HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards, was he worth it all?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2012, 12:41 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Lundqvist has been phenomenal every season of his NHL career. He was Vezina-worthy last season, too. The awful offense held this team back. Now, the offense, still far from great, is serviceable. The biggest reason for the improvement is Richards.
you'll notice that tonight Buffalo had Gaustad's line going up against Richard's line; leaving who to play against the GAS line? That depth of talent definitely helps us each game.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:58 AM
broadwayblue

Speaking of Richards, does anyone have the slightest clue what could possibly have been thinking when he iced the puck on the delayed penalty? Hank finally gets to the bench and we have control of the puck ready for a rush down ice with an extra attacker and he just fires it in their zone? Did he have a stroke? Seemed like he also had the puck taken from him several times on the exact same play entering the offensive zone on the power play. I'm definitely not anti-Richards...but what the heck was he doing tonight?

Old
02-26-2012, 01:11 AM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

He certainly has been sucking for a while now. Don't know if he was worth it, but all I can say is that from what I remember from free agent signings in recent history, they start off about as good as they are gunna get and then get worse year after year.(See Redden, Gomez, Drury, etc.) Lets hope thats not the case with Richards.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:19 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
His ES production is exactly identical to his 90 point season in Dallas. The biggest difference is his 41 PPPs vs his... 4 he's on pace for this year.

You guys really are blowing this **** out of proportion. He's the same player he was in Dallas. It's the powerplay, stupid.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:42 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

We have the best winning percentage in the league... and he has 7 GWG...

yes... and can we at least get to the playoffs? He was brought in to bring us over the top.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:04 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Speaking of Richards, does anyone have the slightest clue what could possibly have been thinking when he iced the puck on the delayed penalty? Hank finally gets to the bench and we have control of the puck ready for a rush down ice with an extra attacker and he just fires it in their zone? Did he have a stroke? Seemed like he also had the puck taken from him several times on the exact same play entering the offensive zone on the power play. I'm definitely not anti-Richards...but what the heck was he doing tonight?
Not the smartest move but I think he was trying to take a shot on net to get the whistle in the Buffalo zone thus giving the Rangers the faceoff in the offensive zone.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Not the smartest move but I think he was trying to take a shot on net to get the whistle in the Buffalo zone thus giving the Rangers the faceoff in the offensive zone.
PP automatically start in the O zone

Old
02-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Onion Boy

Richards was making those WOW passes earlier in the year but his teammates weren't ready for them. I told myself "just give it time". But it seems like Richards has changed his game to fit the system. No more WOW passes.

He is still incredibly clutch, but frustrating to watch right now.

Hoping for more clutch in the POs.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
PP automatically start in the O zone
Not last night. The face off was at our blueline.

Old
02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

His offensive production is certainly down, but he's buying into Torts' defense-first game and the team is succeding. Richards is better than any of the options that were available this offseason with the Rangers cap space. Fans tend to have high expectations of elite players, so I'd compare this to alternatives, not ideals.

He's really important to their center depth - it gives them flexibility to not always need Boyle or Dubi on the ice for important faceoffs. Anisimov and Stepan are 47 and 45% on faceoffs, both big improvements over last year, and Torts has credited Richards with helping them as centers and on faceoffs.

In Summary:

-Eric Christensen is no longer centering Marian Gaborik on the first line.
-Signing Brad Richards allowed the Rangers to stop carrying guys like Drury and EC as utilities for faceoffs.
-Rangers wouldn't the #1 team if they went with #2 free agent center Tim Connolly.

Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
His ES production is exactly identical to his 90 point season in Dallas. The biggest difference is his 41 PPPs vs his... 4 he's on pace for this year.

You guys really are blowing this **** out of proportion. He's the same player he was in Dallas. It's the powerplay, stupid.
This, this, this, 100% this.

Old
02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post

Definitely a big reason for his low numbers is the PP. He averages 30 points a year on the PP, this season hes on pace for around 20. If you add the 10 PP points hes off hes still only on pace for around 65 points. Not terrible but he would still off his career average by 10 points

Old
02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Greg in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
I think (I'm not 100% sure though) that was because Richards iced the puck. I read somewhere that Miller had skated to the bench thinking it was a delayed call on the Rangers, so I'm wondering if Richards blasted the puck down the ice to try and beat Miller back to the net.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholt168 View Post
This, this, this, 100% this.

.....and yet we are discussing another high profile player that many feel is not the player he was before he came here.

I was wrong about Richards. I was against getting him. But he's made the team better. He's done some good things, scored clutch goals. No question we're a better team with him than with out.

But he does not seem to be at the level he was before he came to NY. People make lite of it, but the fact is that a lot players don't perform as well when they put on a Rangers sweater.

Not sure why that is.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

can we please w8 and ask that question years from now. so bipolar...

Old
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
adam94
BU Terriers

So far, he wasn't worth it. His production hasn't justified his cap hit. This isn't to say he won't pick it up though.

I'm not gonna call him a bust 2/3 of the way through his first season. I know he's familiar with Torts and we thought it would be an easy adjustment from Dallas but clearly Torts is using a system Richie isn't used to so it might take him some more time. I'm sure he'll come alive in the playoffs and hopefully ride that momentum into next year as well.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Richards was good last night, but this play had me furious. I have zero idea what he possibly thought he could accomplish by doing that.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Crease

As someone mentioned above, Richards was making some passes earlier this season that had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief. Not sure where that game went, but haven't seen it for a while.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Robs789

Quote:
Idk why but he kept doing the same move last night. He would enter the offense zone by himself which would collapse 3-4 of buffalos guys on us and would try to backhand it to the RW but he got it taken away every time.

Its a smart play, but he just kept trying it over and over again even though it wasnt working.

Even though its Cally and Hags on his line, i have a feeling he doesnt trust his linemates.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs789 View Post
Idk why but he kept doing the same move last night. He would enter the offense zone by himself which would collapse 3-4 of buffalos guys on us and would try to backhand it to the RW but he got it taken away every time.

Its a smart play, but he just kept trying it over and over again even though it wasnt working.

Even though its Cally and Hags on his line, i have a feeling he doesnt trust his linemates.
Yeah, Sam and Joe even diagrammed the Buffalo defense showing how the 4 skaters backed into their zone in a box converging toward the center. Yet, rather than skate to the outside or pass to the side earlier Brad kept doing the exact same thing over and over and over. On the third or fourth failed attempt I was yelling at the TV. lol

Old
02-26-2012, 02:43 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
People make lite of it, but the fact is that a lot players don't perform as well when they put on a Rangers sweater.

Not sure why that is.
That may be true, but right now, the more important facts are the following:

- When Brad Richards was acquired, there was no misconstruing that he was not the last addition the team would have to make. Likewise, there were no misrepresentations of the fact that Richards was a very, very good player, but not a megastar. He's not Datsyuk, Malkin, Sedin, Getzlaf, Thornton. He's the next level below those guys.

- This team still is not particularly skilled or talented. Before Richards, the Rangers were unquestionably one of the league's weakest teams in terms of individual offensive skills. One guy was not going to catapult the team into Detroit/Chicago/San Jose/Pittsburgh range.

- We were weak as it is on the LW heading into the season. Dubinsky's offensive inadequacies made our LW situation dreadful. Our top two LWs are a rookie 3rd liner and a third line center converted to first line wing. Richards has spent most of the season playing with an outstanding all-around, but only slightly above-average skillwise, player in Callahan at RW and poor excuses for top-six LWs.

- This is a very defensive-minded team. His numbers were bound to go down.

He still draws defensive attention. Teams barely had to worry about one line on this team last season. Now they have to remit attention to two. He still has scored a bunch of big goals and is still one of the team's top scorers. We're in first place, much better than anyone could have realistically expected this team to be before the season. There are way too many reasons to negate any inclination to start coming down on Richards right now.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
shelaur22

There are a couple of different ways to address this question.

Is he worth his $22 million salary this season? Depends. His stats are not spectacular thus far, but if he helps us to win the Cup no one will bat an eyelash. Then the answer would be "yes."

Is he worth his total contract? No real way to assess that three-quarters of the way through his first season. Ask that question again after his third or fourth season.

Unfortunately for him, the guy used to playing in small markets like Dallas and Tampa is now in the fishbowl of NYC. Whether it's the Giants or the Yankees, this city expects winning sports teams, or at the very least the big money guys to put on a show. A-Rod can tell Richards how his first few seasons as a Yankee were when he was struggling and they couldn't win the world series. And for a guy like Richards, who seems like a quiet, thin-skinned internalizer, the next 8 seasons are either going to be really great or a nightmare.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Robs789

The good thing is that Richards has produced atleast 8+ points for us (off the top of my head) just off of GWG.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Only because (as already pointed out) Richards iced the puck.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Levitate

He hasn't produced points consistently like he probably should be, but I don't think that it's coincidence that the team improved so greatly once he came aboard.

I think there was some natural progression we could expect out of players, but Richards has also helped push them to the top of the conference, and I believe he's had a positive impact on a lot of the other younger players who are having good years

Closed Thread