HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tony Marinaro: Molson calling the shots, Gauthier just a figurehead (Molson Denies)

Old
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM
goldglove

vCash: 500
the biggest error was not signing all those players 3 yrs ago, it was a good idea, but we let to many upcoming UFA'S go for absolutely nothing. If we traded kovalev, koivu and co for picks and prospect we would be in a better position right now.

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Is Marinaro credible ? Has he ever been right or wrong on his scoops about the habs ?

I don't know him very much...

Thanks
Many people dislike him on this forum (myself included) because an arrogant jerk BUT I have to admit that he rarely spews crap. He's been bang on about EVERYTHING concerning Markov's injury. He reported that Latendresse was on the trading block a month before he was traded. He obviously has contacts within the organization...

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

As much as I like Gainey, the guy needs to go with Gauthier. Time for a full head office overhaul. Timmins can stay.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
So... Marinaro says that Molson has been effectively the GM since December?

So basically that means the Habs have an owner who basically takes matters directly in his own hands and whose demonstrated level of clue in NHL operations consists of making the moves that cut short the team's climb in the standings and precipitated them down to last place in the conference.

Basically, Geoff Molson is Charles Wang... and there are people who think this is good news?

It'd basically mean that the Habs have become the Islanders. If Marinaro is right, the Habs are FUBAR for the next decade-plus.
did you watch the report? marinaro never said molson was GM he said molson, along with his advisory staff (which includes gainey, gilmore, timmins etc) were keeping gauthier on a tight leash with no decisions being made without them. in other words he can't make moves with complete autonomy - that's different than molson being gm

btw i do agree with you it would be a nightmare if owner became gm

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:37 PM
andy28

Basically, it means a new GM next year.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:38 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Molson is all about making money, why would he shoot himself in the foot just to have something to play with?
I dunno, but buying sports franchises has never been about being rational.

I'm not so sure Molson views it as an investment. Also there is the point that he may simply not know any better.

Or, y'know, Marinaro might be full of it. That's certainly very possible.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

There is so many wrong things with that news. First, if you go as far as to say that Gauthier is no longer running things.....shouldn't you be sure enough to say that based on that Gauthier will be fired as soon as season's end? Why didn't he mention that?

Then....HOW THE HECK SHOULD I BE REASSURED if what it means is that Gainey runs to show again? Can somebody please try to make sense out of this?

If Molson uses Gainey and Carrière to help him during that process....isn't it safe to think that there's a strong possibility that they are the ones taking the job in the summer? How the heck should it be great news? Gauthier is bad 'cause he's unable to fix the mess....that GAINEY FREAKIN CREATED!!!!!

Molson should take advice solely from Timmins at this point. And fire the rest of the joke we have as management.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Man this organization is run like a 50 cent popsicle stand with the ownership and management with the combined business and leadership of a 10 year old.

Could they just make a decision on a new GM and let that man start rebuilding this organization. Instead we have pseudo managers like Gauthier along with special adviser whose already ruined this team once, and interim coach who was thrown under the bus months ago.

i miss George Gillette.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
did you watch the report? marinaro never said molson was GM he said molson, along with his advisory staff (which includes gainey, gilmore, timmins etc) were keeping gauthier on a tight leash with no decisions being made without them.
I wanna know if they were in control around December. Whoever was in control in December needs to be removed from the decision-making process.

Old
02-25-2012, 07:40 PM
LeMAD

If it's true that's the worst thing that could happen to the Habs, but luckily it comes from Tony Marinaro.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Great news. Molson will be aggressive.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

That wouldn't mean he took control in response in the mess. That would mean he caused the mess himself.

It would mean the Habs have an owner who basically takes matters directly in his own hands and whose demonstrated level of clue in NHL operations consists of making the moves that cut short the team's climb in the standings and precipitated them down to last place in the conference.

Basically, Geoff Molson is Charles Wang... and there are people who think this is good news?

It'd basically mean that the Habs have become the Islanders. If Marinaro is right, the Habs are FUBAR for the next decade-plus.

ok take it easy. I am glad that Molson finally noticed that PG is a failure. He will oversee things until the summer and get someone new. Maybe the next GM already has a job and cant get out of it until the season is over???

anyways, dont go all drama-queen over this....

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Basically, it means a new GM next year.
which is a good thing...

the concern I have is two-fold:

- will the spectre of a "meddling owner" scare away top-quality candidates?

- will Molson be willing to hire the type of leader who is the sole decision maker, or will he purposefully favour another meek individual that will accept to act as a puppet if told to?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
I wanna know if they were in control around December. Whoever was in control in December needs to be removed from the decision-making process.
100% agree...btw i think this decision happened after that

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:43 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:

That wouldn't mean he took control in response in the mess. That would mean he caused the mess himself.

It would mean the Habs have an owner who basically takes matters directly in his own hands and whose demonstrated level of clue in NHL operations consists of making the moves that cut short the team's climb in the standings and precipitated them down to last place in the conference.

Yup, yup, yup!

The people cheering are in for a nasty surprise.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

So basically that means the Habs have an owner who basically takes matters directly in his own hands and whose demonstrated level of clue in NHL operations consists of making the moves that cut short the team's climb in the standings and precipitated them down to last place in the conference.

I completely agree with what you're saying, but to be fair, most fans wanted Martin fired. It was obviously a horrible decision from management's point of view, but it did make sense to a lot of people outside the organization.

For us, as fans, to judge those types of moves is judging something based on the outcome and not on the process that lead to take such decisions.

That said, I still believe that management deserves all the criticism it gets, but we need to be more objective with our finger-pointing.

I'm pro-tank, I've been all along, but tanking doesn't mean **** if the management of this organization isn't in the right hands. A brief example are, like you said, the islanders.

So I would make that my top priority if I was G. Molson. Now, with these news by Marinara sauce, I'm concerned that G. Molson is the kind of owner everyone feared him to be and his track record so far enforces that fear.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
ok take it easy. I am glad that Molson finally noticed that PG is a failure.
PG was being quite successful until December this year. In which time, I am now told, he may not have been in control.

Which would mean that the failure isn't PG, it's whoever was in control at that time... apparently, that someone is Molson and his commitee.

Old
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
There is so many wrong things with that news. First, if you go as far as to say that Gauthier is no longer running things.....shouldn't you be sure enough to say that based on that Gauthier will be fired as soon as season's end? Why didn't he mention that?

Then....HOW THE HECK SHOULD I BE REASSURED if what it means is that Gainey runs to show again? Can somebody please try to make sense out of this?

If Molson uses Gainey and Carrière to help him during that process....isn't it safe to think that there's a strong possibility that they are the ones taking the job in the summer? How the heck should it be great news? Gauthier is bad 'cause he's unable to fix the mess....that GAINEY FREAKIN CREATED!!!!!

Molson should take advice solely from Timmins at this point. And fire the rest of the joke we have as management.
Whitesnake, I'd be very surprised if Gainey has as much input as he once had, there's no sense firing the managment team at this point in the season, ride this disaster out till April, get rid of the last half of the Ottawa intelligensia (Gauthier), make Gainey a goodwill ambassader, bring in Pat Brisson, and the retool begins

Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Again, why would you fire guys you are using now to keep your present GM on a tight leash? So you need Gainey and Carrière's help now to be sure you don't screw up, yet, you are going to fire them this summer?

This is Gainey that admitted, when he re-signs, that he was no longer apt at being a GM.....that would again become one? Why? Who's the next kid we need to trade to get a washed-up vet? Is Jason Allison still playing? I guess we could part with Tinordi, Gallagher or Beaulieu....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfan2k11

Molson is not the frigging GM. Basically, he's got Gauthier on a leash and must be notified of any deals. Many people had already suggested this so it's not news to everyone. We have a lame duck GM and coach. LOL

At least the Gauthier fanboys will blame Molson for the bad moves.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
100% agree...btw i think this decision happened after that
Doesn't make sense. Kaberle and Martin were season-saving moves - Martin's firing especially seems like it was pushed by Geoff Moneybags Molson.

In either case, we should all agree that Tony Marinaro is a hack and a non-credible source and let the die fall wherever they may.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:46 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
which is a good thing...

- will Molson be willing to hire the type of leader who is the sole decision maker, or will he purposefully favour another meek individual that will accept to act as a puppet if told to?
i don't think top quality candidates will want to come to Mtl, this season being one indication job requirements being another reason.
Molson will probably hire someone who will accept a puppet role if need be, but i think he already has someone in mind, hopefully someone he will trust so he can do his job properly.

This has possiblity to become post lock out Leaf situation. i think we have to much talent to become an Islanders, but i see where MM is coming from.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:46 PM
andy28

Quote:
which is a good thing...

I don't think it's such a big deal. Owner has to meddle to some degree when it comes to firing a GM. I mean even if we brought in an interim like Cliff Fletcher to fill the position, it's highly unlikely that a guy like that who we don't want as our GM would make all the decisions himself either. So we just have Gauthier there. And Molson + advisors are keeping him on a leash.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Roke

Quote:
which is a good thing...

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens this summer. If the new GM is a media guy/organizational incest (like Houle in the 90s) it's probably not going to be a lot of fun following the team.

I really hope Gauthier was the one behind the Kaberle trade (which I did think was decent at the time) and Martin firing in December. Beyond ticket sales collapsing to Sunbelt levels there's nothing to hold a meddling owner accountable for their mistakes.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I completely agree with what you're saying, but to be fair, most fans wanted Martin fired.
Following the opinions of "most fans" is no way to run a hockey organization. That "most fans" guy is far, FAR from an expert.