pts, putting him 2nd in scoring and 1st in assists. If that was the case would everyone be bagging him?

Could Richards be playing better, yeah he could. Would the team be where they are without him, we'll never know (although I'd love to find out, why can't we have parallel universes????) but I say no.

mike14 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:35 AM
  #118
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,554
vCash: 500
I believe he'll be fine.

I want to see him in the playoffs and next year.

If he doesn't look good next year, then this conversation would be applicable.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:40 AM
  #119
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
I must be the only one on this board that does not see all these plays that BR is making. He was a ....... ghost last night. They never mentioned his name all night. Your argument is so lame about guys burying there chances he would have 5 more points. Look at the NHL leaders once dude. These guys have 30 more points right now than the big prize we worked so hard to get last summer. Every player that has ever played this game wishes guys would convert on all the passes they make but the reality is that does not happen. Torts is losing confiedence in BR and it is starting to show up in his TOI. If Torts trusted BR he would have him start the 4-4 overtimes with Gabby but he does not trust him. Why is it so hard for some off you to call the 60 plus million dollar guy a BUST!!!

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:49 AM
  #120
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yes he's worth it.

This team needed that presence. On and off the ice.

His assist numbers are down. He doesn't have anyone to pass to. Callahan isn't exactly Eriksson.

Rangers will address the issue.
Bingo! That's what I've been saying since we signed Richards.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:53 AM
  #121
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
I can sum this all up in a few sentences:

1) Richards added a dynamic the team was lacking -- yes, he's worth it, even if you can't quantify his importance

2) Richards is having the worst statistical season of his career -- yes, but the team is winning without his elite playmaking abilities

3) Richards has not helped the power play -- the problem is systemic, not on an individual

4) Richards has been inconsistent -- Yes, but something tells me his stats against top teams will translate to playoff success.

GWOW is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
  #122
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I must be the only one on this board that does not see all these plays that BR is making. He was a ....... ghost last night. They never mentioned his name all night. Your argument is so lame about guys burying there chances he would have 5 more points. Look at the NHL leaders once dude. These guys have 30 more points right now than the big prize we worked so hard to get last summer. Every player that has ever played this game wishes guys would convert on all the passes they make but the reality is that does not happen. Torts is losing confiedence in BR and it is starting to show up in his TOI. If Torts trusted BR he would have him start the 4-4 overtimes with Gabby but he does not trust him. Why is it so hard for some off you to call the 60 plus million dollar guy a BUST!!!
I assume this was directed at me?

I didn't see the game last night and so obviously and not referencing that, I have however seen almost every other game since the end of October.

Why is my argument 'lame'? I said he'd 5 more pts, that's all. I'm not in any way, shape, or form trying to compare Richards to the rest of the league, what would the point be? I could say that playing alongside Malkin, Gabby would have 45 goals already, but who cares?

Why don't I cal him a bust? because I don't think he is, simple really.

mike14 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:56 AM
  #123
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
What presence are you guys talking about? I hope we don't sign to many more of these (presence guys) to 60 million dollar 9 year contracts cause if we do we will be in a lot of trouble. When you guys say he has a great presence are you guys in the locker room and around the team to see this. When you guys say that it makes it sound like you know something the rest of us don't.

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:56 AM
  #124
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,143
vCash: 873
Yes, Brad Richards is not having the season we wanted or expected, but he is still worth having on the team.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
  #125
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
You really think at 7 Million a year he is worth having around pld?

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.