HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Stepan to Calgary

Old
02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 500
I'd sooner have Anisimov. He doesn't get a whole lot ice time yet he puts up good numbers and in my opinion would be easier to get then stepan.
To Calgary:
Anisimov
6th round pick
To NYR:
Backlund
Greg Neimez
4th round pick

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:22 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Jokinen will never play for NY again.
Doesn't anyone remember the shootout miss?
Thats a pretty dumb reason to exclude a great player from your team. Could also be said that Lunqvist could have clutched up and saved more then 1/3 shots

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Oh wow, if you think a top 20 prospect, a top pairing defenseman and a top 6 winger all relatively young and on kick ass contracts is not enough then I think you have some homer glasses on. Stepan is a good player, but that's more than anyone would even dream of paying for him. He's a smallish 15-20 goal, 50-60 point center. Glencross alone would be just as good for right now.
Who would replace Stepan on his pos? Giordano would not be a top pairing D on our team though. Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh are all better. I like Giordano though.

Like Glencross ALOT but Stepan value to our organization is far greater than these 3 players value would be if this trade went down.

Offer that for Duchene or whatever. We do not want to trade Stepan (unless u get Giroux).

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Oh wow, if you think a top 20 prospect, a top pairing defenseman and a top 6 winger all relatively young and on kick ass contracts is not enough then I think you have some homer glasses on. Stepan is a good player, but that's more than anyone would even dream of paying for him. He's a smallish 15-20 goal, 50-60 point center. Glencross alone would be just as good for right now.
We have no need for a top pairing defenseman when we have 3-4 of them already. No need and no budgetary space for one. We already have several of our own Glencrosses. We could use Bartschi, but we won't fill holes on the wing only to open much harder to fill holes at center ice. Stepan is a smallish 50-60 point center now, in his second NHL season, on a team that plays very conservatively. He'll be a 65-70 point player in his prime.

It's not about value. It's about need. The last thing the Rangers need is to deal away the only young potential first line center in their organization. Nothing the Flames could offer would make that worth the Rangers' while.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Who would replace Stepan on his pos? Giordano would not be a top pairing D on our team though. Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh are all better. I like Giordano though.

Like Glencross ALOT but Stepan value to our organization is far greater than these 3 players value would be if this trade went down.

Offer that for Duchene or whatever. We do not want to trade Stepan (unless u get Giroux).
Giordano is better than everyone you listed with the exception of Staal IMO. He is one of the best shot blockers, can put up 40 points, hits and plays on the PK and PP. It's fine that you don't want to trade Stepan, I feel the same way about Glencross. It's just not fair to include personal sentiments in value of threads. Stepan at this stage is a very good 2nd line center or a below average 1st line center. He could develop into more than that, but right now he's not. Take Gaborik off his line and he likely isn't even a 50 point guy. Glencross was on pace for 32 goals before he was injured and is our best PKer.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
We have no need for a top pairing defenseman when we have 3-4 of them already. No need and no budgetary space for one. We already have several of our own Glencrosses. We could use Bartschi, but we won't fill holes on the wing only to open much harder to fill holes at center ice. Stepan is a smallish 50-60 point center now, in his second NHL season, on a team that plays very conservatively. He'll be a 65-70 point player in his prime.

It's not about value. It's about need. The last thing the Rangers need is to deal away the only young potential first line center in their organization. Nothing the Flames could offer would make that worth the Rangers' while.
You make some good points. There's team chemistry to consider as well. BTW, the ony thing I disagree with is having several Glencrosses. You don't have several wingers who are on pace for 30 goals, play well defensively and play physically. You have one better version in Callahan, but that's it. Which 3-4 guys do you consider top pairing defensemen?

Old
02-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Puckgenius*

Backlund straight up.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:40 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Giordano is better than everyone you listed with the exception of Staal IMO. He is one of the best shot blockers, can put up 40 points, hits and plays on the PK and PP. It's fine that you don't want to trade Stepan, I feel the same way about Glencross. It's just not fair to include personal sentiments in value of threads. Stepan at this stage is a very good 2nd line center or a below average 1st line center. He could develop into more than that, but right now he's not. Take Gaborik off his line and he likely isn't even a 50 point guy. Glencross was on pace for 32 goals before he was injured and is our best PKer.
He put up 45 points mainly without him last season. You seriously think it's impossible for improve by 5 points without Gáborík?

The Rangers have no need to trade Stepan as he has the best chemistry with Gáborík and is oen of the teams best players right now. You also severely underrate our defenseman if you think Staal who currently isn't at 100% form is better than McDonagh, Del Zotto and Girardi who have been spectacular this season.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Backlund straight up.
Would lead to Sather never making a deal with Calgary ever again.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferek Stepaninner View Post
He put up 45 points mainly without him last season. You seriously think it's impossible for improve by 5 points without Gáborík?

The Rangers have no need to trade Stepan as he has the best chemistry with Gáborík and is oen of the teams best players right now. You also severely underrate our defenseman if you think Staal who currently isn't at 100% form is better than McDonagh, Del Zotto and Girardi who have been spectacular this season.
I think he could improve by 5 points, but I thought the same of Backlund. I'm just saying Stepan's primary contribution is offense and he's 113th in goals and 87th in points. Let's not go crazy on his value right now. He's primary value is hopefully his very bright future. My argument is that right now Glencross and Giordano have more value and Bartschi mitigates the future loss. I'd never (neither would Feaster) move Glencross, Giordano and Bartschi for him, so the point is moot. I'm just saying the Flames could acquire him if they wanted.

I haven't seen a ton of Rangers games this year, went mostly by the games I saw last year. The guy I questioned was MDZ, looking at his numbers they're very impressive and Staal has been much worse than I thought. Weird how perecptions can be so far from reality in 10 months time.

Old
02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

lmfao Joker and a mid-pick.

There is nothing I'd want from Calgary for Stepan, literally nothing. Not even Iginla, Cammy and their 1st. Just one of those players there is zero reason to deal unless it's for someone ridiculous.

Bad trading partners in general.

02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
You make some good points. There's team chemistry to consider as well. BTW, the ony thing I disagree with is having several Glencrosses. You don't have several wingers who are on pace for 30 goals, play well defensively and play physically. You have one better version in Callahan, but that's it. Which 3-4 guys do you consider top pairing defensemen?
Hagelin and Dubinsky (if he stays here) should both be good for 20-25 goals in the future. We have Kreider and Fasth coming up on the LW. We don't need Glencross.

Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, and Del Zotto are or potentially will be top pairing defensemen. We also have a great second pairing defenseman in Michael Sauer, Stralman has been solid for us, and Erixon and McIlrath developing. The only thing we need on the blueline is a depth third pairing player.

Quote:
I'm just saying the Flames could acquire him if they wanted.

I haven't seen a ton of Rangers games this year, went mostly by the games I saw last year. The guy I questioned was MDZ, looking at his numbers they're very impressive and Staal has been much worse than I thought. Weird how perecptions can be so far from reality in 10 months time.
And we're saying they couldn't. Staal has been much worse because he returned from a serious concussion after missing 40 games, training camp and not working out this summer. He's slowly playing his way into game shape.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferek Stepaninner View Post
McD, MDZ, Girardi, and Staal are all valuable assets for NY now. They play the bulk of minutes for one of the league's stingiest defenses. And most importantly, they're all young and the best is yet to come for all of them. Realistically, it would take a blockbuster deal to get Sather to even consider parting with any of them.

When I earlier said that there's nobody on the Calgary roster that NY needs right now in order to pry Stepan loose, I meant no disrespect to the Flames. As other people have stated, it just so happens that neither team has anything to offer that the other truly needs that would better their chances to win the SC, not only for this year, but for the next few seasons.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
it just so happens that neither team has anything to offer that the other truly needs that would better their chances to win the SC
I would argue every team has at least 1 or 2 players that could help any top end teams(such as the Rangers) win the Cup. Rangers may be having a great year this season, but I would be surprised if they win the cup with the roster they currently have. The Rangers sort of remind me of the Canadiens from a few years back who won the Eastern Conference, everything just clicked right

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
allcar67

Stepan's ability to play with Gaborik is what has made this year's Rangers work. Unless they're bringing back a young superstar, there is absolutely no reason for the Rangers to even think about dealing Stepan.

allcar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:39 AM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I would argue every team has at least 1 or 2 players that could help any top end teams(such as the Rangers) win the Cup.
Yes, but what good are acquiring those key "1 or 2 players" on one team, if the other team has to trade a core player or two in order to make the deal happen? At best, you're just spinning your wheels. But in the case of dealing a core player like Stepan, it could very easily make the Rangers worse off.

Just the fact that some folks here scoff at the idea of Stepan being a #1C shows how they have no understanding of Stepan's value to his present employer. With a Torts coached team, the old cliche about the sum being greater than the value of the individual parts is very true. Stepan may not be a PPG player, but his playmaking, clutch scoring, and his ability to bring out the best in Gaborik is something that I don't know if anyone other than a regular observer of NYR games would be able to readily appreciate.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 12:48 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Thats a pretty dumb reason to exclude a great player from your team. Could also be said that Lunqvist could have clutched up and saved more then 1/3 shots
If they liked him they would have resigned him...
He didn't suit the team.
Personally, I don't like building teams with shoot first centres either...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1197
Like someone said earlier, you guys are making Stepan out like he's the next coming of Crosby... Yes he probably has more value than anybody on the flames roster and prospect pool...but he's not a proven #1 centermen just yet.

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote