HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary - Philly

Old
02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Don't think the Flyers are going to move their young potential stars for older players. I don't think we're good enough to be making a push right now. Patience would probably serve us best while we wait for Schenn/JVR to develop.
You would be getting a huge proven upgrade in net. Iggy and Giroux would be just filthy to watch together. And you would still have Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, and Simmonds as a young core to build around. This deal would give the Flyers a leathal mix of young players and vets, this would make them favorites to win the Cup.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Nope. Not happening from a Philly PoV.
Agreed!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:54 PM
DropIt

no way from Calgary

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Philly fans saying no to this need to look at just how bad Bryz's contract is.
Philly fans saying no to this know full and well how bad Bryz's contract is, but they also know how good Schenn and JvR's contracts are in comparison to much older Iginla and Kiprusoff. Flyers are looking to contend for the next 10-15 years, and will do so with Schenn and JvR (and hopefully Bryz). They won't with Iginla and Kipper.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
LordClaudeAlmighty28
I believe in G-sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Philly fans saying no to this need to look at just how bad Bryz's contract is.
Kovalchuk's contract looked worse at this point last year. Hear anyone complaining about it now? How about we wait more than 40 games into a 9-year contract before we declare a 31-year old to be a hopeless bust?

LordClaudeAlmighty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:18 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You would be getting a huge proven upgrade in net. Iggy and Giroux would be just filthy to watch together. And you would still have Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, and Simmonds as a young core to build around. This deal would give the Flyers a leathal mix of young players and vets, this would make them favorites to win the Cup.
If Pronger was healthy, yes, I seriously consider this. In the Flyers current state, not so much.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:30 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Quote:
Proven in what sense? Kiprusoff's last 2 excursions into the playoffs were just as bad as Bryz's. There's absolutely no guarantee that Kipper performs well here. None whatsoever.

And lol @ trying to play the cup favorites line. Please, don't go there. If we had Pronger back, PERHAPS you'd be right but we don't. Our defense is in shambles and even w/ Kipper our goaltending is a decided notch below Lundqvist and Thomas.

Even with you're hypothetical trade, we're 3rd in the East behind NYR and BOS and if Crosby gets healthy, we'd be 4th in the East alone.

The Flyers best strategy is to stand pat. I know that's not what you'd like to hear because we have a ton of young assets you'd like to use towards your rebuild, but that is not going to happen.

JVR and Schenn won't get traded for a pair of mid 30 year olds on their last leg in the NHL.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:57 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
Proven in what sense? Kiprusoff's last 2 excursions into the playoffs were just as bad as Bryz's. There's absolutely no guarantee that Kipper performs well here. None whatsoever.

And lol @ trying to play the cup favorites line. Please, don't go there. If we had Pronger back, PERHAPS you'd be right but we don't. Our defense is in shambles and even w/ Kipper our goaltending is a decided notch below Lundqvist and Thomas.

Even with you're hypothetical trade, we're 3rd in the East behind NYR and BOS and if Crosby gets healthy, we'd be 4th in the East alone.

The Flyers best strategy is to stand pat. I know that's not what you'd like to hear because we have a ton of young assets you'd like to use towards your rebuild, but that is not going to happen.

JVR and Schenn won't get traded for a pair of mid 30 year olds on their last leg in the NHL.
Kiprusoff has been a dominant goaltender this year. As Feaster said last night, if we traded 34 away, is there a position lower than 30th the Flames could finish? He's the only reason this team has been respectable for the past two seasons, and he'd be a great fit in Philly.

I don't want him to go, that's for sure.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
JVR and Schenn are vastly overrated. I'd expect one to be part of deal for just one of Kipper or Iginla.

And then we add Nemisz.

And THEN we take Bryzgalov for another 7 years. Absolutely not. The Flyers will have to give up one of JVR or Schenn alone to get rid of that contract.

No thank you. Better deals can be had elsewhere without getting a brutal contract in return.
Schenn is so overrated that He would be Calgary's #1 Center and JVR would be in the top 6.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post

Hey, my proposal would be a gigantic blockbuster and I totally understand the valid reasons for both sides not wanting to do this.

The last few times the Flames made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round it had nothing to do with Kipper. Kipper always somehow manages to further elevate his already amazing play in the playoffs. Its quite remarkable to watch, he literally uses all parts of his body to keep the puck out of the net. Kipper, IMO is a proven goalie in the sense that he has played at a top level for a lot of seasons with quite a bit of consistency. There is no question in my mind that he is a better goaltender than Bryz when both are at the top of their games. And I've seen Bryz play lots even going back to his Anaheim days. Goalies can play for a long time, and Kipper will likely play in the NHL as long as he is motivated. He loves playing on the Flames, but I think he would have the same desire he has here in Philly because they are legitimate cup favorites.

And I'm not playing cards, or lines or whatever you are suggesting, I am simply using logic. Look at the Flyers potential lineup.

Hartnell Giroux Iginla
Voracek Briere Jagr
JVR Couturier Simmonds

Thats as good as any top 9 in the NHL, and when you factor in the addition of Kipper and once Grossman and Kubina settle in, yes I would say that the Flyers would be considered legitimate Cup favorites.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:56 PM
LordClaudeAlmighty28
I believe in G-sus

Quote:
Hey, my proposal would be a gigantic blockbuster and I totally understand the valid reasons for both sides not wanting to do this.

The last few times the Flames made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round it had nothing to do with Kipper. Kipper always somehow manages to further elevate his already amazing play in the playoffs. Its quite remarkable to watch, he literally uses all parts of his body to keep the puck out of the net. Kipper, IMO is a proven goalie in the sense that he has played at a top level for a lot of seasons with quite a bit of consistency. There is no question in my mind that he is a better goaltender than Bryz when both are at the top of their games. And I've seen Bryz play lots even going back to his Anaheim days. Goalies can play for a long time, and Kipper will likely play in the NHL as long as he is motivated. He loves playing on the Flames, but I think he would have the same desire he has here in Philly because they are legitimate cup favorites.

And I'm not playing cards, or lines or whatever you are suggesting, I am simply using logic. Look at the Flyers potential lineup.

Hartnell Giroux Iginla
Voracek Briere Jagr
JVR Couturier Simmonds

Thats as good as any top 9 in the NHL, and when you factor in the addition of Kipper and once Grossman and Kubina settle in, yes I would say that the Flyers would be considered legitimate Cup favorites.
First point: Kiprusoff's sv% the last 5 years: .906, .903, .920, .906, .922. How in the world can anyone say that is playing at a top level consistently? You don't know what you're going to get from one year to another. This year happens to be a good year. He hasn't had back-to-back good years since the first 2 years of the lockout, but at 35, he's going to be a model of consistency and answer all our problems this year and in the future?

Second point: how is JVR on our 3rd line and your first line? Is he not included in the proposal anymore?

The Flyers didn't trade their 26-year old stars for youth just so they could trade their youth for 36-year old stars. Your flawed arguments won't change that.

LordClaudeAlmighty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnonymousPoster View Post
Kovalchuk's contract looked worse at this point last year. Hear anyone complaining about it now? How about we wait more than 40 games into a 9-year contract before we declare a 31-year old to be a hopeless bust?
Forward contracts are an entirely different kettle of fish than goalie contracts. The comparables are players like Dipietro or Huet.

Also Kovalchuk's year really wasn't all that bad. He had 31 goals and was only 2 points back of team leader Elias. There was obviously probems with the entire team, not just Kovalchuk.

Also a bad forward can be burried in the ranks. Without a competent goaltender the team is sunk. A forward performing at half steam is not good, but still holds value to the team. The line between good goaltending and poor goaltending is much thinner. One or two bad goals a night ruins everything. Not just for the player, but the team.

Fortunately your offence is top notch, but Bryz is really making things much harder than they should be.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnonymousPoster View Post
First point: Kiprusoff's sv% the last 5 years: .906, .903, .920, .906, .922. How in the world can anyone say that is playing at a top level consistently? You don't know what you're going to get from one year to another. This year happens to be a good year. He hasn't had back-to-back good years since the first 2 years of the lockout, but at 35, he's going to be a model of consistency and answer all our problems this year and in the future?

Second point: how is JVR on our 3rd line and your first line? Is he not included in the proposal anymore?

The Flyers didn't trade their 26-year old stars for youth just so they could trade their youth for 36-year old stars. Your flawed arguments won't change that.
First point: Its my experience that when a poster uses stats as their main argument against a player that is not on their team, it due to a lack of watching that player. Kipper no question has had some down times in his play over the last 5 years (and what goalie hasn't) but the inconsistency in his numbers are due more to the team that has been playing in front of him. And as a die hard Flames fan, I can testify to this as will alot of other Flames fans. Kipper is reguarded in Calgary as the MVP of our team year after year and we all feel that he does not get the respect that he deserves around the NHL.

Second point: My bad, but you can insert Read in that spot and the lineup still looks top notch. Read has far surpassed expectations this year and is more than capable filling that 3rd line role.

And lastly it is just a proposal. Its not horrible, I think the value is there. That is the point of these threads and its fun to discuss these things. You are well within your right to decline it.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
First point: Its my experience that when a poster uses stats as their main argument against a player that is not on their team, it due to a lack of watching that player. Kipper no question has had some down times in his play over the last 5 years (and what goalie hasn't) but the inconsistency in his numbers are due more to the team that has been playing in front of him. And as a die hard Flames fan, I can testify to this as will alot of other Flames fans. Kipper is reguarded in Calgary as the MVP of our team year after year and we all feel that he does not get the respect that he deserves around the NHL.

Second point: My bad, but you can insert Read in that spot and the lineup still looks top notch. Read has far surpassed expectations this year and is more than capable filling that 3rd line role.

And lastly it is just a proposal. Its not horrible, I think the value is there. That is the point of these threads and its fun to discuss these things. You are well within your right to decline it.
It really makes little sense for Philly to trade for Kipper without sending Bryz the other way. And once Pronger went down, I think so did the Flyers Cup chances. I think Bryz will be fine if the Flyers can get a #1 d man in here.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote