HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Brown

Old
02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wow, DFF, I havent seen you so passionate about a player in such a long time lol. Even when defending Homer you werent this passionate.
Haha. I guess I just thought more people would be on the same page. I understand people getting on Homer and Leighton, who I have defended in the past, but I can't believe people wouldn't be excited to get Brown on this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
...Ok... I'll skip the stuff at the end (I think you're underrating Hartnell's defense and exagerating Brown's), but please tell me how the rest of that makes any sense.

How can one player regularly finish in the 50s for points, playing fewer games over his career, and have essentially the same career PPG? It's because two of Hartnell's lowest-scoring season (2003-2004 and 2006-2007) he missed significant time (nearly 1/4 of his team's games). If you project those two seasons out, he's easily over 50 in both cases.
Brown has played seven full seasons and has only scored less than 50 in two of them (probably three if you count this season). The first was 28 in his rookie year, I think we can all agree that was an aberration. The other he scored 46, and this season I'd say he winds up somewhere in the 40s. Hartnell on the other hand, has played nine full seasons and two injury seasons. Of those nine seasons he has eclipsed 50 points twice, this year and in 2008-09. In my book, 7/9 under fifty is not the same thing as 5/7 fifty or above. Browns first 110 games hurts his PPG pace, which I think it is pretty clear that those first 110 are not indicative of his play. I'd say the 5/7 if more accurate, just like Hartnell's 7/9 is more accurate.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

we do NOT need brown. Price would be too high.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Price would be very welcome!

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
we do NOT need brown. Price would be too high.
Simmonds and Schenn for Brown.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Simmonds and Schenn for Brown.
Yes if you replace Simmonds with Harts and Schenn with Read or JVR.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Yes if you replace Simmonds with Harts and Schenn with Read or JVR.
Fine but I'm replacing Brown with Richards.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Fine but I'm replacing Brown with Richards.
Fine by me. Shouldn't have gotten rid of our captain in the first place.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Talent wise I would agree but given the rift I don't see how keeping him would have worked out. We likely would have had to remove Lavi, Pronger, and whoever the anonymous players were who leaked stories attacking Richards character after he left.

It wasn't as combustive as the Eagles situation a few years back but it was getting to that level.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:50 AM
bendersauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I suppose if you want to look only at PPG, then yes obviously they are similar.
you've talked about point production the whole time. dustin brown is a nice player and i would love to have him on the flyers. he doesnt fill a need. also the flyers lead the league in scoring why make a move that might disrupt the chemistry? the only forwards i would consider moving are jake or read and even then i would be uncomfortable moving either one.

carle would be the only guy i'd be happy with moving for brown. maybe carle and picks and prospects but i dont know if la would go for that. i just do think la and philly have the right pieces to get this deal done.

bendersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Kaktus*

No way I would move JVR for him but Voracek? I'd trade Voracek for Brown

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
...am I reading that wrong, or did Elliot Friedman just try to say that he "can't wait" until the trade deadline craziness is over?
I heard him on the radio yesterday again. He said he does hate the deadline, all the hype, the repeated failures to pay off, but 'then you see the ratings numbers, and they go up every year, and you realize you're giving fans something they want, so you have to do it.'

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
No way I would move JVR for him but Voracek? I'd trade Voracek for Brown
why bother? We don't need another hartnell on the team. We already have Harts and Simmonds. We don't need anymore forwards. What we need is a young defenseman to replace pronger next season. We will have allot of added cap space to play with.

If we offer Suter anything over 6 mil I'll freak.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:22 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Hey now. You mean siding with a 36 year old, ridden down and washed up defenseman wasn't the best idea?!

Old
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
why bother? We don't need another hartnell on the team. We already have Harts and Simmonds. We don't need anymore forwards. What we need is a young defenseman to replace pronger next season. We will have allot of added cap space to play with.

If they let Carle walk, and Suter is available, they'll offer him over $7M.

I agree on Dustin Brown. What's the big deal? If he's such a great captain, why didn't he lead them somewhere during his entire tenure? They have sucked and choke and fizzled under his command. Wow! The most talented, underachieving team over the last 5 years and we want their 'captain?' No thanks.

Now, if Richards has split that room too, Dustin might have to go, but with Jagr, Simmonds and Voracek at RW, we just don't need or have room for him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:37 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Talent wise I would agree but given the rift I don't see how keeping him would have worked out. We likely would have had to remove Lavi, Pronger, and whoever the anonymous players were who leaked stories attacking Richards character after he left.

It wasn't as combustive as the Eagles situation a few years back but it was getting to that level.
Somehow I wouldn't doubt some of those players are already gone and/or are injured.

Lavi is more replaceable than Richie is. Should have foreseen Washington's troubles and planned on acquiring Bruce.

Quote:
Hey now. You mean siding with a 36 year old, ridden down and washed up defenseman wasn't the best idea?!

Old
02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Why don't we need "another" Hartnell? How is moving Voracak for Brown prevents us from getting a d-men?

Old
02-25-2012, 06:01 PM
s3x

From Bobby Scribe, Kings' blogger:

"Is he the L.A. Kings' intended identity? I don't believe so. I don't believe Dustin Brown represents what Dean Lombardi wants this team to become. That is not to say Lombardi is right but don't think for a second Mike Richards' arrival here was a happy accident. Richards is exactly what Dean wants. The player who is to the Kings what the Leonidas character was to the Spartans in the movie 300."

O rly?

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Somehow I wouldn't doubt some of those players are already gone and/or are injured.

Lavi is more replaceable than Richie is. Should have foreseen Washington's troubles and planned on acquiring Bruce.

Yup. Why there isn't a psychic on the Flyers' payroll, I'll never know.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:48 PM
s3x

Two Power Play goals for Dustin Brown in the first...

Looks like the asking price just went up. Ha.

EDIT: Add a shorty for the natural hat trick in the 2nd.

Officially off the market.

Last edited by s3x: 02-25-2012 at 08:16 PM.
s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
From Bobby Scribe, Kings' blogger:

"Is he the L.A. Kings' intended identity? I don't believe so. I don't believe Dustin Brown represents what Dean Lombardi wants this team to become. That is not to say Lombardi is right but don't think for a second Mike Richards' arrival here was a happy accident. Richards is exactly what Dean wants. The player who is to the Kings what the Leonidas character was to the Spartans in the movie 300."

O rly?
Some of the stories are a little weird. This is one of many articles that I read that mentioned Richards taking the C and others went a little farther to say that some captains and former captains personalities were bumping in the locker room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-second-chance

Quote:
Brown in the Middle
One might imagine that the acquisition of sniper Jeff Carter by the Los Angeles Kings would calm the waters in L.A. But the deal has had just the opposite effect, as immediately after the deal with Columbus was announced Thursday night multiple sources reported that the Kings were looking to move captain Dustin Brown.

By Friday, however, it appeared as though Kings GM Dean Lombardi had had a change of heart and GMs around the NHL were reporting that Brown was no longer on the market.

That teams would be interested in the gritty Brown isn’t the issue. There was immediately a lineup of teams interested in inquiring about what it would take to acquire the former U.S. Olympian. Brown would have been a nice fit in Toronto, Boston, Nashville and the New York Rangers, pending the Rangers’ efforts to acquire Columbus captain Rick Nash.

But if Brown is off the market, it begs the question of how he can remain a King at all, let alone remain as captain. Multiple sources told ESPN.com they believe that whether Brown remains with the team or not the plan is to make Mike Richards the next captain of the Kings.

Richards, acquired by L.A. last June, was the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers at the time of the trade.

Brown, an understated sort who epitomizes leading by example, had not been approached by Lombardi about the situation Saturday and remains uncertain what lies ahead for him.

“It’s frustrating for Dustin,” his agent Scott Norton told ESPN.com Saturday.

“He’s got a young family. L.A.’s been the only place he’s known. He wants to know what’s going on,” Norton said.

Brown, 27, was the 13th-overall pick of the Los Angeles Kings in 2003. There are certain parallels to the Nash situation in that having broached the subject of trading the face of the franchise, the Blue Jackets must get a deal done to move Nash whether it’s before Monday’s trade deadline or during the offseason.

The same dynamic exists now with Brown, with the main difference being that Brown does not control his own destiny via a no-trade or no-movement clause. Regardless, it’s still hard to imagine how Brown can stay with the team moving forward given the events of the last couple of days.

Norton said Brown, who has three children under the age of four, still wants to win in Los Angeles but if that’s not to be, then he’ll give his heart to a new team.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
Two Power Play goals for Dustin Brown in the first...

Looks like the asking price just went up. Ha.
make it a hat trick. 3rd goal was SH

Old
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Natural hatty for Brown driving his price up...

02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Some of the stories are a little weird. This is one of many articles that I read that mentioned Richards taking the C and others went a little farther to say that some captains and former captains personalities were bumping in the locker room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-second-chance
Sounds like Richards is the new Pronger.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Damaged Goods

And an assist.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:26 PM
damacles1156

Brown was never going anywhere. Move by management to let the team know, no one is safe if you keep playing like you are.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote