HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Ott..

Old
02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. I guess my opinion of him is a bit higher. For $3 million, I'll take what he brings to the table. Just out of curiosity, what should he be making in your opinion, and what type of player should be making the money he is making?
AAV, at the absolute most, no more than what Talbot makes - $1.75. But Ott has another 2 years left. If Ott was on a good team, he'd be their run of the mill 4th line center. The only reason he has the contract he has was because Dallas had to pay because they're more concerned with the cap floor than ceiling.

I'm probably exaggerating, but I want no part of this. I find him to be one of the more overrated players in the league, but I also just generally don't like him, and not one of those "but you would love him on your team!" angles.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
AAV, at the absolute most, no more than what Talbot makes - $1.75. But Ott has another 2 years left. If Ott was on a good team, he'd be their run of the mill 4th line center. The only reason he has the contract he has was because Dallas had to pay because they're more concerned with the cap floor than ceiling.

I'm probably exaggerating, but I want no part of this. I find him to be one of the more overrated players in the league, but I also just generally don't like him, and not one of those "but you would love him on your team!" angles.
Fair enough. I think you're being too harsh on him. I think he is a better all-around player than Talbot (both offensively and in that "sandpaper" role). Either way, I don't think anything will come of this.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Would love me some Jamie Oleksiak

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Would love me some Jamie Oleksiak
Would still need to add. The + reported by Lebrun had to be substantial.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Would still need to add. The + reported by Lebrun had to be substantial.
As long as Oleksiak is part of the deal.

EDIT: Thinking about what 2nd overall picks go for, I think a 1st around the 15th mark would be around there. Similar to the EJ deal, but a vet would be in the deal.

JVR

for

Ott
Oleksiak
1st

Ott really doesnt have THAT much value. Two 15th overall picks + Ott for a 2nd overall sounds fair.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-23-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old
02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
As long as Oleksiak is part of the deal.

EDIT: Thinking about what 2nd overall picks go for, I think a 1st around the 15th mark would be around there. Similar to the EJ deal, but a vet would be in the deal.

JVR

for

Ott
Oleksiak
1st

Ott really doesnt have THAT much value. Two 15th overall picks + Ott for a 2nd overall sounds fair.
We'd have to add another contract just to stay at the limit. Toss in Shelley ...

Old
02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
We'd have to add another contract just to stay at the limit. Toss in Shelley ...
If Im not mistaken, Jamie's contract doesnt count towards limit since he is in the juniors. Similar to Noebels contract with the Flyers. The only limit we would be over is the cap by 1.3 mil.

Old
02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
If Im not mistaken, Jamie's contract doesnt count towards limit since he is in the juniors. Similar to Noebels contract with the Flyers. The only limit we would be over is the cap by 1.3 mil.
Oh yeah, didn't realize he was on a "slider" contract or whatever they call it.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I don't get why we would add him or most forwards really unless they are amazing two way players who can shore up their defense.

edit- I've missed a lot of this season though so I'm probably not the best judge of what the team needs. He is 8th in the league for "faceoff leaders", and he is a veteran but I'm not sure that is enough of a reason to get him.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
ORYX

I'd do Ott, Oleksiak and a 1st this year no problem for JVR, dont think Dallas does.

Maybe JVR and a 2nd for that package, but I dont see it happening still.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I'd do Ott, Oleksiak and a 1st this year no problem for JVR, dont think Dallas does.

Well I see it as Ott not having much value. He has 4th maybe 3rd line value, so about a 2nd and a 4th. If anything us adding a 2nd (which we dont have) would be even. Maybe a defensman?

JVR
Bourdon

for

Ott
Oleksiak
1st

Old
02-23-2012, 10:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Keep in mind that it's been 3 years since Holmgren traded an NHL roster player off the roster during the season.

No, Ole-Kristan Tollefsen doesn't count.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

...the consensus among the Dallas fans active in the main trade forum (admittedly a small sample) is that a deal around either Ott or Larsen is sufficient, with perhaps a small addition (think 3rd / 4th rounder pick).

I tried to be nice.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:56 AM
lancer247

I think Ott would real nice in a similar role as Talbot. The Flyers would finally have a legit checking line. If you trade for Ott you are basically saying good bye to resigning Voracek or Jagr.

Voracek

for

Ott + pick

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:21 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I don't mind Ott

I mind Ott for JvR or Voracek.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

LOL@ Ott for Voracek.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:53 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Keep in mind that it's been 3 years since Holmgren traded an NHL roster player off the roster during the season.
I speculated it was Eminger/Downie but researched and saw the golden boy...how could I forget. Still, that deal of Steves was the second to last, and I was in Mexico that week...and ****, Mexico was a long time ago. Damn.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
BigG44

I come in peace ....

I agree with most of you that Oleksiak or Larsen would probably have to be a part of any trade for JVR. I also think that Dallas is unlikely to let one of those players go. Dallas D has been total trash for 4 years. There is finally hope of a legitimate NHL group of D men on the horizon, and based on quotes by GMJN and Gaglardi I don't see them moving either one.

Someone in the trade forum suggested Ott + Glennie + 1st/2nd. I don't feel like that is good enough, but some people, including Flyers fans liked it. I think the opinion in a thread like this are significantly better than the trade forum. I'm probably wrong, but I feel like that's Dallas' take it or leave it offer. My vote is JVR stays a Flyer with that offer. What do you think?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Honestly any deal with JVR heading to Dallas would HAVE to include Oleksiak.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I come in peace ....

I agree with most of you that Oleksiak or Larsen would probably have to be a part of any trade for JVR. I also think that Dallas is unlikely to let one of those players go. Dallas D has been total trash for 4 years. There is finally hope of a legitimate NHL group of D men on the horizon, and based on quotes by GMJN and Gaglardi I don't see them moving either one.

Someone in the trade forum suggested Ott + Glennie + 1st/2nd. I don't feel like that is good enough, but some people, including Flyers fans liked it. I think the opinion in a thread like this are significantly better than the trade forum. I'm probably wrong, but I feel like that's Dallas' take it or leave it offer. My vote is JVR stays a Flyer with that offer. What do you think?
What's the story on Glennie? I was stoked on him when the Stars drafted him but it sounds like he has been a disappointment (or that the Stars reached in drafting him so high).

Old
02-25-2012, 09:22 PM
BigG44

I think Glennie has been just fine. Most of Dallas' fans are impatient and unaware of what you are typically drafting from 7th to 10th.

He had a strong post draft season. He started the next season slow which caused him to not make the WJC squad, but overall the season and playoffs was a huge success. He lost both his security blankets in Calvert and Schenn that season and still put up very good numbers.

He's doing extremely well right now in the AHL. He started slow with a concussion, but he's been playing close to a point per game for a month to two months.

He probably tops out as a 2nd liner, but he seems to be progressing just fine.

BTW ... does Brayden Schenn have less value to Phili than JVR? I know the report is Dallas covets JVR, but Schenn honestly makes a ton of sense too. Reuniting Schenn and Glennie, in Dallas or Phili, would be a very smart move.

In fact I'd love to see Dallas push hard for JVR and "settle" for Schenn. What do you thin?

Old
02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
BigG44

I guess my main question is, could Dallas lower the prospect a tad for Schenn?

Maybe John Klingberg. He is a highly touted D prospect in Dallas, but he's not at the same level of Oleksiak and Larsen.

Ott+Klingberg+Dallas/LA 2nd whichever higher for Schenn

Old
02-25-2012, 09:40 PM
mirimon

Quote:
I guess my main question is, could Dallas lower the prospect a tad for Schenn?

Maybe John Klingberg. He is a highly touted D prospect in Dallas, but he's not at the same level of Oleksiak and Larsen.

Ott+Klingberg+Dallas/LA 2nd whichever higher for Schenn
I don't really want to trade JvR or Schenn unless it's as part of a package to get us a top-pairing dman or a young, top prospect dman. That said though, how about Patrik Nemeth?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
BigG44

I love Patrik Nemeth, but I didn't think a defensive D-men would have as much value as Glennie.

I'd say they'd move him for JVR or Schenn, but you guys just traded for the finished product. Grossman and Nemeth are pretty similar, but Nemeth has Pronger's nastiness. He also seems to have the agitating skills of an Ott/Avery.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:20 AM
mirimon

Quote:
I love Patrik Nemeth, but I didn't think a defensive D-men would have as much value as Glennie.

I'd say they'd move him for JVR or Schenn, but you guys just traded for the finished product. Grossman and Nemeth are pretty similar, but Nemeth has Pronger's nastiness. He also seems to have the agitating skills of an Ott/Avery.
I meant Nemeth instead of Klingberg in your example above. I really have no interest in Klingberg. He's barely a SEL player right now (though, his playing style might be more suited for the smaller rinks).

As I said, I wouldn't do any trades with Schenn or JvR involved personally for such a package, just wondered what your opinion of Nemeth was.

I tend to suck at this trade proposal thing though. They rarely hold up to what happens in the real world, when I give them a go.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote