HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

#4 Blues (37-17-7) at #3 Jets (30-26-7) Sat Feb 25

Old
02-25-2012, 05:41 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The Blues played a far better game than most of you are giving them credit for playing. They made the defensive plays they needed to make. Halak is a Blue. He played well. Winnipeg at home is a great team and they were as fired up to play as you could imagine. Wheeler and Kane were crazy good. I loved the way Winnipeg played. Loved it. Really rooting for them the rest of the way. But the Blues held them to non-dangerous shots in the first and played a strong third period. Winnipeg was great in the second and the Blues had a few mistakes in the second. The Blues played very physically, worked very, very hard, and got a win.

If you were "embarrassed" or "humiliated" by this game, there's a way to go in understanding hockey. Sorry, but the Blues played FAR FAR FAR better than you guys are crediting them with putting up. The effort was there. Winnipeg played a lights-out game, at home, with elite performances from their sop skill guys, and the Blues bent but didn't break. Over an 82-game slate, those kind of games are going to happen. I actually thought that when it got to 4-on-4 where the Blues typically dominate, they'd end it in OT. Oshie almost did. Pietrangelo was stepping up at the end of this game and in OT to make plays to be a difference maker. Love that guy's game.

What I thought Winnipeg did well was really close off the front of the net in the 3d when the Blues had their push. They were sloppy defensively in the first but they closed ranks and played a committed team game after that. We Blues fans are used to seeing that from the Blues, who clog the slot and force shots to the outside. A ton of shots Winnipeg had were from bad angles. Those who judge the game on the shot total are missing the fact that the Blues were a big factor in those shots being from those outside angles. Very few were shots from the slot where 2/3 to 3/4 of goals in the NHL are scored.
As a Jets fan who was at the game I would say this is a pretty fair assessment. I thought the Jets had a slight edge but it was a lot closer than the shot total would indicate.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:43 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
don`t you feel dirty after typing this?!?
Ya gotta take one for the team sometimes.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
TerminatorBlue

Watched the game on CBC, it was a pretty good game but thought Winnipeg got the better of us. Wheeler impressed me he was all over the place! Obviously I'm glad we won but I'm glad Winnipeg got a point I would rather see Winnipeg in the playoffs instead of Toronto,Washington or Florida.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:58 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
Jet's fan coming in peace! Thanks for the great game Blues love how simple of a game you guys play, don't mind seeing my team lose when they play as good as they did today. Congrats on the season you guys are having good luck the rest of the way!
The Blues dominated OT. Although, they seem to be really good at 4 on 4, but the playoffs are 5 on 5. So who knows. It would have been a heck of game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulChaser17 View Post
Heh, nhl.com used Halak-ness Monster for their headline of this game. Awesome.
I'm surprised it took them this long. I haven't seen them use it before.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulChaser17 View Post
Heh, nhl.com used Halak-ness Monster for their headline of this game. Awesome.
Nice! I heard Panger call him that too...

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:23 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Anyone else think that puck didn't have enough speed to get across the line on the 4th shootout attempt? Was a great save and great reaction by Halak but I kinda thought the puck might've stopped w/o going all the way across the line. Had very little speed. Just a minor detail.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 50/50 IMO that if the puck goes untouched that it completely crosses the line. Either way, heads-up reaction from Halak (with maybe a bit of inadvertant help from the crowd).

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
No I think it had enough to get across the line.
I agree. It would have trickled across. Great save.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:41 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Kills me to think that we could have had Wheeler at one point last season, and for virtually nothing at that.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Late to the party, but just wanted to wish you all the best of luck for the rest of the season. You have no idea how much I love the makeup of your team, I couldn't get over how big the Blues looked compared to the Jets. Also, I knew Backes and Oshie were great players, but wow. They made an impact every single shift it seemed.

If you keep getting goaltending like you did this afternoon, I can see a nice long playoff run this spring. Again, this team looks built to not only survive but thrive in the playoffs.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Lot of crossover love between Blues & Bruins, Blues & Jets fans this past week.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Lot of crossover love between Blues & Bruins, Blues & Jets fans this past week.
That's actually pretty funny. A handful of the Jets posters/mods were commenting on how famously Bruins and Jets fans had been getting along. It's like a damn love triangle!

Looking forward to eventually renewing our old Central division rivalry. Blues vs. Jets, those were some fun games.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:36 PM
stlweir

The bottom line is without a star scoring forward the Blues are still one of the best young teams in the league. They are not a favorite but they are a contender for the cup. This team is built for now and the future. Finally a contender with management that has patience.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
That's actually pretty funny. A handful of the Jets posters/mods were commenting on how famously Bruins and Jets fans had been getting along. It's like a damn love triangle!

Looking forward to eventually renewing our old Central division rivalry. Blues vs. Jets, those were some fun games.
The last time the Blues played in Winnipeg, I was 5 so I never had an appreciation for Winnipeg fans before today.

Going to have to make the trek up for a game there as that building seems like it's unbelievable.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Twister18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
The last time the Blues played in Winnipeg, I was 5 so I never had an appreciation for Winnipeg fans before today.

Going to have to make the trek up for a game there as that building seems like it's unbelievable.
I didn't get to see the game but must say that the Jets fans that popped in to congratulate us were very classy! Doesn't happen too much in sports these days!

Twister18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:57 AM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
As a Jets fan who was at the game I would say this is a pretty fair assessment. I thought the Jets had a slight edge but it was a lot closer than the shot total would indicate.

Good luck with the rest of the season.
Good luck to your Jets! I watched the game after i got home from work tonight, and i couldn't believe how fast the Jets played. It seemed like a non-stop barrage of shots on net, and i'm glad Halak stood tall in the game.
Not going to lie, i would love to see a Jets Blues Stanley Cup Final.
Would make for a great series.
Here's hoping you guys can make it to the playoffs and shut down the other teams.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 03:59 AM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Kills me to think that we could have had Wheeler at one point last season, and for virtually nothing at that.

Wheeler was an absolute beast tonight. Robbed of a hat-trick by a post, but i was thoroughly impressed by his play, and the Jets as a whole. They're the team i'm rooting for in the East.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:00 AM
stlweir

Wheeler looked like the best player on the ice yet he only had 11 goals coming into the game. With AMac and Perron back the Blues are now capable of winning shoot outs. Shattenkirk looks a little tight to me in the shoot outs. I'm guessing he is a stud in practice and just needs to bring the shoot out skill to the games.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister18 View Post
I didn't get to see the game but must say that the Jets fans that popped in to congratulate us were very classy! Doesn't happen too much in sports these days!
Indeed! I really like them. It's nice to hear things like that instead of the usual bad-mouthing.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote