HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 5

Old
02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
I'm guessing San Jose is not on his list. I've read both during all this though.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Anyway, back on topic, looks like with what Nash's agent is saying... Howson will not have any leverage at all come draft time. Heatley situation 2.0. Howson better unload now.
I still don't agree with that...it'll be the same teams that he's willing to go to now, his list isn't gonna shrink.

Lets just say the Rangers would like Nash - if Dubi is in fact someone Howson wants, along w/ Hagelin/Stepan - maybe Sather is OK with the value but doesn't want to mess with team chemistry right now. I certainly don't think that Nash will get them any closer to the cup than Dubinsky & Hagelin/Stepan, but it can certainly set them back if he doesn't fit in right away.

I think the big hold up here is Columbus isn't going to come down on their 'asking price', and they really shouldn't. If Columbus can get Dubi, Hagelin, Erixon and a pick that's a pretty good return.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I'm guessing San Jose is not on his list. I've read both during all this though.
I'm guessing SJ is on his list. If Howson won't back down from wanting Pavelski and Wilson won't trade him, there's not much else that Columbus should want from the Sharks.

Seems to be a game of chicken between Howson and who ever it is bidding on Nash.

Old
02-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I still don't agree with that...it'll be the same teams that he's willing to go to now, his list isn't gonna shrink.

Lets just say the Rangers would like Nash - if Dubi is in fact someone Howson wants, along w/ Hagelin/Stepan - maybe Sather is OK with the value but doesn't want to mess with team chemistry right now. I certainly don't think that Nash will get them any closer to the cup than Dubinsky & Hagelin/Stepan, but it can certainly set them back if he doesn't fit in right away.

I think the big hold up here is Columbus isn't going to come down on their 'asking price', and they really shouldn't. If Columbus can get Dubi, Hagelin, Erixon and a pick that's a pretty good return.
He alluded to it shrinking, McKenzie even acknowledged it.

Points still stand:

Is it fair to say, Nash asked for a trade in the nicest way possible? Probably.
Is it fair to say, Nash is already getting irritated at the trade talk? This statement is his answer to that it seems. Reading between the lines, "hurry the **** up"

Are the teams bidding going to have other potential, better fitting options in the offseason? Absolutely.

It might be the same teams bidding, but I doubt NYR will be chomping at the bit as much as they are about Nash when Parise is potentially available.

Sure, a playoff team expected to contend can suddenly see decide they want Nash, but does he want him?

I'll stand by my statement, Nash is the only big time difference maker at the deadline. That desperation won't be there come draft time. Howson can't sit there and pray a team gets desperate for Nash after a dissapointing POs. Howson also can't sit there and let his Captain, who's been a great sport about it, run out of patience. I'll happily admit to it if I'm wrong.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
do0glas

Howson loses a lot of leverage in the off season I think.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
This is the last day that they can place a guy on waivers to open up a roster spot if a team is going to acquire players at the deadline where it requires roster space. It will have NHL offices doing double time to inform GMs if claims have been submitted.
Cap room, yes. Roster spot, no.

If a team acquires a player via trade, they can designate another player as Non-Roster while waiting the 24/48 hrs for waivers to clear on him, opening up a spot on the 23-man Active Roster - however the Non-Roster player continues to count against the cap until claimed or loaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 16.12(b)
(b) If, as a result of: (i) a Player ("Player A") returning to a Club's Active
Roster from Injured Reserve, or (ii) a Club acquiring a Player ("Player A") via a Trade or
Waiver claim, the Club would exceed its twenty-three (23) man Active Roster limit then,
at the time the Player ("Player A")
returns to the Club's Active Roster (in the case of (i))
or is added to the Club's Active Roster (in the case of (ii)), the Club may request Waivers
on a different Player ("Player B") and also the Club can simultaneously request Non-
Roster status for such "Player B."
Such request shall be made in writing by facsimile to
Central Registry, with a copy to the NHLPA, all in accordance with Exhibit 3. Upon
approval of the Commissioner, such "Player B" will be removed from the Club's Active
Roster and the Club may replace such "Player B" with "Player A" on its Active Roster
pending the expiration of the Waiver period set forth in Section 13.18. During the period
of time "Player B" is granted Non-Roster status, both "Player A's" and "Player B's"
Player Salary and Bonuses are included in the Club's Actual and Averaged Club Salary
and the Players' Share for purposes of Article 50. At the conclusion of the Waiver period
for such "Player B," if he has not been claimed, the Club must immediately (i.e. that day)
Loan "Player B" to the Minors.
edit:

[Emily Litella]
Nevermind.
[/Emily Litella]

Roster space is a moot point - the 23 man Active Roster limit goes away after the trade deadline.

edit 2:

But today is also the last day to waive a player in order to loan him to the AHL. After the Trade Deadline players may no longer be loaned to the minor leagues - except for players recalled after the trade deadline or players recalled under emergency recall

C&P from the main board waiver thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherith Cutestory View Post
Dumb question, but can a player be waived after Monday's trade deadline (3:00pm EST)?

For example, if Ottawa were to grab a goalie (if one were to put be on waivers today), and then Anderson comes back in 2 weeks, could they waive Auld at that point?
Yes & No. He could be waived then (and potentially claimed), but he could not be loaned. He would remain on Ottawa's Active Roster - the 23-man limit goes away after the trade deadline - and Ottawa would be stuck with his cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I don't like answering these kind of questions unless I know for sure, but I'm almost positive that after the deadline waivers don't start up again until the offseason.

I may very well be wrong though.
Waivers are still in effect for the remainder of the season, however after the Trade Deadline players may no longer be loaned to the minor leagues - except for players recalled after the trade deadline or players recalled under emergency recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.12
(j) A Player may be Loaned to a club of any league affiliated with the League
at any time up to 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately
preceding the final day of the Regular Season (the "Trade Deadline"). Following this
period only the Player or Players who have been Recalled during such restricted period
under Article 13.12(l) or 13.12(m) may be Loaned back to the member club of the
affiliated league from which they were Recalled.

(l) During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th)
day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season no Player may be
Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:
(i) A Club may exercise four Recalls from a club or clubs of any
league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own
Reserve List.

(ii) Players may be Recalled under Article 13.12(m).

(iii) Players may be Recalled upon completion of the regular season
and playoff schedule of the club to which they were Loaned.
(m) Emergency Recall.
(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League
may be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at
any time for the duration of the emergency only following which
he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was
Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing
strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or
illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the
level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12)
forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions
including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of
the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency
conditions at any time, to support the Recall of a Player for
participation in any Playoff Game, it shall be deemed that the
Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the
fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last day of the
Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the
season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been
eliminated from further play for the season.

Last edited by kdb209: 02-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Howson loses a lot of leverage in the off season I think.
Howson loses his job in the offseason. There might be some inner pressure to get this done for his own "legacy". I don't think he waits.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
He alluded to it shrinking, McKenzie even acknowledged it.

Points still stand:

Is it fair to say, Nash asked for a trade in the nicest way possible? Probably.
Is it fair to say, Nash is already getting irritated at the trade talk? This statement is his answer to that it seems. Reading between the lines, "hurry the **** up"

Are the teams bidding going to have other potential, better fitting options in the offseason? Absolutely.

It might be the same teams bidding, but I doubt NYR will be chomping at the bit as much as they are about Nash when Parise is potentially available.

Sure, a playoff team expected to contend can suddenly see decide they want Nash, but does he want him?

I'll stand by my statement, Nash is the only big time difference maker at the deadline. That desperation won't be there come draft time. Howson can't sit there and pray a team gets desperate for Nash after a dissapointing POs. Howson also can't sit there and let his Captain, who's been a great sport about it, run out of patience. I'll happily admit to it if I'm wrong.
Nash didn't ask for a trade, the org went to him and said they'd like to trade him.
His agent just came out and said the list will not change whether he's traded before Monday or not, the 'shrinking' part was total speculation on Dreger's part.

I'm sure Nash is tired of the talk and wants it to be over, but the only thing he has control over is which teams he's willing to go to. That team and org is already a total mess, I don't know if Nash running out of patience is going to hurt them much. This whole thing sucks for Nash, that's for sure.

The only thing I've seen over and over and over again is that Howson is not likely to change his mind on what he wants in a package for Nash. He may very well get it before Monday.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Nash didn't ask for a trade, the org went to him and said they'd like to trade him.
His agent just came out and said the list will not change whether he's traded before Monday or not, the 'shrinking' part was total speculation on Dreger's part.

I'm sure Nash is tired of the talk and wants it to be over, but the only thing he has control over is which teams he's willing to go to. That team and org is already a total mess, I don't know if Nash running out of patience is going to hurt them much. This whole thing sucks for Nash, that's for sure.

The only thing I've seen over and over and over again is that Howson is not likely to change his mind on what he wants in a package for Nash. He may very well get it before Monday.
First bold: Can't prove that he did ask for one, so I won't insult anyone's intelligence, but it certainly seems like he did.

I certainly don't want a pissed off superstar on my hands. That can only end poorly, so while yes, another pile of **** on top of what CBJ has to deal with is kind of 'meh' at this point, it still sucks.

Second bold: I can buy that.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
First bold: Can't prove that he did ask for one, so I won't insult anyone's intelligence, but it certainly seems like he did.

I certainly don't want a pissed off superstar on my hands. That can only end poorly, so while yes, another pile of **** on top of what CBJ has to deal with is kind of 'meh' at this point, it still sucks.

Second bold: I can buy that.
Here's two articles, it states quite clearly that Nash didn't ask for a trade, management went to him.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ong-often.html

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...acket-4nl.html

Old
02-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Here's two articles, it states quite clearly that Nash didn't ask for a trade, management went to him.

Hmm, perhaps you are right. As stubborn as this sounds, even if he didn't ask for one, doesn't mean he didn't want one. Regardless of the articles I'll remain skeptical. He might just be that loyal, which is a testament to his character. If he didn't want one before, I'd imagine he certainly wants one now just to have all this mess over with.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:38 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Hmm, perhaps you are right. As stubborn as this sounds, even if he didn't ask for one, doesn't mean he didn't want one. Regardless of the articles I'll remain skeptical. He might just be that loyal, which is a testament to his character. If he didn't want one before, I'd imagine he certainly wants one now just to have all this mess over with.
The bolded part is probably true...this whole thing sucks for Nash, he's at the mercy of his GM.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
The bolded part is probably true...this whole thing sucks for Nash, he's at the mercy of his GM.
...and when the offseason rolls around I think he'll want to take some of that power back. Only natural I think.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
...and when the offseason rolls around I think he'll want to take some of that power back. Only natural I think.
He technically holds all the power now w/ that NMC, but maybe you're right...I think there's those 5 teams Nash will go to, I don't think he'll shorten that list in the offseason.

Really, I'm hoping that NYR rumored package gets it done. It'll at least help Columbus a bit.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:49 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Awesome - skipping practice due to hangovers already. Have fun with Sutter.
Sure.... "Hungover"

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Man with the Yotes on such a roll and the Kings just getting Carter I bet DW feels like he is on the hot seat. I would be really surprised if he does not make an acquisition before the deadline.

02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

The twitter comment today from his agent makes it clear that Nash wants out by the deadline

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Man with the Yotes on such a roll and the Kings just getting Carter I bet DW feels like he is on the hot seat. I would be really surprised if he does not make an acquisition before the deadline.
He has very a tough decision ahead of him.

1. Sits on hands and gambles that Havlat comes back healthy and lands some good forwards in this years draft.

2. Stunts the future with high priced rental that may not work. With Hemsky gone there isn't a whole lot left, so it should be pretty pricey. Carter was pricy for the Kings.

This decision may be his biggest yet. It may have huge implications. This is why DW is paid the big bucks

Old
02-25-2012, 06:19 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He has very a tough decision ahead of him.

1. Sits on hands and gambles that Havlat comes back healthy and lands some good forwards in this years draft.

2. Stunts the future with high priced rental that may not work. With Hemsky gone there isn't a whole lot left, so it should be pretty pricey. Carter was pricy for the Kings.

This decision may be his biggest yet. It may have huge implications. This is why DW is paid the big bucks
carter easy not expensive at all.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:21 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
CBJ price of Couture+ for Nash is stated by commentators including Shark commentators as if it were a fact. It is also stated as a fact that Wilson said no ****ing way

Old
02-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
CBJ price of Couture+ for Nash is stated by commentators including Shark commentators as if it were a fact. It is also stated as a fact that Wilson said no ****ing way
That's a laughable price, I'll go to DW house and beat him with a lead pipe if he trades Couture + for ****ing 8 million dollar wonder boy who hasn't done **** except ride the wave of his own hype.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
carter easy not expensive at all.
Home grown young puck moving defense-man signed to long term deals don't grow on trees. They may have to give up a 1st round on top of this. I'd say that is pretty expensive for Carter who has a contract equivalent to a prison sentence.

Old
02-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

Their agents provide another Nash-Thornton connection beyond fact they’ve been teammates

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Home grown puck moving defense-man don't grow on trees. They may have to give up a 1st round on top of this. I'd say that is pretty expensive for Carter who has a contract equivalent to a prison sentence.
Jack Johnson sucks. He made everyone around him worse. Kings added by subtraction on that one.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:29 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Home grown young puck moving defense-man signed to long term deals don't grow on trees. They may have to give up a 1st round on top of this. I'd say that is pretty expensive for Carter who has a contract equivalent to a prison sentence.
JJ is the most over rated dman in the league. They will be giving up a first rounded, the year may change. its basically demers and a first for a 30 goal scorer.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote