HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Trade Deadline pt 3 - (Feb 27th at 2 PM CST) Can a brother get a top 30 forward ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
We could trade away 3 pieces of the future - Wilson, Ellis, and the 1st rounder. Even with Nash, we could exit in the 2nd or 3rd round and Suter may still leave. Then we've lost Suter AND the pieces in the trade. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but it is a gamble with no assurances that Suter will stay. Without Suter and Weber demanding a commitment, I don't think Poile ever makes an offer for Nash. All of the risk lies with the organization and it's fan base (we do pay the bills for this team). If we make this move and Suter still walks, he will be the most hated man in the NHL.
In Nashville at least. And then we can hear how ridiculous our fans are for booing him, and how we just aren't an organization that is serious about winning because we can't hold on to our own players. Ugh, Lord please spare us...

Old
02-26-2012, 01:41 AM
predwings

Quote:
We could trade away 3 pieces of the future - Wilson, Ellis, and the 1st rounder. Even with Nash, we could exit in the 2nd or 3rd round and Suter may still leave. Then we've lost Suter AND the pieces in the trade. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but it is a gamble with no assurances that Suter will stay. Without Suter and Weber demanding a commitment, I don't think Poile ever makes an offer for Nash. All of the risk lies with the organization and it's fan base (we do pay the bills for this team). If we make this move and Suter still walks, he will be the most hated man in the NHL.
Well, the point being here that if they are that committed to walking...would you rather have a bunch of future pieces or an all-star? I'd rather have Nash who we could then build the team around again. The likelihood of Suter walking definitely doesn't increase with a big trade for an all-star type player...so I can't see your point here. If you always think he's going to leave then you're all but sending him out the door with his bags. If you fight to make him stay...he recognizes this and even if he signs another 1-2 year deal to give it a shot with Nash...we've got that much more time to re-sign him.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:11 AM
predfan24

Quote:
IMO Suter is gone period. I really don't think he intends to sign here even if we picked up Nash. If Nashville gets Nash I think they make that move knowing Suter is likely to walk because the Preds aren't going to have Rinne,Weber,Suter,Nash all making 7+ million. That's way too much money tied up in four guys.

If Suter left we'd still have:

Rinne-Franchise goalie
Weber-Franchise D
Nash-Franchise forward

How many teams could boast something like that? I'd take that every day and run.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:17 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
Well, the point being here that if they are that committed to walking...would you rather have a bunch of future pieces or an all-star? I'd rather have Nash who we could then build the team around again. The likelihood of Suter walking definitely doesn't increase with a big trade for an all-star type player...so I can't see your point here. If you always think he's going to leave then you're all but sending him out the door with his bags. If you fight to make him stay...he recognizes this and even if he signs another 1-2 year deal to give it a shot with Nash...we've got that much more time to re-sign him.
Nash makes me nervous because I've watched Cbus try to build a team around him for years -- and fail miserably. Rolling the dice on Parise seems less risky.

As I mentioned before, I'm not saying Poile shouldn't pull the trigger on Nash. But I am worried that Suter could very well leave after we make this deal unless we make a very deep run. Suter is asking Poile to trade away lots of assets, but will not commit unless the trade works out REALLY well. It's as if Suter is playing with house money. If the gamble doesn't pay off for the Preds and the fan base, Suter walks away with a pile of cash and a cup contender. And we've traded Wilson, Ellis, our first, and Suter for Nash.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:19 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
IMO Suter is gone period. I really don't think he intends to sign here even if we picked up Nash. If Nashville gets Nash I think they make that move knowing Suter is likely to walk because the Preds aren't going to have Rinne,Weber,Suter,Nash all making 7+ million. That's way too much money tied up in four guys.

If Suter left we'd still have:

Rinne-Franchise goalie
Weber-Franchise D
Nash-Franchise forward

How many teams could boast something like that? I'd take that every day and run.
Weber is gone the year after Suter leaves. Then we are Cbus made over -- Nash and Rinne. And how good is Rinne without Weber and Suter in front of him??

Old
02-26-2012, 03:06 AM
predwings

Quote:
Weber is gone the year after Suter leaves. Then we are Cbus made over -- Nash and Rinne. And how good is Rinne without Weber and Suter in front of him??
I wouldn't count Rinne out if Suter/Webs blew tires and it was a 3 on 0 rush...I still have that feeling he's got a damn good chance to stop it...which is why I love Rinne so much and so does NSH in general. Either way..with both walking...free-agency defensive signings become very possible...we still have all our amazing prospects who in another year should be more solid and of course tons of cap-room to go out and pick-up whomever else we need.

Life is not over post-weber/suter everyone...the world lives on.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:22 AM
predwings

Question: Do Buyouts go off the books the following year? Dumont buyout and such would be gone next year?

Nevermind, looked it up..the Dumont one lasts through next year.

Well...I did some re-arranging on capgeek.com and looked up where the Preds might be next year if we moved and got Nash. It's possible. We'd have to get some hometown discounts from a few folks and possibly might have to let someone like Kostitsyn walk but we'd have just enough to make it under the cap. IF threy raised the cap by the 3-4 million they've been thinking...then we will be perfectly fine and well under the cap and could keep him. Interesting to think about...I hate looking at all the RFA/UFAs beside peoples names on capgeek..I really wish we'd start putting out some longer term contracts.

Last edited by predwings: 02-26-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old
02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Nash makes me nervous because I've watched Cbus try to build a team around him for years -- and fail miserably. Rolling the dice on Parise seems less risky.
You have to remember, though, Columbus has had some awful, AWFUL GMs. Nash was the only slam-dunk of a draft pick they got, the rest have been very poorly judged. They haven't been able to sign anybody, and the one good coach they got didn't last very long. Poile has done much better at building a team than most executives have, that's why we're perennially in the thick of the playoff race.

That said, I don't know that I want Nash. I've never liked the guy. He has used his position as captain not to motivate his team, or to lead by example, but to complain. You're a professional athlete; if you want to get traded, handle it with some ******* dignity instead of throwing the city under the bus on your way out. He doesn't play defense at all, and he can't pass. As much as people hate Klein, I've seen him totally neutralize Nash just by being able to skate with him (something he shouldn't be able to do). Pure shooters like Nash are prone to inconsistency, and the last thing we need on this team is more streaky goal scoring.

My instincts tell me that we would be much better off adding Ribeiro or Roy, especially if Wilson is a must-have for other GMs. I just don't see Nash being the right fit for this organization.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:55 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
If Suter and Weber both retired at the beginning of this season, the Preds would be double digit points clear of Columbus in the standings by now, regardless of Nash. Columbus' issues go so far beyond a first pairing D.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Makes you wonder if we are in on Nash... what other pies do we have our fingers in?

Old
02-26-2012, 09:34 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

My instincts tell me that we would be much better off adding Ribeiro or Roy, especially if Wilson is a must-have for other GMs. I just don't see Nash being the right fit for this organization.
Obviously the big pow-wow of pro scouts that Poile mentioned was coming together on Friday and Saturday in Nashville to finalize the strategy for approaching the trade deadline felt a lot differently

Old
02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
maplepred

Even if we lose Wilson and Ellis in a trade, we have RICK NASH!!!
Then if suter walks it's not the end if the world, doesn't make the Nash deal a waste at all! We still got one of the best forwards in the league!!

Suter walks after that, then he never had intentions of staying here anyways, we still have weber, Blum, josi, Ekholm, cube, etc. Plus sign fa.

If we get Nash, I'm gonna freak out and buy the bar a round of shots!!!

Old
02-26-2012, 12:11 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

How many of you would enjoy a '24/7' style coverage of GM at the trade deadline, then Draft?
Not that GMs would be dying to do it, and it would have to be edited, but...

Old
02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
How many of you would enjoy a '24/7' style coverage of GM at the trade deadline, then Draft?
Not that GMs would be dying to do it, and it would have to be edited, but...
I'd kill to see that. I love seeing things like that on the NHL network like Oil Change and behind the scenes of the St. Louis Blue's draft a few years go...

Old
02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I posted this in the Nash thread but I'm too lazy to write a different version of it in this one too, so I'm putting it here also:

OBVIOUSLY we know Nash can control his own destiny, but here goes anyway:

I think this trade is worth it even if we give up Wilson and Ellis in the process.

-Wilson will not become Rick Nash. I like him a lot and I have enjoyed his progression into the player he's becoming, but from a forward-forward swap perspective, Nash gets the win.

-Ellis is a fantastic young prospect but if giving him up for an "essential guarantee" (I'm looking at you Suter) that Sutes and Webs both stay, while adding a Rick Nash in the process, it has to be worth it in the long run.

-I don't know what to say about Laakso or Lindback because I don't know which one is involved, but it's something we have to be willing to part with.

-Picks are whatever, but again, is our first round pick going to be Rick Nash one day?

Bottom line to me is this: Nash has the final say on this whole thing and we know it. Maybe he wants to be in a big city. Maybe he would like to go back to Ontario and play for the Leafs. The ultra-market of New York just conveniently happens to be playing very well this season so that's a naturally good option if he wants the big lights. He's been in a small market his entire career and might not want to stay in another one (although re-signing for so long in Columbus might mean it doesn't matter to him).

The guy's contract runs out in 2018 which is huge. Maybe he doesn't want to commit to an unproven winner (in the playoffs) for that long. Maybe he isn't a fan of potentially playing his old team six times a year or whatever if re-alignment doesn't occur. Maybe he doesn't see the incredible potential of this team with him added into it. Who knows what he's thinking? Also, who knows what's been going on behind the scenes? Maybe (knowing Poile it's probably likely) they've gotten inside info from Nash's camp. Whatever the case is, you've gotta give up something to get something, and I think the deal we offered isn't a disaster for us.

I don't want to really turn this into a different sport debate but I just went through this with my NBA team two months ago. As a long-suffering LA Clippers fan I was really skeptical trading for a superstar in Chris Paul and giving up a couple of tremendous young pieces, a good veteran, and a first round pick in the process. I thought it was a stupid move for one player. But then as soon as he gets on the court it's a completely different team with a winner's mentality. I know hockey isn't basketball, but if this team can snag Rick Nash I see the same thing happening. Except for the Preds it isn't having a 'winner's mentality', it's an 'elite team' mentality.

Can you guys imagine Pekka Rinne, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, and Rick Nash as our core for years to come? Yeah, I'll give up Wilson, Ellis and a couple other pieces for that.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
maplepred

What if we could manage to deal Wilson, Blum, Lindback and two firsts???

Then we keep Ellis and still have him and josi for future!!

Old
02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
maplepred

Also,

Is Nash decides he won't play for Nashville, then what does Poile do?

Roy? Stastny? Or does he have a hidden trick up his sleeve?? Seems to be going big...
...maybe getzlaf?? Iginla??

Old
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Also,

Is Nash decides he won't play for Nashville, then what does Poile do?

Roy? Stastny? Or does he have a hidden trick up his sleeve?? Seems to be going big...
...maybe getzlaf?? Iginla??
more like nash isn't going to happen.. then look for ak46 or nothing

Old
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
more like nash isn't going to happen.. then look for ak46 or nothing
What if the ducks heard about the huge offer we laid out for Nash, maybe they call Poile to see why kind of similar offer he would do for Ryan??

Old
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
What if the ducks heard about the huge offer we laid out for Nash, maybe they call Poile to see why kind of similar offer he would do for Ryan??
The Ducks are only 6 pts out of 8th, with a game in hand, the Ryan ship sailed a long time ago.

I think folks need to be prepared that we're likely to pick up Andrei Kostitsyn, and that's going to be it. Setting ourselves up for major disappointment expecting anything bigger.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
very possible.. if ANA didn't go on a run to playoff contention

Old
02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
The Ducks are only 6 pts out of 8th, with a game in hand. The Ryan ship sailed a long time ago.

I think folks need to be prepared that we're likely to pick up Andrei Kostitsyn, and that's going to be it. Setting ourselves up for major disappointment.
I wouldn't be disappointed with AK at all. He's a solid player and could be had for much cheaper as a rental. AK would inevitably be a letdown for a lot of people after the serious Nash talk though.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I'm hoping our Plan B is Stasny. That would be awesome.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm hoping our Plan B is Stasny. That would be awesome.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
*SMACK*

Anaheim is six points back with a game in hand on Dallas, LA, and Calgary, and two on Minnesota. Why would they make Ryan available when they have a shot at playoff contention that he is a major part of?

Closed Thread