HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline 2012: All non-credible rumors/trade talk here

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I wonder if Molson stepped in before/after the Kaberle deal.
Tony said since December.

Kaberle was acquired and Martin was fired in december. Sounds like Molson wanted to save the season.

Also explains why Gauthier kept correcting himself to "I" when he said "we" fired martin.

Martin should have never been fired.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
soo anti-climatic.
Assuming Tony's story is right, it's not anti-clamatic at all. Most GMs are left alone to do their things. Owners do not get involved, if they do, assuming in this case it's true, Gauthier's days are over.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:01 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Not overly surprising.

I'm willing to bet that Pierre mcGuire has been one of the ppl "advising" Molson.

Old
overlords
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

So nobody's going to photoshop PG's face onto the Queen of England picture? You guys disappoint me.

Old
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
The news tat Molson is doing the GM duties (not just saying Ok to trades, but acting as a defacto GM) is about as good as if one of us had been given the job ..

It is not the same to say that your owner approves all moves than to say he is acting as the General Manager .. entirely different thing
So then why is the owner of a beer company running and managing a hockey team? That's my question.

Old
Galchenyuk27
Fire Therrien

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Why is everyone acting as if this isn't news? I mean, sure, we all saw it coming, but now we KNOW that Gauthier isn't coming back next year. There was still some doubt to that.

This is good news in my book.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO that's actually a big deal, if true. I understand wanting to wait until the offseason to hire a GM, to have more candidates available. Doesn't hiring an interim, like the Leafs with Fletcher, make sense? More than having a guy who has never worked in hockey, whose only qualification is being rich, take over hockey operations?

Making a GM explain his decisions to the owner has some logic. To make sure the GM actually has a rationale behind his moves that he can put into words, to make sure he answers to someone. IMO an owner actually making moves himself is another thing altogether.
what doesn't make sense is keeping PG in place and not, as you suggested, hiring an interim, or at the very least canning PG and making it public that Gainey is running the show (i'm assuming that if Molson put the clamps on PG decision making, he's got Gainey in his ear as the filter in the decisions they've made).

much like the JM firing/RC hiring, this whole mess is being handled miserably from top to bottom.

Old
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So nobody's going to photoshop PG's face onto the Queen of England picture? You guys disappoint me.
I'm too busy trying to figure out if there's a way to get Tony barred from every reporting on the Habs.

Old
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
OK let's break it down.

It's not:

A trade: He would have tweeted it right away before anyone else could or before it was announced. He wouldn't wait for the sports segment of the 6 o'clock news to announce it.

A contract extension or firing: Same principle. Someone else could get the info just as quick.

It could be:

A locker room skirmish: He's been known to break these every once in a while. But doesn't seem like something to go on the news for. He could simply talk about it on the pre or post game show tomorrow or on his regular show Monday.

Markov: Something to do with Markov. IMO it wouldn't be huge news if anything was wrong with Markov. Guy hasn't played hockey in 15 months. It could still be this however.

A future move in the organization: A change that is going to happen after the season or deadline in respect to the front office/coaching staff. Being that it wouldn't be announced anytime soon he could talk about it on TV.

My guess it's one of the latter 2. He spoke about Molson knowing things need to change on last nights post-game. He probably got some tidbits from someone and is going to postulate on it.
Me=Insider.

Old
PyrettaBlaze

I guess that's why Gauthier didn't speak after the Gill trade and why Gainey was in the press box last night while Gauthier was no where to be seen.

Old
loudi94
Master of my Domain

This owner is going to be the death of the franchise unless he backs the **** off. Pay the bills and cheer on the team, but stay away from the operations.

Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Why is everyone acting as if this isn't news? I mean, sure, we all saw it coming, but now we KNOW that Gauthier isn't coming back next year. There was still some doubt to that.

True. Good news nonetheless. Hopefully this time they actually "turn over every rock" to find the next guy.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Tony said since December.

Kaberle was acquired and Martin was fired in december. Sounds like Molson wanted to save the season.

Also explains why Gauthier kept correcting himself to "I" when he said "we" fired martin.

Martin should have never been fired.
I don't think Molson said "Hey, go get Kaberle"

I think he might have said "I don't want to tank" or Pierre approached him about the Kabs deal and he OK'd it. I find it hard to believe that Molson handpicked Kaberle.

Old
Andy

I always suspected the sky was blue. Thank God Tony confirmed it. This is huge news.

Old
HomaridII

Quote:

Good news that someone without an ounce of hockey experience and who was a "fan" of the team when he bought it is now acting as our GM?

This is not good news at all.

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

All u people acting like this is a non-issue are beyond oblivious. Were a few hours away from the trade deadline and sellers. THe decision that will be made in the next hours will affect the future of this team and guess what, the owner, who is pretty much unexperienced as a GM is calling the shots.

FFS this board is ruled by 13 year olds, I know it.

Old
Protest the Hero

Quote:

Good news that we now have no one with GM experience making decisions two days before the trade deadline when we have assets we need to trade?

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
I doubt Molson is acting as GM. He's probably forcing gauthier into a direction after the first half of the season was crap. I highly doubt Molson is working the phones.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:04 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I understand why they would want a change in the offseason, the team needs a new face. But what moves has Gauthier done that have perpetuated being set aside days before the deadline? The Gill trade was good, so was the Cammalleri trade. Were those done by Pierre?

And wouldn't Molson have the final say anyway? It's his investment. I doubt Gauthier would make a trade without advising the owner and getting approval first.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:05 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I wonder if Molson stepped in before/after the Kaberle deal.
After most likley, i don't think he liked that move and didn't see eye to eye with PG and Martin with that one.

IMO Molson showing he has no plan and all "Want", a bit like most habs fan. Sad.

Old
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I doubt Molson is acting as GM. He's probably forcing gauthier into a direction after the first half of the season was crap. I highly doubt Molson is working the phones.
If PG has to get approval by Molson, then it's a problem. If there's some kind of consensus by committee thing going on, that's OK.

Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
All u people acting like this is a non-issue are beyond oblivious. Were a few hours away from the trade deadline and sellers. THe decision that will be made in the next hours will affect the future of this team and guess what, the owner, who is pretty much unexperienced as a GM is calling the shots.

FFS this board is ruled by 13 year olds, I know it.
I think people need to calm down. Molson is not going to go out and make a trade. Hes just not gonna let PG make a franchise changing move like trading Subban or prospects. Everything has to go through him now and he has to ok it. Before as Tony said the Gm had full authority.

Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
So then why is the owner of a beer company running and managing a hockey team? That's my question.
The guy is not manning the phones, LOL. He just needs to be OK'd on any deals going forward. This is done when you have a lame duck GM.

Old
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
My couch knew about this.
Lol , that was a complete laugh out loud

Old
HomaridII

To me this means Gainey and Mcguire are having a big say in what this team does the next two days .. it is common knowledge they are tight with our new GM, Geoff Molson

Closed Thread