HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jerred Smithson traded to Florida for 2012 6th Round Pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
  #76
Shea Weber
Registered User
 
Shea Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
So now we pick up a C?

Fisher
Legwand
Spaling
Smith?

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
  #77
PhoneGuy
Registered User
 
PhoneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm just glad someone else finally took our trash.
Very poor choice of words, IMO. The guy gave 100% every time he was on the ice, which is more than can be said about alot of players.

Best of luck, Smithers.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:20 AM
  #78
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Very poor choice of words, IMO. The guy gave 100% every time he was on the ice, which is more than can be said about alot of players.

Best of luck, Smithers.
+1. This is a guy who's DNA is woven into the fabric of the pred's organization because he overachieved, he paid attention to detail, he was a good citizen, he cared and he gave it all all the time. That's the identity of this club whether you start or finish your career with a Crosby skill set or a smithson skill set and it's a huge reason our franchise isn't wandering in the wilderness like Columbus. We owe respect and thanks to the fitzgeralds,the johnsons, the walkers, fiddlers and smithsons when they leave Nashville, even when their skills have diminished or our team's talent level has overtaken them.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:21 AM
  #79
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,071
vCash: 500
So for now, we only have one Smitty (until Jeremy gets a call-up)?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
  #80
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Very poor choice of words, IMO. The guy gave 100% every time he was on the ice, which is more than can be said about alot of players.

Best of luck, Smithers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
+1. This is a guy who's DNA is woven into the fabric of the pred's organization because he overachieved, he paid attention to detail, he was a good citizen, he cared and he gave it all all the time. That's the identity of this club whether you start or finish your career with a Crosby skill set or a smithson skill set and it's a huge reason our franchise isn't wandering in the wilderness like Columbus. We owe respect and thanks to the fitzgeralds,the johnsons, the walkers, fiddlers and smithsons when they leave Nashville, even when their skills have diminished or our team's talent level has overtaken them.
Sorry I don't feel the same way about the guy that you both do. He was a role player that did his job. Big whoop. He's gone, I'm thankful for it. He is trash compared to what we have on the roster at this moment and I'm glad he's gone. I hope he does well for the Panthers but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

And no, I don't owe respect to the guys mentioned above. The one I give my hats off to is Walker. He turned his career around with us and is the epitome of what a Predator is. He was a fourth liner that turned into a pretty good overall player for us. He worked his butt off, fought on the ice for his teammates, skated hard every shift, showed tenacity beyond belief. To put Smithson in the same category is a major slap in the face to Walker, IMNSHO.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  #81
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500



This means one of two things:

1. Another move is coming. It's very un-Pred like to move a guy like Smithson before the playoffs. Why not keep him, even as the perma-scratch, for depth?

"The Preds are trying to be very aggressive. Some interesting possibilities brewing in Nash-ville." -Eklund tweet (iiiiinteresting how he spelled Nashville, hmmmm....)


2. We're simply trading him when his value is highest because his role is diminishing.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:30 PM
  #82
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 500
Does anybody else think we're interested in Pahlsson? He could be another shutdown center for key faceoffs. Or is he even an upgrade over Smithson at this point?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:31 PM
  #83
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Does anybody else think we're interested in Pahlsson? He could be another shutdown center for key faceoffs. Or is he even an upgrade over Smithson at this point?
Yes, I think a guy like Pahlsson or Gaustad will be in Nashville before the deadline...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:39 PM
  #84
Broom of the System
Registered User
 
Broom of the System's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yes, I think a guy like Pahlsson or Gaustad will be in Nashville before the deadline...
If that's the case, I hope it's Gaustad. Much like Smithson, it seems Pahlsson skills have diminished as of late. Part of that could be playing on an awful team though.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:10 PM
  #85
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Gaustad would be great. Exactly what we need albeit without the playoff experience that you would like.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:54 PM
  #86
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Shea Weber on Smithson: "Itís tough to see a guy like that go thatís invaluable (with) the leadership that he had."
https://twitter.com/#!/JoshuaCooper/...74487864541187

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
  #87
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,524
vCash: 500
I'm actualy shocked by this move. I thought he would keep him as locker room leadership and injury insurance, but its no big deal. For a 6th, I would have liked to keep him, but I'm hardly devastated.

Thanks for the memories Baby-Face. A predator through and through. He may not have been the most talented, but he worked and he cared. That's all we could have asked. Best of luck to him in the Sunshine State.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:03 PM
  #88
PhoneGuy
Registered User
 
PhoneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Very poor choice of words, IMO. The guy gave 100% every time he was on the ice, which is more than can be said about alot of players.

Best of luck, Smithers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
+1. This is a guy who's DNA is woven into the fabric of the pred's organization because he overachieved, he paid attention to detail, he was a good citizen, he cared and he gave it all all the time. That's the identity of this club whether you start or finish your career with a Crosby skill set or a smithson skill set and it's a huge reason our franchise isn't wandering in the wilderness like Columbus. We owe respect and thanks to the fitzgeralds,the johnsons, the walkers, fiddlers and smithsons when they leave Nashville, even when their skills have diminished or our team's talent level has overtaken them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sorry I don't feel the same way about the guy that you both do. He was a role player that did his job. Big whoop. He's gone, I'm thankful for it. He is trash compared to what we have on the roster at this moment and I'm glad he's gone. I hope he does well for the Panthers but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

And no, I don't owe respect to the guys mentioned above. The one I give my hats off to is Walker. He turned his career around with us and is the epitome of what a Predator is. He was a fourth liner that turned into a pretty good overall player for us. He worked his butt off, fought on the ice for his teammates, skated hard every shift, showed tenacity beyond belief. To put Smithson in the same category is a major slap in the face to Walker, IMNSHO.
I just don't see the need to call the guy trash. Yes, he was a role player, and yes, his particular skillset started eroding while the younger players around him started overtaking him, but he played his role well while he was here, was pretty effective as a 4th line grinder/PK'er/faceoff man, and like I said, gave 100% every game. I liked Smithers, but all players move on. I have no problem with that. Just thought you could have been more tactful.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:19 PM
  #89
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
I just don't see the need to call the guy trash. Yes, he was a role player, and yes, his particular skillset started eroding while the younger players around him started overtaking him, but he played his role well while he was here, was pretty effective as a 4th line grinder/PK'er/faceoff man, and like I said, gave 100% every game. I liked Smithers, but all players move on. I have no problem with that. Just thought you could have been more tactful.
I think you're confusing my trash statement. It had nothing to do with him as a person. His play was trash. That's what I was referring to. Hope that clears it up.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
  #90
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think you're confusing my trash statement. It had nothing to do with him as a person. His play was trash. That's what I was referring to. Hope that clears it up.
you should use my sunshine line of--this predator team has outgrown him

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:51 PM
  #91
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm just glad someone else finally took our trash.
Quote:
I think you're confusing my trash statement. It had nothing to do with him as a person. His play was trash. That's what I was referring to. Hope that clears it up.
Well I was going to let it go but don't blame someone else for confusing your statement.

There's your quote. That's what you wrote. It doesn't say his play was trash. The two aren't the sames so either you wrote it confusingly (which is different than someone confusing it) or you're backtracking. As written it's tactless. Just to be clear there is nearly universal agreement that his play had declined substantially. That isn't the point.

Of your subsequent defenses, I don't agree with any of your statements other than the NSH part of your use of IMNSHO.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
  #92
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you should use my sunshine line of--this predator team has outgrown him
ill use the line.... smithson sucks **** and he won't be missed. im glad I know longer have to see trotz's man crush on him and that we got something for him .. I would have given him to a team for nothing. goodbye smithson, I will not miss you or your ugly genetically impaired looks. I won't miss your same routine you do before every game.. and how you ignore the little kids hollering at you right behind you. you suck and you being gone is a good thing for this team. this is not the 2003 preds.. weve out grown you..

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:30 PM
  #93
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I'm actualy shocked by this move. I thought he would keep him as locker room leadership and injury insurance, but its no big deal. For a 6th, I would have liked to keep him, but I'm hardly devastated.
It's possible that Poile/Trotz just didn't see him in their plans down the stretch and were giving him the chance to go somewhere where he would be useful and get playing time.

I don't get the Smithson hate. He has digressed this season, but some of the comments are pretty embarrassing.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:17 PM
  #94
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 500
It's kind of a bummer to see him go after almost 500 games, but that's sports.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:51 PM
  #95
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sorry I don't feel the same way about the guy that you both do. He was a role player that did his job. Big whoop. He's gone, I'm thankful for it. He is trash compared to what we have on the roster at this moment and I'm glad he's gone. I hope he does well for the Panthers but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

And no, I don't owe respect to the guys mentioned above. The one I give my hats off to is Walker. He turned his career around with us and is the epitome of what a Predator is. He was a fourth liner that turned into a pretty good overall player for us. He worked his butt off, fought on the ice for his teammates, skated hard every shift, showed tenacity beyond belief. To put Smithson in the same category is a major slap in the face to Walker, IMNSHO.
So I guess that's why most players weren't sad to see Walker go. Smithson worked every bit as hard on the ice as Walker, perhaps more. He may not have had the skill but this isn't about that. My interactions with both players told me that Smithson was twice the person and twice the team mate then Walker ever thought about being. Talk about a slap in the face.

Having said that, it was Smithson's time to move on. We have players that can do what he does and offer something extra.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
  #96
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
So I guess that's why most players weren't sad to see Walker go. Smithson worked every bit as hard on the ice as Walker, perhaps more. He may not have had the skill but this isn't about that. My interactions with both players told me that Smithson was twice the person and twice the team mate then Walker ever thought about being. Talk about a slap in the face.

Having said that, it was Smithson's time to move on. We have players that can do what he does and offer something extra.
I wasn't going to post since I didn't have details but I do remember Walker not being the greatest lockerroom guy.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
  #97
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
ill use the line.... smithson sucks **** and he won't be missed. im glad I know longer have to see trotz's man crush on him and that we got something for him .. I would have given him to a team for nothing. goodbye smithson, I will not miss you or your ugly genetically impaired looks. I won't miss your same routine you do before every game.. and how you ignore the little kids hollering at you right behind you. you suck and you being gone is a good thing for this team. this is not the 2003 preds.. weve out grown you..
So what did Smithson do to your family? Just wondering.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
  #98
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,928
vCash: 500
Smithson always plays hard and leaves it all on the ice. He has been a fine representative of this hard working lunch bucket team and was a valuable member of this team. He was not as talented but was rarely outworked. He did the dirty things most don't like to do and did them with a workman mentality. He was a great team player and I thank him for his service to this team.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
  #99
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2012/2...t-sweet-prince

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ84WsPlCUs

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:17 PM
  #100
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
So what did Smithson do to your family? Just wondering.
nothing.. just very glad to see him gone.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.