HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards, was he worth it all?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 10:00 AM
  #126
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
I am sure glad pld is not our GM or we would have the Wade Reddens, Chris Drury's and more Brad Richards on this team.

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 10:05 AM
  #127
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 901
vCash: 500
Hoping that he turns it around does not negate an honest assessment of his performance. He all hope that he turns it around. We need him to do well for us to make a deep playoff run.

I don't buy the argument that it is his wingers. Cally is not exactly swiss cheese. I just don't see evidence of visionary passes that are just not converted. I just don't see elite vision and passes that make you say "wow."

Aside from the team's monetary investment, all of us fans have an emotional investment in him. We want him to do well so bad. When he doesn't perform, many here are making excuses for him. It doesn't make you less of a Ranger fan to evaluate his work and come away upset, disappointed, and concerned.

Yes he brings so much else to the table and that cannot be dismissed or negated. We are a better team with him than without him. But wasn't this what we said about Drury? He got him to perform on the ice above all.

Some games I ask myself "is he even playing?" Some games he is invisible on the ice. I count myself as upset, disappointed, and concerned.

Our need is still the same as it has been the last few years: a legit #1 center. Right now we have 3 #2 centers (counting AA has a center): BR, Stepan, AA, (Dubi too if we want to include him) and a #4 center (Boyle). Having a plethora of #2's is good but we desperately need a #1 and I don't see where we are going to get one.

alkurtz is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 10:10 AM
  #128
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,245
vCash: 500
A player should be doing a lot more with a $6.7 million cap hit and $12 million salary. That said, he hasn't been terrible. The problem is, with his contract, he's supposed to be excellent. And he hasn't been. He's scored some big goals for us, but the bottom line is, the consistency hasn't been there.

You can argue that he hasn't played with great line mates, but it's not like Gaborik is playing with the most talented players in the world. And Gaborik is doing significantly better.

I'm waiting to reserve all judgements until the playoffs. Big picture here. We signed him for his playoff resume and to acquire a #1 center. If he can fulfill that role in the playoffs, I'll have no problem with a 55 point season. If he can't, and is inconsistent in the playoffs, I'll say he had a bad year, and deserves to be in the hot seat next season.

I know it's nice to say "cut him some slack" but when you sign a contract like he signed you open yourself up to criticism if expectations aren't made. That's part of being a professional athlete.

Fataldogg is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
  #129
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
How can any of you compare Richards to Stepan. I think Stepan is a all around better player than Richards and it shows in his ability to kill penalties, play on the pp, play a bigger role in ot, and he is so much better in his own end and he is still a young 21 year old kid.

If any of you think that they signed him thinking he would be are second line center, have a negative impact on the pp,and have 1 more point than Stepan at this point is crazy. I have said this a least 3 times on this board. The reasons Richards is not playing with Gabby are easy to me. He is awful in his own end and he can not skate with Gabby.

I think it's a blessing that Stepan has matured into the player that he is or we would be in a lot of trouble down the middle. The fact that Stepan has 40 points and is now 6th overall in the entire NHL at a plus 23 is nothing short of remarkable for a kid that most of us (including me) did not think that he would even be in the NHL.

As far as i am concerned Brad Richards was brought in here to boost our offense and make our PP better, and he has done neither. I would bet if you asked the Ranger brass they would tell you the same. This has BUST written all over it!!
Meanwhile, Stepan has 1 less point than Richards.

And good to know Stepan is already the better player. Let's talk when he has a Cup and a Conn Smythe.

Rangers Fail is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  #130
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
I would say that the coach is saying he is a better player cause the TOI would tell you that. Guys like you Broadway are drinking the Richards Kool aid and he has been a complete bust. If you watched the games you would see the same things some of us are seeing. You were the guy all summer saying that he was the guy that was going to fix the powerplay and be this hero that we have been waiting for. IMO Stepan will be mean more to this team in the future than Richards will. The guy has no give a **** factor what so ever and it shows up on the score sheet every night. Do you really think to this point of the season that he has been worth the 7 million dollars we paid him? Or has he been a bust like a lot of us believe?

Meanwhile Stepan has 1 less point.

Meanwhile Stepan is a plus 23 and 6th in the NHL and Richards is one of only two forwards on this team that is a minus. My guess is is that Stepan could care less if he has 1 less point than the 7 million dollar guy and would much rather have the coaches trust, which i am pretty sure he has!!!!!


Last edited by Stepanformayor*: 02-25-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  #131
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Alkurtz great post. Spot on!!

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
  #132
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I would say that the coach is saying he is a better player cause the TOI would tell you that. Guys like you Broadway are drinking the Richards Kool aid and he has been a complete bust. If you watched the games you would see the same things some of us are seeing. You were the guy all summer saying that he was the guy that was going to fix the powerplay and be this hero that we have been waiting for. IMO Stepan will be mean more to this team in the future than Richards will. The guy has no give a **** factor what so ever and it shows up on the score sheet every night. Do you really think to this point of the season that he has been worth the 7 million dollars we paid him? Or has he been a bust like a lot of us believe?

Meanwhile Stepan has 1 less point.

Meanwhile Stepan is a plus 23 and 6th in the NHL and Richards is one of only two forwards on this team that is a minus. My guess is is that Stepan could care less if he has 1 less point than the 7 million dollar guy and would much rather have the coaches trust, which i am pretty sure he has!!!!!
God do you not have any idea what you're talking about.

Stepan has spent the entire season with the best forward on this team. Richards has not had any real constant linemates up until recently and has played a lot of plugs. Yet he's STILL outscoring Stepan! This is without any real help around him. Without any sniper. Having to do all the work himself.

This kind of view is the same shortsighted view that makes people think New York fans are ridiculous. Let's judge a guy who has had a hell of a career up until this point on half a season where he's playing with zero help. Boy. I'm sure glad you don't run this team.

And coach's trust? Torts simply does not want his two top forwards on the same line for some reason. So far it's worked. I disagree with it, but whatever.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
ECL is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
  #133
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
I'm sure these people labeling Richards a "complete bust" are all aboard the Nash bandwagon... Who is having basically an identical season statistically and has an even worse contract.

MugatuNYR is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  #134
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
This thread is like a how-to guide on how to be an impatient, reactionary, and all-around obnoxious sports fan. It really makes me ashamed to be a part of this fanbase.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
  #135
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
This thread is like a how-to guide on how to be an impatient, reactionary, and all-around obnoxious sports fan. It really makes me ashamed to be a part of this fanbase.
It's the caricature of what outsiders view NY sports fans as. This is almost as bad as when Mets fans started irrationally hating Beltran.

ECL is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
  #136
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Stepan is playing with are best forward because he has earned it. Tort's gives you nothing for free. Stepan is there because he has out performed Wade Richards. Nash plays on the worst team in the NHL dude!!. I guess if you guys are happy with a 7 million dollar guy having 40 points and being a bust end of discussion. Call a spade a spade folks!!

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
  #137
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Yes, he was brought in here specifically to be the 2nd line center. I heard Sather is also going after Suter this summer to fill out the bottom pairing with Sauer.

Just because he is not on the top offensive unit does not mean he's a 2nd line center. I suppose Sather should have waited until the next PPG Conn Smythe winning center fell on the open market.

You guys seriously need to chill out. This is the best Rangers season in 15+ years. The guy is gonna be here for the better part of the next decade. Never would have expected so many pessimistic posters for a team 7 points clear in first place. Yet you act like we're in 12th place and Richards killed your dog.

SERENITY NOW!!!
OK, so it's OK to throw 9 year contracts to guys on the downside of the career to be a 2nd line center. For those of you who wanted this guy (and I was definetly not one of them), how many were saying "boy if he can make our 2nd line center that would be terrific!". He sure will be here for the next decade because no one in their right mind would trade for him!

bubba5 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
  #138
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I would say that the coach is saying he is a better player cause the TOI would tell you that. Guys like you Broadway are drinking the Richards Kool aid and he has been a complete bust. If you watched the games you would see the same things some of us are seeing. You were the guy all summer saying that he was the guy that was going to fix the powerplay and be this hero that we have been waiting for. IMO Stepan will be mean more to this team in the future than Richards will. The guy has no give a **** factor what so ever and it shows up on the score sheet every night. Do you really think to this point of the season that he has been worth the 7 million dollars we paid him? Or has he been a bust like a lot of us believe?

Meanwhile Stepan has 1 less point.

Meanwhile Stepan is a plus 23 and 6th in the NHL and Richards is one of only two forwards on this team that is a minus. My guess is is that Stepan could care less if he has 1 less point than the 7 million dollar guy and would much rather have the coaches trust, which i am pretty sure he has!!!!!
Seriously?

How about we we wait a full season before we start calling Richards a bust. Im still saying he's going to lead this team in points in the playoffs.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
  #139
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Go look at his playoff numbers, there not great!!

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
  #140
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
And there's a difference between calling him a bust and just saying he's not playing well.

You can't call a signing a bust after not even a full season yet. Can you criticize his play so far? Sure, I think everyone thinks he needs to play much better, but the Richard Haters are just calling this guy a bust and Gomez 2.0, when the season hasn't even been over yet.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #141
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Nash plays on the worst team in the NHL dude!!. I guess if you guys are happy with a 7 million dollar guy having 40 points and being a bust end of discussion. Call a spade a spade folks!!
Let's call a spade a spade. Last season, the Rangers were 8th, barely. They added Richards, a move that even the most ardent Richards supporters called just one piece of a still incomplete puzzle. Expectations were for a 4th-6th place season. The team is 1st in the East and has been, or right up there, for most of the season. There is only one significant difference between last year's roster and this year's roster: Richards.

I love how people are getting on him and the team for not being good enough, when they are having more success than anyone expected them to this season.

Let's call a spade a spade. Richards has spent most of his career playing with players like St. Louis on his wing, or Eriksson and Neal. He's spent most of this season playing with Callahan and either an offensively inept Dubinsky, Fedotenko, or a rookie Hagelin. Always putting up much of his points on PPs, he plays on one of the league's worst extra man advantage units, something that can hardly be blamed solely on him. The Rangers play an extremely conservative system, and his line routinely faces other team's top lines. It just doesn't make any sense to expect Richards' production to match his stats prior to coming here. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that there are very real circumstances causing Richards' numbers to decline this season, just as there is overwhelming evidence showing that his mere presence is the single biggest difference between last season's mediocrity and this season's success.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:44 AM
  #142
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Go look at his playoff numbers, there not great!!
His Conn Smythe award says hi.

Rangers Fail is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:50 AM
  #143
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Let's call a spade a spade. Last season, the Rangers were 8th, barely. They added Richards, a move that even the most ardent Richards supporters called just one piece of a still incomplete puzzle. Expectations were for a 4th-6th place season. The team is 1st in the East and has been, or right up there, for most of the season. There is only one significant difference between last year's roster and this year's roster: Richards.

I love how people are getting on him and the team for not being good enough, when they are having more success than anyone expected them to this season.

Let's call a spade a spade. Richards has spent most of his career playing with players like St. Louis on his wing, or Eriksson and Neal. He's spent most of this season playing with Callahan and either an offensively inept Dubinsky, Fedotenko, or a rookie Hagelin. Always putting up much of his points on PPs, he plays on one of the league's worst extra man advantage units, something that can hardly be blamed solely on him. The Rangers play an extremely conservative system, and his line routinely faces other team's top lines. It just doesn't make any sense to expect Richards' production to match his stats prior to coming here. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that there are very real circumstances causing Richards' numbers to decline this season, just as there is overwhelming evidence showing that his mere presence is the single biggest difference between last season's mediocrity and this season's success.
Sorry the difference is not Richards, it is a Vezina performace by Hank this season. Richards gives us a little depth at center now, yes, but not worth the 9 year deal we will be really suffering thru in a few years.

bubba5 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
  #144
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Sorry the difference is not Richards, it is a Vezina performace by Hank this season. Richards gives us a little depth at center now, yes, but not worth the 9 year deal we will be really suffering thru in a few years.
Lundqvist has been phenomenal every season of his NHL career. He was Vezina-worthy last season, too. The awful offense held this team back. Now, the offense, still far from great, is serviceable. The biggest reason for the improvement is Richards.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  #145
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Lundqvist has been phenomenal every season of his NHL career. He was Vezina-worthy last season, too. The awful offense held this team back. Now, the offense, still far from great, is serviceable. The biggest reason for the improvement is Richards.
He was very good, but not as good as this year and if I remember correctly, he did not really get it going until January last year. Every year he was a slow starter (for Hank that is)

bubba5 is offline  
Old
02-25-2012, 02:32 PM
  #146
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
People like you constantly heap praise upon Callahan and then don't realize he doesnt produce when Richards doesn't set him up with golden opportunities. Richards is a huge reason he's on pace for 60 points, but because our team has a ****ing horrendous offense past Richie, Cally, Gabby, Step and Arty, who besides Gaborik suck compared to Loui and Neal, Richie looks worse because for the first time in his career he's playing with guys who aren't very offensively skiled.

And before Feds is brought up, That's a few games not indicative of his career.

Our team has a subpar offense but because of guys like Richie and Gabby it's decent enough to win.
Here's a novel idea, how about instead of grouping all the posters who think Richards has been bad into one group, you actually do some research, instead of spewing incorrect statements.

I went through the Rangers box scores because I knew you were so so so wrong. Brad Richards has primarily assisted on 5 of Ryan Callahan's goals. That's right, the winger he's spent 95% of the season with as a linemate and on the power play with, has benefitted from Richards "golden opportunities" 5 ****ing times. Yet Callahan still has more goals then Louis Eriksson, who may be a better offensive player, but he's not some damn god compared to Callahan. Ryan Callahan, along with being the leader and sparkplug of this team, is a relentless forechecker, which gives his line much more puck possession as well.

There's a reason this team has finally made a creative play, for the first time since the lockout, and it involves Gaborik at the point passing the puck and not Richards, who was touted as a fantastic point presence.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now  
Old
02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
  #147
Rangers4Life74
Registered User
 
Rangers4Life74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
playoffs he will go into beast mode,book it

Rangers4Life74 is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
  #148
scanzzilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
His numbers aren't what we expected, but were a first place team with him as opposed to barely a playoff team last year without him. As far as I'm concerned the GWG in the classic gets him a pass till the playoffs.. something I'll never forget.

scanzzilla is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:32 AM
  #149
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,677
vCash: 500
I thought he was one of our best players all night long. His line was absolutely flying out there.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:39 AM
  #150
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,418
vCash: 500
um, ask me in 5 years? Or even 2? do we always have to go through this? trade MDZ! he's a bust! so what if he's 21 years old, he'll never recover from the sophmore slump.

n8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.