HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Isles

Old
02-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
What annoys me is we have our scapegoats.

Right now it's Marty Biron. Everyone will say how awful he is and the masses will follow ensue. He didn't play as bad as everyone thinks he played. And I hate the argument Well, hank would have saved that!

Because you cannot predict something like that.

We're going to get on Richards case because he missed in the shootout and John Mitchell for "being on the ice" (even though he gave us a PP).

But we're going to ignore Staal's idiotic and lazy change that resulted in a goal.

We're going to ignore MDZ's idiotic stick play that resulted in a goal.

We're going to ignore the horrible defensive coverages on the first goal.

And we're going to ignore things like Step's idiotic penalty that nullified the PP.

I hate cherry picking. The team - as a cohesive unit - failed tonight.
don't forget Brian Boyle; he sucks pretty much every night but Torts loves him so I have to watch him lose key draws, destroy good scoring opportunities and spend half the night on his ass. We should try going with four 4th lines; then Torts will have all the grinders he can handle.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
indeed he did. but, another game with sv% under .900, another game with a goal through his 5-hole, another game where he couldnt bail the team out in front of him.

Nobody with a brain would put this one ONLY on Biron. He wasnt the sole reason, but the Rangers aren't good enough to be able to overcome even average goaltending.

This team wins 90%+ of its games thanks to the man between the pipes.

I think we are a little spoiled with just how good Henrik is.
It's not all Marty's fault; obviously. But Nabakov outplayed him and that's a fact.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Draft Guru

Can not blame this on Biron.

We had 3 golden opportunities to win a hockey game.

Power play with 2:47 left in regulation.

4-on-3 power play with ~1:15 left in overtime.

Brad Richards with a chance to score and win it in the shootout.

We just didn't get it done.

Take the point, move on tomorrow and try and get 2.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Bardof425*

I know people hate to read this but we are getting nothing out of our bottom two lines when they are not killing penalties.

So, why is Avery in Hartford again? There's not one guy on those bottom two lines who is producing more than Sean would and we are taking alot of crap lately which would be going the other way if Avery was in the lineup. Teams are agitating us instead of the other way around. Feds, Mitchell, Boyle, Rupp, Prust? Really? All are liabilities at ES. And Dubi is starting to fit in with the 4th line brigade. We will not succeed in the playoffs with this lineup. Our top two lines are just not potent enough to carry the entire offensive load. This needs to change or we can ride off into the sunset quietly and hope that Slats and Torts have enough sense to replace some of the stone hands with a couple of skill guys for next year. You cannot win in the playoffs with that much dead wood. Sorry.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:40 AM
OverTheCap

When Torts said this team wasn't ready to win the cup this season, he was right.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Not nearly enough criticism for tonight's shoddy defensive play. Del Zotto, Stepan, Callahan, etc. all made mistakes that shouldn't be made at this juncture. This team better clean up their act or it will be one and done in the playoffs.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:48 AM
shelaur22

So, I decided to take a nap during the first intermission and ...woke up with 10 to play in the third. How did I miss Richards first fight as a Ranger? Damn, and he'll probably never fight again.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:53 AM
JHaggis

Looks like Rangers was in holiday...
Islanders is so poor,i think this game is easy win.

But i blame Biron for lose. 0-2 goal go too easy far and his not so good as Lundqvist at shootout

JHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:55 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I know people hate to read this but we are getting nothing out of our bottom two lines when they are not killing penalties.

So, why is Avery in Hartford again? There's not one guy on those bottom two lines who is producing more than Sean would and we are taking alot of crap lately which would be going the other way if Avery was in the lineup. Teams are agitating us instead of the other way around. Feds, Mitchell, Boyle, Rupp, Prust? Really? All are liabilities at ES. And Dubi is starting to fit in with the 4th line brigade. We will not succeed in the playoffs with this lineup. Our top two lines are just not potent enough to carry the entire offensive load. This needs to change or we can ride off into the sunset quietly and hope that Slats and Torts have enough sense to replace some of the stone hands with a couple of skill guys for next year. You cannot win in the playoffs with that much dead wood. Sorry.

Cuz Avery is a trash pplayer past his prime who can't score consistently OR kill penalties.

Call up MZA, not Aver.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:56 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
When Torts said this team wasn't ready to win the cup this season, he was right.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Not nearly enough criticism for tonight's shoddy defensive play. Del Zotto, Stepan, Callahan, etc. all made mistakes that shouldn't be made at this juncture. This team better clean up their act or it will be one and done in the playoffs.
Girardi looked slow as molasses. I think the minutes are getting to him.

Like is aid, the defense has been atrocious for a few eeks. Upetting, considering it was one of our strongpoints.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

I'm trying to stay positive.

How are the Islanders like shootouts?

Nobody likes them, and they're not in the playoffs!

...I'm trying here.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:45 AM
egelband

i only watched the first two periods but i thought mitchell played very well. not sure what all the hub-bub is about. he has good puck control and coordination. i understand why torts would try him in the shootout. shootouts are kind of a crapshoot anyhow. i don't read-into them vey much. i do agree that wolski should have been given a shot but at this point it appears he's totally gone from this team. a shame, since he would appear to have skills. i guess torts just couldn't live with his defensive weakness. ok, fair enough. still would have liked to see him get a shot. even if just to raise his trade value. (not that you do that at the expense of the team). bottom line is it's tortorella's team and i'm very happy with the results. i won't quibble with too much since i'm no expert.
i do know that teams, even the best ones, have slumps.
i'm very confident in this team and liked the bounce-back last night after the early deficit.
i do think biron is not terribly well-suited to playing one game every couple weeks. he seems to be more of a ride-him-til-he-gets-going kind of goalie. which is good if hank gets injured, but just for maintenance purposes, he's not the best backup. (i'd still rather have biron for a longer run if hank were injured).

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Are there any UFA goalies on the market this off season who are better than Biron?

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:55 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Are there any UFA goalies on the market this off season who are better than Biron?
UFA goalies include:
Huet
Brodeur
Roloson
Niittymaki
Mason
Ellis
Leighton
Vokoun
Gustavesson
Hedberg
Clemmensen
Auld
Harding
Conklin
Raycroft
Montoya
Emry
Sanford
Nabakov

Obviously not all will be available, not all will want to be a back up, and not all will perform better than Biron

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:05 AM
egelband

im happy with biron... tho it would be funny if montoya came back to the rangers

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Easy to sum up...

The positives: The game ending, Bruins also losing a shoot-out
The negatives: Bad Richards, no changes in the line-up in the last weeks
The Redden: Guess we'll have to go with Biron have a 60% save percentage in the 1st period

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Leetch66

I never was in a shoot out before...but I think I could have scored on the first Fishstick chance againt /\ Marty.

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
UFA goalies include:
Huet
Brodeur
Roloson
Niittymaki
Mason
Ellis
Leighton
Vokoun
Gustavesson
Hedberg
Clemmensen
Auld
Harding
Conklin
Raycroft
Montoya
Emry
Sanford
Nabakov

Obviously not all will be available, not all will want to be a back up, and not all will perform better than Biron
Harding is the only one on that list I would want as our backup.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:13 AM
TigerJack

What rule gives MDZ a penalty for "Throwing the stick"? What a stupid rule. In Sweden this rule certainly isn´t used, check out Oscar Möllers stick pass (no call, just an awesome play)

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:33 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
What rule gives MDZ a penalty for "Throwing the stick"? What a stupid rule. In Sweden this rule certainly isn´t used, check out Oscar Möllers stick pass (no call, just an awesome play)
Rule 10.3

A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players’ bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. A player will be penalized if he throws, tosses, slides or shoots a stick to teammate on the ice. A player may not participate in the play using a goalkeeper’s stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

The video above is an awesome play, unless it hits someone in the face, or if the stick MDZ had slid along the ice tripped someone up or interfered with the play. That is why it is a rule. Maybe the Rangers need to have rule book sessions in the beginning of the year and refreshers throughout the season.

Stupid play by MDZ.

I remember once when I think it was Ulf Samuelson who gave Richter his stick after Richter lost his stick. Ulf then went and picked up the goalie stick and started playing with it and was called for a penalty and had a look on his face like: "what did I do?" Pretty funny, tried to find a video, but couldn't so I might have the wrong player involved.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 02-25-2012 at 07:42 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
What annoys me is we have our scapegoats.

Right now it's Marty Biron. Everyone will say how awful he is and the masses will follow ensue. He didn't play as bad as everyone thinks he played. And I hate the argument Well, hank would have saved that!

Because you cannot predict something like that.

We're going to get on Richards case because he missed in the shootout and John Mitchell for "being on the ice" (even though he gave us a PP).

But we're going to ignore Staal's idiotic and lazy change that resulted in a goal.

We're going to ignore MDZ's idiotic stick play that resulted in a goal.

We're going to ignore the horrible defensive coverages on the first goal.

And we're going to ignore things like Step's idiotic penalty that nullified the PP.

I hate cherry picking. The team - as a cohesive unit - failed tonight.

Callahan blew his defensive coverage down low on I think it was the first goal, or maybe second, I don't remember and don't feel like looking it up. He basically watched the goal instead of checking the man. But Callahan is a defensive god who never makes mistakes back there, ****ing Biron.

People like to establish narratives, and once they're formed people begin to suffer from confirmation bias. They only see what they're looking for because that's all they're looking for. They excuse things that go against it, while over emphasizing things that go for it.

I wish more people would listen to what Torts has to say about the game, listen to what others experts have to say instead of thinking they themselves know better. Because they end up saying stupid ****. So many people hear should try to learn something instead of thinking they could be running a team.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
don't forget Brian Boyle; he sucks pretty much every night but Torts loves him so I have to watch him lose key draws, destroy good scoring opportunities and spend half the night on his ass. We should try going with four 4th lines; then Torts will have all the grinders he can handle.
You're doing it wrong. This anti-boyle crap that's going around is fantasy. He's been one of our best faceoff men, and he has played very physical. He's not on his ass half the game. He's actually played a very tough grinding game (hitting included) for a while now. Obviously the goals aren't coming much, but they're creating a lot of chances, which at very least is preventing the opposition from creating offense. Also the forecheck is wearing down the opposition. Fighting a guy like Boyle on the forecheck just wears them down even more. Boyle has been great for us this year.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:47 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

When I saw the game going to shootout I knew they'd lose. Rangers SUCK at shootouts this year. Anyway, Biron needs to fix his five hole issue on breakaways, it's really sad.

Other than that, I only caught OT & SO, so I can't comment much on the rest of the game.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Rule 10.3

A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players’ bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. A player will be penalized if he throws, tosses, slides or shoots a stick to teammate on the ice. A player may not participate in the play using a goalkeeper’s stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

The video above is an awesome play, unless it hits someone in the face, or if the stick MDZ had slid along the ice tripped someone up or interfered with the play. That is why it is a rule. Maybe the Rangers need to have rule book sessions in the beginning of the year and refreshers throughout the season.

Stupid play by MDZ.

I remember once when I think it was Ulf Samuelson who gave Richter his stick after Richter lost his stick. Ulf then went and picked up the goalie stick and started playing with it and was called for a penalty and had a look on his face like: "what did I do?" Pretty funny, tried to find a video, but couldn't so I might have the wrong player involved.
Hockey has hundreds of rules including obscure ones like that. Its difficult enough for refs to learn all the rules let alone the players. I highly doubt players ever read the rulebook, they just learn the hard way from experience, its unreasonable to expect them to learn all of the rules.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Hockey has hundreds of rules including obscure ones like that. Its difficult enough for refs to learn all the rules let alone the players. I highly doubt players ever read the rulebook, they just learn the hard way from experience, its unreasonable to expect them to learn all of the rules.
Well, if fans know that it is a penalty as it is happening, don't you think a professional player should know?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Lest we forget

Quote:
You make millions of dollars to play this ****? You learn the rules, even the obscure ones. Not unreasonable.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote