HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Washington Shake Up

Old
02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Montreal - Washington Shake Up

Would a package with addition pieces around:

Plekanec
+

For

Laich
+
+

Skilled centers in different ways, Montreal could use Laich for their #2 center with size. Plekanec could be a set up guy to go with Ovechkin or Semin.

I think a guy like Schultz for cap reasons and a guy like Weber cold help out as well to help equalize a deal.

Do you think something could work and wold each teams look for a shakeup to help each team.

I know Washington is getting a little hot and might be finding their groove, but still questions around the team for work ethic and attitudes in the room and such.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM
shotsavereboundSCORE

Pretty interesting idea actually...

Washington: IMO washington needs to decide this off season on their long-term plan. If it's going to be a defensive, grind it out type of system then Laich is the ideal #2. If they believe the only way to be dominant with their current core is to open it up (which it is), then Plekanec would be the better fit. One reason they may be reluctant to make this trade is if they think it makes Johansson redundant, but I think they need the proven playmaker.

MONT: Really depends on if they are able to add another skilled center with top 6 potential, ala Derrick Brassard. If not, they are really losing too much offensive skill in this trade, and let's not forget that even though he's not big like Laich, Plekanec is a very good two-way center.

In sum, Plekanec is the better player, and Montreal only makes this deal if they can add another center.

shotsavereboundSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Any deal involving Plekanc in which the main piece coming back to MTL is Laich is terrible for the Habs.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Edgy

Pleks is better than Laich on a worse team. So what is the ++ coming back to Montreal that you envision would make Montreal an improved team?

As it stand, this is a bad deal for Montreal.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Any deal involving Plekanc in which the main piece coming back to MTL is Laich is terrible for the Habs.
The plus's would preferably be

Laich + 1st rounder(WSH or COL) + ?(Eakin)

For

Plekanec + Weber/Pick

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
100% agreed

Those ++ would need to be a lot

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:04 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Would a package with addition pieces around:

Plekanec
+

For

Laich
+
+

Skilled centers in different ways, Montreal could use Laich for their #2 center with size. Plekanec could be a set up guy to go with Ovechkin or Semin.

I think a guy like Schultz for cap reasons and a guy like Weber cold help out as well to help equalize a deal.

Do you think something could work and wold each teams look for a shakeup to help each team.

I know Washington is getting a little hot and might be finding their groove, but still questions around the team for work ethic and attitudes in the room and such.
Yet another fail of a proposal.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

I'd consider Johansson as the + since Pleks would make him expendable. Habs would have to add though. Maybe Plekanec + 2nd for Johansson + Laich.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:23 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
I'd consider Johansson as the + since Pleks would make him expendable. Habs would have to add though. Maybe Plekanec + 2nd for Johansson + Laich.
deal

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Trade two centers for one? That's going to fix our center depth how?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:45 PM
um

Quote:
calm down now we're not trading mojo, especially if were giving up laich in the process

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Halpern for a 6th! Huge shakeup!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
calm down now we're not trading mojo, especially if were giving up laich in the process
I think you guys are underestimating Plekanec and how tough his minutes are in Montreal. Toughest quality of competition amongst Habs forwards, best corsi relative to quality of competition, lowest offensive zone start percentage... the fact that he's producing offensively is remarkable. He's basically Laich + top line center ability, at just 500K more per year. Having him on the second line with Semin would finally give us the secondary scoring we need. Meanwhile, we can replace Laich with a shutdown center from free agency like Jay McClement at less than half the cost. Having Backstrom, Plekanec, McClement, and Halpern down the middle gives us incredible depth not only offensively but defensively. I'd be pretty damn excited for a forward corps like this:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Kuznetsov-Plekanec-Semin
Chimera-McClement-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

I'd be even more excited if we could get rid of Ward and replace him with a real 3rd liner like Brad Boyes, who'd probably cost less.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Pass on turtleneck....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Canadiens fans seem obsessed with not having this guy on their team.

He's on a six-year, $30M deal. He's finishing up year two.

He's not going anywhere, and he's certainly not going anywhere at the trade deadline. He's not a rental. He's a good player, and he's going to be a Hab for years to come.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:12 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
I think you guys are underestimating Plekanec and how tough his minutes are in Montreal. Toughest quality of competition amongst Habs forwards, best corsi relative to quality of competition, lowest offensive zone start percentage... the fact that he's producing offensively is remarkable. He's basically Laich + top line center ability, at just 500K more per year. Having him on the second line with Semin would finally give us the secondary scoring we need. Meanwhile, we can replace Laich with a shutdown center from free agency like Jay McClement at less than half the cost. Having Backstrom, Plekanec, McClement, and Halpern down the middle gives us incredible depth not only offensively but defensively. I'd be pretty damn excited for a forward corps like this:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Kuznetsov-Plekanec-Semin
Chimera-McClement-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

I'd be even more excited if we could get rid of Ward and replace him with a real 3rd liner like Brad Boyes, who'd probably cost less.
Avs won't trade McClement.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The part where we get one top 6 center for a top 6 winger and a converted bottom 6 center.

Laich brings about as much in his current role as a Halpern or Pahlsson.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:51 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Punishment View Post
Avs won't trade McClement.
A) I think they would because they have plenty of center depth, and B) that doesn't even matter, because he's a UFA on July 1.

Old
02-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
A) I think they would because they have plenty of center depth, and B) that doesn't even matter, because he's a UFA on July 1.
Avs and McClement are working on an extension and they won't trade their best PKer when they're fighting for a playoff spot.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote