HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

moneyball~moneypuck?

Old
02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
irisheyes555

vCash: 500
moneyball~moneypuck?

i know we are not really paying our guys on a performance basis like moneyball, but do you think we are team that is only concerned with a price/perforamce ratio rather than just win(at all cost?).

i know the internal cap limit we have. but really do you ever wonder if we are just trying to be marginal competitive/profitable? maybe i am just musing what we could do if we spent to the cap for a couple of years.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:54 PM
predwings

I think with the right moves we could easily become not only profitable but an elite team contending year in and year out. Of course the flip-side of this is...with some bad moves we could slide down and lose some of the fairweather Nashville fans pretty easily. I wish we'd had a more stable fanbase. If we were selling out every night we wouldn't even be caring about this so much.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:52 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Selling out every night still requires the playoffs for any chance at breaking even financially. Spending wisely is the key, not just spending a lot ... look at how many cap teams miss the playoffs, some consistently.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:35 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
i know we are not really paying our guys on a performance basis like moneyball, but do you think we are team that is only concerned with a price/perforamce ratio rather than just win(at all cost?).

i know the internal cap limit we have. but really do you ever wonder if we are just trying to be marginal competitive/profitable? maybe i am just musing what we could do if we spent to the cap for a couple of years.
You can sign all the goalies you want, but can only play one at a time. The available parts have to fit the teams needs or you are just wasting the money. See Cubs, Chicago, who haven't won the World Series since 1908 or played in one since 1945. They spend like crazy and still suck.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:16 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Selling out every night still requires the playoffs for any chance at breaking even financially. Spending wisely is the key, not just spending a lot ... look at how many cap teams miss the playoffs, some consistently.
Well with consistent sell outs comes Advertising revenue that brings the majority of the money required there. More people = More advertising possibilities = More money to use.

Look at even Middle of the pack valued teams like the Wild and Flames..who are somewhere in the $200 million dollar range while Nashville is barely even in the $130 million dollar range. I think given a major support of the fan base and a growing love for the team would put us somewhere up there in the 200+ million. Mostly done through advertising and fans who become investors. We gotta get the fans to get the investors though...

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Well with consistent sell outs comes Advertising revenue that brings the majority of the money required there. More people = More advertising possibilities = More money to use.

Look at even Middle of the pack valued teams like the Wild and Flames..who are somewhere in the $200 million dollar range while Nashville is barely even in the $130 million dollar range. I think given a major support of the fan base and a growing love for the team would put us somewhere up there in the 200+ million. Mostly done through advertising and fans who become investors. We gotta get the fans to get the investors though...

The team doesn't generate $40mil from the gate from selling out all 41 regular season home games at $55 per ticket average price. To be at or near the cap requires succeeding on ice to stay afloat. The arena naming rights are only a couple of million per year and I'd have to go back and find the details on the latest agreement to see if it's even enough to offset the revenue sharing the team loses by exceeding the midpoint.

The real trick in getting to the point where this team can spend more was only partially done on the hockey side of the operation. The non-hockey use of the arena is what enables the team to explore a cap midpoint to ceiling payroll.

Forbes valuations are based on public domain information, and ignore a lot of factors. From 07 through 09 the info in their listing for the Preds didn't match reality as released in audited financial reports and official attendance briefings to the Sports Authority.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote