HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Goalies

Old
02-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Bob is no longer waiver exempt, so unless the Flyers are "gauging interest" (lol), they can't send him to the AHL.
Really? Well then, we're ****ed.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:25 PM
puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
We can't get a goaltender.

We have Bryzgalov.

/thread.
Thats equal to saying: We made a mistake, so we have to make another one. Sure the Bryzgalov situation is bad, but that doesn't mean we have tp stay with it without trying to improve....

puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Go For It

Whether Bob or Enroth is better doesn't really matter. They're close enough in skill level that I don't think it's worth it for either team to give up any assets for the other, and a one-for-one swap doesn't make any sense either.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
Thats equal to saying: We made a mistake, so we have to make another one. Sure the Bryzgalov situation is bad, but that doesn't mean we have tp stay with it without trying to improve....
Unfortunately, in the cap world, that's exactly what it means.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:31 PM
puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Unfortunately, in the cap world, that's exactly what it means.
Not at all because the cap is for the WHOLE team, not for the goalie postition. You can add another goalie...you'll juste have 5M cap space less for forwards or defense...but 5 M less for 12 forwards is better than 5M less for 2 goalies.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Enroth: 39 GP. 17 wins, 13 losses, 5 OTL. .913 sv%, 2.74 gaa, 23 yrs old
Bobrovsky: 78 GP. 40 wins, 21 losses 9 OTL. .911 sv%, 2.71 gaa, 23 yrs old.

Dont really see where he is clearly the better goalie. Obviously thats only stats, but other than one being drafted, they are pretty similar. Enroth is only 5'10 though while Bob is 6'2.
Statswise, it's a wash.

Anyone here having any first hand experience on Enroth he likes to share? Personally, I haven't seen Enroth play - it's kinda hard to follow more than 1 team closely when you are living overseas like I do

Amongst the young quality backup goalies available that seem to be ready to jump right in now, Enroth might probably be more willing to stay in a backup/ 1B role behind Bryz than say Schneider. Could be a plus.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
puzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Statswise, it's a wash.

Anyone here having any first hand experience on Enroth he likes to share? Personally, I haven't seen Enroth play - it's kinda hard to follow more than 1 team closely when you are living overseas like I do

Amongst the young quality backup goalies available that seem to be ready to jump right in now, Enroth might probably be more willing to stay in a backup/ 1B role behind Bryz than say Schneider. Could be a plus.
For what I've seen this year, he's way better that Bob and is playing on a worst team. Stats are only stats. Enroth seems to compliment his team better. bobrovsky has talent but I think he kinds of fit weirdly on the team and has some problems with his position sometimes. Maybe a change of goalie coach would help, but right now I'd be more confident with enroth between our pipes.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Not at all because the cap is for the WHOLE team, not for the goalie postition. You can add another goalie...you'll juste have 5M cap space less for forwards or defense...but 5 M less for 12 forwards is better than 5M less for 2 goalies.
By acquiring another goalie and spending inherently less on skaters, you're just exacerbating the problem.

We're either stuck with Bryzgalov, or by some obscenely remote possibility, we move Bryz; at which point yes, we can acquire another goalie. With Bryz here though, there will be no more goalies.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You're Ed Snider, you promised your fan base that goaltending **** shows "will never happen again."

A month later you order your GM to trade assets for a goaltender that is an impending UFA. Trading your two franchise players under the rouse that they needed the cap space to do it.

8 months after that, you trade for a goaltender because neither of the first two were getting the job done.

Keep in mind, no one is really available, you've just traded for 2 UFA defensemen, among other roster errors (waiving Nodl, keeping Shelley, not sending Couturier back to juniors)

There are no options here.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Go For It

Quote:
You're Ed Snider, you promised your fan base that goaltending **** shows "will never happen again."

A month later you order your GM to trade assets for a goaltender that is an impending UFA. Trading your two franchise players under the rouse that they needed the cap space to do it.

8 months after that, you trade for a goaltender because neither of the first two were getting the job done.

Keep in mind, no one is really available, you've just traded for 2 UFA defensemen, among other roster errors (waiving Nodl, keeping Shelley, not sending Couturier back to juniors)

There are no options here.
Not to side track, but why do you think not sending Couturier back to juniors is a roster mistake? I thought he showed that he's good enough to play his current role at the NHL level and fill in a top 9 spot for injuries.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Not to side track, but why do you think not sending Couturier back to juniors is a roster mistake? I thought he showed that he's good enough to play his current role at the NHL level and fill in a top 9 spot for injuries.
We're not getting more out of him as an 18/19-year old than we would at 21. That's exactly why there are the Andreas Nodl's in the league.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
We're not getting more out of him as an 18/19-year old than we would at 21. That's exactly why there are the Andreas Nodl's in the league.

Right now, these two players are not even in the same galaxy. The Flyers don't have the spare parts just lying around in their system to replicate what Couturier has brought to the roster this year. That's why he stuck with the team.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
MagnumForce

Enroth is the only reason that the Sabres or at least their fanbase have thought about trading Ryan Miller for a sizeable return. I dont forsee a swap of backup goalies, the Sabres management is really high on Enroth. On another non related note, I was on a post and Flyer fan said Philly wants to move Briere. Is that true?

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Enroth is the only reason that the Sabres or at least their fanbase have thought about trading Ryan Miller for a sizeable return. I dont forsee a swap of backup goalies, the Sabres management is really high on Enroth. On another non related note, I was on a post and Flyer fan said Philly wants to move Briere. Is that true?
Philly fans, maybe. I haven't heard anything about the team trying to or wanting to move him.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Right now, these two players are not even in the same galaxy. The Flyers don't have the spare parts just lying around in their system to replicate what Couturier has brought to the roster this year. That's why he stuck with the team.
No, they're not in the same galaxy. Nodl is a 4th liner and Coots is not. That's why I want a 4th liner to play on the 4th line.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Thanks for your perspective. I thought the same about Enroth.

As for Briere, it's probably more accurate to say that a good number of Flyers fans want to move Briere. However, I really doubt he`d be ready to move his NMC, even for Buffalo.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
No, they're not in the same galaxy. Nodl is a 4th liner and Coots is not. That's why I want a 4th liner to play on the 4th line.
Couturier is staggeringly better no matter where you put him. 4th line or not, the Flyers don't have anyone else lying around who can do what he does.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Philly fans, maybe. I haven't heard anything about the team trying to or wanting to move him.
He was one of my favorite Sabres of that era. We should have never let him go. We could have kept him and let Vanek go to the Oilers for all those 1st round picks.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
MagnumForce

Another non related question: Do you guys want Ville Leino back? lol

Old
02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
mirimon

Quote:
I can see what you mean. Ideally we would have been keeping Couturier in the juniors to postpone when his ELC runs out. However

Quote:
I have to agree with this. Couturier is simply to important for this team to leave in the juniors. A 19 year-old shouldn't be the best defensive center on the team, but he is. It's too bad that we had to make two moves this season to shed ourselves of a contract (first the 6th+Legein to the Kings, and then waiving Nödl to "gauge interest"), and I think that the management was a bit surprised that Couturier looked so good in training camp. I don't think they had planned on him playing with the Flyers this year.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Couturier is staggeringly better no matter where you put him. 4th line or not, the Flyers don't have anyone else lying around who can do what he does.
They could have tried to find someone.

My point has nothing to do with his talent, it's is that for $1.375M on the cap, the team was better served sliding that extra year to when he'd have a bigger role on the team. Instead, Giroux, Schenn, Read (UFA), and Coots, need new contracts in the same off-season instead of Coots needing a new contract when Briere walks.

And he's getting run out on a struggling penalty kill when he's hit a rookie wall. Not good use of the first year of his contract.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I can see what you mean. Ideally we would have been keeping Couturier in the juniors to postpone when his ELC runs out. However
---

I have to agree with this. Couturier is simply to important for this team to leave in the juniors. A 19 year-old shouldn't be the best defensive center on the team, but he is. It's too bad that we had to make two moves this season to shed ourselves of a contract (first the 6th+Legein to the Kings, and then waiving Nödl to "gauge interest"), and I think that the management was a bit surprised that Couturier looked so good in training camp. I don't think they had planned on him playing with the Flyers this year.
Keeping Couturier down in Jr. just to delay his ELC is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

He MADE the team. Flat out came to camp and made the team. He'd dominated the Q for 2 straight years, he had nothing much to gain with another year of Jr. except some weight. I was in favour of sending him down before camp, but he made the top 12 so he'd in.

Sending him down after he made the team just to save a contract year would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If Blair Betts had been healthy, he might've forced them to send Couts down, but I'm glad they didn't. He's going to be a much better player at 21 because he'll be in his 3rd season - and he already plays like a veteran.

Guys like Nodl are dime a dozen. He was never the same after his concussion and he wasn't going to be playing. Rinaldo and Harry Z (and Sestito and Wellwood for that matter) beat him out of a spot.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
My point has nothing to do with his talent, it's is that for $1.375M on the cap, the team was better served sliding that extra year to when he'd have a bigger role on the team. Instead, Giroux, Schenn, Read (UFA), and Coots, need new contracts in the same off-season instead of Coots needing a new contract when Briere walks.

And he's getting run out on a struggling penalty kill when he's hit a rookie wall. Not good use of the first year of his contract.
Mindbogglingly inane arguments. Keep a kid in Jr because a few of them will need new contracts in a few years? Who knows if any of them will still BE here by then, or even after Monday?

Couturier is going to be a lynchpin of the team for the next decade, he made the team and the more experience he gets, the better. Sending him to Jr. just to slide the contract and postpone his ELC would have been a really stupid thing to do.

You're just overthinking this stuff. You pick your team out of camp and go with it. You don't stunt a future star's career for an accounting scam.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Keeping Couturier down in Jr. just to delay his ELC is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

He MADE the team. Flat out came to camp and made the team. He'd dominated the Q for 2 straight years, he had nothing much to gain with another year of Jr. except some weight. I was in favour of sending him down before camp, but he made the top 12 so he'd in.

Sending him down after he made the team just to save a contract year would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If Blair Betts had been healthy, he might've forced them to send Couts down, but I'm glad they didn't. He's going to be a much better player at 21 because he'll be in his 3rd season - and he already plays like a veteran.

Guys like Nodl are dime a dozen. He was never the same after his concussion and he wasn't going to be playing. Rinaldo and Harry Z (and Sestito and Wellwood for that matter) beat him out of a spot.
The 4th line isn't for the 10th, 11th and 12th best players, it's for the 3 best 4th liners.

Nodl's are a dime-a-dozen. That's why they're 4th liners. Our floundering PK misses him.

Old
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Another non related question: Do you guys want Ville Leino back? lol
nope

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote