HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 days in NYC...review of Rangers Fans...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
  #1
Step
GO SENS GO
 
Step's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
3 days in NYC...review of Rangers Fans...

Not sure if you guys get this all the time on your board, but my wife and I stayed in NYC this past week for 3 days. Having visited a number of American cities I can say that the the hockey fans can be somewhat hard to find. Not so in The City. Even in the middle of "Lin-Sanity" I came across hundreds of folks with Rangers sweaters everywhere (ranging from Messier and Gretzky to Girardi and Callahan jerseys). We had a wicked meal at The Flying Puck pub (during the Rangers-Penguins game) and hung out and met lots of really informed and super passionate fans. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. Also checked out Wee Molly's pub (based on reco's on your board here) - great little hockey pub.

Gotta say, super impressed with the passionate and intelligent (one guy we met even knew Ottawa's 6 forwards on our two top lines) Rangers fans in the city. It's weird coming across hockey fans where people are opinionated and rowdy without coming off like **********. We had an awesome time.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
  #2
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Well thank you kind sir

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
  #3
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Was that you?

I promise I'll send your watch back.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
  #4
GodlyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Not sure if you guys get this all the time on your board, but my wife and I stayed in NYC this past week for 3 days. Having visited a number of American cities I can say that the the hockey fans can be somewhat hard to find. Not so in The City. Even in the middle of "Lin-Sanity" I came across hundreds of folks with Rangers sweaters everywhere (ranging from Messier and Gretzky to Girardi and Callahan jerseys). We had a wicked meal at The Flying Puck pub (during the Rangers-Penguins game) and hung out and met lots of really informed and super passionate fans. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. Also checked out Wee Molly's pub (based on reco's on your board here) - great little hockey pub.

Gotta say, super impressed with the passionate and intelligent (one guy we met even knew Ottawa's 6 forwards on our two top lines) Rangers fans in the city. It's weird coming across hockey fans where people are opinionated and rowdy without coming off like **********. We had an awesome time.

The Flying Puck is the best, I am there for every game. Cheers

GodlyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
  #5
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Grazie!!!

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:39 PM
  #6
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Not sure if you guys get this all the time on your board, but my wife and I stayed in NYC this past week for 3 days. Having visited a number of American cities I can say that the the hockey fans can be somewhat hard to find. Not so in The City. Even in the middle of "Lin-Sanity" I came across hundreds of folks with Rangers sweaters everywhere (ranging from Messier and Gretzky to Girardi and Callahan jerseys). We had a wicked meal at The Flying Puck pub (during the Rangers-Penguins game) and hung out and met lots of really informed and super passionate fans. The atmosphere in that place is awesome. Also checked out Wee Molly's pub (based on reco's on your board here) - great little hockey pub.

Gotta say, super impressed with the passionate and intelligent (one guy we met even knew Ottawa's 6 forwards on our two top lines) Rangers fans in the city. It's weird coming across hockey fans where people are opinionated and rowdy without coming off like **********. We had an awesome time.
Likewise I found the fans in Ottawa to be the friendliest in Canada when I visited. It just took me two hours to get back to the hotel after the game, lol.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:41 PM
  #7
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Best NYR bars:
The Flying Puck
Stout
Cafe 31
Blarney Stone

if you ever come back

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
  #8
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,979
vCash: 500
You're welcome back any time

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
  #9
Step
GO SENS GO
 
Step's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Best NYR bars:
The Flying Puck
Stout
Cafe 31
Blarney Stone

if you ever come back
Thanks man, we'll definitely be back and I'll store those for later use

And Megustaelhockey, I agree...getting back downtown in Ottawa is a serious pain in the ass. I loved going to the Flying Puck/4 other places after the game (10 beers in, can't really remember lol) and paying 10 bucks in a cab to our hotel in the West Village. Took like 5 minutes. I'm super envious of you guys in that city...you have it REALLY good. Can't wait to go back.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
  #10
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Another place near MSG to check out is the Triple Crown. A few blocks down from the Flying puck. Not a hockey bar, but much better food, good beer, and not as packed as the above places named. I've parked my car on 31st at 6pm, went to the bar, got served and had no problem being in my seat for the anthem(s).

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
  #11
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Thanks man, we'll definitely be back and I'll store those for later use

And Megustaelhockey, I agree...getting back downtown in Ottawa is a serious pain in the ass. I loved going to the Flying Puck/4 other places after the game (10 beers in, can't really remember lol) and paying 10 bucks in a cab to our hotel in the West Village. Took like 5 minutes. I'm super envious of you guys in that city...you have it REALLY good. Can't wait to go back.
You would be upset if you see what we pay in rent.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
  #12
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
You would be upset if you see what we pay in rent.
Or pay for a daily train ticket.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:04 PM
  #13
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Or pay for a daily train ticket.
that too .. I take the express bus into Manhattan every day for work ... that **** gets expensive ($11.00 a day round trip).

Not to mention lunches and what a beer costs. UGH. I need to hit the lotto.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:03 AM
  #14
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
NYC is the greatest place in the World. Unfortunately a lot of people take it for granted. The famous saying is "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" just as Joe Namath, Mark Messier, Eli Manning etc. those guys are set forever based on their performance in the Big Apple!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:04 PM
  #15
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Thanks man, we'll definitely be back and I'll store those for later use

And Megustaelhockey, I agree...getting back downtown in Ottawa is a serious pain in the ass. I loved going to the Flying Puck/4 other places after the game (10 beers in, can't really remember lol) and paying 10 bucks in a cab to our hotel in the West Village. Took like 5 minutes. I'm super envious of you guys in that city...you have it REALLY good. Can't wait to go back.

No matter how big of a hockey fan you are, if you come to the city and only go to sports bars your wasting your visit to the greatest city in the world.

Better to come here once and do it right than come 5 times on the cheap. Really.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  #16
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
No matter how big of a hockey fan you are, if you come to the city and only go to sports bars your wasting your visit to the greatest city in the world.

Better to come here once and do it right than come 5 times on the cheap. Really.
Also, NY never really has a "down time" ... the summer is pretty expensive for travel and so is the fall/winter. I would say if there is any time where it's cheap to travel to NY it would be around now (FEB-MAY)

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
  #17
WeWillWinTonight
Registered User
 
WeWillWinTonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
Awesome Glad you enjoyed it

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
  #18
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Also, NY never really has a "down time" ... the summer is pretty expensive for travel and so is the fall/winter. I would say if there is any time where it's cheap to travel to NY it would be around now (FEB-MAY)
No, spring is pretty bad too. I'd say the best time would likely be starting about a week after New Year's through maybe the end of March.

In any event, as others have said - glad you had a good time. Welcome back any time. We love other hockey fans as long as they're not arrogant (e.g. MTL) or thuggish (e.g. PHI).

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:30 PM
  #19
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
No, spring is pretty bad too. I'd say the best time would likely be starting about a week after New Year's through maybe the end of March.

In any event, as others have said - glad you had a good time. Welcome back any time. We love other hockey fans as long as they're not arrogant (e.g. MTL) or thuggish (e.g. PHI).
I've actually met a lot of great people from Montreal .. Philly on the other hand ... meh.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  #20
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Best NYR bars:
The Flying Puck
Stout
Cafe 31
Blarney Stone

if you ever come back
Van diemens better than all of those. Always sound and fans

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
  #21
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Van diemens better than all of those. Always sound and fans
Never been there

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.