Notices

TNSE needs help running 'JETS' mistake #2042

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
JetsIce*

vCash: 500
TNSE needs help running 'JETS' mistake #2042

Moderators owe myself and a few others an apology. Yes I 'WE' knew what we were talking about.

And if you don't believe it (anyone else a doubter?) just ask Bobby Hull.

Mark Chipman and the rest of the TNSE should have named this team something other than 'JETS'.

It's getting tiring witnessing now the lack of class TNSE exhibits running a NHL team back in Winnipeg.

And from what I am hearing 'NEVER EVER EVER' expect guys like Bobby Hull, Keith Tkachuk, Hawerchuk to be apart of a grand ceromony or festivities surrounding the return of the Winnipeg Jets.

Dale Hawerchuk apparently was so hurt that he or any other former Jets (Shenkarow, Steen, Terry Simpson, Mike O'Hearn, Kurt Keilback,etc) he privately mentioned forget about me returning. He put on a brave face here in October on opening night.

The biggest mistake for TNSE is that they will do something next year or the year after but it will be too late. And it will feel like they are being pushed into doing so.

It should have occured on opening night and the entire week leading up to it. It was the return of the WINNIPEG JETS and the NHL to Winnipeg. Not a game about TNSE moving up to the NHL.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
JetsIce*

oh and ULF NILSSON, Randy Carlyle, and the former Jets russian advisor who was also a scout and part of Jets management in the '80s and '90s were in Winnipeg the past week.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

I actually agree with this in terms of honoring old Jets. They should get some recognition and hopefully still might in the future.

I understand TNSE position, but give the fans what they want. I personally would love to give those guys ovations at games they attend.

It will be extremely disappointing if your linkless quotes are true about people being offended. If we host a Heritage Classic sometime soon and all of these alumni decide to decline TNSE's invitation to play in an alumni game.

edit: disagree with the comment about the name. naming the team Jets was the best decision they have made besides buying a team and bringing it here.

Last edited by Becel: 02-25-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
02-25-2012, 12:47 PM
CTS

It was a mistake because they never included the ex jets in the opening ceremony?

Sorry but i disagree, probably was the best decision to call them the Jets.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
If that's your opinion, please do us all a favor and sell your season tickets (if you have any), drop the Jets as your team of choice, and find another teams board to post nonsense on.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Jets spokesman Scott Brown said the club will likely honour Hull and others in the future.

“We’ve been pretty clear this year that our focus has been on the current team and getting the organization up and running in our first season,” Brown said in an email. “There is plenty of time to acknowledge hockey history in the province, of which Bobby is a major part. It’s unfortunate that he feels somewhat slighted for whatever reasons.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/02/2...egend-left-out

Old
02-25-2012, 12:51 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIce View Post
Moderators owe myself and a few others an apology. Yes I 'WE' knew what we were talking about.

And if you don't believe it (anyone else a doubter?) just ask Bobby Hull.

Mark Chipman and the rest of the TNSE should have named this team something other than 'JETS'.

It's getting tiring witnessing now the lack of class TNSE exhibits running a NHL team back in Winnipeg.

And from what I am hearing 'NEVER EVER EVER' expect guys like Bobby Hull, Keith Tkachuk, Hawerchuk to be apart of a grand ceromony or festivities surrounding the return of the Winnipeg Jets.

Dale Hawerchuk apparently was so hurt that he or any other former Jets (Shenkarow, Steen, Terry Simpson, Mike O'Hearn, Kurt Keilback,etc) he privately mentioned forget about me returning. He put on a brave face here in October on opening night.

The biggest mistake for TNSE is that they will do something next year or the year after but it will be too late. And it will feel like they are being pushed into doing so.

It should have occured on opening night and the entire week leading up to it. It was the return of the WINNIPEG JETS and the NHL to Winnipeg. Not a game about TNSE moving up to the NHL.
Quote:
oh and ULF NILSSON, Randy Carlyle, and the former Jets russian advisor who was also a scout and part of Jets management in the '80s and '90s were in Winnipeg the past week.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...140407213.html

EDIT: Posted after this one but sentiment remains about OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Jets spokesman Scott Brown said the club will likely honour Hull and others in the future.

“We’ve been pretty clear this year that our focus has been on the current team and getting the organization up and running in our first season,” Brown said in an email. “There is plenty of time to acknowledge hockey history in the province, of which Bobby is a major part. It’s unfortunate that he feels somewhat slighted for whatever reasons.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/02/2...egend-left-out

Old
02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
JetsIce*

The club did show a video tribute of Hull and other former Jets at their home opener.

I love the fact TNSE admits they did something like showing Bobby Hull in a video tribute on opening night. It's like they think that is how to go all out with a Jets tribute. Considering they call themselves the Jets.

fyi - see if you can find how the North Stars and Wild merged and changed the landscape of Minnesota hockey. The Wild were ridiculed a month before the puck drop about how they were going to connect the North Stars to the Wild. And the fans went crazy and if you ever been to the arena in St. Paul. They have displays and memoribillia of that opening night ceremony.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
BennyTheJet

Mistake #2042? They are doing an unbelievable job with the amount of time they had. It's a slow process, and I think TNSE has done a great job getting this NHL team up and running. And where are you getting this information about ex-jets feeling jaded about not being recognized?

Old
02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
JetsIce*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
It was a mistake because they never included the ex jets in the opening ceremony?

Sorry but i disagree, probably was the best decision to call them the Jets.
TNSE didn't want to call them the Jets. Remember that first. The only reason why they did was because people like me and many of you kept the name and spirit alive since '96.

YES I LOVE the fact they call themselves 'Jets'. But im upset with TNSE approach.

It's not about bringing players in and cheering for them. It's about leaving the mark from the past Jets owners, players, coaches, management and special moments.

Get rid of the stupid moose and keane banners and put up the avco, stanley cup banner, steen, hull,etc. All that could have been done on opening night.

PERIOD.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
dgorsk

The point your missing is this is not the old jets, not the old owners, and not the old team. New jets, new history. I think TSNE have done a amazing job with the short time they had to get everything in order. If they want to do some cerimony next year then that would be great too, but i think it is just ludacris to think they would of had the time to prepare something in that short time frame that didnt look halfassed.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:00 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 2492

Old
02-25-2012, 01:01 PM
CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorsk View Post
The point your missing is this is not the old jets, not the old owners, and not the old team. New jets, new history. I think TSNE have done a amazing job with the short time they had to get everything in order. If they want to do some cerimony next year then that would be great too, but i think it is just ludacris to think they would of had the time to prepare something in that short time frame that didnt look halfassed.
Exactly

Old
02-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
This is not the same franchise that those players played for.

This was one of the primary reasons they did not want to rename the Thrashers to the Jets. The fan pressure to use the name "The Jets" was too powerful to ignore though.

While it is nice to honor some of them for what they did for hockey in the city of Winnipeg, they did this for the franchise sitting in Phoenix.

On top of this, of all players to complain about not "honoring", you choose the racist wife beating Bobby Hull. I would rather see him booed by the crowd on a jumbotron then cheered for.

Tired of people trying to hold onto a franchise history that doesn't belong to us anymore.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:05 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Get rid of the stupid moose and keane banners and put up the avco, stanley cup banner, steen, hull,etc. All that could have been done on opening night.

PERIOD.
Stanley cup banner?

And as stated, that's a different franchise. If we had gotten Phoenix all that would've been done.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:07 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I dont know what to think of this thread
TNSE has done a bang up job running things

I dont understand the beef's

Old
02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
TNSE didn't want to call them the Jets. Remember that first. The only reason why they did was because people like me and many of you kept the name and spirit alive since '96.

YES I LOVE the fact they call themselves 'Jets'. But im upset with TNSE approach.

It's not about bringing players in and cheering for them. It's about leaving the mark from the past Jets owners, players, coaches, management and special moments.

PERIOD.
We have a lot of Hab and Leaf fans in Winnipeg. Maybe we should just put up all the banners and player numbers from one of those teams. We have the same right to their history as the the history of the Pheonix Coyotes. NONE

Old
02-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
The point is the new team in Winnipeg is the "Jets", if you watch the games you see about 25% of the crowd wearing Jets 1.0 apparel, there is more connection with the old Jets than where the Jets 2.0 came from, nobody cares about their past history in the south.

Not having a seat for the original #9 was poor on TNSE.
Because 20% of them are too cheap to buy a jersey for the team they are actually cheering for, and 5% of them think it is "cool" to wear a old jersey.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1479
This is a different franchise that happens to have the same name. Nothing more, nothing less. When you think of NHL hockey in Winnipeg and Manitoba, you think of the Jets, plain and simple.

The only thing that TNSE could do to piss me off is if they started retiring Thrashers players jerseys for players that never played in Winnipeg (like Phoenix did with Hawerchuk). The last thing on Earth I would want to see if Illya Kovalchuk's jersey hanging in the rafters at the MTS Centre.

They can honour the former Jets at a later date, pretty hard to honour those members when such greats like Selanne and Khabibulin are still playing.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Stanley cup banner?
Well, Winnipeg did win the Stanley Cup in 1896.

That was as the Victorias, not the Jets. Which leads to:

Quote:
And as stated, that's a different franchise. If we had gotten Phoenix all that would've been done.
This. x3.

This franchise is Jets 2.0 because the fans wanted it that way, but the history of the franchise comes from Atlanta. Phoenix OWNS the history of the Jets 1.0, like it or not. In my opinion though, that's semantics - Winnipeg fans can honour the history of hockey in Winnipeg in any way they like, but it's trickier for a business that has no direct connection to the previous franchise in Winnipeg, and especially when the original franchise still exists.

PS: it sounds like TNSE does plan on honouring the original players, etc - in my opinion, better to do it right, honour the "history" of hockey in Winnipeg, than to do it half-****** and have it feel like lip-service.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Why is this confirmed with link..

Am I the only one wondering this.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
I fail to see the point of this thread or the direction it is headed.

Closed.

Closed Thread