HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers and Caps talking - Gagner

Old
02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
How is he defensively? Not flaming but I dont see alot of wins coming out of the oil change and while hes putting up good stats is he a key component to allowing goals?
Not too bad at all actually. He's currently +4 on the 29th place team which says a lot. He's also made great strides in the FO circle too - 50.2% for the year so far.

That being said. I'm not ready to give up on the kid yet unless it's a legit #2 C coming back or a top 2 defenseman in a package deal. If he's still around come draft day and we end up with Mikhail Grigorenko, then it may be a different story.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
M Ace

vCash: 500
It is not unreasonal to think that Gagner vs. Alzner would make sense valueside. Or Orlov + Holtby for Gags. Player vs. player it's is a good thought.

But that is not what controls this kind of deals. It's how Tortellini and McFly is thinking in this case.

The conclusion is that we fans always overrates our own players and Oilers fans (as myself) think Gagner can give us Drew Doughty or Caps fans thinks Alzner can give you Malkin or Giroux kind of players.

Just relax, my friends and enjoy the ride!

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:44 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I would do;
Wideman, and our 1st for Gagner.
or Wideman, Eakin, 2nd
Yes, Steve Tambellini would love to trade his burgeoning 2nd line center (1st liner with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins out) for your pending UFA, unproven prospect and draft pick. That makes complete and total sense for the Edmonton Oilers.

I "would do" Gilbert, Lander and a 2nd for Johansson, but something tells me you wouldn't.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:45 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Just. Awful.

No.

I would like Gagner, but not for anything like what is being tossed about here.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
As they say with Eklund rumors . . . Where there's smoke, there's smoke.

Honestly though, if a deal was to be made I think Orlov and a pick would be plenty
Plenty of overpayment.

Caps are not going to trade any of their young players from the current NHL roster.

Something like Cody Eakin and a first round pick the Caps got if they move Wideman or Vokoun elsewhere before the TDL is what the offer would be.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:52 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Keep Alzner out of any deals. GMGM chose him over Gagner (well, just barely) and nothing has happened in their developments that would make him re-evaluate (and that's not a knock on Gagner so don't take it as one).

I imagine GMGM still really likes Gagner, and if Hunter looked like he'd have any future here (really up in the air there even if you're optimistic) it'd be natural that he liked him too. But there's probably nothing there in terms of an actual deal.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Capathetic

The caps are lacking shutdown defenders atm I dont see Alzner being available. The caps young defensive core is tough to let go of because it seems each night a different member of that group shines but in different ways.

Carlson-in a sophmore slump but still having a good season numbers wise considering he doesnt get any pp time.

Orlov-Russian factor,his vision and skills with the puck may be top 3 on this team and thats saying something consider its the caps. Hes young and all that holds him back are his mistakes which given his age is understandable.

Alzner-see above...hes just the only legit thing to a smart safe play shutdown defender the caps have. He was a top 5 pick that the caps developed and his offensive game is starting to come around..hes looking like the next Suter if he were given pp time to increase his point totals.

I believe the term is bad trading partners. It seems that they have alot of depth at this position but in reality this is looking like the future in dc. Gagner is a nice player and id like him on the caps...but I think 1st+Eakin is the best we could do atm.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Beerfish

I would think any deal made to get Gagner would make Caps fans cringe. It would require the names Alzner, Orlov or Green being throw around for sure and they are loath to give those up in any combo and rightfully so.

From and Oilers fan point of view I would only be happy with what would look like an overpayment. Not so much because I over value Gagner but because the oilers have been looking for a 1 and 2 center since the day doug weight left. Lowbellini foolishly convinced himself or may be owner did Horcoff was a #1 guy. If the Oilers trade Gagner, horcoff by default vaults back up into the #2 center roll which would make me sick.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Caps are not going to trade any of their young players from the current NHL roster.
And you want the Oilers to- for a late 1st and a 3rd rounder from three years ago?!

Please try and consider the needs and demands of the other team before tossing garbage like this out. You want a late 20s first rounder and Anton Lander for Johansson? If not, why would you think Edmonton would for a comparable player?

Old
02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Didn't 17 of Gagner's 40 points (i.e., 42.5%) come from one 5 game stretch?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
And you want the Oilers to- for a late 1st and a 3rd rounder from three years ago?!

Please try and consider the needs and demands of the other team before tossing garbage like this out. You want a late 20s first rounder and Anton Lander for Johansson? If not, why would you think Edmonton would for a comparable player?
Please quote an entire post instead of only using bits and pieces that support your hissy fit.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
dahlenrules

Don't want Gagner.
Great idea to trade for him when he is at his highest value ever.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Didn't 17 of Gagner's 40 points (i.e., 42.5%) come from one 5 game stretch?
He did have that 8 point game, but he's backed it up since then and has been the player we expected to be when we drafted him, so I see no reason why we'd trade him now. Thinking about horcoff being our second line center really scares the crap out of me.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Carlzner

I'd be interested in Gagner depending on the price.

Alzner is as untouchable as they get. I wouldn't give up Carlson for him.
Orlov... ehhhhh i'd really rather not. We'll see what happens if this is true.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:36 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Please quote an entire post instead of only using bits and pieces that support your hissy fit.
I'd quote the entire thread if I could, because the universal opinion of Caps fans who have posted in it is that they wouldn't give up a U25 roster player for a U25 roster player. The best any of you can seem to offer is Eakin/Wideman and a pick.

So again, for a third time, I ask you to put yourself in the shoes of the Oilers/their fans: would you trade Johansson for a late 1st and either a pending UFA or a non-bluechip prospect? If you would, I've grossly underestimated the package on offer. If you wouldn't, then...

Old
02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

If I were the Oilers, I would consider that trade, but maybe ask for more futures or picks.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Beerfish

You also have to remember who the caps coach is, thus probably the interest in Gagner perhaps more than other alternatives.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

None of the three young defensemen better be available for Gagner. It's Ecklund so it's trash anyhow.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I don't get why people are saying Gagner isn't a 2C. He's a 1b when you pair him with some stars, he's a solid #2 when playing with competent wingers (and not the Eric Belangers of the league). I'd love to get my hands on a guy like Alzner but Washington would not want to give him up going into the playoffs.

Orlov and Holtby for Gags is a great deal for Edmonton, though not sure Washington fans would agree haha.

02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
OILSLICK94

Gags is at an all time high in value, and is only 22 yrs old with 4yrs of NHL experience under his belt.

If I was Tambo discussions start with one name only, John Carlson he is exactly what Oilers need. they would have to add more obviously (defense prospect?) with Gagner.....To get any chance of a deal completed.

Maybe a deal around Orlov and Holtby might work, in a Edmonton P.O.V

Really like a Dubnyk/Holtby combo heading into 2012/13 one of them should emerge as a #1

If something like this goes down, then it's obvious the oil will be going with Gregorenko in the 2012 entry draft.

BUT BEING EKLUND FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:30 AM
IafrateOvie34

Too bad it isn't Dave Gagner.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:43 AM
NoLocus*

Can't see Gagner being moved until the Oilers know for sure they can get Grigorenko.

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Yes, Steve Tambellini would love to trade his burgeoning 2nd line center (1st liner with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins out) for your pending UFA, unproven prospect and draft pick. That makes complete and total sense for the Edmonton Oilers.

I "would do" Gilbert, Lander and a 2nd for Johansson, but something tells me you wouldn't.
He's had 40 pts every year. Dennis Wideman is only 2 pts less than him right now.

It may not make sense to you, but that is the most I can see the Caps giving up for an underperforming guy who happened to have one huge game in his career against a horrible goalie.

Gagner isn't that much better than Johannson. I never said it was a legitimate deal, i said that was the most i could see them giving up. If EDM doesn't take it, oh well. Don't see Gagner making the Caps any better.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:52 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quick question mods. Why is Eklund and acceptable source? He is literally 2.3% accurate

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:56 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Quick question mods. Why is Eklund and acceptable source? He is literally 2.3% accurate
Same reason people read the gossip mags. Sometimes it is true. Even though rare.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote