HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

"Roy to the Preds"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 12:39 PM
  #26
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
If you do a search, you'll get about 5 or so threads which were started within the last couple months.
More like that past couple of days. Everyone thinks they will get a shot of him.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:04 PM
  #27
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,164
vCash: 500
I think people need to understand: Roy is the ONLY top 6 center in the entire organization.

For Buffalo to trade from a position of weakness will take a massive overpayment INCLUDING a top 6 center (or a blue-chip center prospect).

Buffalo would need Wilson to make it worthwhile. Nashville would be idiots to trade Wilson. Ergo, there is no trade to be made.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
  #28
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I think people need to understand: Roy is the ONLY top 6 center in the entire organization.

For Buffalo to trade from a position of weakness will take a massive overpayment INCLUDING a top 6 center (or a blue-chip center prospect).

Buffalo would need Wilson to make it worthwhile. Nashville would be idiots to trade Wilson. Ergo, there is no trade to be made.
Have to agree here.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:20 PM
  #29
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That was a good one. If Regier wants Wilson, he can, among other things, go jump in a lake.

Seriously?

Because it would take more than Colin Wilson to land Derek Roy.

Hate to break the news to you, but that is a fact.

That isn't a bash against your team. You guys have a very good team but you are over valuing Colin Wilson in a big way.

If Regier only landed Wilson for Roy I'd be extremely angry.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:23 PM
  #30
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,322
vCash: 500
I don't see it as over valuing at all. In a vacume, I'd say it's about even.

Wilson, though, is Nashville's best top-6 and is young, and is only getting better. The Preds traded up in the draft to get him and he's been brought up through the system. His value to the team is too big.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:25 PM
  #31
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Seriously?

Because it would take more than Colin Wilson to land Derek Roy.

Hate to break the news to you, but that is a fact.

That isn't a bash against your team. You guys have a very good team but you are over valuing Colin Wilson in a big way.

If Regier only landed Wilson for Roy I'd be extremely angry.
Wilson is 21, playing far better than Roy this year, is a beast physically, and has years ahead of him under team control. Roy is a struggling, undersized forward, on a lame duck team this year, signed for one more year, making 5.5 million bucks. Be real. There is no way that Roy equals Wilson this year.

Don't get me wrong, Roy has been a very good forward for several years now, but he is coming off an injury plagued 2010-2011 season while simultaneously putting in a pedestrian 2011-2012 season. 2 years ago, I would agree. Now, not so much. The Sabres as an organization are in a different place as well.

I peg Roy's value as roughly akin to Mike Fisher's last year. Fortunately for the Sabres, this is a seller's market. Instead of the first and conditional third/2nd. It will likely be a first, conditional third/second, and a top 3-6 prospect.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
  #32
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Wilson is 21, playing far better than Roy this year, is a beast physically, and has years ahead of him under team control. Roy is a struggling, undersized forward, on a lame duck team this year, signed for one more year, making 5.5 million bucks. Be real. There is no way that Roy equals Wilson this year.

Don't get me wrong, Roy has been a very good forward for several years now, but he is coming off an injury plagued 2010-2011 season while simultaneously putting in a pedestrian 2011-2012 season. 2 years ago, I would agree. Now, not so much. The Sabres as an organization are in a different place as well.

I peg Roy's value as roughly akin to Mike Fisher's last year. Fortunately for the Sabres, this is a seller's market. Instead of the first and conditional third/2nd. It will likely be a first, conditional third/second, and a top 3-6 prospect.
First, Wilson is 22, not 21.

Derek Roy played in the NHL while he was a youngster as well. If you compare their first three seasons against each other, Roy's were much better. Also, Roy has been playing some real good hockey the last few weeks. It is believed that the injury he suffered last year took some time to completely come back from.

Roy was a point a game player last season before the injury and his recent games look like he is completely back to form.

Also, Roy is only 28 and there is no reason to believe that he can't continue to be a 70 point a year player for quite some time.

I'm not taking anything away from Wilson but I believe his high draft status is a big reason he is being over valued. Can't say that I wouldn't feel the same if he played for my team but I am trying to be honest.

You have a an extremely solid team and I wish you well this spring.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  #33
Armond White
Go Sabres!
 
Armond White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oakland Zoo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Wilson is 21, playing far better than Roy this year, is a beast physically, and has years ahead of him under team control. Roy is a struggling, undersized forward, on a lame duck team this year, signed for one more year, making 5.5 million bucks. Be real. There is no way that Roy equals Wilson this year.
And yet Roy has more points than Wilson. Wilson is viewed as more valuable than Roy because Roy hasn't lived up to higher expectations this season, while Wilson has been a pleasant addition under largely tempered expectations. That doesn't make him the better player.

(This isn't an endorsement of Nashville trading away Wilson.)

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  #34
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
And yet Roy has more points than Wilson. Wilson is viewed as more valuable than Roy because Roy hasn't lived up to higher expectations this season, while Wilson has been a pleasant addition under largely tempered expectations. That doesn't make him the better player.

(This isn't an endorsement of Nashville trading away Wilson.)
Trotz has used Wilson in both top and bottom 6 roles this year. He spent significant time playing alongside the likes of Tootoo and Spaling (which was, amazingly, our best line for about a month), and gets very little time on the PP.

That said, I believe Roy to be a better offensive player now, and probably in the future, but Wilson has developed into an incredibly valuable two-way forward, and I think his production will only go up as he gets more significant minutes in an offensive role.

Also worth saying, if I was Buffalo, Wilson would need to be a return for me to give up Roy, and as a Nashville fan, that's just a price I'm not willing to pay.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
  #35
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Trotz has used Wilson in both top and bottom 6 roles this year. He spent significant time playing alongside the likes of Tootoo and Spaling (which was, amazingly, our best line for about a month), and gets very little time on the PP.

That said, I believe Roy to be a better offensive player now, and probably in the future, but Wilson has developed into an incredibly valuable two-way forward, and I think his production will only go up as he gets more significant minutes in an offensive role.

Also worth saying, if I was Buffalo, Wilson would need to be a return for me to give up Roy, and as a Nashville fan, that's just a price I'm not willing to pay.
Good post and points.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:04 PM
  #36
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
And yet Roy has more points than Wilson. Wilson is viewed as more valuable than Roy because Roy hasn't lived up to higher expectations this season, while Wilson has been a pleasant addition under largely tempered expectations. That doesn't make him the better player.

(This isn't an endorsement of Nashville trading away Wilson.)
Roy has 3 more points, all assists. Meanwhile, Wilson has 5 game winning goals (Roy none), and Wilson is a +5/Roy is a -6. Look, statistically they are comparable, and this is with Wilson playing on the third line or below for at least half the year before finally gaining Trotz's trust. Roy very well may outscore Wilson over the next few years, but I doubt it will be by much. I also know that Wilson will provide an element to the team that Roy will never be able to match, while being far cheaper with at least 4 more years of team control vs. 1.

Wilson holds more value than Derek Roy right now for those reasons. I like Roy. I have been a huge supporter of bringing him to the Predators, but dealing Wilson for him, not to mention adding more, is lunacy and a coup for the Sabres.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
  #37
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Roy has 3 more points, all assists. Meanwhile, Wilson has 5 game winning goals (Roy none), and Wilson is a +5/Roy is a -6. Look, statistically they are comparable, and this is with Wilson playing on the third line or below for at least half the year before finally gaining Trotz's trust. Roy very well may outscore Wilson over the next few years, but I doubt it will be by much. I also know that Wilson will provide an element to the team that Roy will never be able to match, while being far cheaper with at least 4 more years of team control vs. 1.

Wilson holds more value than Derek Roy right now for those reasons. I like Roy. I have been a huge supporter of bringing him to the Predators, but dealing Wilson for him, not to mention adding more, is lunacy and a coup for the Sabres.
Who do you value more Wilson or Craig Smith?

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
  #38
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Who do you value more Wilson or Craig Smith?
I hate to use it, but...Wilson, AINEC. I think Smith is still adjusting to the rigors of an NHL season. He played a very valuable role for us early on, but hasn't been the same since he blew that 2-foot empty netter. He also hasn't gotten the top 6 TOI either. Wilson is strong on both ends of the ice, is a more physical presence, and is noticeable (in the good ways) even when he's not scoring.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:39 PM
  #39
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
First, Wilson is 22, not 21.

Derek Roy played in the NHL while he was a youngster as well. If you compare their first three seasons against each other, Roy's were much better. Also, Roy has been playing some real good hockey the last few weeks. It is believed that the injury he suffered last year took some time to completely come back from.

Roy was a point a game player last season before the injury and his recent games look like he is completely back to form.

Also, Roy is only 28 and there is no reason to believe that he can't continue to be a 70 point a year player for quite some time.

I'm not taking anything away from Wilson but I believe his high draft status is a big reason he is being over valued. Can't say that I wouldn't feel the same if he played for my team but I am trying to be honest.

You have a an extremely solid team and I wish you well this spring.
The part I have in bold means nothing to this potential deal. If we were comparing the careers of two players to decide who was better, sure, but we are talking value of two players. The past does not matter anymore. It's right now and the future that matter. Right now I just don't see Wilson for Roy being a good trade for the Preds. Nashville is a very young team finding a new identity that it will run with for the next four or five seasons. Wilson fits into that perfectly. We do not know if Roy will fit into it or not. I'd rather keep Wilson and look elsewhere for a forward.

And I know the discussion has been good and on topic for the last bit, but I want to reiterate that a thread about Eklund is not an invitation to bag on Eklund. Keep your opinions of him to yourself. We're getting tired of having to warn people.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:29 PM
  #40
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,572
vCash: 500
Roy is better than Wilson right now. In the future, Wilson may be better than Roy, but Roy is the superior player at the moment, and the Preds would like to win now, before they lose Suter or Weber. It won't happen, but it would be fair.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
  #41
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I hate to use it, but...Wilson, AINEC. I think Smith is still adjusting to the rigors of an NHL season. He played a very valuable role for us early on, but hasn't been the same since he blew that 2-foot empty netter. He also hasn't gotten the top 6 TOI either. Wilson is strong on both ends of the ice, is a more physical presence, and is noticeable (in the good ways) even when he's not scoring.
Wilson sounds like the type of player I would like the Sabres to acquire, but in Buffalo's situation, they are more in need of a Center especially if they dealt Roy. Would Nashville consider, Smith and a 1st for Roy? It wont happen but just for argument sake? It seems that if Roy were to get traded, Chicago would probably willing to give the most return for him at least in terms of prospects. Chicago also needs a defenseman and we could send Weber or Leopold in the deal.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
  #42
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Roy is better than Wilson right now. In the future, Wilson may be better than Roy, but Roy is the superior player at the moment, and the Preds would like to win now, before they lose Suter or Weber. It won't happen, but it would be fair.
The problem is that the gulf isn't that great. Wilson's been on the third line for defensive inadequacy and playing with offensive plugs for most of the season. I don't think it will be all that long before they're at least equal players, but trading Wilson for Roy is too near a lateral move to make sense.

I think Craig Smith would be a much better chance for the Sabres, if a first, a third and someone like Austin Watson didn't cut it

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
  #43
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The problem is that the gulf isn't that great. Wilson's been on the third line for defensive inadequacy and playing with offensive plugs for most of the season. I don't think it will be all that long before they're at least equal players, but trading Wilson for Roy is too near a lateral move to make sense.

I think Craig Smith would be a much better chance for the Sabres, if a first, a third and someone like Austin Watson didn't cut it
It probably won't be that long, I agree, but if the Preds want to win now, they might consider this... A 1st, 3rd, and Watson might work, but isn't Watson a RW?

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
  #44
burgess1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugLife978 View Post
Colin Wilson.
1) Wilson's a winger
2) Wilson's value > Roy's value

Roy only has one year left before he's a UFA, so it's a nice contract to pick up for Nashville.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:31 PM
  #45
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,300
vCash: 500
I don't see them trading Wilson for Roy when Roy is a UFA after next season. Wilson will give them quite a few years of good play at a good price before he qualifies as a UFA. You might trade that for a Roy-like player with 3+ years left on his contract, but not one year, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
Wasn't it just a day ago Eklund said Hemsky was going to the Preds?
No, he had the Preds showing a lot of interest in Hemsky and trying to trade for him. Ultimately, the Oilers chose to keep him. Now, with Hemsky unavailable, the Preds have turned their attention to Roy, instead. I'm not sure what about this doesn't make sense.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
  #46
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
How can I know how HFboards decide if a source is reliable or not?

Not a troll post, but I'd really like to know about the criteria.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
  #47
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
1) Wilson's a winger
2) Wilson's value > Roy's value

Roy only has one year left before he's a UFA, so it's a nice contract to pick up for Nashville.
Wilson is a center, until the Preds.
Don't see the trade working for the Preds to move Wilson now.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:17 PM
  #48
Ruman Ndur
Registered User
 
Ruman Ndur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
How can I know how HFboards decide if a source is reliable or not?

Not a troll post, but I'd really like to know about the criteria.
Pinned post on main page.

Ruman Ndur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
  #49
burgess1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Wilson is a center, until the Preds.
Don't see the trade working for the Preds to move Wilson now.
Plenty of guys play centre in jnuior and then become wingers. That is Wilson. My point there is that Buffalo wouldn't want/need Wilson because he's not an NHL centre, and also that Nashville wouldn't move him for Roy because his value is higher (21 year old former top 10 pick who is having a very good year > a guy who will be a UFA in 16 months)

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
  #50
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
FWIW, Roy makes 4.0 not 5.5.....huge bargain for the play you get from him for the most part....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.