HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boclair: Confirmed--Preds in the Nash sweeps

Old
02-26-2012, 02:09 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
This whole Nash situation is fascinating.

I can't remember being this excited for the trade deadline since we picked up Foppa. Buckle up ladies and gents and enjoy the ride!
Yup, so much adrenaline flowing atm. Idk if ill be able to sleep till after the deadline.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:11 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I see what you are saying, but to me Wilson has more tools. Size, better in his own end, strength, consistency.

With that said, I really dont want to trade Wilson but Nash is one of the few players id be content trading him for. Ill be upset... But its Nash.

If Poile could pull it off with out getting rid of Willy id be a happy happy feller. Make it happen DP!
I do admit Wilson has those PF skills and good defensive tools, but Smith is still a rookie and his skills will only improve with more TOI and time under Trotz's wing.

I do admit they're both great players and I'd hate to have to lose one if we could help it. I'm not going to lose sleep though if we lose one for Nash.

I still think we're more likely to sign a top-6 guy instead of a top-3.

Also, CBJ would be stupid to accept the offers other than Nashvilles...the way the Preds set the bar means that CBJ knows he's worth more and people should be willing to pay for it. I'd rather have an unhappy Nash than be fired for making such a terrible trade. Though once again...Howson hasn't been lighting the world on fire with his trades.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
This whole Nash situation is fascinating. So many factors at play here.

Who is on Nash's list?

Does Nash expand his list to include Nashville if he wants to get out before the deadline?

Does Howson cave in and trade him to TOR/NYR for less just because Nash refuses anywhere else?

Or does Howson stand his ground if he doesn't get a better offer from NYR/TOR and holds onto Nash until the offseason?

I think it's fair to speculate Nashville has the best offer right now. I can't remember being this excited for the trade deadline since we picked up Foppa. Buckle up ladies and gents and enjoy the ride!
I hope Nashville gets him. They need him more than the Rangers imo and I don't want the Rangers to match that either.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:14 AM
predwings

Quote:
Yup, so much adrenaline flowing atm. Idk if ill be able to sleep till after the deadline.
I'm extremely lucky...I have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off..so I can stay up all night Sunday to Monday at the deadline. Then I'll have all Tuesday to recuperate from the mass adrenaline and excitement.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:15 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I hope Nashville gets him. They need him more than the Rangers imo and I don't want the Rangers to match that either.
That really all depends on Nash. Even as division rivals if we offered Wlison,Ellis,Lindback,High pick CBJ would almost have to take it. That would accelerate their rebuild dramatically.

No one knows EXACTLY who is on Nash's list but from has been speculated they have all been successful teams in big markets. Perhaps Nash wants a taste of the spotlight and his mind can't be changed/

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 02:16 AM
predwings

Quote:
I think he's not going to waive for Nashville and that he'll finish the season with CBJ instead. With this offer on the table..I have to say the Rangers, Nucks, and Leafs are pretty much throwing rocks at a tank right now. They're going to have to up the ante if they really want him.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
I think he's not going to waive for Nashville and that he'll finish the season with CBJ instead. With this offer on the table..I have to say the Rangers, Nucks, and Leafs are pretty much throwing rocks at a tank right now. They're going to have to up the ante if they really want him.
Yeah but I don't want them to up the ante, it's not worth it. If the Preds are that committed to him then congrats they deserve him. Besides I sorta like the Preds so it would beat him going to Toronto or the stupid Sharks.

Also, if a team was that committed to me to offer up the farm like that, then I'd waive for them. But that's just me and needless to say I'm not Rick Nash.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:32 AM
predwings

Quote:
Yeah but I don't want them to up the ante, it's not worth it. If the Preds are that committed to him then congrats they deserve him. Besides I sorta like the Preds so it would beat him going to Toronto or the stupid Sharks.

Also, if a team was that committed to me to offer up the farm like that, then I'd waive for them. But that's just me and needless to say I'm not Rick Nash.
Yea, the debate is definitely raging:

Nash wants smaller/larger market?

Nash wants conteder (yes)

Nash will waive for these 6 teams... ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Nobody really knows the list..it's all just speculation and the rumors about bigger markets like NYR and TOR and SJS are just because they have larger fanbases who want it to happen.

Forsberg didn't have us on his list until we made the offer..then he came.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Yea, the debate is definitely raging:

Nash wants smaller/larger market?

Nash wants conteder (yes)

Nash will waive for these 6 teams... ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Nobody really knows the list..it's all just speculation and the rumors about bigger markets like NYR and TOR and SJS are just because they have larger fanbases who want it to happen.

Forsberg didn't have us on his list until we made the offer..then he came.
It's been exciting!

Old
02-26-2012, 02:38 AM
predwings

Quote:
It's been exciting!

Old
02-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Lol I've been doing the Nash thing for a month with the Rangers....it was getting dull but the Preds rumors just lit a fire back under this thing

Old
02-26-2012, 03:03 AM
predwings

Quote:
Lol I've been doing the Nash thing for a month with the Rangers....it was getting dull but the Preds rumors just lit a fire back under this thing
That's always how it works and I just saw the new twitter trend...#NashtoNash lol, I like it. Before I saw that I was thinking to myself...I'll just relax and watch a movie and go to sleep...after seeing it I'm back on HFboards and posting/refreshing every 10 seconds.

Old
02-26-2012, 03:09 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
That's always how it works and I just saw the new twitter trend...#NashtoNash lol, I like it. Before I saw that I was thinking to myself...I'll just relax and watch a movie and go to sleep...after seeing it I'm back on HFboards and posting/refreshing every 10 seconds.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:59 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Agreed. Crazy and awesome!!!!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:40 AM
handtrick

Wonder if Poile has had Weber and Suter give Rick a call and talk with him about maybe changing his mind.

On the other hand, if one or both know in their heart that they aren't going to sign here long-term anyway that call would be worthless or even detrimental.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I am for this trade because it mitigates the loss of Suter or both if it does happen, but most likely, it keeps at least one of if not both here. Frankly, that is worth sacrificing Wilson to the Wolves. Ditto Ellis. This is coming from a guy who has defended Wilson's talent the entire time he has been here and liked the Ellis pick from day one.

On Wilson vs. Smith - I just can't figure out which one will be better. Wilson is really coming into his own. He has a knack for scoring big goals, and his hands are really good. Smith has really good wheels and is one of the few players we have a legitimate shot at developing at center. Ugh. I think in terms of this trade, it makes more sense to move Wilson and keep the center.

02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I am for this trade because it mitigates the loss of Suter or both if it does happen, but most likely, it keeps at least one of if not both here. Frankly, that is worth sacrificing Wilson to the Wolves. Ditto Ellis. This is coming from a guy who has defended Wilson's talent the entire time he has been here and liked the Ellis pick from day one.

On Wilson vs. Smith - I just can't figure out which one will be better. Wilson is really coming into his own. He has a knack for scoring big goals, and his hands are really good. Smith has really good wheels and is one of the few players we have a legitimate shot at developing at center. Ugh. I think in terms of this trade, it makes more sense to move Wilson and keep the center.
Yep. I agree with all that. If Poile trades for Nash, I these boards will absolutely explode

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 02-26-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:52 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Wonder if Poile has had Weber and Suter give Rick a call and talk with him about maybe changing his mind.

On the other hand, if one or both know in their heart that they aren't going to sign here long-term anyway that call would be worthless or even detrimental.
Have Rinne call then.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:49 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

You guys hate me and do not want me to succeed...

I woke up early so that I could finish this novel, take the quiz over it, and then study for my Arabic quiz that I have to take tomorrow. Signed on just to make sure nothing had exploded while I was asleep (and to check my PMs). Then, I saw this thread title...

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
azrok22

Quote:
. . .

Who is on Nash's list?

. . .
Let's ask Rick!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Come on guys, we're nashville, we're not getting Nash.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

OBVIOUSLY we know Nash can control his own destiny, but here goes anyway:

I think this trade is worth it even if we give up Wilson and Ellis in the process.

-Wilson will not become Rick Nash. I like him a lot and I have enjoyed his progression into the player he's becoming, but from a forward-forward swap perspective, Nash gets the win.

-Ellis is a fantastic young prospect but if giving him up for an "essential guarantee" (I'm looking at you Suter) that Sutes and Webs both stay, while adding a Rick Nash in the process, it has to be worth it in the long run.

-I don't know what to say about Laakso or Lindback because I don't know which one is involved, but it's something we have to be willing to part with.

-Picks are whatever, but again, is our first round pick going to be Rick Nash one day?

Bottom line to me is this: Nash has the final say on this whole thing and we know it. Maybe he wants to be in a big city. Maybe he would like to go back to Ontario and play for the Leafs. The ultra-market of New York just conveniently happens to be playing very well this season so that's a naturally good option if he wants the big lights. He's been in a small market his entire career and might not want to stay in another one (although re-signing for so long in Columbus might mean it doesn't matter to him).

The guy's contract runs out in 2018 which is huge. Maybe he doesn't want to commit to an unproven winner (in the playoffs) for that long. Maybe he isn't a fan of potentially playing his old team six times a year or whatever if re-alignment doesn't occur. Maybe he doesn't see the incredible potential of this team with him added into it. Who knows what he's thinking? Also, who knows what's been going on behind the scenes? Maybe (knowing Poile it's probably likely) they've gotten inside info from Nash's camp. Whatever the case is, you've gotta give up something to get something, and I think the deal we offered isn't a disaster for us.

I don't want to really turn this into a different sport debate but I just went through this with my NBA team two months ago. As a long-suffering LA Clippers fan I was really skeptical trading for a superstar in Chris Paul and giving up a couple of tremendous young pieces, a good veteran, and a first round pick in the process. I thought it was a stupid move for one player. But then as soon as he gets on the court it's a completely different team with a winner's mentality. I know hockey isn't basketball, but if this team can snag Rick Nash I see the same thing happening. Except for the Preds it isn't having a 'winner's mentality', it's an 'elite team' mentality.

Can you guys imagine Pekka Rinne, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, and Rick Nash as our core for years to come? Yeah, I'll give up Wilson, Ellis and a couple other pieces for that.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
VFL615*

I bet there is a lot of under doing stuff that "could" make this deal happen. I think Nash would come here in a heartbeat if he had the word from Suter and Weber that they would be Preds with him. Pekka, Nash, Weber, Suter, and are cast of players with 10+ goals. Nashville is a small market like Columbus but 100 times better in every aspect. I do not see why he would turn the offer down. We are better than San Jose and are going to be. Rangers have not been a good team in years and would have to blow up the team to afford him.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
handtrick

Does anybody know for sure if the CBA allows Poile to directly talk to Nash about why he might want to allow Nashville to be one of those teams on this list, or does all that potential talk have to go through his agent?

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Does anybody know for sure if the CBA allows Poile to directly talk to Nash about why he might want to allow Nashville to be one of those teams on this list, or does all that potential talk have to go through his agent?
I'm not a rule buff, but I seriously, seriously, doubt a GM could talk directly to a player under contract with another team. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if a GM weren't even allowed to talk to a player's agent if he's currently under contract with another team and it has to be strictly GM to GM. Again, I don't know I'm just thinking out loud.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote