HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery situation

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What don't you get? What is your exact purpose here?

Avery has been a problem. Why reward him?
Honestly, I think it's more about GM relationships than anything else. If Calgary wants Avery at half price, and the couple hundred thousand dollar cap hit won't keep the team from making any other moves they may want to make, then this could be a "for the future" kind of thing.

If it doesn't impact any other moves the team is thinking about making, how is this NOT a "win" situation for the Rangers?

-Avery's in the last year of his contract, so no cap hit rolls over to next year.

-Avery has apparently been an ass in Hartford, so it gets him out of there.

-The odds of seeing Avery in the playoffs is almost zero.

-The next time Sather wants to do a deal with the Calgary GM, this move is there in his mind ("hey--help me out here--I've helped you out before" kind of situation).

What's NOT to like about this?

Old
02-24-2012, 05:48 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Honestly, I think it's more about GM relationships than anything else. If Calgary wants Avery at half price, and the couple hundred thousand dollar cap hit won't keep the team from making any other moves they may want to make, then this could be a "for the future" kind of thing.

If it doesn't impact any other moves the team is thinking about making, how is this NOT a "win" situation for the Rangers?

-Avery's in the last year of his contract, so no cap hit rolls over to next year.

-Avery has apparently been an ass in Hartford, so it gets him out of there.

-The odds of seeing Avery in the playoffs is almost zero.

-The next time Sather wants to do a deal with the Calgary GM, this move is there in his mind ("hey--help me out here--I've helped you out before" kind of situation).

What's NOT to like about this?
RangerBoy is a great poster, but he has a severe bias against Avery. Can you blame him? I guess not. But I like what Sather is doing here. Worst case scenario the Rangers have $200K and change extra on the books...if it was going to affect anything the Rangers wanted to do at the deadline than this wouldn't be speculated.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Yes! !!! Free Sean Avery!!!!

Old
02-24-2012, 06:05 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I'm unsure why anyone would bother trading for him when he would have to clear re-entry waivers before hand anyways... Giving up assets and more money (at this point, cap hit doesn't matter).

I mean, I guess they can do a "Here's player X for future considerations" as a thank you for putting him on re-entrys but am not sure if thats even allowed...
+1
Absolutely true!!!

Old
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

12PM No Avery on waivers? Wouldn't it have had to be by 12?

Old
02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie

Wolski not on waivers. But these guys are: Ryan Russell and Clitsome (CBJ), Boulton (NJD), Staubitz (MIN), Kolanos (CGY). Staubitz re-entry.
No Avery, it seems.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers smartened up.

Weekend waivers expire in 48 hours. Saturday-Monday. Sunday-Tuesday. The deadline for Monday waivers is gone. Avery has to be on the roster prior to 3pm Monday to be playoff eligible.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:15 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Talk about a marriage gone wrong. Sather doesn't put Avery on re-entry
https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/...55024012275714

Broken marriage. A long time ago.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I think RangerBoy pretends to hate Avery to convince us that he's not Larry Brooks

Smart business move by the Rangers here. Avery's time in the NHL is donezo. If he's gonna go anywhere in the NHL next season it'll be for the league minimum, and I bet he might consider a year overseas at $2 mil over that. Pocket a nice amount of change and then retire from hockey to pursue his other interests.

Old
02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I think RangerBoy pretends to hate Avery to convince us that he's not Larry Brooks

Smart business move by the Rangers here. Avery's time in the NHL is donezo. If he's gonna go anywhere in the NHL next season it'll be for the league minimum, and I bet he might consider a year overseas at $2 mil over that. Pocket a nice amount of change and then retire from hockey to pursue his other interests.
Yea, came here to post that Avery wasn't waived.

But again, its not a "smart" or "stupid" business move.. its just nothing.

Hardly anything was gained by waiving him and even less is now gained by leaving him in the AHL.

I doubt he'll head overseas. He has a lot going on here and he's already pocketed upwards of 20 million which I'm sure he can survive on for a little

Old
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Just like every other broken marriage, it's all about the Benjimans.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Vitto79

cant they still put guys on waivers tommorow for Monday? Avery and maybe Woywitka?

Old
02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
cant they still put guys on waivers tommorow for Monday? Avery and maybe Woywitka?
Nope. 48 hours to clear on weekends so they would have had to been on waivers by noon today.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:27 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Nope, it's the weekend. Waived tonight/tomorrow = Tuesday.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
seanaveryfan

Let me get this clear because I am not too familiar with the rules..in order for Avery to play for the rest of the year and/or playoffs, he would have to have been waived and picked up before Monday's trade deadline? Let's say he gets waived after the deadline and no one claims him, could the Rangers use him for the rest of the season and playoffs? I know if a team picks him up they won't be able to use him if I got that clear. Sorry if this question was already answered. Thanks guys.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:53 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Just send Avery back to Manhattan. He won't playing another game for the Whale.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:49 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanaveryfan View Post
Let me get this clear because I am not too familiar with the rules..in order for Avery to play for the rest of the year and/or playoffs, he would have to have been waived and picked up before Monday's trade deadline? Let's say he gets waived after the deadline and no one claims him, could the Rangers use him for the rest of the season and playoffs? I know if a team picks him up they won't be able to use him if I got that clear. Sorry if this question was already answered. Thanks guys.
I think Rangers can still use him since he is in the organization by the trade deadline. Just no other team can since that acquisition would be post-deadline and any players acquired post-deadline are ineligible for the playoffs.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:49 PM
seanaveryfan

We can use a fresh Avery for playoffs..would that be possible?

Old
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Just send Avery back to Manhattan. He won't playing another game for the Whale.
he's been back in manhattan for almost 2 weeks now...hartford got fed up and told him to eff off

Old
02-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Vitto79

any chance he is still dealt for a terrible AHL contract? Is it not safer for a team to get him then place him on reentry as he won't be playoff eligible for anyone else?

Last edited by Vitto79: 02-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
any chance he is still dealt for a terrible AHL contract? Is it not safer for a team to get him then place him on reentry as he won't be playoff eligible for anyone else?
What would be the point? Avery is a UFA at the end of the season so why would the Rangers acquire a "terrible AHL contract" and why would any team bother acquiring Avery?

He'll be wherever he is now until end of the year then he'll likely either get a minimum 1 year deal or a modeling gig.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Really wish we knew what went down with NYR and Avery. Mutual agreement to just not play for Whale? Can't imagine it was Gernander's decision to bench him. Hasn't played since scoring a goal and punching a guy in the face immediately after! Hahahaha. Damn I miss him on the ice here in Hartford.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
What would be the point? Avery is a UFA at the end of the season so why would the Rangers acquire a "terrible AHL contract" and why would any team bother acquiring Avery?

He'll be wherever he is now until end of the year then he'll likely either get a minimum 1 year deal or a modeling gig.
why would someone not take him, let him play on their AHL team for a few games, then call him up(no one will claim him).........he auditions for the rest of the yr and they may use him in the playoffs or sign him for next yr?

Rangers get rid of the guy. To move him they can take a bad contract but that guy may help the AHL team in CT.............you would rather have him being a waste of space in the minors? Potential headache

Old
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
egelband

what's the avery situation now?

i know he was put on re-entry waivers and - i guess - not picked up by anyone. so is he back on the nhl roster? just wondering, really...

Old
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
He was never put on waivers. He won't play another game this year for the Rangers or the Whale.

Closed Thread